Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Waternut wrote: »

Was JD injured? I thought he would have started for Tipp and again comes with huge pedigree and reputation. He didn’t particularly look fit last night and I suspect that was the case with a good few of the Tipp and Waterford lads.

I don't think JD is injured - Devane doesn't seem to fancy him over others

Giveitfong wrote: »

Waterford have been quite competitive at minor level in recent years. In 2018 they beat Tipperary in Thurles (and played Limerick off the park in Limerick). Last year I am convinced they would have again beaten Tipperary in Thurles had Rory Furlong, one of their best players, not been sent off before half-time. They were also robbed of a win over Limerick by a dubious last-minute free (although they should have won the game anyway).

I said the same thing over on the Tipp thread and was told by Waterford poster, I think, that it wasn't a minor grade - despite many of the players having faced each other with a point in it - :D:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭spaceCreated

Giveitfong wrote: »
    There appears to be general surprise in the media, and among some posters here, at how competitive Waterford were in last night’s Under 20 game against Tipperary. This includes the TG4 commentator MacDara Mac Donncha who is based in Ring and writes the weekly GAA column for the Dungarvan Leader.

Waterford have been quite competitive at minor level in recent years. In 2018 they beat Tipperary in Thurles (and played Limerick off the park in Limerick). Last year I am convinced they would have again beaten Tipperary in Thurles had Rory Furlong, one of their best players, not been sent off before half-time. They were also robbed of a win over Limerick by a dubious last-minute free (although they should have won the game anyway).

A lot of last night’s players also stood out in this year’s senior club championship (and in the intermediate championship in the case of Sam Fitzgerald, who did a wonderful marking job on Mikey Kearney in the western final). I for one was expecting a good performance from Waterford and that was what we got.

Was it Horgan who was reffing the u21 match a few year ago in Walsh Park as well, should've beaten Cork only for some questionable refereeing :surprisedpickachuface

Yeah that was regrettable in fairness now. I was sick I'll be honest after the final whistle, so to see a lad writing "Waterford didn't want to win that game" got to me.

And to be honest I will stand over it, if I came on and said the same thing about Tipp and ye bet in that fashion plenty of lads would tell me where to go. Personally I think that game was lost in the first half, hard to see how it could be said otherwise with the chances missed.

They just about got done on the line by a piece of brilliance, they were right to try and hang on to what they had against a gale. If they'd left themselves exposed and conceded two goals 10 mins earlier people would have said they were naive.

You can't win when you lose.

Edit: I'll stand over getting annoyed I should say but I have no business telling lads where they can post.

Well you're miss quoting me there. I wrote:

"Waterford didn't want to win it, they wanted not to lose it. They never took the game on and finished the game off. They fell back and tried to defend the lead - time-wasting, instead of just burying it."

I can't help how you read it or read into it. But to clarify, Waterford had the foot on Tipp's throat and never pushed down - they hit the zombie with the gun instead of blowing it's head off - if that clarifies it for you.

I never said Waterford didn't want to win it.

formerlyET wrote: »
    Well you're miss quoting me there. I wrote:

"Waterford didn't want to win it....

I never said Waterford didn't want to win it.

I know you're busy arguing with someone else but I dont think you're making sense

• Advertisement

I know you're busy arguing with someone else but I dont think you're making sense

That's only the first part of a sentence of a larger point. Makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

How's de Búrcas leg?

That's only the first part of a sentence of a larger point. Makes perfect sense.

You said you didn't say something but its right there that you did?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

thesultan wrote: »
    How's de Búrcas leg?

Stop interrupting the keyboard warriors with actual Waterford GAA matters

You said you didn't say something but its right there that you did?

A half sentence reader! Nice! Never encountered one of them before. Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement

thesultan wrote: »
    How's de Búrcas leg?

Scans confirmed the bad news of a second anterior cruciate knee ligament (ACL) rupture- understood to be going under the knife again over the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Have to agree with giveitfong - but journalists are generally populist in their approach - for example the the current minor champions are generally favourites because they won it last year when it is possibly an entirely different team, as are all the orhers they are playing - they seldom look back at different underage grades or at individual results - I thought personally going into last nights game based on our last two years minor we had a right chance with some very good prospects and am glad to say was not disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭DeHorse88

What’s the list of players that Liam Cahill will be looking at to get into the panel?

Shane Bennett
    DJ Foran
    Mikey Kiely
    Sam Fitzgerald

I wouldn’t know the club scene too well in Waterford but know how Cahill operates he will do bring in youth that he thinks might offer something in a few years even when he is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

DeHorse88 wrote: »
    What’s the list of players that Liam Cahill will be looking at to get into the panel?

Shane Bennett
    DJ Foran
    Mikey Kiely
    Sam Fitzgerald

I wouldn’t know the club scene too well in Waterford but know how Cahill operates he will do bring in youth that he thinks might offer something in a few years even when he is gone?

What's the story with Shane Bennett, is there a chance he'll come back?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

I wouldnt know the club scene in Waterford too well myself but i recall Tommy Ryan breaking onto the team around 2 years ago and i thought he had potential but he played one or two games and was never heard of again.

Anyone know what happened there?

JeffKenna wrote: »
    What's the story with Shane Bennett, is there a chance he'll come back?

Unlikely. He hasn’t got the hunger for intercounty hurling. Proof is in the pudding he’s opted out for 2 of the past 3 years. Cahill only wants lads that show savage desire, can’t see him running with cap in hand to this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

baalad wrote: »
    I wouldnt know the club scene in Waterford too well myself but i recall Tommy Ryan breaking onto the team around 2 years ago and i thought he had potential but he played one or two games and was never heard of again.

Anyone know what happened there?

At the start of this year i thought he was one of waterfords best players over the last 2 years.
    Was very surprised when he wasn't on the panel this year.
    Similar stature to Dessie i suppose and they way the game is going he is likely less likely to feature now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,964 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Shane Bennett picekd the wrong time to come back with 2019 being Fannings disastrous campaign.

Hopefully he might give it a try for 2021 but as said LC doesn't take lads who won't give 100%

Having no pre season tournament and limited match day numbers makes it a little tricker

The way its going the 2021 IC season will be over as quickly as it started. League is been cut to only a handful of games and the knockout championship is staying. Teams will be done and dusted in May

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Seamus Keating hurl anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cnocsion

carq wrote: »
    At the start of this year i thought he was one of waterfords best players over the last 2 years.
    Was very surprised when he wasn't on the panel this year.
    Similar stature to Dessie i suppose and they way the game is going he is likely less likely to feature now.

Think he retired last year...dont think he was on the panel this year....lovely hurler...pace to burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Devine is who Waterford need back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

BloodyBill wrote: »
    like Jack McCaffrey involved in medicine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning

Frankie Machine and iebamm2580.

Cut out the nonsense or sanctions will be applied

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

BloodyBill wrote: »

Time to forget about Tom unfortunately and DJ too. DJ has been given lots of opportunities and has not shown that he has what it takes for senior county level. He’s a very good club hurler and it’s no disrespect and to the man, but his name keeps comes up this time every year and he has never been the solution in the past.

We shouldn’t be rushing lads through just because they are big: We need hurlers.

The Déise posted a deficit of €216,997 in their 2020 accounts. Gate receipts fell by almost €236,000 while fundraising dropped by €87,000. The board received government support of €84,734 and a further €50,000 from Sports Ireland.

“It’s pretty clear the financial hit that everybody took in GAA terms. Looking at gate receipts and fundraising that we lost out on, the deficit this year would not have been anywhere near €216,000. There is no real blame or fault for anyone on that. Absolutely, it is a troublesome situation that we find ourselves in but, collectively, I’ve no doubt that we’ll work our way through it.”

Gaultier delegate Richard Finnegan called for a commercial manager to be appointed.

“If you look around the other counties in Munster, Tipp have a surplus of 20K, Limerick a surplus of 100K, Kilkenny 60K surplus, Wexford half a million. We had a greater deficit than Cork and Kerry combined which would be a huge, huge concern. We need to appoint a commercial revenue manager in the first two weeks of next year and start driving revenue for the board.”

County secretary Pat Flynn replied that Waterford aren’t the only county that recorded a loss.

“Richard mentioned a number of counties but he didn’t mention Clare who have a deficit of €500,000 or Kerry who have a deficit of €100,000. Other counties don’t include depreciation so it’s not fair to compare like with like.”

• Registered Users Posts: 17 PF28

Tom Devine doesn't even live in the same hemisphere! And doesn't play Hurling anymore due to his concussion injuries. And is full time in his medical career!

Will Yee give up those asking for his return for god's sake. Do Yee listen at all.

The Déise posted a deficit of €216,997 in their 2020 accounts. Gate receipts fell by almost €236,000 while fundraising dropped by €87,000. The board received government support of €84,734 and a further €50,000 from Sports Ireland.

“It’s pretty clear the financial hit that everybody took in GAA terms. Looking at gate receipts and fundraising that we lost out on, the deficit this year would not have been anywhere near €216,000. There is no real blame or fault for anyone on that. Absolutely, it is a troublesome situation that we find ourselves in but, collectively, I’ve no doubt that we’ll work our way through it.”

Gaultier delegate Richard Finnegan called for a commercial manager to be appointed.

“If you look around the other counties in Munster, Tipp have a surplus of 20K, Limerick a surplus of 100K, Kilkenny 60K surplus, Wexford half a million. We had a greater deficit than Cork and Kerry combined which would be a huge, huge concern. We need to appoint a commercial revenue manager in the first two weeks of next year and start driving revenue for the board.”

County secretary Pat Flynn replied that Waterford aren’t the only county that recorded a loss.

“Richard mentioned a number of counties but he didn’t mention Clare who have a deficit of €500,000 or Kerry who have a deficit of €100,000. Other counties don’t include depreciation so it’s not fair to compare like with like.”

Fair play to Finnegan for challenging the status quo here. It’s time for Pat Flynn and his chronies to say bye bye, we’ve had 10 plus years of gross mismanagement of funds ever before there was a pandemic but they’ll hide behind this for another 2 or 3 years. Nothing is going to change while the same gob****es that brought the county to its knees are still entrusted with trying to change our fortunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

It’s all fine highlighting the figures and making suggestions about commercial managers etc but what is the mechanism for making these things a reality. A ‘commercial manager’ of the county board won’t come for free. The financial position clearly shows that the board can scarcely afford to stay afloat and if a business would be declared insolvent.....a major financial backer is required like limerick and other counties have but doesn’t look like any Waterford born mega rich businesses people out there are interested enough in gaa....Would the massively successful ‘queally’ group not be worth approaching? Maybe the new co board chairman o’regan will surprise us over the next 3/4 years.....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Finnegan is the Richard Boyd Barrett of Waterford GAA. Constantly complaining about everything but was an absolute disaster when he had an actual job to do.

However for once he is right.

And Pat Flynn's five years must surely be up.
    However don't be surprised if he suddenly then starts in a new Commercial Manager position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Finnegan is the Richard Boyd Barrett of Waterford GAA. Constantly complaining about everything but was an absolute disaster when he had an actual job to do.

However for once he is right.

And Pat Flynn's five years must surely be up.
    However don't be surprised if he suddenly then starts in a new Commercial Manager position.

The county secretary job is a paid position and is interview based so there is an interview every 5 years I think but there is no stipulation that Pat Flynn can't get the job again. I know Frank Murphy was county secretary in Cork for donkey's years.

I felt the last regime weren't progressive enough & really panicked on the appointment of Padraig Fanning. The biggest disappointment was in that they were a joke in terms of not standing their ground when it came to Walsh Park & having to play home games in Limerick & Thurles in 2018. The time it took to decide on Walsh Park & get the funding also didn't sit well. The whole saga of rows on Deise Today & on WLR in general was an embarrassment at the time & still today, has proper work started on Walsh Park?

For 2020, it was nice to see Seán Michael O'Regan get the position of chairman rather than the constant merry go round with former chairman coming back in or people on the board changing jobs but the financial figures are worrying when compared to other counties.

However I want to say, for once, praise the county board for certain things. They got in a young, enthusiastic manager & a progressive coach for our senior team & backed them. The streaming of the club championship was excellent, even if it wasn't financially a success. Club Deise was the main driving force but the fundraising night in advance of the final was a success & raised vital funds to prepare the team. The football championship not being finished is a blip on the year & could have been avoided in my opinion.

I think when Waterford GAA people reflect on 2020 in terms of hurling, it will be generally positive. Our senior hurling team have made great strides & were beaten by a superior team in the final, that's all to be said on that but 2021 is a new year & with Cahill & co and our committed players who give up their own free time & more, there is a lot to look forward to.

Advertisement