Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The death of Thiago Cortes MOD NOTE IN OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

We really need a more forceful police force backed up by the justice system who are able to tell the hug a hoodie crowd to go fcuk themselves.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Gardai in the area are unmotivated. Could you blame them the way the judges and legal system act. I'm living in the area, so many little scumbags.

Rubbish. They'd be motivated quick enough if a mansion in Foxrock was been broken into. Let's call a spade a spade a lot of them are actually afraid of these little sh1ts. It's not just city centre either these scummers are ruining areas all over the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It's not just city centre either these scummers are ruining areas all over the country.

Indeed.

Theres a group of teenagers that hang around McDonalds in the mill centre in clondalkin most days, causing trouble. Lately its been firing fireworks at houses and the like.

The Garda station is less than 100m away, across the road from McDonalds. They do fook all about it. The group is there from the afternoon till after 10 most nights. It's not like they'd have to go far to find them and there no way they cant hear and see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Might a 'drunk tank' type solution work? Lock up for 24 hrs when there is any anti social behaviour. Keep at it for a year or so..

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

have they identified or gotten the driver? alot of speculation i know but so many road deaths in this country, is it bad roads versus modern faster cars? anyone lost on the roads is a tragic and unnecessary death imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭ordinaryfella

Saw this story and reminded me of this thread. More examples of how these people are just allowed to be attacked: https://extra.ie/2020/09/12/news/irish-news/deliveroo-cyclists-tell-how-they-are-routinely-attacked-on-treacherous-routes

Still no word on arrests and it seems to have gone completely out of the news cycle. I emailed 4 tds about this and got 2 boilerplate/automated replies thanking me for the email. No one in power cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Have they made any arrests in relation to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Unbelievable. She's pointing the finger at deliveroo. Any chance of her campaigning for tougher sentences for the actions of an unlicensed, dangerous driver who left a defenceless cyclist to die on the side of the road?

Unbelievable. She's pointing the finger at deliveroo. Any chance of her campaigning for tougher sentences for the actions of an unlicensed, dangerous driver who left a defenceless cyclist to die on the side of the road?

Any employer (whether direct or sub-contractor) has a legal obligation to provide a safe working environment for their employee. The HSA investigation should see if Deliveroo met those obligations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

If ever there was a case of someone trying to make themselves relevant.

Deliveroo provides an in demand service.

ChikiChiki wrote: »

Deliveroo provides an in demand service.

It doesn't matter whether it is in-demand or not. They STILL have to provide a safe working environment for their employees and contractors.

They could start by paying their employees sick pay and annual leave etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any employer (whether direct or sub-contractor) has a legal obligation to provide a safe working environment for their employee. The HSA investigation should see if Deliveroo met those obligations.

Unless they provided him with an Abrams tank to drive around in his safety couldn't be guaranteed against a juvenille driving unlicenced in a car which had no insurance, tax or nct all of which are legal requirements in this country to be on the road.

Unless they provided him with an Abrams tank to drive around in his safety couldn't be guaranteed against a juvenille driving unlicenced in a car which had no insurance, tax or nct all of which are legal requirements in this country to be on the road.

And if they knew that was a credible risk, and failed to take any mitigating steps (and that's exactly the kind of thing an investigation would show up), they may well have breached the Health, Safety and Welfare at Work Act.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

"Traffic accident" FFS!
    :rolleyes:

You have got to recognise that Brazilian fast food delivery guys are not exactly an important voting block. :pac:

The politicians dont give a f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

The actual reality here is that Thiago would have actually registered under someone elses name and pps number. Non EU residents as far as i know cannot work for Deliveroo. The vast vast majority are actually working under other peoples details (people who have a EU passport) in exchange for €50 a week or 10% of their weekly take.

But really anyone thinking that deliveroo are somehow to blame are living in a another world.

All the blame here is with the scumbags who killed this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

How far left you have to be to blame a company for the death this poor man?

Some people here should be ashamed of their behaviour.

CucaFace wrote: »
    The actual reality here is that Thiago would have actually registered under someone elses name and pps number. Non EU residents as far as i know cannot work for Deliveroo. The vast vast majority are actually working under other peoples details (people who have a EU passport) in exchange for €50 a week or 10% of their weekly take.

What's that got to do with Deliveroo's obligations under health and safety legislation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

But really anyone thinking that deliveroo are somehow to blame are living in a another world.

(I) I think speculation about his work permit is inappropriate.

(II) I agree 100% about your comments on deliveroo.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭CucaFace

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    (I) I think speculation about his work permit is inappropriate.

(II) I agree 100% about your comments on deliveroo.

I made no comments regarding his work permit per say as i know he was on an English course which means he can work here legally. I work in the English language sector so i know all this pretty well and have many many friends working for Deliveroo. Non EU residents can't actually work for this company so they all work under other peoples names and PPS numbers who charge them money for this. This i feel will complicate any help Thiago's family will get from Deliveroo (unfortunately).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I made no comments regarding his work permit per say as i know he was on an English course which means he can work here legally. I work in the English language sector so i know all this pretty well and have many many friends working for Deliveroo. Non EU residents can't actually work for this company so they all work under other peoples names and PPS numbers who charge them money for this. This i feel will complicate any help Thiago's family will get from Deliveroo (unfortunately).

Interesting. In my experience the vast majority of Deliveroo staff in Dublin are Brazilian. You sure non EU folk cant work for them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭macpaccrack

You are such a complete and utter miserable ****.

That bitterness and resentment must come from years of self loathing you complete sad act

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Fritzbox

Non EU residents can't actually work for this company

Why not?

If they have permission to work in Ireland (as you have stated) why can't they work for a fast food delivery service?

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/news/thiagos-visa-did-not-allow-him-to-work-for-deliveroo-39545166.html

Well the Indo confirms his visa " did not allow him to work for deliveroo"...i dont have a subscription, does anyone else? Presume his visa only allowed certain types of work and precluded others? Or is it a deliveroo policy? Seems to confirm CucaFaces post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

It’s incredibly sad that he has died, and the scum who hit him and ran off should jailed for a significant amount of time (I doubt they will though) but all factors need to be looked at - and if he was not breaking the law he’d likely be alive.

That’s not cruel, it’s not “victim blaming” - it’s a fact. There is a huge black economy of “language students” coming to Ireland learning nothing but working cash in hand. I’m learning a language currently from a 40 euro app - there must be some other reason people fly round the world???

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

You are such a complete and utter miserable ****.

That bitterness and resentment must come from years of self loathing you complete sad act

That’s a bit much.

Actually

Fcuk it - sorry now but that post of yours is completely over the top

If deliveroo don’t want non Eu employees and Tiago was working for them under false pretenses then take it up with deliveroo !

Gervais08 wrote: »
    There is a huge black economy of “language students” coming to Ireland learning nothing but working cash in hand. I’m learning a language currently from a 40 euro app - there must be some other reason people fly round the world???
    Yeah the language school industry here is largely a crock, has been for years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Gervais08 wrote: »
    It’s incredibly sad that he has died, and the scum who hit him and ran off should jailed for a significant amount of time (I doubt they will though) but all factors need to be looked at - and if he was not breaking the law he’d likely be alive.

That’s not cruel, it’s not “victim blaming” - it’s a fact. There is a huge black economy of “language students” coming to Ireland learning nothing but working cash in hand. I’m learning a language currently from a 40 euro app - there must be some other reason people fly round the world???
    Care to elaborate on the bit in bold?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement