Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

schmoo2k wrote: »
    It will be along the lines of:
    525651.jpg

Note 1: That screenshot is from the newer unit, but the older one is similar (from memory).
    Note 2: You can do the same with the old Horizon TV box as well (which is what I was originally suggesting)
    Note 3: Its simpler if you never use the WAN input when you're doing this (on your box its the coax cable so not applicable). If you do use the Wan, then you would enable DHCP and its basically another firewall inside your house (which can be good for advanced applications).

Many Thanks!!

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Very quick answer is yes - but would need to know more about what equipment you have.

If your TV is "Smart" and if it supports local networks and/or apps like Plex then you can configure your PC so that the movie files can be "served" directly to your TV (either by a shared drive, or by running a server like Plex Server).

If not then you will need a "box" that can (anyone known if the new TV 360 box do this?).

I retired my old "box" as my TV supports apps, so am not up to date to recommend one (but you will get cheap ones for less than 50 Euros I suspect)

This is my TV

https://www.sony.ie/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-55xe8396/specifications

https://www.electronicworldtv.co.uk/55-sony-kd55xe8396-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-freeview-hd-smart-android-led-tv

It would ideal to be able to send files directly to the TV from the PC or I would be happy to get a media box if it can play all media types to the TV...

Never heard of Plex - sounds very interesting! But ideally I would like to get a media hub where I can downlaod content to the device and it will work on my Sony TV. I know if I plug a USB drive into the TV directly Sony blocks it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

sticker wrote: »
    Never heard of Plex - sounds very interesting! But ideally I would like to get a media hub where I can downlaod content to the device and it will work on my Sony TV. I know if I plug a USB drive into the TV directly Sony blocks it...

Very stable!
    I used my old PC before - stored all media on it, and used that as a server.
    I upgraded to a new server this year - Synology 918+ and that does the job very well.
    So what I do now - move the content from my PC to the server, and that does the sharing to any device, including my TV, phones, tablets. I can also share content with other people.
    There is an annual subscription - about 50 euro I think - to set up as a server.

deravarra wrote: »
    Very stable!
    I used my old PC before - stored all media on it, and used that as a server.
    I upgraded to a new server this year - Synology 918+ and that does the job very well.
    So what I do now - move the content from my PC to the server, and that does the sharing to any device, including my TV, phones, tablets. I can also share content with other people.
    There is an annual subscription - about 50 euro I think - to set up as a server.

Thanks - and apologies for editing my origional post above. It does sound a bit involved... I'm only really using it for movies for the big TV downstairs, but as I mentioned above Sony seems to block any attempt at direct feeding of media into the back of the TV via portable storage...

• Advertisement

Thanks - and apologies for editing my origional post above. It does sound a bit involved... I'm only really using it for movies for the big TV downstairs, but as I mentioned above Sony seems to block any attempt at direct feeding of media into the back of the TV via portable storage...

Did you google to see if other folks have the same issue?

I used Plex to stream movies to an older samsung - about 7 years old - and it worked ok. Upgraded to a 2019 QLED - and the difference is huge. Same movies are showing in a much better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

I had placed an order with them. Pre install team came along the next day and told me my driveway would have to be dug up and even after doing that, there would be no guarantee that I could get anywhere near 1 gig downloads.

Disappointing, especially since their prices were way lower than VM's

Not sure why they said that, FTTH is very consistent with being able to deliver the full 1Gb speed they can offer. There can be exceptions but usually they seem to be related to faults, contention or transit issues.

My most recent Vodafone (SIRO) contract actually gave the following speed commitment:
    Fibre to the Home Broadband Services
    Your broadband line can realistically deliver the speed that is
    advertised and Vodafone will commit to delivering maximum and
    normally available download speeds above 90% of advertised speed.
    i.e for 1Gbps service the maximum committed and normally
    available speed above 900Mbps.

dam099 wrote: »
    Not sure why they said that, FTTH is very consistent with being able to deliver the full 1Gb speed they can offer. There can be exceptions but usually they seem to be related to faults, contention or transit issues.

Oh I know. I queried it with Siro, and they said that the reason why I couldnt be connected was that I refused them to dig where they needed. I said that I refused because I was told there was no guarantee that I could get the 1gig downloads.

The pre install group mentioned that they would have to connect to a point about 75 metres away, and this was the reason they were not confident about reaching maximum speeds. Siro responded to this and said they can connect to points 250 metres away and get the speeds.

Still not 100% confident about going ahead, because the driveway was done with patterned concrete - meaning any dig would need a substantial fix afterwards (and costly to get back to the original look) and the original driveway install could have crushed ducting which would make it nigh on impossible to get a pull through - meaning more digging!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

This is my TV

https://www.sony.ie/electronics/support/televisions-projectors-lcd-tvs-android-/kd-55xe8396/specifications

https://www.electronicworldtv.co.uk/55-sony-kd55xe8396-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-freeview-hd-smart-android-led-tv

It would ideal to be able to send files directly to the TV from the PC or I would be happy to get a media box if it can play all media types to the TV...

Looks like that TV supports Android - here is what I would suggest:
    1. Install Plex on the PC and get it setup so that your movies are available via the library feature.
    2. Install Plex on the TV (Via Google Play Store) and assoiciate it with your PC (you will have setup a free account in step 1).
    3. If everything is working fine then you don't need a TV Media box. but you might want a dedicated Media Server instead of your PC?

I don't know what's going on, but after me saying I would rather a stable 500mb connection rather than an unstable 1 gig connection, my VM connection has had a number of dropouts over the past few days while I was working from home.
    Hub would just reboot and re-connect. All well in the end, but as I am working from home it's not ideal when working on time critical jobs.

Today's dropout log:

08-09-2020 13:00:10 critical No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;
    08-09-2020 12:42:13 warning MIMO Event MIMO: Stored MIMO=-1 post cfg file MIMO=-1;CM-MAC
    Yesterday's:

07-09-2020 13:53:30 warning
    07-09-2020 13:53:25 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;CM-MAC
    07-09-2020 13:52:57 critical Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out
    07-09-2020 13:52:43 warning Lost MDD Timeout;CM-MAC
    07-09-2020 13:52:37 critical SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync;

and noticed upstream channels had T3 timeouts

Upstream bonded channels
    Channel Channel Type T1 Timeouts T2 Timeouts T3 Timeouts T4 Timeouts
    1 2.0 0 0 0 0
    2 2.0 0 0 0 0
    3 2.0 0 0 0 0
    4 2.0 0 0 1 0
    5 2.0 0 0 1 0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

What are you spending €50 on? PlexPass?

degsie wrote: »
    What are you spending €50 on? PlexPass?

The free tier will be fine for what the op is doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭tusk

Upgraded to this a couple of weeks ago. It's great. Absolutely no problems whatever. With generally 4 kids and two adults either playing games it streaming a lot of the time concurrently.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 RandR

Hi all,
    Ordered Monday as out of contract and haggled for 1gb bundle. Unit arrived next day, Tuesday. I did bare bones setup with no extra config or hardware. Getting 950 down + 50 up on cat 6 ethernet and 320'ish on wifi on phone.
    So far, so good.

RandR wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Ordered Monday as out of contract and haggled for 1gb bundle. Unit arrived next day, Tuesday. I did bare bones setup with no extra config or hardware. Getting 950 down + 50 up on cat 6 ethernet and 320'ish on wifi on phone.
    So far, so good.

Same here - I had a sparks in this evening dropping a line from attic out the front of house to the sitting room. Still a bit of tuning to be done, but when setup I'll have the 1 gig line downstairs too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

think of cancelling and getting ftth 500/50mb for less than im paying for 350mb with vm

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

irishgeo wrote: »
    think of cancelling and getting ftth 500/50mb for less than im paying for 350mb with vm

Thats what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

Hi all,
    So far, so good.

Ordered almost 4 weeks ago and still waiting :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭FaganJr

allanroche wrote: »
    Jesus, I'm over 2 weeks, if I'm waiting another week, I'll cancel!
    Are you getting charged for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Oh I know. I queried it with Siro, and they said that the reason why I couldnt be connected was that I refused them to dig where they needed. I said that I refused because I was told there was no guarantee that I could get the 1gig downloads.

The pre install group mentioned that they would have to connect to a point about 75 metres away, and this was the reason they were not confident about reaching maximum speeds. Siro responded to this and said they can connect to points 250 metres away and get the speeds.

Still not 100% confident about going ahead, because the driveway was done with patterned concrete - meaning any dig would need a substantial fix afterwards (and costly to get back to the original look) and the original driveway install could have crushed ducting which would make it nigh on impossible to get a pull through - meaning more digging!

If your already serviced by Virgin coaxial, digging up and repairing your driveway seems doesn't seem to give any real ROI for the fiber install.

• Advertisement

I ordered through the VM loyalty team. Took a 40 min wait and 10 min conversation on phone. Probably too late to be of help to you but might help other existing customers looking to upgrade.

FaganJr wrote: »
    Jesus, I'm over 2 weeks, if I'm waiting another week, I'll cancel!
    Are you getting charged for that?

No charge until the router is actually provisioned and you start using the service I'm told. My order keeps getting reprocessed but they never send the equipment and when I call they just reprocess the order.
    I ordered through the VM loyalty team. Took a 40 min wait and 10 min conversation on phone. Probably too late to be of help to you but might help other existing customers looking to upgrade.

Did you ring up specifically about it or were you looking to leave? Did you have any issues with it?

No charge until the router is actually provisioned and you start using the service I'm told. My order keeps getting reprocessed but they never send the equipment and when I call they just reprocess the order.

Did you ring up specifically about it or were you looking to leave? Did you have any issues with it?[/quote

I was out of contract and thinking about leaving so whatsapped and then rang to see what they could do.
    Got the bundle and have had no trouble so far, mind you I only got it yesterday.

Thanks a million, I'm on hold now... again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ferdinand5

Hi guys

I wouldnt be the most technology savvy so I'm hoping for some assistance/guidance.

Currently with Sky Fibre and receive speed of about 14mbs over wifi, even connected via cable doesnt improve it too much say maybe 17mbs. My wife is about to start a new job that will mean the 2 of us will be working from home and obviously i'm very concerned over the speed so I've been looking into this offer.

If it is advertised as 1gb, I assume that this would be a massive upgrade on what i currently have. I've noticed some people are having problems with it connected over wifi - would there be a substantial drop off over wifi that I could end up with a worse download speed than i currently have?

Living in a standard 3 bed house in Dublin so hoping there arent many blockages around the house that could interfere with the signal travelling around the house.

Is moving the location of your phone line access point an option for Virgin to do it? Currently have our out by the front door in a hallway but if we moved it to the sitting room where we have a desk set up it would at least guarantee one of us a wired connection.

I'm lost in trying to understand how some people have set up their networks.

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

ferdinand5 wrote: »
    Hi guys

I wouldnt be the most technology savvy so I'm hoping for some assistance/guidance.

Currently with Sky Fibre and receive speed of about 14mbs over wifi, even connected via cable doesnt improve it too much say maybe 17mbs. My wife is about to start a new job that will mean the 2 of us will be working from home and obviously i'm very concerned over the speed so I've been looking into this offer.

If it is advertised as 1gb, I assume that this would be a massive upgrade on what i currently have. I've noticed some people are having problems with it connected over wifi - would there be a substantial drop off over wifi that I could end up with a worse download speed than i currently have?

Living in a standard 3 bed house in Dublin so hoping there arent many blockages around the house that could interfere with the signal travelling around the house.

Is moving the location of your phone line access point an option for Virgin to do it? Currently have our out by the front door in a hallway but if we moved it to the sitting room where we have a desk set up it would at least guarantee one of us a wired connection.

Thanks for the help

Your current WiFi is probably not performing to its optimum as at those rates WiFi and Ethernet should be about the same (both are limited by your internet connection which is presumably Fibre to the Cabinet only).

You wont get the full 1Gb over Wifi without some serious investment in routers and probably new client devices but with either the Virgin router or affordable 3rd party routers/mesh points you should get 100Mbps-400Mbps over WiFi unless you have some serious interference/blocking going on and wired close to the full 1Gbps.

Virgin dont the use the phone line (are you in a Virgin area) so they will have to run a new point unless you already have a point (like a cable TV one) somewhere already. They are usually quite accommodating about bringing it in to a suitable location.

Modem/Bridge Mode available straight away. I had this active on my connection with the previous Hub.
    GUI, is the same I see very little if any difference. Cant change away from the default 192.168/16 subnet, cant change DNS. It is all very much the same.

I need to do some work and wont get a chance to test till later, however quick speedtest and browsing feels smoother, no little pauses or hangups, but could be a placebo affect.

Can anyone recommend a router with gigabit switch support to use with the VM hardware in modem / bridge mode?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

I’ve been getting inexplicable drops in WiFi connection since I installed the 1Gig router.

Rang Tech Support today and explained the issue. He ran some tests at his end and couldn’t see a problem with the incoming connection. And the output was as expected in the house.

Anyway, he suggested that the box may have got bashed around in transit and has now organised for a new one to be sent out in the next day or two.

I’ve an awful feeling that the new box won’t fix the intermittent dropping of the signal but! 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ferdinand5 wrote: »

You don't have sky fiber at 14mbps. You have ADSL, which they sold as "Fiber to the Cab".

If Virgin services are in your area, they offer a product in which ADSL can't compete.

The lowest package would be more then sufficient for your needs(250mb/25mb). In a 3 bed house, wireless should be functional.

Virgin uses the coaxial cables, what people would commonly associate with TV. If you don't have a install point, the installer will put it where you want, within reason.

• Advertisement

La Haine wrote: »
    I’ve been getting inexplicable drops in WiFi connection since I installed the 1Gig router.

Rang Tech Support today and explained the issue. He ran some tests at his end and couldn’t see a problem with the incoming connection. And the output was as expected in the house.

Anyway, he suggested that the box may have got bashed around in transit and has now organised for a new one to be sent out in the next day or two.

I’ve an awful feeling that the new box won’t fix the intermittent dropping of the signal but! ��

Hopefully for your sake it is the box or just teething problems with the roll-out. Keep us posted though.

I love how you're on to your second box and I can't even get one 😂

Advertisement