Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

deravarra wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that quote. For most people who live in the real world of a family all scrambling for internet connection with multiple devices - 4k streaming, online gaming, huge downloads and uploads - a 1 Gb download is well worth it.

No, I'm afraid non of that is true. All of the above work perfectly well on 250/25.

4k streaming - only uses about 25mb/s, you could simultaneously stream 10 separate 4k videos at the same time on a 250 service.

Online gaming - Hardly uses any bandwidth, latency/ping is more important for online gaming.

huge downloads and uploads - Usually throttled by the servers you are uploading/downloading too, you would rarely see 1gig download speed from most servers.
    Again, a poor grasp of reality of what goes on in irish households. For the household with multiple connected devices, a 250 mb package will not cut it. As if all folks ever upload is a 2mb office document :rolleyes:
    There are plenty of folks out there who upload considerably bigger files than that, and on multiple occasions throughout the day. I am one of those folks. My average document upload is approx 2 gb, and I would upload between 8 to 10 of these every week.

Most people, even those working from home, aren't frequently uploading large files.

Let's take your own example. 2GB (I assume you mean Gigabyte and not gigabit like your wrote), well on the 250 service it would take just over 11 minutes to upload. On the 1 gig service it would take 5 minutes 43 seconds (assuming the server you are uploading to can handle it.).

Sure, there is a difference there, but pretty marginal one. And do you really see a real benefit? Do you sit there twiddling your thumbs waiting for the upload to finish, would you not work on something else while the upload is happening in the background?

I do big uploads quiet a bit for work on the 250/25 service, it works fine.

If you are a serious uploader (videographer, etc.) then the 500/50 makes a lot of sense. But the 1gig/50 doesn't offer any extra upload speed over that and really doesn't offer much real world benefit to most people, not for the high price being asked IMO.

Don't get me wrong, if you want higher speeds, fire away. But most people are unlikely to see much real world benefit versus the 250 service and might want to consider if it is worth the extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭deravarra

bk wrote: »
    No, I'm afraid non of that is true. All of the above work perfectly well on 250/25.

4k streaming - only uses about 25mb/s, you could simultaneously stream 10 separate 4k videos at the same time on a 250 service.

Online gaming - Hardly uses any bandwidth, latency/ping is more important for online gaming.

huge downloads and uploads - Usually throttled by the servers you are uploading/downloading too, you would rarely see 1gig download speed from most servers.

Most people, even those working from home, aren't frequently uploading large files.

Let's take your own example. 2GB (I assume you mean Gigabyte and not gigabit like your wrote), well on the 250 service it would take just over 11 minutes to upload. On the 1 gig service it would take 5 minutes 43 seconds (assuming the server you are uploading to can handle it.).

Sure, there is a difference there, but pretty marginal one. And do you really see a real benefit? Do you sit there twiddling your thumbs waiting for the upload to finish, would you not work on something else while the upload is happening in the background?

I do big uploads quiet a bit for work on the 250/25 service, it works fine.

If you are a serious uploader (videographer, etc.) then the 500/50 makes a lot of sense. But the 1gig/50 doesn't offer any extra upload speed over that and really doesn't offer much real world benefit to most people, not for the high price being asked IMO.

Don't get me wrong, if you want higher speeds, fire away. But most people are unlikely to see much real world benefit versus the 250 service and might want to consider if it is worth the extra cost.

Pardon me for typing gb rather than Gb.

I have noticed a substantial difference between the previous services I have had with VM and the 500 Mbps that I have now.

Even if you might never go above the 120 kph speed limit on the motorway, it is nice knowing that you can. You just need the right road and the right car.
    To suggest folks don't buy that jag or that they limit their driving to national roads is imposing your own views on others.

If you don't want the 1 Gbps service, don't go for it. But don't bemoan the fact that others have ordered it, or want it. It's their choice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That's why they said a "good" mesh system. Plenty of folks buy a low cost system expecting it to be amazing. You get what you pay for.

The good ones are 1k plus. And they have a limited spectrum to work with, are limited to areas with power points and will go downhill fast as older devices connect(common wifi problem) and other "mesh" or powerful AP's go up in the vicinity. Also, the larger the mesh and the number of connected devices, the slower it gets due to congestion. Wireless, both 2.4 and 5 is a congested medium in general. And powerline, which is again a half duplex ring connection is no better.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with that quote. For most people who live in the real world of a family all scrambling for internet connection with multiple devices - 4k streaming, online gaming, huge downloads and uploads - a 1 Gb download is well worth it.

Everything is wrong with that quote. Netflix themselves say, 25Mbps for a 4k steam with HDR. And its less then that, that's them being safe with their numbers. What household has 10+ 4K devices streaming at the same time? And this is ignoring how TCP works and how streaming services work around congestion.
    Again, a poor grasp of reality of what goes on in irish households. For the household with multiple connected devices, a 250 mb package will not cut it. As if all folks ever upload is a 2mb office document :rolleyes:
    There are plenty of folks out there who upload considerably bigger files than that, and on multiple occasions throughout the day. I am one of those folks. My average document upload is approx 2 gb, and I would upload between 8 to 10 of these every week.

Do you think 2 gig "documents" are common place? What exactly would constitute needing that much storage for a common office worker?

I will base my experience on the networks I manage, with offices with containing hundreds to thousands of people who do not use or require 1Gbps of download bandwidth in their day to day and have no onsite services besides the network.

And lets look a the difference for your niche use case.

The time in uploading between Virgins packages.
    1000 = 5.35
    500 = 5.35
    250 = 11.11

The time to download those large files each week assuming the end to end line can provide the bandwidth.

1000 = 0.16
    500 = 0.33
    250 = 1:07

What a large difference this 1 gig network will make to your life. That extra 2.5 minutes a week must be well worth the extra 180 Euros a year to you. What a world you must live in, if your company isn't also paying out its arse for bandwidth it never uses.
    What's even worse is assuming you know everyone's needs.

Perhaps you would feel more at home on After Hours :cool:

Don't bother with facts or figures, head straight to the insults to support your arguments. In the meantime I'll be here backing up my arguments with real numbers and real experience.

Been onto technical support for over an hour and I’m getting the usual excuses such as number of devices connected etc, just got. 68.8 download on wired connection ! And many dropped connections to the internet itself. WiFi signal can be full strength but no internet !
    And they tell me that 300 down is very fast on a wired connection ... did I miss something somewhere , thought i signed up for 1gb so I’d expect at least 8-900 on wired, only other thing on wired connection is the sky box

They are feeding you crap. During the day, using a wire and using speedtest.net with Virgins server you should get speeds at or close to the amount you are paying for.

It should also not be dropping multiple times a day.

Every Virgin speed upgrade in the past seems to have come with teething problems.

Pardon me for typing gb rather than Gb.

I have noticed a substantial difference between the previous services I have had with VM and the 500 Mbps that I have now.

Even if you might never go above the 120 kph speed limit on the motorway, it is nice knowing that you can. You just need the right road and the right car.
    To suggest folks don't buy that jag or that they limit their driving to national roads is imposing your own views on others.

If you don't want the 1 Gbps service, don't go for it. But don't bemoan the fact that others have ordered it, or want it. It's their choice ;)

Makes no difference to either of us, never will. Its for the people who are not stuck in post-purchase rationalisation and are thinking of upgrading.

• Advertisement

Don't bother with facts or figures, head straight to the insults to support your arguments

:D
    lolz

After hours is there for you

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

I've been using the new product the last few days and have been really happy with the speed boost, particularly with direct downloads to my wired NAS. Bundled with the new TV360 box and a small discount as an existing customer I have zero regrets. Additional upload would be nice but we'll see what happens over the next few months and perhaps another vendor may offer services on my area with a higher upload.

As I've mentioned in a previous post I've had a really good experience with Netgears mesh system (Orbi's) and had no problem maxing out the 500/50 connection anywhere in my home. On the new package 600 - 650 to my mobile and slightly less on my laptop seems to be the norm. I bought the router and 2 Satellites to cover my house from top to bottom (3 Floors) from Amazon costing about 500EUR. I've also installed them in the my old family home and the in-laws and they have been 100% solid.

LoGiE wrote: »
    I've been using the new product the last few days and have been really happy with the speed boost, particularly with direct downloads to my wired NAS. Bundled with the new TV360 box and a small discount as an existing customer I have zero regrets. Additional upload would be nice but we'll see what happens over the next few months and perhaps another vendor may offer services on my area with a higher upload.

As I've mentioned in a previous post I've had a really good experience with Netgears mesh system (Orbi's) and had no problem maxing out the 500/50 connection anywhere in my home. On the new package 600 - 650 to my mobile and slightly less on my laptop seems to be the norm. I bought the router and 2 Satellites to cover my house from top to bottom (3 Floors) from Amazon costing about 500EUR. I've also installed them in the my old family home and the in-laws and they have been 100% solid.

apparently you don't need the speed :o

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

:D
    lolz

After hours is there for you
    apparently you don't need the speed :o

MOD: Enough of this, you are just trolling now and not adding anything to this conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

Just insatlled mine - Wow...

Ordered it yesterday and arrived this afternoon.

2020-09-04_18-45-23.png

• Advertisement

Is this the Mesh System you got?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Protection-Satellite-Extenders-Eliminate/dp/B07T4CJBDG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=NETGEAR+Orbi&qid=1599242003&s=computers&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMllWODZEUzFHOVMwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDk3MTI0M05KWE8xSFBKMEhHWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTQ3MDMzM0VJQ09QOTIySjdNRSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Is there much setup?

I'm in a 3 bed semi with router in converted attic and main entertainment setup 2 floors down. Would I need the 2nd satelite? Can I use a switch to add more hard line ethernets to the satelite downstairs? Will it degrade the signal?

bk wrote: »
    MOD: Enough of this, you are just trolling now and not adding anything to this conversation.

Let's hope you admonish the others who added nothing to the topic but dismiss people who wanted 1 Gig.

It's one thing to say you personally do not need 1 Gb download speeds, but entirely another to be dismissive of those who want them.

Let's hope you admonish the others who added nothing to the topic but dismiss people who wanted 1 Gig.

It's one thing to say you personally do not need 1 Gb download speeds, but entirely another to be dismissive of those who want them.

Everyone here is allowed to express the opinions on a particular product, offering both the pros and cons of a product.

I don't see anyone dismissing those who want 1gig. I see people with deep technical knowledge of the subject, offering their expertise, so those who might be interested in this product have a better understanding of it and if it will really benefit them and if it will be worth the extra money or not.

That way people can make an informed decision based on technically accurate information.

sticker wrote: »
    Is this the Mesh System you got?
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Protection-Satellite-Extenders-Eliminate/dp/B07T4CJBDG/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=NETGEAR+Orbi&qid=1599242003&s=computers&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExMllWODZEUzFHOVMwJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMDk3MTI0M05KWE8xSFBKMEhHWSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTQ3MDMzM0VJQ09QOTIySjdNRSZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Is there much setup?

I'm in a 3 bed semi with router in converted attic and main entertainment setup 2 floors down. Would I need the 2nd satelite? Can I use a switch to add more hard line ethernets to the satelite downstairs? Will it degrade the signal?

Yes, that's the setup I have and a similar house. I've used all three satellites, one on each floor, and have complete coverage. I've also used the coax run through the house by the builders to wire the Satellite in the attic using MOCA adapters.

I have a 16 port switch connected to the main router on the ground floor and it connects to multiple devices. You can do this for each satellite as each one has 4 gig ethernet ports on the back so plugging in switches or other device types shouldn't be an issue.

Yes, that's the setup I have and a similar house. I've used all three satellites, one on each floor, and have complete coverage. I've also used the coax run through the house by the builders to wire the Satellite in the attic using MOCA adapters.

I have a 16 port switch connected to the main router on the ground floor and it connects to multiple devices. You can do this for each satellite as each one has 4 gig ethernet ports on the back so plugging in switches or other device types shouldn't be an issue.

Many thanks.

Edit.. this nonsense battle between the pro's and con's of a 1 gig line on this thread needs to be put to bed. I'm very happy with my faster line and happy to pay a small increase in cost for it. As a consumer if you don't agree and want to stay with a lower package... you're choice and I respect that. But enough of the pointless bickering.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

My results over the past day.

3a3d65cf1004448d3aadfcb9505a377ac90b9d75-04-09-2020.png

Defo something really bad going on there. I've been busy at work so haven't had a real chance to get to grips with it.

Using Opnsense router so enabled some monitoring to see what's going on.

alec76 wrote: »
    Those seems to be very pricey at the moment, I’ve only paid £285 for RBK53 last year ( Amazon.co.uk)

Very true, I took a look and I paid £409.98 two years ago. I've seen them come up on sale often enough so maybe worth bidding your time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Very true, I took a look and I paid £409.98 two years ago. I've seen them come up on sale often enough so maybe worth bidding your time!
    https://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B07T4CJBDG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tempora

Thor wrote: »
    Defo something really bad going on there. I've been busy at work so haven't had a real chance to get to grips with it.

At this point I think the finger has to be pointed at Arris. Yet another piece of crap Puma based modem. I'm pointing the other finger at VM because although I'm sure they probably didn't have a viable way to get out of the Hub3 with the Puma due to sunk costs, to decide to go with ANOTHER Puma based modem for the Hub4 is completely stupid. I don't understand the decision making at all, I really doubt it would've been that difficult to source a Broadcom based modem.

Can I ask a silly question... if I get a Netgear orbi and connect to new virgin 1 gig modem does the orbi Wi-Fi signal sit alongside the virgin Wi-Fi or override the virgin signal in the house? Do both signals appear in device Wi-Fi searches?

Is this the one recommended here
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B079W15TM9/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Sorry to repost but can I use a switch to extend 5 Ethernet lines to satellite unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Can I ask a silly question... if I get a Netgear orbi and connect to new virgin 1 gig modem does the orbi Wi-Fi signal sit alongside the virgin Wi-Fi or override the virgin signal in the house? Do both signals appear in device Wi-Fi searches?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B079W15TM9/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

Sorry to repost but can I use a switch to extend 5 Ethernet lines to satellite unit?
    1 You have to disable virgin WiFi , otherwise you would have major interference and weak performance for Orbi.
    2 Nope , this would be wrong Orbi , RBK23 . Definitely not a go for gigabit service.
    3 Yes you could use a switch with satellite unit .

The one recommended is the RBK53S. That will get you pretty decent speeds around the house - as borne out by the experience of the folks who have it.

You could also use the wifi signal off the VM Modem, and use the router and two satellites as AP's. I didn't know it was possible until this morning. A YT video exists on how to set up as such.

Got a tenner off for 6 months... existing customer

They wouldn't entertain any discount with me, even though I have been with them for years.

Reason: New product. Of course, that will change around end of contract time.

The one recommended is the RBK53S..
    RBK50 (1 router , 1 satellite)
    RBK53 ( 1 router , 2 satellites )
    RBK53S ( S stands for security, includes 1 yer subscription for Netgear Armor )

You could also use the wifi signal off the VM Modem, and use the router and two satellites as AP's. I didn't know it was possible until this morning. A YT video exists on how to set up as such.
    You could , but it is very bad advice.

alec76 wrote: »
    You could , but it is very bad advice.

It's just an alternative. Of course, the best thing to get as close to the best wifi speeds throughout the house, is get the 1000+ euro mesh system :D

• Advertisement

It's just an alternative. Of course, the best thing to get as close to the best wifi speeds throughout the house, is get the 1000+ euro mesh system :D
    That the thing , if you keep using VM WIFi along with ORBI wi-Fi it will reduce ORBI’s wi fi speeds dramatically.

Advertisement