Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Like others I've had constant problems since lockdown. I was running in bridge mode for years but was having too many issues so often have to go back to normal mode. Most recently my own router and a couple of powerline adapters all stopped working. So back on the hub in normal mode again.

I often use my phone for work calls so if I lose the WiFi it drops back to mobile data.

But often I need a big screen so anything that involves screen sharing I'm on the big monitor and ethernet. I used vpns a fair bit, and do have connection problems. Mostly it works.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,072 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've just gotten the new modem for this, and it's a bit wonky to get going.

I set it up, logged in for the first time, and I'm sure I saw it call it self Hub V4.

I go through the initial setup stages, choose language and new admin password. It's not getting provisioned, so I restart it.

It then stops accepting either the default or new password.

Factory reset time, and I go through the same step, and thinking it was just unlucky I restart it again.

And again, the password breaks.

Again it gets a factory reset, and I let it sit for a bit, since VM do advise it can take up to 30 minutes to register properly.

It finally starts a software update, and now the title screen calls it Hub V2.

It's online and working at about 930mbps/50mbps, but I'm worried that restarting it will trash the config once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Restarting should be fine now for your setup. Factory reseting "sometimes" resets it as a UPC Modem. If that happens unplug all cables and reset again and it should come up as Virgin Media.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

To be honest, mine worked perfect out fo the box with near max speeds.

Anyone any ideas why my wifi beside the router is 350+ down but my wired ethernet line is down to 50 from a steady 950 for a fortnight?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

sticker wrote: »

Anyone any ideas why my wifi beside the router is 350+ down but my wired ethernet line is down to 50 from a steady 950 for a fortnight?!

Check you cables and reboot any switches that may be EnRoute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

Sounds like a speed and duplex mismatch somewhere between you and the modem

La Haine wrote: »
    WiFi. Just cut out on me there again.
    And they never rang me back either.
    Turn off the automatic enhancement feature on WiFi (can't remember exact terminology they use on the modem).

Then manually set your channels, and don't use a channel above 48 on 5GHz. These are DFS channels, they aren't widely supported by client devices (or aren't widely supported well) and by design will immediately cease transmitting on that channel if it detects any interference.

The automatic enhancement will change channels on the fly and likes to use DFS channels because usually channels 36 - 48 can be busy in a built-up environment. Both scenarios will result in random drop-outs.

KildareP wrote: »

Virgin recommended a factory reset and after trying a different cable - still only at 50 meg down on wired line to PC.

BUT - MY wifi is now down to 50 meg down - previosuly 350 meg down...?????

Can you clarify what you mean please by:

Edit: I have a CAT6 cable running for the main line in attic down front drain and into sitting room with 1 gig wifi router for downstairs use. Jaesus - I just restarted my phone and downstairs the speed is 400 down and upstairs (after phone restart its 400 also)

But wired LAN is still at 50 meg down

This is my router downstairs:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L5YRYF4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could this be casuing the mismatch?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,965 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Have you an idea on what one would do the trick? As it was, the Virgin one supplied signal adequately throughout the house (when it works), so mightn’t need a hugely expensive one?

Thanks

If you've been getting adequate coverage with just the VM router then that could help reduce the cost. First thing would be to set a budget as that will dictate what you go for. There are lots of folks here that could make recommendations and share their experiences.

I use the Netgear Orbi system (RBK53) and have found it excellent. It's a Mesh system with a main router and 2 satellites, with 1 satellite on each floor of my house. For you this may be overkill but they have come down in price now a Wifi6 version has come to market.

Best to do your homework and read some reviews too.
    https://uk.pcmag.com/routers/8151/the-best-wireless-routers

https://uk.pcmag.com/wireless-networking/87178/the-best-wi-fi-mesh-network-systems

Spear wrote: »
    I've just gotten the new modem for this, and it's a bit wonky to get going.

I set it up, logged in for the first time, and I'm sure I saw it call it self Hub V4.

I go through the initial setup stages, choose language and new admin password. It's not getting provisioned, so I restart it.

It then stops accepting either the default or new password.

Factory reset time, and I go through the same step, and thinking it was just unlucky I restart it again.

And again, the password breaks.

Again it gets a factory reset, and I let it sit for a bit, since VM do advise it can take up to 30 minutes to register properly.

It finally starts a software update, and now the title screen calls it Hub V2.

It's online and working at about 930mbps/50mbps, but I'm worried that restarting it will trash the config once again.

This was pretty much my experience but I didn't do any factory resets, I just left it do it's thing after I also experienced the password issue you mentioned. I've since put this down to some updates happening in the background making it inaccessible but leaving the login up. Once it had finished I could log back in and set it to modem mode and it's been solid ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭La Haine

There's an engineer calling out now on Saturday morning, but I've a feeling it'll be as you say and it'll make feck-all difference.
    If I was to get my own router or mesh - is it really as simple to switch this box to just Modem mode by switching this setting, or do I need Virgin to do it for me?

Virgin recommended a factory reset and after trying a different cable - still only at 50 meg down on wired line to PC.

Can you clarify what you mean please by:

Edit: I have a CAT6 cable running for the main line in attic down front drain and into sitting room with 1 gig wifi router for downstairs use. Jaesus - I just restarted my phone and downstairs the speed is 400 down and upstairs (after phone restart its 400 also)

But wired LAN is still at 50 meg down

This is my router downstairs:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07L5YRYF4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Could this be casuing the mismatch?
    OK could be a few things at play...

First:
    If WiFi capped itself to 50Mbps yesterday, was the device you tested on connected to the downstairs AP the whole time?

And possibly now, when you test, it's connected to the upstairs WiFi off the modem and the signal is sufficiently strong it can still remain connected to the Virgin modem even when you are downstairs?

This would point towards the cable between upstairs and downstairs (is it rated for outdoor use? It will be quickly eaten by UV from the sun if not and will allow water in which will corrode the innards)

Second:
    Have a look at the speed your computer reports the network being connected at. On Windows 10:
    Start > Settings cog > Network and internet > Status > Change adapter options > Ethernet (right click) > Status
    Check "Speed"
    If it's not 1Gbps, then there's an issue between the PC and the nearest router/switch. If it is, we need to check duplex.

Third:
    Has the wired PC also got a wireless card? Is it connected to WiFi? Windows will prioritise the WiFi connection over Ethernet when both are connected so will send everything out the slower WiFi. If your WiFi is only 2.4GHz and in mode "G" you'll top out about 50Mbps or so. This could be your culprit.

There's an engineer calling out now on Saturday morning, but I've a feeling it'll be as you say and it'll make feck-all difference.
    If I was to get my own router or mesh - is it really as simple to switch this box to just Modem mode by switching this setting, or do I need Virgin to do it for me?

You may need to move from DS-Lite to IPv4 but this is something supported by VM. In fact you may be able to make use of that engineer by asking him to contact support on your behalf and have them do this. (Otherwise, you would need to phone to have this done)

Once you've been moved...
    1. Change the Router to modem mode (As per your picture) and the hub reboots.
    2. Plug an Ethernet cable from port 1 on VM Hub to the WAN port on your new Router. (It's normally yellow and labeled)
    3. Configure your new router using the Wizard/App/Guide provided.
    4. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭alec76

Band steering ( 2.4 Ghz Vs 5 Ghz ), perhaps?
    As for your wired issues, there are too many variables.
    1 poor crimping job
    2 poor cable ( CAT6 doesn't mean it is good cable, I prefer quality 5e cable over cheap Cat6 )
    3 Software issue with your PC, hardware issue with Network card
    3 VM modem issue
    4 TP Link router issue
    and probably not the end of the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

LoGiE wrote: »

Thanks for posting this. I realise this is going a bit off topic, but there's been some great info in this thread about various mesh systems. I am a virgin 500 customer considering 1Gb to keep it on topic :D

I live in a 3 story house with the VM connection in the living room and my office on the top floor at the back of the house. Currently have a pair of Asus RT-AC67U's in a mesh, one in the living room with the VM hub in modem mode and the other on the top floor in my office. These are only dual band so either use the 5Ghz band for devices and backhaul, or I use a powerline adaptor for backhaul. That is only AV2 600Mbs, so I get about 70Mbs down and 50Mbs up from a wired laptop upstairs. When using wifi backhaul I get about -57dBm signal strength (which it says is great) and around 350Mbs download from the wired laptop which is grand but the latency isn't consistent. Zoom calls can be a disaster with wifi backhaul, which I dont know if its caused by the shared 5Ghz band or general interference. For comparison, in the living room on a wifi iphone I get a fairly consistent 450-490Mbs download speedtest when stood close to the router. The iphone gets max around 200Mbs down over wifi upstairs when using wifi backhaul which isn't surprising.

Would folk think a tri band mesh with a dedicated band for backhaul would be better or just as likely to get interference? Maybe a 3 node setup, one on each floor, would help. I could look at G.hn powerline kit, but dont think it's worth the investment, esp if I do up the VM connection to 1Gb. Else it's find someone willing to install a long cat6, which could be a messy job...

OK could be a few things at play...

First:
    If WiFi capped itself to 50Mbps yesterday, was the device you tested on connected to the downstairs AP the whole time?

And possibly now, when you test, it's connected to the upstairs WiFi off the modem and the signal is sufficiently strong it can still remain connected to the Virgin modem even when you are downstairs?

This would point towards the cable between upstairs and downstairs (is it rated for outdoor use? It will be quickly eaten by UV from the sun if not and will allow water in which will corrode the innards)

Second:
    Have a look at the speed your computer reports the network being connected at. On Windows 10:
    Start > Settings cog > Network and internet > Status > Change adapter options > Ethernet (right click) > Status
    Check "Speed"
    If it's not 1Gbps, then there's an issue between the PC and the nearest router/switch. If it is, we need to check duplex.

Third:
    Has the wired PC also got a wireless card? Is it connected to WiFi? Windows will prioritise the WiFi connection over Ethernet when both are connected so will send everything out the slower WiFi. If your WiFi is only 2.4GHz and in mode "G" you'll top out about 50Mbps or so. This could be your culprit.

Thanks! - See below. Spped in attic where Virgin point is. Should be blistering fast and has been up to 2 days ago.

Yes, cable to downstairs is outdoor cable...

2020-09-24_11-27-59.png

2020-09-24_11-28-20.png

And test - very sluggish to begin also

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

I'm curious, is this a work computer by any chance? Do you have a VPN running?

allanroche wrote: »
    I'm curious, is this a work computer by any chance? Do you have a VPN running?

Yes, Nord VPN and yes I have a web development business working from home.

Yes, Nord VPN and yes I have a web development business working from home.

Have you tried it without the VPN? My work laptop has Zscaler and that messes with my connection a lot.

That said I have an issue with capped speeds too so I want to see if we're having the same problems

Have you tried it without the VPN? My work laptop has Zscaler and that messes with my connection a lot.

That said I have an issue with capped speeds too so I want to see if we're having the same problems

I was running 950+ down for 2 weeks since 1 gig was setup with same setup!

• Advertisement

Excellent, I'm having similar issues with my upload running at 35-35Mb most of the time and downloads varying wildly. I have a case open with VM at the moment and they're insisting it's a line issue and are sending out an engineer next Tuesday.

Excellent, I'm having similar issues with my upload running at 35-35Mb most of the time and downloads varying wildly. I have a case open with VM at the moment and they're insisting it's a line issue and are sending out an engineer next Tuesday.

I have a new 1 gig line ethernet coming tomorrow, gonna use this and if it fails to improve I will be insisting an engineer comes out to...

Thanks

I have a new 1 gig line ethernet coming tomorrow, gonna use this and if it fails to improve I will be insisting an engineer comes out to...

Thanks

It's hardly coincidence that we're both having very similar issues. Maybe you should contact them and state your case for an engineer, they seem to know very little about the new hub. I informed them about the reset button leading to the UPC login screen and it came as a shock to the rep on the call.

You cannot guarantee anything with a VPN running.

Could be Nord struggling to maintain sufficient uplink to you. Both ourselves and the UK have effectively reintroduced almost mandatory working from home over the last week or so which could be placing additional strain on Nord's servers.

They could be deliberately throttling you if you're using excessive resources due to the faster broadband.

If you can't/won't test without VPN then there is nothing Virgin or anyone else can do. In fact, Virgin won't even entertain you once a VPN is involved.

It's hardly coincidence that we're both having very similar issues. Maybe you should contact them and state your case for an engineer, they seem to know very little about the new hub. I informed them about the reset button leading to the UPC login screen and it came as a shock to the rep on the call.

Agreed 100%. Support is dire. Best bet is WhatsApp for quick reply.

I wonder if its location related, I'm in Clonee, Where are you based?

Could be Nord struggling to maintain sufficient uplink to you. Both ourselves and the UK have effectively reintroduced almost mandatory working from home over the last week or so which could be placing additional strain on Nord's servers.

They could be deliberately throttling you if you're using excessive resources due to the faster broadband.

If you can't/won't test without VPN then there is nothing Virgin or anyone else can do. In fact, Virgin won't even entertain you once a VPN is involved.

It turned out that when I bought Nord VPN all was fine but Outlook refused to send/receive - regardless of multiple times trying to fix with Nord support. I now only running Nord on browser but I might uninstall and remove widget from Chrome and see if it makes a difference. All the same, it was fine for 2 weeks with nord in place and then the huge speed dropoff...

Sweet Jumpin Jaesus - I uninstalled Nord VPN and removed Nord from Chrome widgets...

2020-09-24_12-19-31.png

Uh... Thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

I have a VPN and their programme speeds are CRAP 23-110 or so

I messed around with other vpn client software, even the built in one with windows and hit 500 or so (on up to 500)

Other option is exclude stuff you need for fast connection, or even turn if off if you wanted to speed test your real speeds

I just asked Nord for a full refund...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

I just asked Nord for a full refund...

Why?

Did you think youll get full speed with a VPN?

If you realize its a miracle if you do, then go to Wevpn, half the price of Nord a month, stick to monthly so can cut your losses if issues etc

Advertisement