Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭deravarra

alec76 wrote: »
    That the thing , if you keep using VM WIFi along with ORBI wi-Fi it will reduce ORBI’s wi fi speeds dramatically.

Agreed. But give the guy the option and let him decide in the end which is the best option for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Lads hold off on the 1gb. As other posters have said its a serious chunk of change and the 250 mb package will serve your requirements just as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Glad I stumbled onto this thread. I always jump onto the new Virgin speeds pretty much straight away.

Was ringing them up today to see what the story was with my bill(was more expensive than usual) and while waiting saw their 1GB package and was ready to go. While on hold had a quick glance at this thread.

Going to hold off, seems to have issues and be unstable. My Virgin net hasn't had any problems in years so don't want to knowingly introduce problems. The upload speed looks disappointing and to be honest the price they offering me, tenner for 6 months, wasn't great.

Going to ring back next month as my contact will be within 30 days and see what offers I get then, and maybe these launch issues are sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

1 You have to disable virgin WiFi , otherwise you would have major interference and weak performance for Orbi.
    2 Nope , this would be wrong Orbi , RBK23 . Definitely not a go for gigabit service.
    3 Yes you could use a switch with satellite unit .

Cheers

deravarra wrote: »
    They wouldn't entertain any discount with me, even though I have been with them for years.

Reason: New product. Of course, that will change around end of contract time.

I said a WhatsApp customer service bod said I could get a reduction - and Sales team just applied it...

• Advertisement

Point I'm also considering before upgrading is the current area I'm in ,where WiFi has been seriously degraded since COVID lockdown and so many people working from home. I had the 360MB package from them and I have WiFi to my main gaming Pc and was getting circa 350 speeds regularly.

Went to the 500MB package in November last year and while I got a few months out of it being great,

Speedtest right now

10031321970.png

This is what I've been contending with since lockdown. Now while granted everything is working fine, annoying I'm not getting the speed I used to get. Also suffering problems with my WiFi on PC randomly dropping when I start big downloads.

May not be worth upgrading at all for people like me, and I've even toyed with the idea of downgrading until people get back to their offices. Crux I'm having is I recently got a 4K TV and it's blown me away how great it is, so we've been binging 4K stuff from streams but also downloads. The package is amazing where I have it cabled, into my Rpi and Nvidia Shield.

Decision decision decisions

I'm in Clonee and a lot of people working from home here also - Granted only got the modem setup yesterday but I've done a dozen speed tests and all 940 down and 55 up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dam099

2 Nope , this would be wrong Orbi , RBK23 . Definitely not a go for gigabit service.

"Definitely not a go" is way too strong advice for that router (which while not Wifi 6 is quite high end). That one will probably do 500-600 which is plenty for a lot of users even on a 1 gigabit connection.

Sure you may not be maximising your Wifi potential but apart from power users of laptops what wireless device is actually going to pull that level of data in real world use other than on a speed test?

There are other reasons to get 1Gb connections other than for a single Wifi stream, users utilising Ethernet may not need to maximise their Wifi or with dual radios more simultaneous users can get medium level speeds that more than suffice for their needs.

Totally accept you (and Sticker) may want to try and get 1Gb and be willing to pay the considerable premium for Wifi 6 which is fair enough but that router is a viable option for many.

If I opt for the 2 satelite Orbi option and the main hub max speed is in the attic and I plan to try to get max bandwitch downstairs in the sitting room 2 floors down, will the satelite there wired to a switch get a much lower speed over wifi or hold onto the 1gig-ish speed to ethernet connections through the satelite?

The devices I will be hard wiring in the sitting toom will be Sony Android TV, Sky Q box, PS4 and wired Chromecast Ultra...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

dam099 wrote: »
    "Definitely not a go" is way too strong advice for that router (which while not Wifi 6 is quite high end). That one will probably do 500-600 which is plenty for a lot of users even on a 1 gigabit connection.

Yea , surely it will .. I would say 200-300 mbps top, Wireless. Wouldn’t you better off buying Deco M5 instead ? As long as you don’t care for the speed , of course.
    500-600 mbps would be the range for RBK50-53 which is also WiFi 5 btw.
    As for the WiFi 6 it is different game altogether, RbK852-853

sticker wrote: »
    If I opt for the 2 satelite Orbi option and the main hub max speed is in the attic and I plan to try to get max bandwitch downstairs in the sitting room 2 floors down, will the satelite there wired to a switch get a much lower speed over wifi or hold onto the 1gig-ish speed to ethernet connections through the satelite?

The devices I will be hard wiring in the sitting toom will be Sony Android TV, Sky Q box, PS4 and wired Chromecast Ultra...
    I am not sure what are you trying to describe, but if u need maximum bandwidth through satellite, then you have to hardwire it to the Orbi main router(Ethernet from the Main Orbi router to Satellite )
    You also have other option ,bring Main Orbi router downstairs .
    .Bottom line ,you need to create Ethernet link between attic and sitting room if you want to have gigabit connection downstairs.
    If you could create such a link, maybe RBK50 will do for you?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Ultimate-System-Satellite-Extender/dp/B01KVRRSNI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=B7SPJ3YA3CO5&dchild=1&keywords=rbk50&qid=1599317464&sprefix=Rbk%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-3
    You also could get used stock from Amazon Warehouse, might be better value.

ps. If you think about different setup:
    Orbi Router ( attic) >wireless link to Sattelite 1 ( second floor )> wireless link to Satellite 2 ( sitting room) , you’ll never get speeds over 300 mbps downstairs, wireless or hardwired ,regardless.You would need RBK853 for such a task.

I am not sure what are you trying to describe, but if u need maximum bandwidth through satellite, then you have to hardwire it to the Orbi main router(Ethernet from the Main Orbi router to Satellite )
    You also have other option ,bring Main Orbi router downstairs .
    .Bottom line ,you need to create Ethernet link between attic and sitting room if you want to have gigabit connection downstairs.
    If you could create such a link, maybe RBK50 will do for you?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Ultimate-System-Satellite-Extender/dp/B01KVRRSNI/ref=sr_1_3?crid=B7SPJ3YA3CO5&dchild=1&keywords=rbk50&qid=1599317464&sprefix=Rbk%2Caps%2C143&sr=8-3
    You also could get used stock from Amazon Warehouse, might be better value.

Yeah.. the more I hear I'm gonna have to extend the physical line down to the sitting room. Anyone recommend a decent affordable sparks?

Another thoughts, are those devices capable of high speeds?
    TV probably won’t go higher 70-100 mbps ( I had Samsung QLED, 70 mbps would be the max speed , wireless ( 5Ghz ) or wired , I also have top of the range LG OLED, last year model , I think it could go up to 170 mbps)
    Chromecast Ultra , really ?
    I think , the only device could benefit from high speeds is PS4.

Another thoughts, are those devices capable of high speeds?
    TV probably won’t go higher 70-100 mbps ( I had Samsung QLED, 70 mbps would be the max speed , wireless ( 5Ghz ) or wired , I also have top of the range LG OLED, last year model , I think it could go up to 170 mbps)
    Chromecast Ultra , really ?
    I think , the only device could benefit from high speeds is PS4.

You might be right there - There may be a cap of limits on those!

Plenty of options anyway - barring me running the line myself. Absolutely muck at DIY :rolleyes:

I'd be happy to get the job done right a pay a few bob. Anyone know a cheap sparks?! I'm in Clonee...

Plenty of options anyway - barring me running the line myself. Absolutely muck at DIY :rolleyes:

I'd be happy to get the job done right a pay a few bob. Anyone know a cheap sparks?! I'm in Clonee...

I’m months trying to get a spark run some cable. Anyone I’ve got in touch with telling me they’ve too much on. And two of them are family haha.

You might as well drop Orbi idea off and go different route altogether.
    Orbi more or less plug and play, DIY devices, doesn’t require any special knowledge or skills in networking.
    Some industrial grade devices can do it much better and efficient, but you need someone to do it for you ( site survey, mapping dead zones etc, cabling , configuration specific for your property )
    What I am saying, 2 of those or similar

https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-access-points/products/unifi-ac-pro
    will do better job than consumer grade Orbi.
    Surely even if you’ll pay €200-300 for labour , it might be better option.
    ps. Just a thoughts, I am not sure who can do it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭denisor

Hi all, just chiming in with another update and need a heads up from some of you too.

Got the VM Arris 1 Gb Gateway working in modem / bridge mode. Initially getting 600mbps direct over ethernet, did factory reset - got the UPC welcome screen, and no password would let me in, did another reset and got VM welcome screen and password worked. Only then managed to achieve 940mbps down direct over ethernet.

Orbi Wifi 6 is up and running well now and we can get 600-700mbps over wifi on throughout the entire house whilst getting 940mbps over ethernet direct from the VM Gateway.

However, after a few hours the VM Arris speed in modem / bridge mode is dropping down to about 500mbps, and it can then get itself back up to 940mbps later on other occasions...... not sure what to do about that, as VM don't support bridge / modem mode.

Regarding property size (2500sq.ft. semi with VM gateway and Orbi router in attic, with Orbi Satellite in middle running wirelesssly, and the ground floor Orbi Satellite is hardwired back to Orbi Router)

For those who asked, outdoor coverage on the Orbi Wifi6 is noticeably poor. The ground floor hard wired satellite can deliver 700mbps indoors, even up to 15m away through block work walls, but just 2m away from the same satellite through glass to outside garden the speeds drop to about 75mbps! and after 5m outside the signal is completely gone, I assume the Orbi is using the walls to bounce its signal? By comparison, our older Apple Airport Extreme was working 15m away in the garden. That said, it could not reach 10m or more internally...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

You'll run a cable handy enough behind skirting, on skirting and with some conduit.

Try some flat cat 7 cable also for under carpets etc.

Not rocket surgery.

You'll run a cable handy enough behind skirting, on skirting and with some conduit.

Not rocket surgery.
    I'm going down 2 floors... It might not be rocket surgery but not a easy job methinks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭denisor

I'm going down 2 floors... It might not be rocket surgery but not a easy job methinks ;)

Cable tie it behind your rain water gutter and down pipe system???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Im dealing with a strange problem with the new modem actually. This is not the fault of the modem specifically. Seems to be an incompatibility with Asus AC68 PCI-E wireless card and the modem when using 5Ghz, used it in 2 different PCs and same issue. 2.4G works. While all other W-NICs inc phones work with no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,903 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Im dealing with a strange problem with the new modem actually. This is not the fault of the modem specifically. Seems to be an incompatibility with Asus AC68 PCI-E wireless card and the modem when using 5Ghz, used it in 2 different PCs and same issue. 2.4G works. While all other W-NICs inc phones work with no issue.

Maybe the Asus card can't see the channel chosen by the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Maybe the Asus card can't see the channel chosen by the router.

No it sees it,can connect, but no internet.
    The issue displays itself as a DNS issue, but its not a DNS issue, as can manually resolved it via nslookup, but not is pinging by name. Fixed if switched to 2.4G again, its just very strange and doesnt make sense. I have all afternoon now to figure it out properly.

denisor wrote: »
    Hi all, just chiming in with another update and need a heads up from some of you too.

Got the VM Arris 1 Gb Gateway working in modem / bridge mode. Initially getting 600mbps direct over ethernet, did factory reset - got the UPC welcome screen, and no password would let me in, did another reset and got VM welcome screen and password worked. Only then managed to achieve 940mbps down direct over ethernet.

Orbi Wifi 6 is up and running well now and we can get 600-700mbps over wifi on throughout the entire house whilst getting 940mbps over ethernet direct from the VM Gateway.

However, after a few hours the VM Arris speed in modem / bridge mode is dropping down to about 500mbps, and it can then get itself back up to 940mbps later on other occasions...... not sure what to do about that, as VM don't support bridge / modem mode.

Regarding property size (2500sq.ft. semi with VM gateway and Orbi router in attic, with Orbi Satellite in middle running wirelesssly, and the ground floor Orbi Satellite is hardwired back to Orbi Router)

For those who asked, outdoor coverage on the Orbi Wifi6 is noticeably poor. The ground floor hard wired satellite can deliver 700mbps indoors, even up to 15m away through block work walls, but just 2m away from the same satellite through glass to outside garden the speeds drop to about 75mbps! and after 5m outside the signal is completely gone, I assume the Orbi is using the walls to bounce its signal? By comparison, our older Apple Airport Extreme was working 15m away in the garden. That said, it could not reach 10m or more internally...

Thanks for all the info. Great to know the RBK853 is stable and providing decent speeds inside the house.

WRT the garden and lack of decent speeds just a tad outside the house, I have seen an outdoor version of the orbi satellite. While it was linked to another satellite, it was a WiFi 5 one - and it picked up the signal from a loft to the back of the garden, a good 15 metres+ away.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Extender-Satellite-Existing-IP56-certified/dp/B01M7YNQBQ

Just wondering where your nearest satellite/router is in relation to the back wall or window?

I have my M5 satellite on top of the kitchen units towards the back wall of the house and can get 80 Mbps speeds withing 15 feet of that satellite, and down to 30 Mbps within 50 feet of the satellite. It deteriorates further down the garden. Signal along the side of the house not too bad, but at the front side, it is woeful.

Not rocket surgery.

Sounds like poster is like me, not overly confident on the DIY front. Even as someone who has done plenty, theres nothing easy about running cable outside your house to come back in, and making sure the wall panels you'll use are flush and done proper so your not getting whispy drafts coming in from ****e drilling.

I did have an apartment where I ran ethernet through skirting and granted that wasn't too rough, but when you start traversing floors it can get messy.

• Advertisement

No it sees it,can connect, but no internet.
    The issue displays itself as a DNS issue, but its not a DNS issue, as can manually resolved it via nslookup, but not is pinging by name. Fixed if switched to 2.4G again, its just very strange and doesnt make sense. I have all afternoon now to figure it out properly.

Have you tried on another device? Or used another card/dongle?

I had something similar a while back and it was the card that was at fault. All other devices had no issue connecting.

Advertisement