Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

deravarra wrote: »
    Have you tried on another device? Or used another card/dongle?

I had something similar a while back and it was the card that was at fault. All other devices had no issue connecting.

Yep, the think is, the card works perfectly fine on the Hub3 and other 5Ghz APs.
    So does look right now as some incompatibility, but Ill have a proper test later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

denisor wrote: »
    Cable tie it behind your rain water gutter and down pipe system???

Cheers - good idea!

Im told now that cat6 cable is better than the regular amazon cable...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NDCXP63/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A2H9MSIILW7I5R&th=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭deravarra

sticker wrote: »
    Im told now that cat6 cable is better than the regular amazon cable...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NDCXP63/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=A2H9MSIILW7I5R&th=1

definitely. more bandwidth

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

TheDoc wrote: »
    This is what I've been contending with since lockdown. Now while granted everything is working fine, annoying I'm not getting the speed I used to get. Also suffering problems with my WiFi on PC randomly dropping when I start big downloads.

Is that speed test cabled or wifi? It could just be interference from your neighbours bringing down the wifi speeds. Would match up with the "drops" too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

sticker , It is difference in the bandwidth,10 Gb Vs 1 Gb .
    But there is much more about the cables than Cat6 Vs Cat5

If you could use copper Cat6 external cable , do.
    Stay away from cheap Cat6 cables, CCA. ( not copper , aluminium core instead, not suitable for PoE etc,)
    some cheap cables hard to pull through the tight spots , they intend to break internally etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭denisor

Thanks for all the info. Great to know the RBK853 is stable and providing decent speeds inside the house.

WRT the garden and lack of decent speeds just a tad outside the house, I have seen an outdoor version of the orbi satellite. While it was linked to another satellite, it was a WiFi 5 one - and it picked up the signal from a loft to the back of the garden, a good 15 metres+ away.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Extender-Satellite-Existing-IP56-certified/dp/B01M7YNQBQ

Just wondering where your nearest satellite/router is in relation to the back wall or window?

I have my M5 satellite on top of the kitchen units towards the back wall of the house and can get 80 Mbps speeds withing 15 feet of that satellite, and down to 30 Mbps within 50 feet of the satellite. It deteriorates further down the garden. Signal along the side of the house not too bad, but at the front side, it is woeful.

The hardwired Orbi WIFI 6 satellite on the ground floor is 1m away from a double glazed aluminium framed bifold door to the garden. The door is the full width of the property so there is almost no insulated masonry barrier. There is almost no signal 5m into the garden (6m from satellite) and thats with line of sight to the satellite. Thats a massive disappointment. Iv'e been looking at the outdoor WIFI 5 external unit you linked to and it gets positive reviews, but is unavailable on Amazon. If I can pick one up somewhere I will, the alternative is to consider another WIFI 6 satellite and put it in an outbuilding, but based on the ability of the existing WIFI6 to not reach outdoors, that option is a bit risky.

The hardwired Orbi WIFI 6 satellite on the ground floor is 1m away from a double glazed aluminium framed bifold door to the garden. The door is the full width of the property so there is almost no insulated masonry barrier. There is almost no signal 5m into the garden (6m from satellite) and thats with line of sight to the satellite. Thats a massive disappointment. Iv'e been looking at the outdoor WIFI 5 external unit you linked to and it gets positive reviews, but is unavailable on Amazon. If I can pick one up somewhere I will, the alternative is to consider another WIFI 6 satellite and put it in an outbuilding, but based on the ability of the existing WIFI6 to not reach outdoors, that option is a bit risky.

Agreed.
    One possible solution is to try and run a cable between the nearest satellite to the outdoor satellite. I would keep the outdoor satellite as close to the house as possible - even attach to the external wall. Not sure if that would work, but could be worth a go.

Another query - how well does the router work with non wifi 6 devices?
    The Asus AI Mesh wouldn't even allow a 2 year old laptop connect. As much as I would like to go for the orbi wifi6, it would be a very costly option and a costly failure if I had a similar experience as with the Asus AI Mesh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

lotas wrote: »
    yea, quality and stability is high priority, but having to upload or download a 20GB VM, having 100Mb/s up and 1Gb/s down, vs having 100Mb/s down 10Mb/s means its going to take at least 10 times longer to download or upload something... And yes, in my line of business moving 20Gb vms around the place is somewhat normal... I agree, its not for everyone, but you also dont have to sign up for it either...

Problem with Virgin Media is they have a history of offering high speed at the edge of the network (between you and them) but having saturated connectivity to the rest of the internet meaning you don’t get anywhere near those speeds for many real world use case (except for Speedtest.net and the links which they will make sure works perfectly).

It became very visible a few years ago when VM customers who supposedly has 100s of MBs of data speed couldn’t stream HD content on the likes if Netflix and YouTube, or would need ours to download updates for their phones. They have now gotten a little better at hiding it, but it still exists and your 100Mbps upload speed is likely not to apply for connectivity with your employer’s corporate network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bawnBeag

I'm on VM 1gb at the moment, having a nightmare with them. Experiencing packet loss, speed tests varying massively. A technician was due to call out on Friday but my appointment was cancelled for some unknown reason. They prioritized a reschedule but the earliest is September 10th. I am considering cancelling at this stage but wanted to know if anyone has any experience of Vodafone 1gb + TV and how it compares or is there a better provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

The hardwired Orbi WIFI 6 satellite on the ground floor is 1m away from a double glazed aluminium framed bifold door to the garden. The door is the full width of the property so there is almost no insulated masonry barrier. There is almost no signal 5m into the garden (6m from satellite) and thats with line of sight to the satellite.

Have you ever heard about Faraday Cage?
    Try to move satellite few metres away from that aluminium frame first.

Another query - how well does the router work with non wifi 6 devices?
    The Asus AI Mesh wouldn't even allow a 2 year old laptop connect. As much as I would like to go for the orbi wifi6, it would be a very costly option and a costly failure if I had a similar experience as with the Asus AI Mesh

Oldest devices are 2015 iPad Mini 4's and they are getting 200mbps throughout, no more and no less anywhere.

Recent iPad Pro getting 600mbps throughout, and Wifi 6 iPhone 11 is getting 750-850mbps throughout.

Oldest devices are 2015 iPad Mini 4's and they are getting 200mbps throughout, no more and no less anywhere.

Recent iPad Pro getting 600mbps throughout, and Wifi 6 iPhone 11 is getting 750-850mbps throughout.

I think we definitely have different eircodes :P

alec76 wrote: »

That's not how a faraday cage works and 5ghz isn't a great penetrator of materials regardless.

Single Pane Low-E glass is a 5ghz signal killer.
    Double/triple glazing is a signal killer for obvious reasons.
    Inert gas between the glazing is a signal killer.

In a lot of cases, modern windows are as bad if not worse then a solid wall.

Im dealing with a strange problem with the new modem actually. This is not the fault of the modem specifically. Seems to be an incompatibility with Asus AC68 PCI-E wireless card and the modem when using 5Ghz, used it in 2 different PCs and same issue. 2.4G works. While all other W-NICs inc phones work with no issue.

Its not a intel chip so try go into the router and set the 5ghz channel width to 40hz or less, test, if it works see if there is a auto setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭satguy

I used to have VM, the old 360 ,, It was Ireland's fastest back then.

But when on Youtube or Netflix,, or if my son was downloading a big game from Steam, It always seemed to choke. It seems that you can have a blazing fast network,, but if there not enough connections out to the wider world internet, you will be let down,, big time.

satguy wrote: »
    I used to have VM, the old 360 ,, It was Ireland's fastest back then.

But when on Youtube or Netflix,, or if my son was downloading a big game from Steam, It always seemed to choke. It seems that you can have a blazing fast network,, but if there not enough connections out to the wider world internet, you will be let down,, big time.

who did you move to?

alec76 wrote: »

Everyday is a school day! Thanks for the info.

Just tested with Orbi 1m beside bifold door:
    Bifold door closed, 6m away from Orbi Wifi6 Sat 75mpbs,
    Bifold door closed, 15m away from Orbi Wifi6 Sat no signal,

Bifold door open, 6m away from Orbi Wifi6 Sat 395mpbs,
    Bifold door open, 15m away from Orbi Wifi6 Sat 293mpbs,

So proof the bifold door / glass is blocking signal.

Tested with Orbi relocated to be inside 6m away from bifold door:
    Bifold door closed, 11m away from Orbi Wifi6 Sat no signal, (standing in all same locations as above)

So the aluminium frame or glass are definitely killing the wifi signals.

But why the old Apple Airport work through it? it and Orbi run on on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz?

I guess I'll need to run an ethernet to the garden and put an Orbi satellite on / in the shed.

Everyday is a school day! Thanks for the info.

Just tested with Orbi 1m beside bifold door:
    Bifold door closed, 6m away from Orbi Wifi6 Sat 75mpbs,
    Bifold door closed, 15m away from Orbi Wifi6 Sat no signal,

Bifold door open, 6m away from Orbi Wifi6 Sat 395mpbs,
    Bifold door open, 15m away from Orbi Wifi6 Sat 293mpbs,

So proof the bifold door / glass is blocking signal.

Tested with Orbi relocated to be inside 6m away from bifold door:
    Bifold door closed, 11m away from Orbi Wifi6 Sat no signal, (standing in all same locations as above)

So the aluminium frame or glass are definitely killing the wifi signals.

But why the old Apple Airport work through it? it and Orbi run on on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz?

I guess I'll need to run an ethernet to the garden and put an Orbi satellite on / in the shed.

That is some difference between door open and door closed :eek:

• Advertisement

That is some difference between door open and door closed :eek:

It sure is, especially coming into autumn!

Hey all,

I am looking at getting the 1gig line brought down to the front sitting room via a CAT6 cable.

I may just opt for another wifi downstairs and a switch to have 2 wifi's in the house. I know its not ideal but tis waht we're used to and having the 1gig hard line downstairs will reap big benefits...

I dont think I need to run the expense of an Orbi now and I'm sure the line insatllation will probably pull my pants down on price so if I can save a few bob and get a modem and new switch, that may sort me out.

Any recommendations for a decent but affordable wifi hub & switch I can use for downstairs?

What about these - Just need wifi to cover downstairs...

Router:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-C50-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B075PDLQ2Y/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3PRPWKBN5HKO8&dchild=1&keywords=wifi+router&qid=1599495236&sprefix=wifi+ro%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-3

Switch:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B07PWHGQSS/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=ethernet+switch&qid=1599495333&sr=8-7

Also - If the virgin line comes in from a box at the front door, would it no bee easier to split it there and bring it a lot shorer a distance to the front window and into the sitting room from there and not all the wat from the attic?!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Hey all,

I am looking at getting the 1gig line brought down to the front sitting room via a CAT6 cable.

I may just opt for another wifi downstairs and a switch to have 2 wifi's in the house. I know its not ideal but tis waht we're used to and having the 1gig hard line downstairs will reap big benefits...

I dont think I need to run the expense of an Orbi now and I'm sure the line insatllation will probably pull my pants down on price so if I can save a few bob and get a modem and new switch, that may sort me out.

Any recommendations for a decent but affordable wifi hub & switch I can use for downstairs?

What about these - Just need wifi to cover downstairs...

Router:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-C50-Wireless-Supports-Parental/dp/B075PDLQ2Y/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3PRPWKBN5HKO8&dchild=1&keywords=wifi+router&qid=1599495236&sprefix=wifi+ro%2Caps%2C130&sr=8-3

Switch:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Internet-Splitter/dp/B07PWHGQSS/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=ethernet+switch&qid=1599495333&sr=8-7

Also - If the virgin line comes in from a box at the front door, would it no bee easier to split it there and bring it a lot shorer a distance to the front window and into the sitting room from there and not all the wat from the attic?!

Thanks!

If you have the old horzion box you can use that:
    1. Disable DHCP on it
    2. Ignore the WAN connection

It will double as a wifi hot spot and four port switch.

In my house I ran Cat6 down the outside and used old WiFi routers as new hot spots - the cheapest of which still has the best range (but worst speed).

We are seeing a fairly consistent patterns of dropped packets when gaming (and glitching with VOIP), seems to show up clearly on the thinkbroadband site and only seems to happen when the gaming starts.

75873abeef0e338ac532689954c4cf026c6bfd9b-07-09-2020.png

6pm in the example above up until I rebooted the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭satguy

who did you move to?

I moved to SIRO, (Digiweb), got the Fiber 1 gig installed,, when our son left for college a year later I dropped down to 150 down and 20 up.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106010101&postcount=4524

satguy wrote: »
    I moved to SIRO, (Digiweb), got the Fiber 1 gig installed,, when our son left for college a year later I dropped down to 150 down and 20 up.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=106010101&postcount=4524

I had placed an order with them. Pre install team came along the next day and told me my driveway would have to be dug up and even after doing that, there would be no guarantee that I could get anywhere near 1 gig downloads.

Disappointing, especially since their prices were way lower than VM's

schmoo2k wrote: »
    If you have the old horzion box you can use that:
    1. Disable DHCP on it
    2. Ignore the WAN connection

It will double as a wifi hot spot and four port switch.

In my house I ran Cat6 down the outside and used old WiFi routers as new hot spots - the cheapest of which still has the best range (but worst speed).

Great idea! - Sorry but how do I Disable DHCP on it.

Its this unit...

thumbs_virgin_media_superhub3.jpg

Sorry if this is offtopic - But I previously had an involved setup to watch donwloaded movies/media on my Sony android TV...

I put files on external HD from my PC and connect via usb to back of bluray player, open source in bluray menu - but I got a lot of movie file type errors on playback, when I get the gig hardline in my sitting room, is there a better / more reliable solution to play or cast movies/media to my TV?

Thanks!

Great idea! - Sorry but how do I Disable DHCP on it.

Its this unit...

thumbs_virgin_media_superhub3.jpg

It will be along the lines of:
    525651.jpg

Note 1: That screenshot is from the newer unit, but the older one is similar (from memory).
    Note 2: You can do the same with the old Horizon TV box as well (which is what I was originally suggesting)
    Note 3: Its simpler if you never use the WAN input when you're doing this (on your box its the coax cable so not applicable). If you do use the Wan, then you would enable DHCP and its basically another firewall inside your house (which can be good for advanced applications).

• Advertisement

Sorry if this is offtopic - But I previously had an involved setup to watch donwloaded movies/media on my Sony android TV...

I put files on external HD from my PC and connect via usb to back of bluray player, open source in bluray menu - but I got a lot of movie file type errors on playback, when I get the gig hardline in my sitting room, is there a better / more reliable solution to play or cast movies/media to my TV?

Thanks!

Very quick answer is yes - but would need to know more about what equipment you have.

If your TV is "Smart" and if it supports local networks and/or apps like Plex then you can configure your PC so that the movie files can be "served" directly to your TV (either by a shared drive, or by running a server like Plex Server).

If not then you will need a "box" that can (anyone known if the new TV 360 box do this?).

I retired my old "box" as my TV supports apps, so am not up to date to recommend one (but you will get cheap ones for less than 50 Euros I suspect)

Advertisement