Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin 1Gb now available.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

lotas wrote: »
    That is the one i have here in the house from the business class service... Never had any issues with it...

To be honest, I've the Superhub v3 myself and I've not noticed any real world difference since moving from the Cisco to this.

Having said that, I'm not a twitch gamer and I keep it in bridge mode, so perhaps I'm not the best example.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭allanroche

So its the Arris TG3492LG which is Puma 7 by all accounts.
    I havent hooked it up just yet, so Ill post an update once I get it all sorted and online.
    [

Be interesting to see if Bridge mode is available or will it require a chat to Virgin to enable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

bk wrote: »
    To be honest, I've the Superhub v3 myself and I've not noticed any real world difference since moving from the Cisco to this.

Having said that, I'm not a twitch gamer and I keep it in bridge mode, so perhaps I'm not the best example.

You just haven't had any issues. I have, and I'm not a "twitch gamer" and mostly keep it in bridge mode also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

allanroche wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if Bridge mode is available or will it require a chat to Virgin to enable.
    Modem/Bridge Mode available straight away. I had this active on my connection with the previous Hub.
    GUI, is the same I see very little if any difference. Cant change away from the default 192.168/16 subnet, cant change DNS. It is all very much the same.

I need to do some work and wont get a chance to test till later, however quick speedtest and browsing feels smoother, no little pauses or hangups, but could be a placebo affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭flexcon

Quick points from me (Ex Cisco network engineer for Irish Telecoms company)

- Virgin and their Dual Stack IPV6 should be abolished. If you are a virgin customer get them to turn this off right now
    - Disable IPV6 off your router all together. These two tasks improved my average ping to the UK by half

Digiweb Digiweb digiweb.....
    -Fritz Box ( One of the best consumer routers out there for plug and play)
    - Irish Support centre
    - Seriously low Ping times. Their routing is A1
    - Seriously Fast DNS service(Although I appreciate many will use their own)
    - IPTV users will not be blocked here. Not covered by any court orders.

As a hobby I still help and install networking equipment in friends, family word of mouth situations and in every scenario I get them onto Digiweb and I NEVER hear back with any issues.

I am just a stranger on an Internet forum but I can properly vouch that Digiwebs infrastructure beyond the openeir network is A1

I spent some considerable time doing trace routes and ping times and for Ireland and UK it was considerably lower than others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

FYI... I got my 1gig modem and set it up.
    They are having issues provisioning them, so had to log a ticket and plug back in the old modem until it's resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Tempora

Alright guess I just have to hope the guy on the phone was mistaken and I am getting the Arris. Gonna be pretty annoyed if I get some crappy Hitron Puma 6 modem.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

flexcon wrote: »
    Quick points from me (Ex Cisco network engineer for Irish Telecoms company)

I spent some considerable time doing trace routes and ping times and for Ireland and UK it was considerably lower than others.

Ping times with Digiweb are probably lower than Virgin but I thought their pings are higher than Eir, Airwire and Vodafone?

average Irish ping on Eir is 2ms-4ms and 9-14ms to UK servers.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a Fritzbox to replace my Eir F2000 modem as that particular modem is a disaster for wifi.

Tempora wrote: »
    Alright guess I just have to hope the guy on the phone was mistaken and I am getting the Arris. Gonna be pretty annoyed if I get some crappy Hitron Puma 6 modem.

Defo the Arris. Just got mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Gonzo wrote: »
    Ping times with Digiweb are probably lower than Virgin but I thought their pings are higher than Eir, Airwire and Vodafone?

average Irish ping on Eir is 2ms-4ms and 9-14ms to UK servers.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a Fritzbox to replace my Eir F2000 modem as that particular modem is a disaster for wifi.

Digiweb rural FTTH ping times to Irish servers from the West (Mayo) are typically 10-12ms. I've seen similar ping times from others posting from Sligo and Galway.
    Ping times to the UK around 20ms.
    So about 6-8ms extra on ping times in general due to their network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

50mbit upload makes it useless. I use my 100 up several times a day and it feels slow, I'd take a package with higher upload as soon as its made available

You trying to get it for free or willing to buy? I purchased an additional one from Airwire directly. I'm not a customer of theirs.

Received new modem, it's Arris like the one posted above in the thread.

Currently not working, cycles between "Obtaining configuration file" and "Registration failure". Rang Virgin and tech support told me to leave it plugged in and wait a few hours. Annoying but whatever, I'll deal with it.

Currently not working, cycles between "Obtaining configuration file" and "Registration failure". Rang Virgin and tech support told me to leave it plugged in and wait a few hours. Annoying but whatever, I'll deal with it.

I was told they were having provisioning issues. TOld me to use the old one and they'd give me a text / call when I can plug in the new one. What a farce!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Ordered last Thursday and got a confirmation email about an hour after that. I haven't heard a thing since. Gave up on their Customer Care (1908) after 60+ minutes on hold. I'll now try What's app...

Anyone have any idea's on how to contact them to check the status of my upgrade?

I was told they were having provisioning issues. TOld me to use the old one and they'd give me a text / call when I can plug in the new one. What a farce!
    Well that's annoying if I actually don't need to leave it plugged in and could just use the old modem for now. I guess this is the downside of being an early adopter. I'll just tether my unlimited data from my phone for now anyway.

LoGiE wrote: »
    Ordered last Thursday and got a confirmation email about an hour after that. I haven't heard a thing since. Gave up on their Customer Care (1908) after 60+ minutes on hold. I'll now try What's app...

Anyone have any idea's on how to contact them to check the status of my upgrade?

I ordered at 9am last Thursday... nothing. Called on Monday. Order never processed, same thing to a friend of mine. DM'd them on Twitter yesterday and the modem turned up today. (not working, but it's here).
    Looks like a shambles of a launch tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

50mbit upload makes it useless. I use my 100 up several times a day and it feels slow, I'd take a package with higher upload as soon as its made available
    Currently uploading about 350gb on a 25mb upload speed. 11.25gb per hour.

200mb would be nice!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

MBSnr wrote: »
    You trying to get it for free or willing to buy? I purchased an additional one from Airwire directly. I'm not a customer of theirs.

I'd be buying a new one, can you order it from Airwire online or do you have to ring them up to order?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,916 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Pain in the Arris....

Sorry I couldn't resist it...:D

• Advertisement

I'd be buying a new one, can you order it from Airwire online or do you have to ring them up to order?

I rang them directly. It's possible they no longer do this for non customers. They seem to have the same pricing still listed on their site - 95 Euro for the 7530 (plus I paid 10 Euro delivery fee).

Digiweb let customers buy additional 7530s as well for around the same price but there's more hoops to jump through and airwire was far easier to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

LoGiE wrote: »

I got a call today from the rep that originally put my order through.

Basically it turned out that no deal could be applied to the order directly as it wasn't allowed. She apologized for the mistake, she even credited my account the same value as the offer to still give me the same deal overall.

Within a few hours I had message for delivery tomorrow.

Still no service and no call back (was promised before 5PM). Sigh.

Still no service and no call back (was promised before 5PM). Sigh.

I had to register a formal complaint at this stage.
    I was told earlier it could be up to 2 business days before it will be provisioned. Its a shambles of a launch.

I had to register a formal complaint at this stage.
    I was told earlier it could be up to 2 business days before it will be provisioned. Its a shambles of a launch.

I have no internet now at all via Virgin, I tried to plug my old modem back in and although it does seem to connect up (DOCSIS completes connection), I get assigned an address in the 10.0.0.0/8 range (internal only) and phone reports line down.

I am curious what messages you get in your logs on the new Arris, I'm reporting the following:

DS Power: 0.79 dBmV
    Downstream SNR: 38.9 dB
    Upstream Power: 43.02 dBmV

Which all seem in range for DOCSIS 3.1, even if my SNR is a little on the lower end.

Network Log:

Tue 25/08/2020 17:50:18 3 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
    Tue 25/08/2020 17:50:59 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
    Tue 25/08/2020 17:51:12 3 TFTP failed - configuration file NOT FOUND;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

(I've redacted the mac addresses out of caution, doubt they'd be any use anyway but best to be safe)

I'm not going to plug it back in until I get word it works. No sir-e-bob.
    I have no internet now at all via Virgin, I tried to plug my old modem back in and although it does seem to connect up (DOCSIS completes connection), I get assigned an address in the 10.0.0.0/8 range (internal only) and phone reports line down.

I am curious what messages you get in your logs on the new Arris, I'm reporting the following:

DS Power: 0.79 dBmV
    Downstream SNR: 38.9 dB
    Upstream Power: 43.02 dBmV

Which all seem in range for DOCSIS 3.1, even if my SNR is a little on the lower end.

Network Log:

Tue 25/08/2020 17:50:18 3 Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
    Tue 25/08/2020 17:50:59 3 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;
    Tue 25/08/2020 17:51:12 3 TFTP failed - configuration file NOT FOUND;CM-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CMTS-MAC=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX;CM-QOS=1.1;CM-VER=3.1;

(I've redacted the mac addresses out of caution, doubt they'd be any use anyway but best to be safe)

I'm not going to plug it back in until I get word it works. No sir-e-bob.
    Fair enough haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭deravarra

Just ordered 1Gig wifi earlier today. Wouldnt have done so if I had known the teething issues that folks are having.
    Has anyone actually upgraded and used the service without any issues as of yet?

With that amount of d/l available, the best thing to do would be to use a wifi 6 mesh system. That should eliminate black spots around the mid size to larger homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

I spoke with sales earlier and they confirmed the upload is 100mb and not the 50 on their site.

So might order once people actually why it working :-p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I spoke with sales earlier and they confirmed the upload is 100mb and not the 50 on their site.

So might order once people actually why it working :-p

Glad to hear.

My modem arrives tomorrow, hoping provision issues are resolved.

Advertisement