Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

DOCARCH wrote: »
    ECM and GFS update around 7pm....after that, it's nowcast! Whatever will happen will happen.

The suspense is killing me lol....7 seems very late, we won’t be too far away from the event by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It is always a little nervy watching these small scale systems, sometimes timing can be slightly off and they do not develop as expected.

However, i think we can be sure now after examining satellite data in the last 2 or 3 hours than some parts of Ireland are going to be struck by a violent storm system tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭aisling86

It is always a little nervy watching these small scale systems, sometimes timing can be slightly off and they do not develop as expected.

However, i think we can be sure now after examining satellite data in the last 2 or 3 hours than some parts of Ireland are going to be struck by a violent storm system tonight.

Is it still looking like east of cork city will be the worst affected initially?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

12z running now on gfs. Very severe with red level winds running right up centre of South er counties
    Red alert to be expanded I'd say

The GFS has backtracked run by run to the ECM it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Leinster, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Leitrim, Roscommon and Sligo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

It will become very windy this evening and tonight, with severe gusts likely. Some flooding likely also, especially in coastal areas.

Valid: 21:00 Wednesday 19/08/2020 to 08:00 Thursday 20/08/2020

Issued: 16:27 Wednesday 19/08/2020

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Get a free pass? ME are routinely slaughtered for scaremongering for issuing too many yellow and orange warning yet this eejit is predicting 185km/h winds and a red warning for half the country and people are trying to defend him.

Edit: Even if the red warning does end up getting extended to other counties it doesn't excuse his carry on. He's constantly giving OTT warnings and getting it correct once shouldn't give him a free pass. We're not going to see anything close to 185km/h, let alone the 200km/h he was going on about earlier.

185 kph to 200 kph winds are absolute wipeouts.

Throw a bag of rubbish out of a car at 185 to 200kph and you'll see what I mean.

Imagine that in a gust... constant for hour's.
    Windows would be blown in.
    Historical buildings, thatched roofs in Doolin and other places bwould be blown to the Arran Islands.
    Because if the winds blowing offshore the east side of a lot of buildings couldn't take the shock and push due to not much pressure on the joists that the western side would be used to.

185kph to 200 seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

sA76SpJ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

How accurate is this website? Is it a load of rubbish or somewhat based on actually weather data?

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=351.70,54.98,861

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭swarmberg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

pad199207 wrote: »
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Leinster

So, just a bit of wind for Dublin then?

Any “yellow” warning we’ve gotten so far has resulted in very little. So much so, that no one really takes that one seriously, at all. And rightly so.

They need to “look at” the warnings and amend them so that people can take them seriously again.

We’ve been fooled too many times, at this stage.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

some serious rain forecast aswell that seems to be flying under the radar if you'll pardon the pun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Went from no wind here on the west cork coast to a sudden appearance of wind, like a normal autumunal day now. Seagulls have also appeared which is usually a sign of storms at sea!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭weisses

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Yes, GFS is earlier, what i meant is by 7pm should have both....after that it's storm time!

You just made model watching sound badass .... Well done sir ;)

Any “yellow” warning we’ve gotten so far has resulted in very little. So much so, that no one really takes that one seriously, at all. And rightly so.

They need to “look at” the warnings and amend them so that people can take them seriously again.

well it is a yellow warning. what do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

How accurate is this website? Is it a load of rubbish or somewhat based on actually weather data?

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=351.70,54.98,861

If you click on the menu, bottom left, it tells you it is based on the GFS. So not a lot of rubbish but then again its just one of the possible models

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

40-60 knots (avg. ~92 kph) is a prediction that is more realistic, but that is at the worst of it. +100 knots would be about +185 kph

https://www.windy.com/?51.696,-6.531,7

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

swarmberg wrote: »
    He's on Todayfm now :rolleyes:

Mister 150-160km/hr gusts inland himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,376 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Noticed similar in maynooth earlier

It put chills up and down my spine.

An ominous high Pitched mournful/lonesome keening for the summer that never came maybe

It didn’t help I was near a graveyard at the time

An awful racket from our feathered friends

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

[can we stop talking about weather forecast personalities on this thread PLEASE!!!!! Absolute drivel.]

Really calm in Galway West here. Calm but very wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Oglaigh84

Or you could just read what the various levels mean instead of having them being changed because you assume yellow means hurricane type weather

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Both the wind direction and leaves on trees should mean Dubliners will see something of an aftermath. Trees can get messy fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

nthclare wrote: »
    185 kph to 200 kph winds are absolute wipeouts.

Throw a bag of rubbish out of a car at 185 to 200kph and you'll see what I mean.

Imagine that in a gust... constant for hour's.
    Windows would be blown in.
    Historical buildings, thatched roofs in Doolin and other places bwould be blown to the Arran Islands.
    Because if the winds blowing offshore the east side of a lot of buildings couldn't take the shock and push due to not much pressure on the joists that the western side would be used to.

185kph to 200 seriously

the rubbish thrown up during the celtic tiger is what I would worry about

we will see tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,576 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

froog wrote: »

No warning. Until one is “necessary”. The yellow should be the orange. Then split the red into 2 parts.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 20,114 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

swarmberg wrote: »
    He's on Todayfm now :rolleyes:

that sums of the state of Today Fm

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

froog wrote: »

yellow warning have constantly being talked up by DJ's on various radio stations without them obviously looking to see what the definition of the level is:rolleyes:

Looking at ME forecast kerry could be a yellow warning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Very dreary and wet day here in North Cork, so calm at the moment though, not a breath of wind. Currently 18.8 DegC, 991.7hpa

It put chills up and down my spine.

An ominous high Pitched mournful/lonesome keening for the summer that never came maybe

It didn’t help I was near a graveyard at the time

An awful racket from our feathered friends

You could be related to graces7 :D

No warning. Until one is “necessary”. The yellow should be the orange. Then split the red into 2 parts.

so you just want to recolour the three warning levels into something more confusing? righto.

• Advertisement

Met Éireann in another awkward "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situation. Very difficult to forecast such an unpredictable track over Ireland from a rapidly developing system. I'll still accept their expertise before an "award winning" spoofer forecasting gusts up to 200km/h.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement