Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Met Eireann's current average wind predictions for Wicklow tonight are nothing too unusual, around 45 kph. I know it's the gusts that are the risk but it's amazing how at odds their forecast is with other models. If I was just looking at the Met Eireann chart and nothing else I wouldn't look twice at it but that ECMWF is a whole other story!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

The 06Z ECM has not budged a bit and is still going all Irish Weather Channel on us. Maybe a few notches less along the east coast but still a fair whack up the centre of the country. This is one hell of an interesting night ahead to see if it verifies...

Should be a lot more counties orange at least based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

radar is back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Bsal

Looking at the ECM model I really think it's taking the mick with this storm, the GFS looks more believable at the moment to me but we shall see how this pans out tonight I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Are the national emergency planning team working on this does anyone know

I mean the ppl we see on the news in such events - usually met Éireann are in attendance and various ministers, reps from the guarda and the army etc.

• Advertisement

We are meeting at 8.30. Everyone walking by sunset. Its to raise money for a local cause. the sunset part is a quick socially distanced meet up of about 12 walkers to hear about the cause.

Ok fair enough. Still, looks like a rough old night for a charity walk if you ask me.

Bsal wrote: »
    Looking at the ECM model I really think it's taking the mick with this storm, the GFS looks more believable at the moment to me but we shall see how this pans out tonight I guess.

ECM seems to have had a better handle on the pressure at least according to Matt Hugo. Anyway I haven’t a clue so we’ll the experts argue on that and tomorrow will tell all.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Heavy rain here now; vertical. No wind

Back later....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Nah sure the red is only for Cork, it’s up to us to look after ourselves down here :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

What's the story with camping? Myself and the kids are in Kerry for the week camping. Haven't been away all summer. We're planning on staying put. Jump in to the van if things get bad, suitcases are in the tents to weigh them down.

Just to put a bit of balance to these "I am planning on" posts. I am in the south East and was planning on going to bed at 11:00, do you think I will get to sleep before this blows over or should I stay up and let it pass?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Waterford TAF giving gusts up to 55 knots. Lots of people on campsites . Could be a dangerous night.
    BECMG 1918/1921 13025G40KT 9999 SCT012
    BECMG 1921/1923 22034G55KT TEMPO 1921/1924 RA BKN008

Generally Pintmen would have enough ballast to not be concerned. Think of the kids though :)

The official advice to paddy pintman - “Few pints - be grand”

😂

I mean the ppl we see on the news in such events - usually met Éireann are in attendance and various ministers, reps from the guarda and the army etc.

Bumping this. Does anyone know?

Appears to be very serious if they are NOT working on this

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

You can be sure they will roll out Mr Doom and Gloom man George Lee to tell us all whats coming, the last time he warned us that we could be wiped out nothing happened and he did not come back the following day to explain himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very heavy, warm air on the west cork coast atm. Dry still, but not a breeze which is very unusual when your right across from the sea. Not even the neighbours flag is blowing. Seems like thunder type of weather but unsure of that

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Rainfall warnings

Met Éireann will be issuing rainfall warnings soon with possible updated wind warnings also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Waterford TAF giving gusts up to 55 knots. Lots of people on campsites . Could be a dangerous night.
    BECMG 1918/1921 13025G40KT 9999 SCT012
    BECMG 1921/1923 22034G55KT TEMPO 1921/1924 RA BKN008

Seems that it is coming more into line with the UKMO projection.

I haven't gone camping in years, but must say that I would enjoy, rather than fear wind speeds like this if I was out camping tonight. Would be part of the challenge, which I would have thought was a big part of the camping experience.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Rainfall warnings

Met Éireann will be issuing rainfall warnings soon with possible updated wind warnings also.

How do you know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

What's the story with camping? Myself and the kids are in Kerry for the week camping. Haven't been away all summer. We're planning on staying put. Jump in to the van if things get bad, suitcases are in the tents to weigh them down.

You will indeed be losty, very losty after this. You'll get to see parts of kerry you never thought possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Bsal

New TAF out for Cork still going with 40% chance of 75kt gust

TAF AMD EICK 191436Z 1914/2012 05010KT 4000 BR BKN005 TEMPO 1914/1920 1800 SCT002 BKN003 PROB30 TEMPO 1914/1917 0700 FG BKN002 BECMG 1914/1916 20008KT BECMG 1917/1919 14018G30KT BECMG 1920/1922 20035G60KT TEMPO 1920/1924 5000 RA BKN008 PROB40 TEMPO 1921/1923 22040G75KT BECMG 1923/2001 21025G45KT BECMG 2001/2003 20025G40KT TEMPO 2003/2012 4000 SHRA SCT010 SCT020CB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

I haven't gone camping in years, but must say that I would enjoy, rather than fear wind speeds like this if I was out camping tonight. Would be part of the challenge, which I would have thought was a big part of the camping experience.

Easily said from a brick house:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Hawthorn Tree

I think we need a good storm to distract us. The power of nature can be amazing.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    You can be sure they will roll out Mr Doom and Gloom man George Lee to tell us all whats coming, the last time he warned us that we could be wiped out nothing happened and he did not come back the following day to explain himself.

Yep I’m not so concerned with mr doom and gloom Georgie boy but I’m more concerned about wether local county councils are

Aware

And taking active measures in terms of flood defence

And also utilities like ESB and the army if need be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Easily said from a brick house:D

True, but I thought camping was a way to embrace the great outdoors, warts 'n' all.

New Moon

Yep I’m not so concerned with mr doom and gloom Georgie boy but I’m more concerned about wether local county councils are

Aware

And taking active measures in terms of flood defence

And also utilities like ESB and the army if need be

Yep we saw in west cork the problem of blocked drains. Millions of euros of damage this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Oneiric 3 wrote: »

Don't know about that. Wasn't someone blown off a cliff in Galway a while back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

A storm that wouldn't cause destruction would be great for clearing the air.

But unfortunately the one being forecast may be a destructive one, and I don't know why anyone would want that.

Red alert means inadvisable to go outdoors unless necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Don't know about that. Wasn't someone blown off a cliff in Galway a while back.

Correct a US tourist in a caravan near Clifden caravan ripped from its base into the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

leahyl wrote: »
    How do you know this?

I was chatting with somwone in Glasnevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thank you.

As for the furballs; they have various hidey holes. When the gale gets going opening the door may not be possible.. or prudent.

Brighter out here but no sun.

Welcome back Grace7. Good to see you posting again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement