Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

More chance of seeing snow.

Woah woah woah. You cant just waltz in here dropping the S bomb like that. Do you want boards servers to crash again? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

antodeco wrote: »
    Woah woah woah. You cant just waltz in here dropping the S bomb like that. Do you want boards servers to crash again? :D

Thought I could sneak it in with the red warning excitement. You got me.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

listermint wrote: »
    Sunset walk in this weather...... Yeah. Erm..

Sunset as in the time of sunset.... but you know well what I meant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Amazing the amount of people I know who like his Facebook page and follow him. The comments section is 'ah Cathal you're a star', 'thanks so much Cathal you're so much better than Met Eireann'. I can't believe intelligent people I know follow this attention seeker.

He even came up with a new colour code for a night in June when he said thunderstorms would rival July 1985. Purple for extremely extreme weather!! Needless to say nobody saw lightning that particular night.

I've ripped him asunder and called him a rollox today and he tried to defend it by message.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sunset as in the time of sunset.... but you know well what I meant

You want to go for a nice walk in the pissings of rain when there's no daylight and a storm coming up the coast...sure look I suppose it takes all sorts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Is Dublin likely to go Orange? We have a socailly distanced group sunset walk planned in the local park at 9pm. Lots of trees and big branches there. Im thinking of canceling but so many mixed messages.
    In all seriousness, this has the potential to be a very bad one.

We typically get these storms into mid-late Autumn when the trees have lost most of their leaf cover. This storm hitting at the end of Summer means the trees still have their leaves and this creates a "sail" effect, catching a lot more of the wind and making broken branches and downed trees considerably more likely.

Even if it's only a yellow warning for Dublin, there's nothing to lose in staying home tonight, and if you're in the Southwest, I'd definitely avoid travelling if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Probability maps for 1am tonight from the latest European.

Gusts greater than 48 knots:

vXG9T2z.png

And for gusts > 64 knots:

itEtO1I.png

That looks a long way off the forecast for Galway around 1am on met.ie even after the latest reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭dmc17

seamus wrote: »
    In all seriousness, this has the potential to be a very bad one.

We typically get these storms into mid-late Autumn when the trees have lost most of their leaf cover. This storm hitting at the end of Summer means the trees still have their leaves and this creates a "sail" effect, catching a lot more of the wind and making broken branches and downed trees considerably more likely.

Even if it's only a yellow warning for Dublin, there's nothing to lose in staying home tonight, and if you're in the Southwest, I'd definitely avoid travelling if you can.

I'd imagine all the rain of late won't help either, with the ground being soft

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Not sure how accurate it is but Windy.com shows ICON not doing a whole lot, and ECM and GFS have the centre of the storm moving up the Mid to East of the country. Still a lot of uncertainty with this with only a few hours to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

What's the story with camping? Myself and the kids are in Kerry for the week camping. Haven't been away all summer. We're planning on staying put. Jump in to the van if things get bad, suitcases are in the tents to weigh them down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭highdef

Is Dublin likely to go Orange? We have a socailly distanced group sunset walk planned in the local park at 9pm. Lots of trees and big branches there. Im thinking of canceling but so many mixed messages.

Sunset is around 20:42 so you'll be too late for a sunset walk at 21:00 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yeah I was just about to say you will have completely missed sunset at 9 pm

Maybe give it a miss tonight and - check the sunset times before venturing out next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

What's the story with camping? Myself and the kids are in Kerry for the week camping. Haven't been away all summer. We're planning on staying put. Jump in to the van if things get bad, suitcases are in the tents to weigh them down.

Surely thats something you should decide

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

why are people replying to the troll? they do the same in every event thread, usually about some hut in donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Id say find a room for the night if ye can

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

They are advising everyone camping to pack up straight away. All over the country.

It was on the Newstalk news at three. As you have kids with you I would pack up.

You brought suitcases camping?

if it was me i'd be booking into a b&b for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

jackrussel wrote: »
    why are people replying to the troll? they do the same in every event thread, usually about some hut in donegal

Didn't realise. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Generally Pintmen would have enough ballast to not be concerned. Think of the kids though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

Is this storm hitting the West or South and South east? Current warnings have many people thinking this is a SW and W storm, yet if you look at the latest charts it shows the highest gusts hitting Cork, Waterford, Wexford, Kilkenny, Carlow and Wicklow. Why are the latter only yellow? Arome shows Orange winds. Folk need time to tie things down in their gardens and prepare for this storm. I have a gut feeling this one is going to be a bad one and everyone around here is thinking it's going up the West based on the warnings. Off out to dismantle garden furniture and store things away. Hopefully there is some more clarity on the storms track, intensity and warning levels by tea-time. We are on an elevated site near Mt Leinster so not taking chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Will I get a day off tomorrow because of the red warning ?🚨. Oh **** WFH. Dam you CV19. You ruin everything 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 10,202 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Not sure if you've been in violent winds when camping before, but you'll also be looking for your suitcases afterwards.
    You brought suitcases camping?

It's the best way to root out and find clothes easily!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭garyha

LgkkATs.jpg

Latest ECMWF, looks extremely dangrous for the south-east on this run. Don't envy Met Eireann right now having to call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

garyha wrote: »
    LgkkATs.jpg

Latest ECMWF, looks extremely dangrous for the south-east on this run. Don't envy Met Eireann right now having to call it.

Direct hit for Cork still?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭CirrusBusiness

garyha wrote: »
    LgkkATs.jpg

They need to call it soon. Folk need time to batten down the hatches.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Interesting forecast charts that shows pressure changes averaged out over a 3 hour running period for later tonight and into the small hours:

TFKoxxf.gif

Rapid fall in pressure, initially on the south coast, followed by a rapid rise right up through the middle of the country. Shows how quickly this system is forecast to cross over.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Yeah I was just about to say you will have completely missed sunset at 9 pm

Maybe give it a miss tonight and - check the sunset times before venturing out next time!

We are meeting at 8.30. Everyone walking by sunset. Its to raise money for a local cause. the sunset part is a quick socially distanced meet up of about 12 walkers to hear about the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,255 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

They need to call it soon. Folk need time to batten down the hatches.

You should probably do it anyway just to be safe, still gonna be an orange warning for a lot of other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The 06Z ECM has not budged a bit and is still going all Irish Weather Channel on us. Maybe a few notches less along the east coast but still a fair whack up the centre of the country. This is one hell of an interesting night ahead to see if it verifies...

523503.png

523504.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Will I get a day off tomorrow because of the red warning ?��. Oh **** WFH. Dam you CV19. You ruin everything ��

Never know, the electricity might go yet!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement