Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ellen - 19th/20th August 2020

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

No warning. Until one is “necessary”. The yellow should be the orange. Then split the red into 2 parts.

Red and REALLY RED??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Very heavy, warm air on the west cork coast atm. Dry still, but not a breeze which is very unusual when your right across from the sea. Not even the neighbours flag is blowing. Seems like thunder type of weather but unsure of that

That sounds much like here; but we have a very slender breeze if you know where to stand. It is so calm I keep wondering if this is some kind of.... Darker than usual at this time..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Misguided1 wrote: »
    Red and REALLY RED??;)

Haha, almost. The current “yellow” needs to be ditched. All it seems to do is give news outlets something to push.

“Yellow” should become “orange” and with the low end of the “red” changing to “orange” and the high end staying “red”.

At this stage people don’t even pay attention to “orange”, certainly not in Dublin anyway. I get that people living on the west coast can’t ignore them. Even the “red” warning we got here a couple of years ago was a complete “farce”.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,149 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Ok lads enough colours. Focus on Ellen!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Looks like some very heavy rain coming into the coasts now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: Please keep on topic. Daft/silly posts will be removed. Cut out backseat modding.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭watlantic

Can we please have a separate thread dedicated to the ubiquitous colour code discussion. It's been discussed endlessly before and every time there's new warning it starts all over again.
    As Evelyn Cusack from Met Eireann said on the radio earlier: ''Never mind the colour of the warning...''
    Anyway, back to the stormy weather which is imminent according to the latest surface chart from the OPC:

523516.png

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Met Éireann in another awkward "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situation. Very difficult to forecast such an unpredictable track over Ireland from a rapidly developing system. I'll still accept their expertise before an "award winning" spoofer forecasting gusts up to 200km/h.

Post of the day!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

watlantic wrote: »
    Can we please have separate thread dedicated to the ubiquitous colour code discussion. It's been discussed endlessly before and every time there's new warning it starts all over again.

Thread here for that debate: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057918791

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Wave depression currently developing to the south of Ireland, with 'centre' moving in an NNE direction:

2ppB3hF.gif

Some big cloud tops seem to be developing on the NW side of it, which is what will bring those potentially very heavy rainfalls to the SW later.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭emo72

Was in doolin 2 days ago, thousands of happy holiday families all in tents and caravans. I'm assuming they're gone today?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,065 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Wave depression currently developing to the south of Ireland, with 'centre' moving in an NNE direction:

Some big cloud tops seem to be developing on the NW side of it, which is what will bring those potentially very heavy rainfalls to the SW later.

Seems like it's got an 'eye' and is cyclonic, per the resident geophysicist. That's pretty concerning, this looks like a bad one. Figures my garden's at its height.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

emo72 wrote: »
    Was in doolin 2 days ago, thousands of happy holiday families all in tents and caravans. I'm assuming they're gone today?

If they're not, they'll be gone overnight I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mmc2010

wind and rain here already in East Cork...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

mmc2010 wrote: »
    wind and rain here already in East Cork...

Fairly calm and dry on the south

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Dead calm in cork city and quiet....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I've not camped in 30 years. I can walk out into my field to experience nature.

Living on the side of a mountain overlooking the Atlantic should be fun tonight!

Yeah.. when I was very new out here, I decided to take a very early walk thinking the dark is so …. deep in nature.. I suddenly realised when out of reach of the house light that I had no idea where I was, which direction was ???? Utterly totally blind dark. However hard I strained my eyes, nothing but black. I knew there was a ditch nearby and was frankly terrified. Common sense took over and I edged to the lane and then inched home. I take a torch with me now.. In gales here I have literally been blown off my feet more than once. So now I am very..... respectful.. of the power of nature and there is no way I would camp in a gale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cork Airport reporting just 6 knots of wind at 5pm. Going to ramp up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Can see the clouds rolling into my right and coming in directly off the sea, wind has picked up another bit aswell

Graces7 wrote: »
    I was living in Connemara when that lady camping in a caravan who thought this way got blown off a cliff in a gust and killed. There needs to be a sensible balance between challenge and danger with common sense mediating. One can leach into the other with great speed. In speeds like this you would not stand a chance in a tent in the open.

There should be definite advice given that all people occupying tents or caravans (In these orange/red warning situations) move to safe "built" shelter, ie check into a hotel, b&b, or go home well in time. I believe that was a particularly well-run caravan site and the owners
    very upset by that tragedy which occurred in one of the most beautiful locations in the country.

There will likely be a run on accommodation within easy reach of the coast tonight, and it would be a good thing if caravan/camping site managers were obliged to inform occupants of the weather warning. Many people take these kind of holidays to get away from the usual bad news stories and may not have caught the weather warning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

Still cloudy warm day in West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GEM for 1am----usually quite similar to the ECM

gemfr-0-12.png?12

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

There should be definite advice given that all people occupying tents or caravans (In these orange/red warning situations) move to safe "built" shelter, ie check into a hotel, b&b, or go home well in time. I believe that was a particularly well-run caravan site and the owners
    very upset by that tragedy which occurred in one of the most beautiful locations in the country.

There will likely be a run on accommodation within easy reach of the coast tonight, and it would be a good thing if caravan/camping site managers were obliged to inform occupants of the weather warning. Many people take these kind of holidays to get away from the usual bad news stories and may not have caught the weather warning.

It's on the news bulletins every hour! Message from government

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

leahyl wrote: »
    Dead calm in cork city and quiet....

It's very weird how calm it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Fastnet seeing gradual rise in wind speed
    https://twitter.com/FastnetLHouse

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Brightening up in Dublin. We brought our walk forward to 7pm. Though based on the maps, we will get just a normal gale. No one wants issues with weather in the middle of a pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

I see met.ie are giving a yellow warning for Wexford. Yet all the Wexford local weather apps are showing a red warning . Have an appointment tomorrow morning & not sure to cancel it or not !!

coathanger wrote: »
    I see met.ie are giving a yellow warning for Wexford. Yet all the Wexford local weather apps are showing a red warning . Have an appointment tomorrow morning & not sure to cancel it or not !!

Wait until around 8pm. Any changes/updates to warnings should be made by Met Eireann by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭phormium

Warm and calm here in Kerry, lovely evening for now anyway, have taken down my hanging baskets though and picked all my lovely apples before the wind blows them down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭endainoz

emo72 wrote: »

Indeed most have, there was a mass exodus of campervans out of the village today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement