Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is our plan?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

aido79 wrote: »
    Ban all travel for how long? Until they vaccinate everyone?

i never said ban all travel at all, im all for foreign travel to countrys with lower or similar rates as Ireland, im referring to early on when the virus was at it's peak as in March /April when face masks,etc werent compulsary on flights.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    But sure if it's only a small number, why would you ban travel when it's so damaging to the economy?

im not answering this again, see my above post to another poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Yes so what they should have done in March was ban all travel but they didnt,and irrespective of this it's all too easy to blame fopreign travel when the harsh reality is somewhat different, a tiny proportion of cases here are related to travel so it makes no difference whatsoever.

Ahem.....

Ahem.....

yes back then when the virus was at it's peak not now, jaysus :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭you2008

I agree it's a better plan than what we are doing.

Problem is the border. Its not possible to close it.

well if you want to you can close it, did not the French closed to Italy back to Q1 2020?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

Ban all travel, how?

I have no idea to be honest but it might involve changing a few EU laws and renegotiating the Good Friday agreement.

yes back then when the virus was at it's peak not now, jaysus :rolleyes:

The open border was still there back then, you know...... jaysus :rolleyes:

I'm getting bored with this now, I'll leave you to your multi-contradictory ramblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

But at the risk of repeating myself yet again, blaming foreign travel for cases like some do is a cop out, they only account for a small number.
    It's pretty clear that you don't understand how New Zealand got to where it did.

It closed down super early, and closed its borders super early. As a result once they go on top of all of the infections, they had it under control.

Both countries went into lockdown at roughly the same time, but we had ten times the infections that they did at that point. It spread considerably faster in Ireland than in New Zealand.

Based on our location and the amount of travel to affected regions, there is functionally no way that we could have achieved what New Zealand did unless we had closed down the country before we even had a confirmed case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

I think initially when there was serious talk of 500k deaths in Ireland it was the sensible thing to do. Now we seem to be stuck in a holding pattern of going for zero cases while allowing the world to visit us unimpeded. Now it makes far less sense. We have to accept there will be clusters and outbreaks and bring the country back to some sort of socially distanced normality. Especially schools and medical services. People are dying every day of preventable conditions, but no one is talking about that in the news.
    Where did the number of 500k deaths come from? Singapore, which did a huge amount of testing in the early days, found a case fatality rate of less than 1 percent. This is the problem when you have mathematical models and no outside scrutiny.

Anyway as far as a plan goes, things are going to have to be done which are politically unpopular. Politicians are going to have to explain that what is currently being done is unsustainable and has to change. This will mean a rise in cases and, sadly, deaths. To mitigate harm, support will need to be provided to the elderly and otherwise vulnerable. Major efforts will be expended on protecting nursing and care homes with strict protocols applied. Hospitals and ICUs will need to expand to cope with cases.

I think the politicians also need to be honest with the population that it has been known for some time that for the vast majority of people contracting the virus is comparatively harmless and confers a degree of immunity afterwards.

Politically this will be difficult because a lot of people believe that we had more or less beaten the virus with the previous measures and that there would be some lasting benefit from that.

We seem to be getting sidetracked here from the original post asking what is our plan?

Evidently there isnt one and never has been, they make it up as they go along, they done everything too late, they couldnt make up their minds about face masks for months, then suddendy decided they were compulsary months later when cases had dropped significantly, ironically enough since they made masks compulsary cases have crept up!!

The 2/5/20 km rule was another farce, not closing the borders early on when the virus was at it's peak, coming out with a ridicalous green list, some countries on it had no direct flights from Ireland and in order to get to these countries you had to travel through a country which wasnt on the green list, all this while sending mixed messages saying urging people to stay at home in the wet, why even have a green list in the first place, the unlawful checks on people in the airport who were on the pandemic payment, another cluster **** up of epic proportations and then changing their minds twice on this.

Opening pubs serving the corona €9 meal but you can only stay 105 minutes, yeah like most are going to go out for that short space of time and go home,this is Ireland a nation of piss heads, so you've people making multiple bookings in various pubs so if someone did have the virus they would be infecting mamy more as they'd be on a pub crawl , either keep them all closed or open them all up.

Constanly coming out with the staycation rubbish,frightening and shaming people who have no desire to stay here in the wet, yeah lets all go to Galway or Kerry, overcrowded with Irish staying at home , people get locked standing around and no social distancing = spike in cases, but travel to a country with low rates of covid in near empty resorts in the sun and apparently your in grave danger as opposed to staying in crowded Irish towns.

i could go on and on and on, a cluster **** of epic prorportions.

• Advertisement

We seem to be getting sidetracked here from the original post asking what is our plan?

Evidently there isnt one and never has been, they make it up as they go along, they done everything too late, they couldnt make up their minds about face masks for months, then suddendy decided they were compulsary months later when cases had dropped significantly, ironically enough since they made masks compulsary cases have crept up!!

The 2/5/20 km rule was another farce, not closing the borders early on when the virus was at it's peak, coming out with a ridicalous green list, some countries on it had no direct flights from Ireland and in order to get to these countries you had to travel through a country which wasnt on the green list, all this while sending mixed messages saying urging people to stay at home in the wet, why even have a green list in the first place, the unlawful checks on people in the airport who were on the pandemic payment, another cluster **** up of epic proportations and then changing their minds twice on this.

Opening pubs serving the corona €9 meal but you can only stay 105 minutes, yeah like most are going to go out for that short space of time and go home,this is Ireland a nation of piss heads, so you've people making multiple bookings in various pubs so if someone did have the virus they would be infecting mamy more as they'd be on a pub crawl , either keep them all closed or open them all up.

Constanly coming out with the staycation rubbish,frightening and shaming people who have no desire to stay here in the wet, yeah lets all go to Galway or Kerry, overcrowded with Irish staying at home , people get locked standing around and no social distancing = spike in cases, but travel to a country with low rates of covid in near emoty resorts in the sun and apparently your in grave danger as opposed to staying in crowded Irish towns.

We. Cannot. Close. Our. Border.

No matter how often you say it.

And pubs are not open, restaurants are. But you know that, of course.

Constanly coming out with the staycation rubbish,frightening and shaming people who have no desire to stay here in the wet, yeah lets all go to Galway or Kerry, overcrowded with Irish staying at home , people get locked standing around and no social distancing = spike in cases, but travel to a country with low rates of covid in near emoty resorts in the sun and apparently your in grave danger as opposed to staying in crowded Irish towns.

I really wish you were in charge of the previous government instead of Leo. Things would have been so much better. What's your opinion on creating a utopia when this is all over so it can't happen again?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

"Ireland doesn't have a plan"

<Proceeds to list all of the planned measures that were put in place>

What you mean to say jonny, is that there absolutely is a plan but you either don't understand it, or you just don't like the people who produced it.

I really wish you were in charge of the previous government instead of Leo. Things would have been so much better. What's your opinion on creating a utopia when this is all over so it can't happen again?

Ah good old Leo,makes a complete fcuk up of things and slips back into government as Taniste, i bet your a blueshirt :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭gral6

The plan is quite simple. Just lock up everyone again and keep borrowing. Let's hope Germany will let us relax for another half a year.

We. Cannot. Close. Our. Border.

No matter how often you say it.

And pubs are not open, restaurants are. But you know that, of course.

yeah thanks for the thought provoking response mate.

seamus wrote: »
    "Ireland doesn't have a plan"

<Proceeds to list all of the planned measures that were put in place>

What you mean to say jonny, is that there absolutely is a plan but you either don't understand it, or you just don't like the people who produced it.

yeah of course they do, they've had a solid plan from the very start and have never changed their minds , or backtracked on any of the issues...whoops:D:rolleyes:

But sure it's grand you have the chief medical officer telling the vinters association to use Google when asked to produce evidence, my god if it wasnt so farcical it would be funny.

im going for an early lunch, i need a pint :pac::D

Ah good old Leo,makes a complete fcuk up of things and slips back into government as Taniste, i bet your a blueshirt :rolleyes:

What did he fcuk up?
    I have no allegiance to any party but will happily emigrate if the looney left ever get into government.

What did he fcuk up?
    I have no allegiance to any party but will happily emigrate if the looney left ever get into government.

ill be the first to wave goodbye to you when the next election comes around and SF romp to victory.

• Advertisement

ill be the first to wave goodbye to you when the next election comes around and SF romp to victory.

Apparently they won the last election and look where they are now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭nw1dqsv7amx026

Strumms wrote: »
    What we can do is enable the law to be a deterrent.
    The bits in bold are nonsense.

If I call the Gardai on say my neighbor. 4 people in the household and 20 from elsewhere say 6 households having a party in one gaff... the Gardai arrest,

Call the guards for and see what happens! Unless there's an assault taking place you won't see any guards. The guards have been under resourced for years.
    charge, goes to court... judges convict and sentence...
    Hiw many scum bags are running around breaking the law, being caught and being let off each time.
    covered by the news, as well as covid stats.. they publish regulation breaking stats, naming and shaming as they would be legally entitled to... nobody wants that legacy...
    Yep, the papers would print but the guilty wouldn't care.
    all for having a shindig... it’s going to have a baring on people’s future employment (criminal record and standing in the community)... there is a deterrent the law and community.
    Again the guilty don't care and probably don't work.

Apparently they won the last election and look where they are now.

they'll win the next one absolutely no question, not running enough canditates was their only mistake, i cant wait for that day, decades of untold misery from FFG.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

gral6 wrote: »
    The plan is quite simple. Just lock up everyone again and keep borrowing.
    But there's no such plan right now to lock everyone, or even anyone, up.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭gral6

ixoy wrote: »
    But there's no such plan right now to lock everyone, or even anyone, up.

To get another food voucher from EU we need to justify it by imposing lockdown for another half a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

What did he fcuk up?

Just from RTE: 922,637 people on one or another type of income support from the State.
    It's a full scale disaster. I can't imagine how severe the consequences will be. "Fcuk up" is too mild word for it.

they'll win the next one absolutely no question, not running enough canditates was their only mistake, i cant wait for that day, decades of untold misery from FFG.

Running more candidates doesn't guarantee more seats for them. It's not as simple as that. Even your hero Mary Lou didn't have enough of a surplus to have another Sinn Fein candidate elected. In some constituencies having 2 SF candidates would have seen neither candidate elected.
    Be careful what you wish for because you will understand true misery if SF ever get into power.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Just from RTE: 922,637 people on one or another type of income support from the State.
    It's a full scale disaster. I can't imagine how severe the consequences will be. "Fcuk up" is too mild word for it.

If the state didn’t support people who were out of work the economic situation would be far far worse. Borrowing hand over fist isn’t as bad when you know an economic revival is coming in the next or two when we are all vaccinated so the debt can be managed. Many other countries are doing the exact same thing. The outlook isn’t as grim as you say.

Did any other countries experience this level of job loss?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Do you think a SF government would have closed the border between the Republic and NI? :)

I do notice SF have been saying very little recently. Probably wise, their supporters seem to think they will do all sorts of things they obviously would never do, but best not to tell them that.

Advertisement