Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

People back slapping themselves and saying cold is nailed on over on netweather.
    The scatter in the postage stamps shows its anything but nailed on.

The only certainty is the uncertainty :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A mild breezy drizzly mucky day in Dublin. I WANT LAST WEEK BACK PLEASE! :mad::)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

same here in Meath, dark, dreary mild drizzly muck. Hopefully we will be starting something much more seasonal by this time next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Same here in wexford. not raining yet but looks like it will soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    same here in Meath, dark, dreary mild drizzly muck. Hopefully we will be starting something much more seasonal by this time next week.

Yeah its utterly miserable, and looks like heavier rain on the way here now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Probably a good time for a boards weather break, all going well it could be busy in here by the end of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Probably a good time for a boards weather break, all going well it could be busy in here by the end of this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkILdWpsqkI

some time next week. .:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkILdWpsqkI

some time next week. .:cool:

The beast from the far east!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Yeah its utterly miserable, and looks like heavier rain on the way here now

Don’t think so. The cold air won’t reach you.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

I don't think anyone down this way is expecting snow!

• Advertisement

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I don't think anyone down this way is expecting snow!

No but Ulster will be low single figures tomorrow with a frost tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

No but Ulster will be low single figures tomorrow with a frost tonight.

Away from the Lough Foyle warm marine layer of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Top 5 coldest starts to January (1st to 10th period) over the last 45 odd years or so with regards the national mean:

2010 | -0.4c
    1985 | +1.5c
    1997 | +1.6c
    1979 | +1.8c
    2021 | +1.9c

Data from Met Eireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Donegal Co Co forecasting a 12 degree variation in temperatures tonight in the county!

https://twitter.com/DonegalMaps/status/1348713386851368962?s=19

AuntySnow wrote: »

These people are scum. There is just no politer way of putting it.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Top 5 coldest starts to January (1st to 10th period) over the last 45 odd years or so with regards the national mean:

2010 | -0.4c
    1985 | +1.5c
    1997 | +1.6c
    1979 | +1.8c
    2021 | +1.9c

Data from Met Eireann.

Not surprised of the months there and 2010 a fair bit out on its own as the start of January 2010 was exceptionally cold - yet completely overshadowed by the even more exceptional cold spells later that year.

1979 must have got a fair bit of moderation later in its period as the start of it was as cold as it gets. Lullymore achieved -18.8C on January 2nd.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

The rain reached us, believe me

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Not surprised of the months there and 2010 a fair bit out on its own as the start of January 2010 was exceptionally cold - yet completely overshadowed by the even more exceptional cold spells later that year.

1979 must have got a fair bit of moderation later in its period as the start of it was as cold as it gets. Lullymore achieved -18.8C on January 2nd.

Charts for early 1979 are very impressive, though a few weakish warm fronts did pass over between the 3rd and the 10th, but even still, it remained pretty cold throughout.

850 temp reanalysis chart for the 7th of that month shows the -10c isotherm covering much of the north Atlantic:

ERA_1_1979010812_2.png

Pretty much inconceivable today.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

. That must be serious rain up north west today. Radar looks very heavy . Imagine if that was snow

. That must be serious rain up north west today. Radar looks very heavy . Imagine if that was snow

I was just thinking that as I looked out the window a few minutes before I read your post. Hopefully sometime next week it will be snow!

• Advertisement

It’s just a persistent mizzly rain. Cold front appears to be just south of Islay, so should be clearing up soon.

We didn’t reach double figures today! Goodness knows when the last double figure high was.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a horrible mild and very wet and breezy evening here in Meath. Monthly mean temperature is currently only 0.4C. This may rise a good deal by next Monday before hopefully falling again.

currently Ireland is the second mildest country in Europe after Greece. All of Spain and Portugal even right to the costas is colder than here. Much of Morocco also colder than here.

temp_eur2.png

Gonzo wrote: »
    currently Ireland is the second mildest country in Europe after Greece. All of Spain and Portugal even right to the costas is colder than here. Much of Morocco also colder than here.

temp_eur2.png

The rest of NW Europe is quite mild too. I wouldn’t pay attention to Spain, it’s on a plateau.

This week may demonstrate again the difference between England and Ireland in terms of snow fall - we get lots of rain, while some places over there could see a decent amount of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I watched the met office forecast and parts of Scotland could see a ft of snow between now and Friday. I also think it will make a big difference as to snowfall amounts between Ireland and England, I'm hoping we get some sort of easterly soon, I know it could be in the horizon but models still need to confirm. It's like a tropical night here Carrick on Shannon it's 9c lashing rain but if only it was snow

England isn’t good for snow. They usually do alright in frontal situations, however, most of the time the snow is transitionary and is gone the next evening or day.

Occasionally, they might get a flow in from the Netherlands that may bring the temps down to low single figures and produce some snizzle.

NW air streams moderate a lot as well. From memory most were 7-8c, with rain. The January 2018 event that produced a couple of inches of snow at my home, produced drizzle and low cloud in east Anglia, as an example.

It definitely snows more here in most cases. I think people have a grass is greener approach always looking at easterlies but they are not that common.

It is as I said very mundane, mostly 8-10c and can be either sunny/low cloud. At least here our weather changes a lot in the winter.

My! It looks really wet and windy in Dublin on Claire Byrne live there
    Bone dry here 50kms south of there
    Quite a cut off on the radar south of Bray

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭OldRio

Rain of various types all day in Leitrim. Dreadful. Started at 8.00am and is pouring still.

Advertisement