Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Snowc wrote: »
    Awful day in Offaly drizzle and cloudy all day but as joanna donnelly said a few days ago on the weather she had good news after Saturday it will be mild but never mentioned it will be mild and grey and wet,it was a 100 times nicer when it was cold and bright and dry

I know. The forecasters always talk about mild weather in winter as if it is something we all want and enjoy!

It usually brings cloud and rain, so it’s not something I am excited for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Table showing temp stats from all the reporting Met Eireann stations up to the yesterday the 9th, ordered by mean.

AybZzxm.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Still misty and dreary in Kildare. Still to rise above 5°c this year..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

Have been informed the Dublin and Wicklow gaps are only passable with extreme care with treacherous conditions up there

Meanwhile in north Donegal there’s a stiff breeze and it’s fierce mild. The walls are still standing mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Have been informed the Dublin and Wicklow gaps are only passable with extreme care with treacherous conditions up there

Meanwhile in north Donegal there’s a stiff breeze and it’s fierce mild. The walls are still standing mind

Really that's surprising about Sally gap etc, I'm in Carrick on Shannon and it's milder but still cold if you get me 7c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭lolie

Temperatures got up to 5c here today, while the snow and frost is gone the ground still hasnt thawed fully.
    One from the frozen nearby pond yesterday evening.
    Its a pity it didn't freeze again last night as it would've been a great place to go again today and also have a look at the frozen lakes nearby.
    IMG-20210110-233102.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

About 4 degrees in cork city. Snow on the paths outside my house is finally beginning to melt after being there since Wednesday... very slowly at that! Mad

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I know. The forecasters always talk about mild weather in winter as if it is something we all want and enjoy!

It usually brings cloud and rain, so it’s not something I am excited for.

Some of us, do when the choice is being frozen and blown off our feet..

Mild is grand and we are made waterproof! Happy here... ;)

The wind is singing after a lengthy silence.

I think it changed direction in the night as something that was rattling loudly stopped ( see how scientific we are out here!)

West Mayo offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Mayo and Sligo

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Persistent and occasionally heavy rainfall may cause some localised flooding.

Valid: 12:00 Monday 11/01/2021 to 12:00 Tuesday 12/01/2021

Issued: 08:00 Monday 11/01/2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dark and damp here just east of Castlebar. Theres a lot to be said for a cold clear frosty morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

So glad the wind and drizzle is back, said nobody, ever. At least there is some decent rain to look forward to later on.

So glad the wind and drizzle is back, said nobody, ever. At least there is some decent rain to look forward to later on.

But some are thankful that the bitter cold and ice have gone … and yes I am glad the weather has changed. Very glad! It was lovely listening to the wind in the night.

And whatever our feelings will not change the weather. It is what it is . And it will change again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Graces7 wrote: »
    But some are thankful that the bitter cold and ice have gone … and yes I am glad the weather has changed. Very glad! It was lovely listening to the wind in the night.

And whatever our feelings will not change the weather. It is what it is . And it will change again.

I appreciate it is all relative to your own circumstances, and location. With small kids and especially with no school I'll take dry and cold any day.

I appreciate it is all relative to your own circumstances, and location. With small kids and especially with no school I'll take dry and cold any day.

Thank you and yes I totally understand. Kids need to be out!

My real point is always that as we cannot change the weather we may as well adapt and make the best of it.
    We take what we get. Regardless of location etc.

I am a refugee from the Outer Orkney Islands , and came to Ireland as I said at the time to get some sun on my old bones before I die. There was precious little up there and as for the winters. Four hours daylight at most and weeks of constant wet and wind summer and winter alike, . The three day gale of up to 124 MILES an hour is something I will never forget. ( that is on official record) Nothing we get here compares.

And I love the soft, gentle days like today.

Each to his/her own. Which is as well!

4c high tomorrow! That was a short mild spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Warm sector missing? :D

*joking :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,192 ✭✭✭highdef

And an even shorter spell of cooler temperatures with you maybe seeing double digit temperatures on Wednesday.

Villain wrote: »

Obviously not if you made a point of saying it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

The muck returns :rolleyes:

Hopefully we will get some more colder weather soon, with a better chance of snow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Villain wrote: »

You're in for it now Tony.

Still lots of ice around the farm here in SE wicklow from yesterday and the day before

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It still feels absolutely baltic to me today in Dublin, brrr.

Tomorrow’s cold airmass for Ulster is up in the North of Scotland.

Too saturated for snow but will be crisp and cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Did you ever see such rubbish reporting " A grim update"

Ireland weather: Met Eireann forecast grim update for one area as a big change is on the way - Irish Mirror Online
    https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/ireland-weather-met-eireann-forecast-23295445

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Everyone now just wants to be famous at any expense. "Look at me, I got quoted! I'm going to keep putting any old rubbish out there to now to build my followers even more!"

Even Recreto is whoring himself out on the Severe Weather Europe page, which itself is another clickbait frenzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭mcburns07

It still feels absolutely baltic to me today in Dublin, brrr.

Ah jesus, are you ever happy? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

People back slapping themselves and saying cold is nailed on over on netweather.
    The scatter in the postage stamps shows its anything but nailed on.

• Advertisement

Met Office says hill snow tonight. Not convinced with a 800 metre freezing level.

Advertisement