Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭lolie

. That must be serious rain up north west today. Radar looks very heavy . Imagine if that was snow

I'm afraid imagine is all we can do.
    12mm here so far this evening so i could've been snowed in by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

9mm in the bucket from this system, was a truly awful day here in meath

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

4.7mm here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Mild and rainy here in Swords this morning... horrible morning weatherwise .. Atlantic Muck !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Thon pissy rain that gets you every angle,rotten morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Temperature dropping here down to 1c. Might scrape an air frost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭pad199207

These seem to be getting ready. Do Volvo know something we don’t? ;)

6-C7777-A6-F34-E-4-C67-B62-C-6-A9-C347-CC954.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

It's so dark this morning, the nightvision for my IP camera only switched off a minute ago. Any way of finding out how thick the cloud cover is?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

It's so dark this morning, the nightvision for my IP camera only switched off a minute ago. Any way of finding out how thick the cloud cover is?

You can use the cloud base heights (above ground level) from here and the cloudtop heights (above sea level) from here to get a rough guess of the thickness.

Crisp and clear morning. 0c.

Glad not to be in the mild damp weather further south.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭highdef

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I wouldn’t pay attention to Spain, it’s on a plateau.
    From my own recollection of multiple visits to Spain and Portugal I have not experienced the plateau extending all the way to the coast so I would definitely pay attention to coastal parts of Spain, which are currently experiencing temperatures not dissimilar to southern coast temperatures in Ireland right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭highdef

You can use the cloud base heights (above ground level) from here and the cloudtop heights (above sea level) from here to get a rough guess of the thickness.

For the cloud base heights link, what is the unit of measurement? It doesn't seem to be stated. For example, it's 0.2 at Dublin at the moment. Is that 200m?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Got out for a run at about 8am in Dublin, actually kinda nice, not too cold and the rain had stopped, and there's like zero wind. Bright out now, I like days like this, calm.

highdef wrote: »
    For the cloud base heights link, what is the unit of measurement? It doesn't seem to be stated. For example, it's 0.2 at Dublin at the moment. Is that 200m?

Hundreds of metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Before anyone has a go at me, I am only passing on what I was told this morning by reliable family member source.

County Council management has told their appropriate section to check that all gritters, snow ploughs and grit stocks are ready to be activated as they MAY be needed next week.

I'm sure they send this message out a few times each season but it's interesting that it coincides with possible cold and snow next week. Also, my source informed me that some essential works on roads on higher ground are under review pending forecasts.

We will see.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Seems prudent given the possibility of snow and ice in the next few months :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A mild, dull, damp atlantic day. wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

highdef wrote: »

It's km, so that's 200 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Cold here in Donegal just 3c, there was sharp frost this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Before anyone has a go at me, I am only passing on what I was told this morning by reliable family member source.

County Council management has told their appropriate section to check that all gritters, snow ploughs and grit stocks are ready to be activated as they MAY be needed next week.

I'm sure they send this message out a few times each season but it's interesting that it coincides with possible cold and snow next week. Also, my source informed me that some essential works on roads on higher ground are under review pending forecasts.

We will see.....

I remember back in 2009/2010 when the government and councils got dog's abuse for not having enough salt or having 'old' salt. The government stockpiled loads after that and we had fierce mild winters for several years.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Cold here in Donegal just 3c, there was sharp frost this morning

Yes back in the cold air today.. glad to be out of that mild gunk!

Joe Bastardi is predicting it to get very cold again in a week or two right through February for this part of Europe, some potential for some severe cold too, according to the models he use it looks like it could be bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Joe Bastardi is predicting it to get very cold again in a week or two right through February for this part of Europe, some potential for some severe cold too, according to the models he use it looks like it could be bad enough.

Have you a link? Is he generally accurate?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Can’t post it now but you’ll find his video clip on weatherbell.com think it was from Saturday, yeah he’s usually pretty good. He was bang on about the recent cold snap too, I’ve been following him since before the big freeze in 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Been on his twitter for a wee while and can't see anything,mainly all about the Covid situation not much weather

gerrybhoy wrote: »
    Been on his twitter for a wee while and can't see anything,mainly all about the Covid situation not much weather

Go to weatherbell.com he does a video once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,122 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Since the elections he's gone a bit 'cuckoo'.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Reversal

Its a cold Outlook.:)

aDYA9RF.png

Must be correct, it's from the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cold 3 degrees at Knock @ 3pm

Advertisement