Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

0c on the button in meath and cloudy, balmy compared to this time yesterday evening, snow still in the garden, and roads still very slippy to in places that got no sun

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

back up to 1C now at Dunshaughlin, milder air and cloud making it's way over here, frost and ice will most likely be in full on melt mode by the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Been a fairly miserable day in west Donegal today with heavy showers and periods of misty drizzle, no snow and hardly any ice all week either. Nice to be by the sea for a couple weeks but it kills any chance of cold weather being interesting, it's been a nice enough spell of weather but looking on with jealousy at all the pics!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,690 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Foggy here now.
    Almost all the ice and bits of snow in shaded areas have gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

A super day today with frost lingering all day and dropped back to -4.7c a little while ago.

Lots of photos and videos but here is a video with a few drone clips:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Absolutely Stunning Day today. Made the most of it.

Donadea Forest was magical

63-F03-A56-5835-46-EC-A350-15-FEFA9-A5-C29.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Been a fairly miserable day in west Donegal today with heavy showers and periods of misty drizzle, no snow and hardly any ice all week either. Nice to be by the sea for a couple weeks but it kills any chance of cold weather being interesting, it's been a nice enough spell of weather but looking on with jealousy at all the pics!

It was an inland/eastern centric cold spell. Not the normal type.

Looking forward to the next one which will hopefully be more typical of what we usually get.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Dawn lighting the Galtees this morning:

kyXh72re_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭pad199207

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

Looking forward to the next one which will hopefully be more typical of what we usually get.

Hopefully it’s not typical. Hopefully it’s a beast with plenty of snow streamers for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

The inland/east/centric region is best poised for cold in Winter and warmth in Summer. It's not exclusive to this region, but in this region the occurrences of such are higher owing to simple geography.

In 2010 the prolonged cold spell, I left Laois for Kerry on December 3rd morning and drove to Killarney. Passing Cahir in Tipperary was like going into another world on the M8. By the time we reached the kingdom it was between 6c and 10c. We had left -12.3c overnight temperatures, so it was amazing to see the difference over 120 miles or thereabouts.

The following day we left Killarney and this time headed up the M7 (alternative route home) and green all the way until we past Limerick where the hills of west Tipp were coated in light snowfall. By the time we reached Roscrea it was like someone flicked a switch, heavy snow cover and -2c temperatures for the rest of the journey home.

It's amazing to see such differences over relatively short distances!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,930 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Barnaboy wrote: »
    Mullingar park today. Lake completely frozen. Never seen anything like it in Ireland before...

Really? Meh...

Ice-Killaloe-2010.jpg

A canal, next to the Shannon, in Killaloe, in 2010. There was ice on areas of Lough Derg. I walked up a local mountain and there is a small lake that was frozen over. there were some lads lemmings out on the ice, and I kid you not, one of them was jumping up and down to see how strong the ice was.

Lemmings-on-frozen-lake.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

A lot of the snow is still here in East Meath. I'm impressed by how long it has lasted. We only got around 2cms early Thursday morning. However most of it is still there

Unfortunately it will be soon washed away with the rain :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Danno wrote: »
    The inland/east/centric region is best poised for cold in Winter and warmth in Summer. It's not exclusive to this region, but in this region the occurrences of such are higher owing to simple geography.

In 2010 the prolonged cold spell, I left Laois for Kerry on December 3rd morning and drove to Killarney. Passing Cahir in Tipperary was like going into another world on the M8. By the time we reached the kingdom it was between 6c and 10c. We had left -12.3c overnight temperatures, so it was amazing to see the difference over 120 miles or thereabouts.

The following day we left Killarney and this time headed up the M7 (alternative route home) and green all the way until we past Limerick where the hills of west Tipp were coated in light snowfall. By the time we reached Roscrea it was like someone flicked a switch, heavy snow cover and -2c temperatures for the rest of the journey home.

Typically though I usually do quite well for snow. This cold spell has been useless.

It’s abnormal for it a cold front to pass over me as rain and snow on the rest of the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Moore Park at -5 on the 10pm reports, 4 degrees colder than anywhere else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a big difference in temperatures tonight compared to this time yesterday. Currently 2C now at Dunshaughlin and frost/ice is showing signs of melting.

This time yesterday it was already -5.

temp_uk.png

This cold spell is now more or less over. A two week cold spell that was fairly uneventful and too marginal for the most part but at least we managed to get 2 to 3 properly cold days in the end with a little bit of snow that stuck around in the shade for 2 days. Hopefully the next one will be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭SophieLockhart

Moore Park at -5 on the 10pm reports, 4 degrees colder than anywhere else.

and now it's -5 with nowhere else in the country negative, very strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Thomastown -6.3, south east still getting the hard frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Most recent weather reports for Waterford Airport (EIWF/WAT)
    SAIE99 EIWF 100030
    METAR EIWF 100030Z AUTO VRB02KT 8000 NCD M05/M06 Q1028=

-5 Waterford Airport, pretty much on the coast!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Was far from a great cold spell of course but the last few days at least gave it more respectability .
    Usually when a cold spell ends I often find we dont get another one for at least a couple of weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Surely a fault? No negatives now.

• Advertisement

Not this time, the southern coastal counties are "hanging on" to colder air, and clear skies for the moment. wow.met.ie shows plenty of sub-zero stations across the south coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Agreed, for such a small little island, the difference in temps/weather is incredible. As i work in Dublin but live in Cavan I always notice the difference in temps when I leave cavan for Dublin and vice versa with cavan atleast a few degrees colder majority of the time

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Agreed, for such a small little island, the difference in temps/weather is incredible. As i work in Dublin but live in Cavan I always notice the difference in temps when I leave Cavan for Dublin and vice versa with Cavan at least a few degrees colder majority of the time

Exactly. And it's quite interesting in this modern-day-age of such an amount of data available in a click - I can find out what the temperature is ten miles down the road in real-time now, whereas years ago that data just wasn't there.

Back in the 'ol dial-up days you'd wait till the next hour to see what the "current conditions" were on the previous incarnation of met.ie

I remember following the February 25th/26th snowfall back in 2001 and relying on that for radar updates and current conditions updates. Those were the days! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I wouldn't fully agree with that, eastern areas might be best placed on the rare occasions we get proper deep cold spells though I'd say inland NW is far better placed for our more regular winter cold spells (and also do well when we get deep cold). In Letterkenny we're all but guaranteed at least a couple of snow events every year which isn't really the case further south/east. I'll give you summers though, summer in Donegal can be bleak to say the least!

And yeah the difference the Atlantic makes is massive, even comparing Letterkenny to my parents place just 50km away on the west coast its like a different country when it comes to snow and ice. We can get more air frosts in a week than the coast gets in a whole winter

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Only 1 station Subzero at 6am and by alot, Moore Park at -4°c.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I
    And yeah the difference the Atlantic makes is massive, even comparing Letterkenny to my parents place just 50km away on the west coast its like a different country when it comes to snow and ice. We can get more air frosts in a week than the coast gets in a whole winter

Indeed yes. No snow and barely any frost out here this while. I keep checking the date to make sure I am in the right place here.
    We get it made up in wind though!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,300 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gonzo wrote: »
    a big difference in temperatures tonight compared to this time yesterday. Currently 2C now at Dunshaughlin and frost/ice is showing signs of melting.

This time yesterday it was already -5.

temp_uk.png

This cold spell is now more or less over. A two week cold spell that was fairly uneventful and too marginal for the most part but at least we managed to get 2 to 3 properly cold days in the end with a little bit of snow that stuck around in the shade for 2 days. Hopefully the next one will be much better.

When is the next one?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

lawred2 wrote: »
    When is the next one?
    June 1st to August 31st . Always delivers .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Snow finally melting, and the hard ground should loosen up over the next day or so. Back to normal weather for the next week or more. Very uncertain after that. Odds would favour mild weather winning out given our position, we shall see. From my perspective, I enjoyed the tail end of the cold spell, bit of snow, frozen ground and crisp sunny days. I can take rain and mild for about 10 days now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There was light drizzle falling on frozen ground here last night. Was treacherous for a while.

Advertisement