Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,305 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

June 1st to August 31st . Always delivers .

Indeed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭pad199207

Absolutely lethal in Kildare this morning. Sheet ice with the thaw and light precipitation freezing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 leeash10

2c here, ice and snow slowing melting, grey mist and light drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Grand in Dublin today, appreciate the + degrees, jogging wasn't a near death experience this morning :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I wouldn't fully agree with that, eastern areas might be best placed on the rare occasions we get proper deep cold spells though I'd say inland NW is far better placed for our more regular winter cold spells (and also do well when we get deep cold). In Letterkenny we're all but guaranteed at least a couple of snow events every year which isn't really the case further south/east. I'll give you summers though, summer in Donegal can be bleak to say the least!

And yeah the difference the Atlantic makes is massive, even comparing Letterkenny to my parents place just 50km away on the west coast its like a different country when it comes to snow and ice. We can get more air frosts in a week than the coast gets in a whole winter

I agree with you. We are usually the best placed on the island for snow etc. We usually always get at least a few days of lying snowfall (not a skiff). Even in the mild winters. So it’s odd not to have got that this year.

I don’t know what happened in this cold spell, it was an odd one. All the snow bypassed me or else fell as rain here but snow further south on the island. We got warm sector after warm sector.

And our frosts weren’t as sharp as we had a lot of cloud drifting in from Scotland. -10c in Katesbridge? I only managed -4c. Had it been clear I am sure I would’ve scored at least -7c.

Definitely a very odd cold spell. Hopefully back to normal in the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mild and gray, and low cloud sequestering mountains and sky. Not a hint of a chill

West Mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I agree with you. We are usually the best placed on the island for snow etc.

I don’t know what happened in this cold spell, it was an odd one. All the snow bypassed me or else fell as rain here but snow further south on the island.

Hard to tell. I Iive in inlands south east and we rarely have a year without snow too. We definitely get better temps in summer though.

screamer wrote: »
    Hard to tell. I Iive in inlands south east and we rarely have a year without snow too. We definitely get better temps in summer though.

I am talking about lying snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

I agree with you. We are usually the best placed on the island for snow etc. We usually always get at least a few days of lying snowfall (not a skiff). Even in the mild winters. So it’s odd not to have got that this year.

I don’t know what happened in this cold spell, it was an odd one. All the snow bypassed me or else fell as rain here but snow further south on the island. We got warm sector after warm sector.

And our frosts weren’t as sharp as we had a lot of cloud drifting in from Scotland. -10c in Katesbridge? I only managed -4c. Had it been clear I am sure I would’ve scored at least -7c.

Definitely a very odd cold spell. Hopefully back to normal in the next one.

Monaghan is statistically the snowiest county in Ireland. I'd argue north east Midlands best placed for snowfall, counties like Monaghan /Cavan /longford /north Roscommon / leitrim. Can imagine donegal does well in a cold north west wind

Never thought I’d see the day where 7c feels warm!

• Advertisement

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Monaghan is statistically the snowiest county in Ireland. I'd argue north east Midlands best placed for snowfall, counties like Monaghan /Cavan /longford /north Roscommon / leitrim. Can imagine donegal does well in a cold north west wind

I would say it’s more like Tyrone. Anyway Monaghan might do well in marginal/frontal setups but I’m not sure it’s the best place otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

I would say it’s more like Tyrone. Anyway Monaghan might do well in marginal/frontal setups but I’m not sure it’s the best place otherwise.

Yeah, I would agree that in an average winter, Tyrone probably does best, especially with regards to where a significant amount of people either live or the location of well traveled roads are located. This would bring in Derry/Londonderry as well, inland and upland areas anyway, including the Glenshane Pass.....I think that's on the Sperrins but please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,927 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Wait until we hit 10C!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115782606&postcount=1397

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I was talking about ROI but yes Tyrone would do best if talking about the whole island

Just 4.1c down here in Arklow
    A lot of hard ice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

4C here in Meath now and everything is melted except for the very odd patch of ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Gonzo wrote: »
    4C here in Meath now and everything is melted except for the very odd patch of ice.

Yeah and its miserable, foggy, damp and dark, feels colder then it is

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

BBC4 @ 9pm. Killer storms and Cruel winters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Danno wrote: »
    Not this time, the southern coastal counties are "hanging on" to colder air, and clear skies for the moment. wow.met.ie shows plenty of sub-zero stations across the south coast.

I can unscientifically confirm -5 @ moore park during the night, judging by my frozen pipes. Im not far from moore park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I can unscientifically confirm -5 @ moore park during the night, judging by my frozen pipes. Im not far from moore park.

I would be about a 30 minute drive from Moorepark and when it was recording -5c last night I was hovering just around freezing level. Big contrast in such a small area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭appledrop

I know out for a walk + kept saying to my husband great its so mild. Its still only 4 degrees here!

Anything is mild compared to yesterday, although it all did look beautiful in sunshine once you kept moving!

Talk of a triple SSW now, with the polar vortex permanently battered for the winter, I really think by the end of January into much of February we could be on the cusp of a brutal cold spell. We are well overdue one at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Seriously snowy sky in D15,petty it's not cold enough alas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭appledrop

The sky looks mad here in NCD purplely /grey like its going to snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

appledrop wrote: »
    I know out for a walk + kept saying to my husband great its so mild. Its still only 4 degrees here!

Anything is mild compared to yesterday, although it all did look beautiful in sunshine once you kept moving!

It has been positively balmy! Bliss after recent days. Just to be.... not to be too cold even to shiver. Long may it last. But good that folk had snow and ice..

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Talk of a triple SSW now, with the polar vortex permanently battered for the winter, I really think by the end of January into much of February we could be on the cusp of a brutal cold spell. We are well overdue one at this stage!

I will not get hopes up but the FI charts look tasty. Now I'm not saying I want to see brutal cold but even a few days of decent lying snow with a few nights of below -5 would be welcome. Reminds me of winters years ago when we were guaranteed to get a few days of winter every year. But not so much in the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Awful day in Offaly drizzle and cloudy all day but as joanna donnelly said a few days ago on the weather she had good news after Saturday it will be mild but never mentioned it will be mild and grey and wet,it was a 100 times nicer when it was cold and bright and dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Mean monthly temperature - 0.1 here up to this afternoon. Will rise next week, but any shot of cold weather after next week, should see that drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Casement mean temperature standing at 0.0C to January 9th. It will be getting a significant bump in the next week despite being only closer to average.

To put this in context, Casement has seen a sub 1C monthly mean only once since its records began in 1964, December 2010 (-0.5C).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Was a decent enough day here in wexford, plenty of sunshine.

Advertisement