Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭highdef

This is why we should end wintertime now. The sunrise would be at 8:40, like Jan, but getting earlier mich more rapidly. And there would be some brightness until 7.

All year summertime would have 9:40 jan sunrise in Dublin, later in the west. Still the better solution though if there’s one time all year.
    As I mentioned, it's different strokes for different folks. Those long bright summer evenings that seem to go on forever in June and July are literally what's keeping me from moving to a warmer climate. Sitting in the garden on a warm summers evening with the sun on my face after 9pm.... Bliss. And not just the extra light. Because the sun is above the horizon later than if we weren't in Standard Time, residual warmth lasts later into the evening so quite often you can be sitting in a warm garden in Twilight at about 11pm. Many a happy memory have been made on those blissful summer evenings with family or friends, after having a BBQ earlier and then enjoying drinks and chats until after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sleet here, met ie mention it for tonight. Watching it slide down the door glass

And it is very dark and foreboding and wet. And windy. But we have power and internet.

west mayo offshore

highdef wrote: »
    As I mentioned, it's different strokes for different folks. Those long bright summer evenings that seem to go on forever in June and July are literally what's keeping me from moving to a warmer climate. Sitting in the garden on a warm summers evening with the sun on my face after 9pm.... Bliss. And not just the extra light. Because the sun is above the horizon later than if we weren't in Standard Time, residual warmth lasts later into the evening so quite often you can be sitting in a warm garden in Twilight at about 11pm. Many a happy memory have been made on those blissful summer evenings with family or friends, after having a BBQ earlier and then enjoying drinks and chats until after dark.

Sure. That’s why I said if there were to be no time change the summer time option is best. If we keep the time change I’d prefer a much shorter winter time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hail shower in south mayo
    Bring back the mild weather of Sunday and Monday . Sick of this :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A lovely day here in Meath, almost unbroken sunshine and blue skies. It's not as mild as earlier in the week but still a great day for a walk and getting stuff done in the garden.

• Advertisement

Gloriously dramatic hailstorm here; invigorating,.. Love it!

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

2.9c Kilygordon
    10.8c Blanchardstown

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

10C here and still blue skies and plenty of sunshine, if it wasn't for that breeze it would feel fairly warm in the strong sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

km79 wrote: »
    Hail shower in south mayo
    Bring back the mild weather of Sunday and Monday . Sick of this :(

Would you prefer to have hail/wintry weather conditions in late March or April instead? Let this type of weather stay here up to St Patrick`s Day and from then onwards let`s have some proper spring type weather for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It's all down to personal preference and various Irish polls that have been carried out have resulted in far higher support for all round Irish Standard Time versus Winter Time.

It's mid February now. It's just gone 07:30. The light outside is usable. However, at a personal level I have very little requirement for daylight before my working day. I don't do any DIY or painting or gardening before work as I'd have to get up at about 5/6am in order to get enough work done and to clean up afterwards to justify it. Much better to do all that work after work, in any case.... For me anyway.

I often go for a short walk (20/30 minutes) before work. Whether it's in brightness or darkness does not bother me..... High Viz and torch if it's dark, no torch if it's not dark. The morning walk is more a requirement for the dog rather than a leisure activity for me.

But to be able to get out gardening after work (from about 17:30/18:00) from early February onwards Monday to Friday, when weather permits, would be a godsend. That's two extra full month's of possible outdoor work that can be done in a year.

Then there's that absolutely horrible feeling of being thrown into the depths of winter when the clocks change in October. All of a sudden, it's dark all too early.

Studies show that extra daylight in the morning is more important for overall wellbeing than the evening, a natural way to start the day. The summer nights here can be after 11 before it gets dark , an hour shaved off that would suit me. It will be interesting to see what happens, ultimately I think we will stick with the UKs time zone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,209 ✭✭✭ongarite

Gonzo wrote: »
    10C here and still blue skies and plenty of sunshine, if it wasn't for that breeze it would feel fairly warm in the strong sunshine.

Great day here too. If are in a sun spot sheltered from the wind, it is pleasure to be outside.
    Spring definitely on the way, sound of kids outside playing last 2 days.
    Paths, cycle lanes packed with people outside enjoying the weather today.

Pangea wrote: »
    Studies show that extra daylight in the morning is more important for overall wellbeing than the evening, a natural way to start the day. The summer nights here can be after 11 before it gets dark , an hour shaved off that would suit me. It will be interesting to see what happens, ultimately I think we will stick with the UKs time zone.
    I agree, summer evenings are not a serious issue, the decision shouldn't be about some fella moaning about losing an hour sitting in his garden after a BBQ. It's brighter mornings, people getting up for work, children getting out of bed for school, that would give far greater benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The time thing usually has huge majority support for keeping summertime, I would love it anyway.
    I really like dark mornings too so I'd welcome that anyway.

Sun is blazing in Dublin 5 now, trying to finish up work early so I can get to the park. There's warmth off the sun, feels amazing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Some sort of cold front has pulled through. We have had a rapid drop to 5c.

I really wouldn’t be keen on permanent BST. It’s dark here at 8:30am in midwinter. It’s best just to extend the length of time on BST.

But we can’t do away with winter time.

Pangea wrote: »
    Ugh, no thanks, the mornings would be dark until nearly 10am, if we have to change then it should be winter time all year round or as the older people called it 'old time'.
    Personally I like the dark days of winter.

I have to agree. We have really dark mornings here in winter. 9:30am darkness ain’t worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,885 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They've been talking about it for as long as I can remember and nothing has changed. Nothing will change, don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

I'd prefer winter time all yr round. That's the true time anyway, summertime was only first introduced during ww1.
    I thought when the clocks go forward next month that is going to be the way it stays,although I hope not.

If we got rid of summer time getting to sleep in May, June and July would be even more difficult, it's bad enough as it is when it starts getting bright around 3am. If we had winter time throughout the year we would start seeing it get bright at 2am instead. If it was up to me I would move the clocks forward another hour in the summer between May and July for extra darkness during night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Billcarson wrote: »
    I'd prefer winter time all yr round. That's the true time anyway, summertime was only first introduced during ww1.
    I thought when the clocks go forward next month that is going to be the way it stays,although I hope not.

That was being proposed to happen by the EU authorities a few years ago but, like so much else, Covid-19 has put it on the long finger.

• Advertisement

If we got rid of summer time getting to sleep in May, June and July would be even more difficult, it's bad enough as it is when it starts getting bright around 3am. If we had winter time throughout the year we would start seeing it get bright at 2am instead. If it was up to me I would move the clocks forward another hour in the summer between May and July for extra darkness during night time.

Yeah, that's another very good point - Taking Dublin as an example, with winter time all year round, sunrise would be before 5am from the end of April until mid August with sunrises before 4am for most of June. I would be sure that most people would think of this as being a waste of daylight hours that would be put to much better use in the evening, when the vast majority of people are up and about doing things.

I see the term Summer Time being mentioned a lot here. Don't forget that in the Republic, the official term is Irish Standard Time. Unlike the UK (and most countries), what is colloquially known as Summer Time is actually the regular time in the Republic with Winter time being the offset times. From Wikipedia (it explains it better than me!):

"In Ireland, the Standard Time Act 1968 legally established that the time for general purposes in the State (to be known as standard time) shall be one hour in advance of Greenwich mean time throughout the year.[2] This act was amended by the Standard Time (Amendment) Act 1971, which legally established Greenwich Mean Time as a winter time period.[1] Ireland therefore operates one hour behind standard time during the winter period, and reverts to standard time in the summer months. This is defined in contrast to the other states in the European Union, which operate one hour ahead of standard time during the summer period, but produces the same end result."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Met Eireann forecasting strong winds right through to next Tuesday. Are the models supporting this in general? I remember reading at the end of the cold spell that the outlook was dry and mild but Met Eireann going for a fairly unsettled week or so.

Would you prefer to have hail/wintry weather conditions in late March or April instead? Let this type of weather stay here up to St Patrick`s Day and from then onwards let`s have some proper spring type weather for the rest of the season.

All this reminds me of the old saying. " If wishes were horses, beggars would ride".... We get no say in it so try to enjoy what we get!

Wild out here today, but it feels different. A different "energy" to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭appledrop

Another beautiful sunny day in NCD.

Gone dull now but beautiful blue skies for most of day. The wind is a bit nippy but after last week it's glorious.

So thankfully midterm is this week and not last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Cork, Kerry, Waterford, Wexford

Strong southerly winds on Thursday night and Friday with mean speeds of 50 to 60km/h and gusts of 80 to 100km/h. There remains a possibility of localised coastal flooding.

Valid: 21:00 Thursday 18/02/2021 to 16:00 Friday 19/02/2020
    Issued: 15:17 Wednesday 17/02/2021

Status Yellow - Rainfall warning for Cork, Kerry, Waterford

Heavy rain on Thursday night and Friday may cause some river flooding and localised surface flooding. Rainfall totals of 30 to 40mm, higher in mountainous regions.

Valid: 21:00 Thursday 18/02/2021 to 16:00 Friday 19/02/2021
    Issued: 15:16 Wednesday 17/02/2021

Irish standard time is a rather daft concept giving the islands position straddling or in the November timeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Yeah, that's another very good point - Taking Dublin as an example, with winter time all year round, sunrise would be before 5am from the end of April until mid August with sunrises before 4am for most of June. I would be sure that most people would think of this as being a waste of daylight hours that would be put to much better use in the evening, when the vast majority of people are up and about doing things.

I see the term Summer Time being mentioned a lot here. Don't forget that in the Republic, the official term is Irish Standard Time. Unlike the UK (and most countries), what is colloquially known as Summer Time is actually the regular time in the Republic with Winter time being the offset times. From Wikipedia (it explains it better than me!):

"In Ireland, the Standard Time Act 1968 legally established that the time for general purposes in the State (to be known as standard time) shall be one hour in advance of Greenwich mean time throughout the year.[2] This act was amended by the Standard Time (Amendment) Act 1971, which legally established Greenwich Mean Time as a winter time period.[1] Ireland therefore operates one hour behind standard time during the winter period, and reverts to standard time in the summer months. This is defined in contrast to the other states in the European Union, which operate one hour ahead of standard time during the summer period, but produces the same end result."

But before ww1 was standard time not winter time in Ireland, like most places?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It would be darker an hour earlier so should be easier to get to sleep unless your a night owl that is therefore black out curtains would be a worthy investment :) Sunrise on June 23rd is 4:57 this summer in Dublin.
    Il take a 4am sunrise in June over a 9.57 one on a December morning. Each to their own though..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

I was hoping some could advise me on something I have always thought about. In the winter time living near Portmarnock even on the clearest of mornings there is always this bank of cloud facing east, I have always found it strange.

IMG-8589.jpg

• Advertisement

Chong wrote: »
    I was hoping some could advise me on something I have always thought about. In the winter time living near Portmarnock even on the clearest of mornings there is always this bank of cloud facing east, I have always found it strange.

IMG-8589.jpg

My sister in law swims at Portmarnock beach every morning at sunrise. She sometimes sends me some photos or video. Just checked some recent ones where it's not cloudy and I've a video from the 9th and 28th of January. In both, the sun has just come up over the horizon and the skies are clear all the way from horizon to the viewpoint looking east so your question is answered...... That bank of cloud is not always there in the morning.

Advertisement