Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

namloc1980 wrote: »
    My garden hasn't dried out for 6 months at this stage. Where exactly was the ground "bone dry" recently?

The ground was born dry here during the easterly. All we had was light snow flurries that sublimated. The ground itself had turned a dusty white colour and almost looked similar to the ground after a long warm spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The ground was born dry here during the easterly. All we had was light snow flurries that sublimated. The ground itself had turned a dusty white colour and almost looked similar to the ground after a long warm spell.
    There are 2 fields beside my house. One is in grass and was like the picture at the end of the dry windy spell. The one beside it is tilled and never dried out fully. It is way behind in terms of growth. The pools of water on top dried out but that's it. Now they're back with a vengeance. I feel very sorry for farmers all over Ireland now, particularly in the East where it is wettest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Almost still with just a chill breath of air on the face.

Yesterday was quite.... appalling! We had that one day on Thursday when it was possible to go over and shop and when we had post. Before it closed in again.

Perfect!

Then the deluges and squalls and bitter chill returned. And a loud night.

I am checking the garden daily, and the first shoots of chickweed are up. Promising a good harvest later..

Let us see what today brings!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Yellow wind warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Southeasterly winds veering southwesterly will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h with gusts of 90 to 110km/h.

Valid: 11:00 Saturday 20/02/2021 to 18:00 Saturday 20/02/2021

Issued: 09:00 Saturday 20/02/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Airport warnings for Dublin, Casement, Knock, Shannon and Cork, respectively. The 12Z aviation chart shows the low of 973 hPa just west of Kerry and racing northeastwards at 40 knots. A very complex frontal pattern consisting of 3 parallel frontal waves over Ireland. 2000-ft wind of 75 knots at 50N 7.5W, or due south of Cork.

EIDW AD WRNG 01 VALID 201300/201800 WIND SFC SSE 25-30KT MAX 40-45 BECMG 2014/2016 SW 25-30KT MAX 40-45 FCST=

EIME AD WRNG 01 VALID 201200/201800 WIND SFC SSE 25-30KT MAX 45-50 BECMG 2014/2016 SW 25-30KT MAX 40-45 FCST=

EIKN AD WRNG 01 VALID 201300/201700 WIND SFC SSE 25-30KT MAX 45-50 BECMG 2014/2016 SW 25-30KT MAX 50-55 FCST=

EINN AD WRNG 01 VALID 201200/201600 WIND SFC SSE 30-35KT MAX 45-50 BECMG 2014/2016 SW 25-30KT MAX 45-50 FCST=

EICK AD WRNG 01 VALID 201100/201600 WIND SFC SSE 30-35KT MAX 50-55 BECMG 2012/2014 SW 25-30KT MAX 35-40 FCST=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Winds have suddenly increased strong in Kildare

All is gray… sky dark gray. ocean a grizzled rippling... air dim and sodden with fast falling ...precipitation! Rain being too slight and trivial a word for what is happening.

WET! Sodden. A day to stoke the fire high, light bright flames of candles, listen to music..

West Mayo offshore.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

973.3 hPa Falling Rapidly, so fell a lot since the last Obs

Only a ripple of a breeze here near Tralee, raining 2.4mm

pression2_uk_ncx6.png

Gusts

SKW73Jl.png

Midday

Casement gusting 45 knots
    Cork airport gusting 45 knots
    Johnstown Castle gusting 42 knots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Doesn't seem too bad here in Rathdrum Wicklow at the moment. Blustery and heavy rain but the winds aren't gusting as strong as the forecast said so far.

Edit: 30 mins later I rescind the above, wild here now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yes same here in Laois, nothing out of the ordinary so far, expecting some stronger gusts within the next hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fairly heavy rain at the moment. The settled spell can't come soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Some torrential showers in Castlebar currently.

Xenji wrote: »
    Some torrential showers in Castlebar currently.

And out here. Deluging.. west mayo offshore.

Power gone here near Rathdrum. I jinxed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Thundery downpour now. Hope it clears up later so I can get a walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

For once we missed the rain here in my area of meath, dry sunny and very windy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭4Ad

Calm and sunny in East Clare now. Different story an hour ago when I was out running, sideways rain and the wind was howling..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Crapola
    11.7C
    Winds gusty now and again
    Looks like another burst of crapola moving up from the south.

Edit sorry mods wrong thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,107 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just had a shower in West Clare, afterwards the winds whipped up immensely, fierce gusts that emptied both wheelie bins and played around with several of the contents of the gardens. Most unusual.

• Advertisement

A flash of lightning clear in the Dark Sky area we have here - and here is the thunder? Far far away though, to the ??east??

Else a loud night of wind and sudden deluges.

West Mayo offshore.

Following some thundery showers early this morning,its turned into a sunny start to the day here in Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Graces7 wrote: »
    It is intensely chilly now. nasty sneaky breeze...

It's Mother Nature, you need to embrace her and not call her "nasty"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Train ride through southern Switzerland last March. The purest of the pure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsVJ8PCV-0M

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Train ride through southern Switzerland last March. The purest of the pure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsVJ8PCV-0M

Lovely! thank you!

Beautiful afternoon. Good and bright evening ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,610 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Spring has sprung. Lovely day in Galway.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Beautiful here in Meath too, feels more like April than February. Just after doing a 90 minute walk and seen so many people of all ages walking, running and cycling.

Same here in South Wicklow. Lovely day with plenty of blue sky and relatively warm sunshine. I live rurally and I rarely see others when out walking but lots of people out and about today and most seemed in good form. A spell of good weather really does improve the general mood I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Artane2002

very nice morning in Dublin 5, we haven't had many nice mornings this year.

Advertisement