Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

appledrop wrote: »
    Will have to catch the Rugby at 3pm! Should be fun watching them trying to play in that.It should suit us better than French.

If Keith Earls couldn't hold that high ball in a roofed Cardiff, he'll struggle in a windy Lansdowne!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭ongarite

Gonzo wrote: »
    getting much milder now. Next two weeks could turn out to be the mildest spell of weather we've had since October and if some of those crazy warmth charts verify along with sunshine we might get a day or two of t-shirt wearing weather. My main wish right now is for the rain and especially the Atlantic to go away for a few weeks. It's been a long wet and chilly winter.

Maybe it's just me, but moss growth this winter has been the most I can remember. Never seen as many driveways or gardens overgrown with it before.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ongarite wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me, but moss growth this winter has been the most I can remember. Never seen as many driveways or gardens overgrown with it before.

The moss is bad here too. I've a feeling it's about to get worse too with the rain and mild. Grass will probably start to grow now too. It feels so warm outside compared to anything over the past few months. It's warmer outside than it is inside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mcburns07

First springlike afternoon of the year, 12c in East Cork this afternoon.

6-C452531-C560-4044-9-C26-BF901139-B675.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

The front that passed over NI yesterday afternoon is producing freezing rain in Cumbria. How odd. Only 120 miles away and the cold air is still over east Anglia after all this time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Jeez the amount of rain that fell in a short space of time this morning was unreal, just been for a walk and their is a lot of water flowing out of fields, the field beside us is flooded again, it slopes behind our house to the road, doesnt help that hedges were cut on friday and the tractors left deep tracks so the water cant drain away in places

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Dry bright and breezy here just outside Castlebar. Ground drying up fast. Escaped the worst of the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hit 13.0c in South Laois a short while ago. First "teens" of Winter 2020-21. Last mild high was 12.6c on December 18th 2020.

Gorgeous sunny day here too. Didn’t know this was on board, nice surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Same here now, great to be able to go outside without having to wrap up. I'd still take another cold spell but firmly looking forward to some spring warmth from now on

• Advertisement

Just been outside, feels like mid 20’s!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭spoonerhead

Sun and 12C, feels like heaven. I can really feel the extra hour of brightness. I’m a snow lover, but must say given the lockdown circumstances, I’d happily take a mild dry run from now till April.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well the wind died down as predicted by Oscar Bravo and sun actually appeared for 1st time here in NCD in about 3 weeks.

The rugby was abandoned at half time + we got out for a lovely walk.

It was so mild, it was like a dream. Just back in and Ireland lost again so we didn't miss anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

First day I've been out for a wee jog wearing a rain jacket which I took off as it was mild,weird out there compared to last week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The front that passed over NI yesterday afternoon is producing freezing rain in Cumbria. How odd. Only 120 miles away and the cold air is still over east Anglia after all this time!

Parts of East Anglia are closer to Denmark than they are to parts of Cornwall!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lovely evening in the west
    Need more of this
    Sick of the cold

Danno wrote: »
    Parts of East Anglia are closer to Denmark than they are to parts of Cornwall!

Still only an island over.. about 350 miles away. I can remember fronts took an age to reach there... often usually 24-30 hours after passing here

• Registered Users Posts: 12 A_mc_b

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway and Mayo
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Southwesterly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h and gusts of 90 to 110km/h. Where winds are onshore there is a risk of coastal flooding around high tide.

Valid: 21:00 Monday 15/02/2021 to 09:00 Tuesday 16/02/2021

Issued: 16:00 Sunday 14/02/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Glorious afternoon and evening in Limk City. 12c and sunny skies in a light southerly breeze.

Managed a nice 6km walk and arrived home sweating. Who needs snow?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

No wind this morning in Dublin 16. After days and days of wind, it sounds eerie not to hear the wind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DOCARCH wrote: »
    No wind this morning in Dublin 16. After days and days of wind, it sounds eerie not to hear the wind!

We have wind … West Mayo offshore . I think it is lessening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo and Sligo

Update: Southwesterly winds will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h and gusts of 90 to 110km/h, possibly higher in exposed coastal fringes. Where winds are onshore there is a risk of coastal flooding around high tide.

Valid: 21:00 Monday 15/02/2021 to 08:00 Tuesday 16/02/2021

Issued: 09:23 Monday 15/02/2021

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Right folks with tempatures set to soar over the next few days/weeks it's time for me to bow out of this thread.

It wasn't the worst Winter on record but I felt like it could have been so much more, see ye all in August for the Winter 2021/22 thread, where we'll all be aboard the hype train again! Choo choo!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Loughc wrote: »
    Right folks with tempatures set to soar over the next few days/weeks it's time for me to bow out of this thread.

It wasn't the worst Winter on record but I felt like it could have been so much more, see ye all in August for the Winter 2021/22 thread, where we'll all be aboard the hype train again! Choo choo!

There is time left yet! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

There is time left yet! :D

Only thing there's time left is on the current forecast is to get a tan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Met Éireann have snow in their forecast for Wednesday night, where did that come out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah I see that. Surely thats a mistake. Will probably be more sleety rain that what we had Thursday to Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

pauldry wrote: »
    Yeah I see that. Surely thats a mistake. Will probably be more sleety rain that what we had Thursday to Saturday

says "sleet and snow" and "wintry showers" Weds and Thursday. for Connacht.

I was just outside chasing stray sheep ( that are supposed to be fenced in way away) and trying to find my mail bag ( which is supposed to be on my gate but is clearly way away) and I would believe anything in that frigid bitter wind off the ocean. SHIVERS! Takes the breath away.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭pauldry

Kermit will let us know. He is Mr Snow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Loughc wrote: »

I wouldnt be surprised to see you back before March is out ðŸ˜႒

Advertisement