Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 windows 7 home premium

appledrop wrote: »
    We have been very lucky in Dublin this week.

Blue skies all week it has just been brilliant.

We got out for another trip to park this evening, it was good to go later as only time playground is relatively quite.

My son has had a great week, and I have a large pile of mucky clothes to prove it!
    Lucky for you. It's been a crap week in the southeast. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

appledrop wrote: »
    We have been very lucky in Dublin this week.

Blue skies all week it has just been brilliant.

We got out for another trip to park this evening, it was good to go later as only time playground is relatively quite.

My son has had a great week, and I have a large pile of mucky clothes to prove it!

The past week has been the sunniest I've seen it in a long, long time. The next week looks terrible but hopefully after that we will start getting that build of high pressure for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭brevity

I dunno what’s going on with the weather around us (North Cork) at the moment. The days are dry and relatively calm but the last 4 nights feel like we are sailing through a squall. The howling wind and lashing rain are something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Very heavy rain at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭4Ad

Wind howling and the rain is trying it's best to break the windows..fair wild out.
    After the showers cleared at Midday it was a lovely day in East Clare...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wild and loud the high wind's howling. Circling and battering, screaming and threatening. All the night long.

Primeval windsong. sweeping over the wide ocean. Caressing the rocky shore as it has done for countless centuries.

Snugged in out here as the shopping arrived in that brief interval yesterday. So all is well. Food and fuel.

But no early wander on the lanes possible.

I checked when daffodils were mentioned. A few leaves are up but no sign of buds yet. These last gales have scorched many sturdy perennials but they will renew as the roots are fine. They weather the weather as we do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Haven't seen rain like this in a good while.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Bucketing rain on cork city all night with strong winds, and woke up to even heavier rain and still windy. Place is absolutely saturated from the last few days of rain, plenty of flooding around the place... There's actual pools in my front garden that I've not seen in years

Horrendous morning her in Cork. Incessant rain and gales. As a previous poster said, we've had mostly dry days this week, but the nights have been very wet. Today is a horrible exception, with flooding now a real possibility given the forecast.

Bring on that high pressure system that is lurking about a week out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Rain not as bad here in the east as I was expecting this morning but very gusty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rain has cleared and sky still overcast but brighter patches now here in Kerry. Another 13.6mm since midnight on top of 11.6mm yesterday.

69.6mm so far since Sunday, floods in local fields that I haven't seen in some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well the rain had to eventually land here in Dublin but its only ver light rain at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Rotten night/morning near Rathdrum Wicklow. Gusty and no end to the rain, could do with some bright, dry, still weather to lift the mood. It's not too much to ask is it?!

According to Met Eireann we're in for more of the same all day tomorrow with significant wind for the afternoon, and Monday into Tuesday more of the same again. Don't remember a spell like this on the East coast for quite some time with so many days of strong winds and heavy rain in succession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Second Feb in a row where rainfall at Cork Airport is likely to end 2x the LTA.

Looking through the last few years we don't tend to get 3 months in a row above average so i'm hopeful that March will be an improvement :)

Rotten night/morning near Rathdrum Wicklow. Gusty and no end to the rain, could do with some bright, dry, still weather to lift the mood. It's not too much to ask is it?!

According to Met Eireann we're in for more of the same all day tomorrow with significant wind for the afternoon, and Monday into Tuesday more of the same again. Don't remember a spell like this on the East coast for quite some time with so many days of strong winds and heavy rain in succession.

Vile in Arklow down the road
    Howling wing gusting 70kmh
    Pouring rain
    https://twitter.com/Arklowweather/status/1362733431352922118?s=19

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Really getting fed up of the Atlantic, another very wild night here and lost sleep due to the loud wind and rain bashing against the bedroom window for most of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Southerly winds are expected to reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h and gusts of up to 100km/h on Saturday afternoon.

Valid: 12:00 Saturday 20/02/2021 to 17:00 Saturday 20/02/2021

Issued: 11:11 Friday 19/02/2021

February is turning into a much milder month than many people expected, it's also turning into a very wet month.

The cold spell at the start of February did not have the intensity of nearby countries in Europe and ended very swiftly. At the end of January I gave a prediction in MT's February contest of 2.9C. I couldn't be further away from the mark if I tried. Dunsany is now sitting at 5.0C which is 0.1C above average. With another 9 days of February to go and some very mild weather throughout, I'm expecting February to finish close to a mean of 6.0C.

The CET in the UK was considerably lower than our mean about a week ago, but they are also making a very swift recovery there too.

Rainfall for Dunsany is already sitting at 76.1mm and does not factor in all the rain that fell last night and what is due today. Weekend and much of next week looks fairly wet too so I wouldn't be surprised if February finishes up as another 100mm+ month after the already very wet January which finished up with 104.7mm. December 2020 was also fairly wet coming in at 89mm.

Combining all 3 winter months could well end up seeing this winter as one of the wettest winters in several years although we are unlikley to beat the rainfall totals of last February which produced 157.1mm of rain, however January 2020 was considerably dryer than January 2021.

We could really do with a long dry spell at some point this spring, not only have we had a wet winter but we also had a very wet summer and I can't remember the last time the ground was properly dry.

A spring like last year's would be welcome but there is 0 chance of that happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    Combining all 3 winter months could well end up seeing this winter as one of the wettest winters in several years although we are unlikely to beat the rainfall totals of last February which produced 157.1mm of rain, however January 2020 was considerably drier than January 2021.

Slightly drier than 2019-20 (278.5mm) as of this point with 269.8mm but only because February 2020 was so extraordinarily wet. January 2020 as you say was a good bit drier and provided a nice drier interlude, although still very westerly and mild, between the deluges of Autumn 2019 and what would follow in the February. 2015-16 was the last winter to greatly exceed both of these with 362.2mm which was in large part due to December 2015 - Ireland's national wettest month on record I believe. 2013-14 had 336.5mm too. Every other winter since 2006 at Dunsany has been drier than this one.

• Advertisement

Floods back in the fields.
    This February is just further proof that extended model output can get it badly wrong and it's wise not to get caught up in what they show for week 2 and 3 of any month, especially when they are showing what you'd like to happen.

pad199207 wrote: »
    Status Yellow - Wind warning for Waterford, Wexford, Wicklow

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Southerly winds are expected to reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h and gusts of up to 100km/h on Saturday afternoon.

Valid: 12:00 Saturday 20/02/2021 to 17:00 Saturday 20/02/2021

Issued: 11:11 Friday 19/02/2021

Gust of 80kmh SW here near Arklow an hour ago
    Last 3 gusts above 60
    16.4mm rain and rising
    Its wild out there (already never mind tomorrow)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Following a morning of heavy rain its now mostly sunny here in Castlebar and very mild.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

We could really do with a long dry spell at some point this spring, not only have we had a wet winter but we also had a very wet summer and I can't remember the last time the ground was properly dry.

A spring like last year's would be welcome but there is 0 chance of that happening again.

The ground was bone dry not that long ago during the Easterly event. The roads here were white it was that dry.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The ground was bone dry not that long ago during the Easterly event. The roads here were white it was that dry.
    Maybe where you are, but certainly not in the southeast, which is one of the wetter parts of the country.

Maybe where you are, but certainly not in the southeast, which is one of the wetter parts of the country.

2020 was the 2nd wettest year in my stations records in Arklow
    Still raining today as I type
    Raining all day
    Land is slop

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

My garden hasn't dried out for 6 months at this stage. Where exactly was the ground "bone dry" recently?

Further to the above,not that its an awful surprise, the Davis weatherlink is telling me that in the last 6 days and 11 hours,there hasn't been a full 24hr period here without rain being recorded (at least two spoon tips in the bucket)

namloc1980 wrote: »
    My garden hasn't dried out for 6 months at this stage. Where exactly was the ground "bone dry" recently?

the ground in my area, in the southeast, has not been completely dry since early June last year, the deluges of june, july and especially August(129mm) have kept it wet. Dried out briefly around Sept/October but wet ever since. I remember I had to wade through like 30cm of mud to catch my horse, this was back in late August. It's impressive looking back.

A drying trend is very much needed at this stage, but from what I've heard on here that will not be happening anytime soon. It's weird to think that not too long ago, last may, there was a shortage of water.

• Advertisement

namloc1980 wrote: »

In parts of the country that had three dry days with a brisk Easterly wind. The land dried out very well in the west and north west

Advertisement