Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Could feel the sun on skin from my back garden....just!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snow only on high ground in Mets update for Wednesday. Makes more sense. Consensus is for mild to dominate the next 2 weeks ....... mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

In St Anne's park right now sun blazing, felt great to jog in what feels like warm weather relatively speaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just back from the park. It was brilliant to be outdoors all day and not feel cold!

Playground was packed so we didn't stay there long, we were happy enough making up our own adventures and having a picnic.

It is still muddy out there but not as flooded anymore.

Hope tomorrow is nice again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Well that was a perfect day after the rain cleared, was actually out clearing ditches for water in my t-shirt at one stage during the afternoon, grand bit of sun, long may it last.....i'll give it a day before the atlantic rain bulls through again

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

plenty of people out walking today here too and everyone back outside enjoying the mild weather and from the looks of the models we have several weeks of mild weather on the way with temperatures generally in the low to mid teens and an increasing dry signal along with it. Unless there is a sudden change in the models winter is well and truly over in terms of cold between now and 1st of March.

Much of Europe is going to be in a similar pattern except for the far north, far east and down into Greece and Turkey appear to be very cold over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Notable this Winter how we had hardly any attack from the Northwest. I can't remember one decent Northwesterly which is unusual.
    It has been cold though, I've had to have heating on throughout.
    Will we get one last chance this season?
    If we do it looks like early March at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 10,080 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Squally band of rain crossing the country now. gusty just ahead of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Gonzo wrote: »
    plenty of people out walking today here too and everyone back outside enjoying the mild weather and from the looks of the models we have several weeks of mild weather on the way with temperatures generally in the low to mid teens and an increasing dry signal along with it. Unless there is a sudden change in the models winter is well and truly over in terms of cold between now and 1st of March.

Much of Europe is going to be in a similar pattern except for the far north, far east and down into Greece and Turkey appear to be very cold over the next few weeks.

If there is going to be another cold spell it had better be come and gone before St Patrick`s Day. As far as I`m concerned any cold weather that has a notion of paying us a visit on or after that date can piss off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Notable this Winter how we had hardly any attack from the Northwest. I can't remember one decent Northwesterly which is unusual.
    It has been cold though, I've had to have heating on throughout.
    Will we get one last chance this season?
    If we do it looks like early March at the earliest

Plenty of attacks from the Northeast though ;)

11pm

Mace head gusting 52 knots (96km/h)
    Belmullet 46 knots
    Valentia 42 knots.

Winds going around to the SW in the next hour or so and increasing in western parts of Galway,Mayo Sligo and Donegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

'The winter it has passed
    And the summer’s come at last
    The small birds are singing in the trees
    And their little hearts are glad
    Ah, but mine is very sad
    Since my true love is far away from me'

;)

Arduach wrote: »
    'The winter it has passed
    And the summer’s come at last
    The small birds are singing in the trees
    And their little hearts are glad
    Ah, but mine is very sad
    Since my true love is far away from me'

;)

divorce is a bastard :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭snowgal

Just had the windiest wind here near Trim that I’ve experienced in the past year or two! From nowhere it appeared! No jokes to follow please!

Midnight
    Belmullet gusting 64 knots (119 km/h)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Thought we were in to a mild week, but does not look like it?

This from Met E this morning....

On Wednesday night, heavy rain will spread northeastwards over Ireland with a risk of flooding and some sleet or snow in places, mainly on high ground.

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Thought we were in to a mild week, but does not look like it?

This from Met E this morning....

On Wednesday night, heavy rain will spread northeastwards over Ireland with a risk of flooding and some sleet or snow in places, mainly on high ground.

Yeah they mentioned that last night on the TV forecasts
    It won't be happening
    BBC NI forecasts just have rain
    I'll be surprised if its still mentioned tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

12 million people in Texas without power due to severe cold weather. Continuous snow right down to Galveston. They even got thunder mixed in.

Tens of cm of snow up around and Austin.

543802.jpg

543803.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭Comhrá

divorce is a bastard :)

or a blessing...diff strokes etc. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Many thanks. I have friends there and was about to email telling them now bad it is here! I will commiserate instead.

Only just got my internet back; vanished in that long stormy night out ere but God bless Westnet.. I called in half an hour ago...

Ear plugs saved me from a horrendously noisy night. Still raging now out here but less than it was, and cold. bitterly cold

Hoping we can get the shopping in on Thursday but I am doing well with my "pantry stores". I could last longer without hardship. My good neighbour is keeping me supplied with turf so all is well.

A wild night again here in Mayo with lots of power gone. On the plus side the rain bands are moving through at night leaving the day time nice and bright

A wild night again here in Mayo with lots of power gone. On the plus side the rain bands are moving through at night leaving the day time nice and bright

My internet is coming and going; they are Castlebar based. And very cold winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Snowing in Texas, snowing in Athens.

I didn't see any snow last week so a little disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Status Yellow - Wind warning for Donegal, Galway and Mayo
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Southwesterly winds tonight will reach mean speeds of 50 to 65km/h and gusts of 80 to 100km/h, highest in coastal areas. Where winds are onshore there is a risk of coastal flooding around high tide.

Valid: 00:00 Wednesday 17/02/2021 to 08:00 Wednesday 17/02/2021

Issued: 11:00 Tuesday 16/02/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Lucreto wrote: »
    Hardly surprising, one of the consequences of climate change seems to be winters becoming more severe in N.America and not warmer like our part of the world.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Lucreto wrote: »

I didn't see any snow last week so a little disappointed.

Nearly every winter we read about snow in Athens, they probably get decent snow once or twice most winters which is alot more than Dublin! Dublin is lucky to get a dusting most winters. Dublin probably see's snow fall out of the sky more than Athens but it rarely sticks or stays on the ground to be seen because of very transitional dustings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bosco12345

Is it just me or does north America often get record breaking cold or near record breaking cold? When was the last time Europe had or had near record breaking cold?

Advertisement