Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Interesting that Western Europe was also in the freezer during February 1895 like Texas was.
    It couldn't happen now, there is no way both sides of the Atlantic could have simultaneous severe cold spells in our present climate. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Interesting that Western Europe was also in the freezer during February 1895 like Texas was.
    It couldn't happen now, there is no way both sides of the Atlantic could have simultaneous severe cold spells in our present climate. :(

Never say never . We live in unusual times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does north America often get record breaking cold or near record breaking cold? When was the last time Europe had or had near record breaking cold?

The Cold War?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A beautiful afternoon here in Castlebar . Sunny with just a light breeze

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

bosco12345 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does north America often get record breaking cold or near record breaking cold? When was the last time Europe had or had near record breaking cold?

North America has a direct unabated connection to the far arctic, so cold air can travel for thousands of miles south without being moderated. It's not reasonable to compare our climate with theirs.

It is worth noting that their climate is not consistently cold like Scandinavia. The Plains and East Coast often have wild swings from warm to cold multiple times a winter. Even Maine can warm up to 15c or so in the middle of December.

https://en.tutiempo.net/climate/01-2020/ws-727033.html

Which actually reminds me of the cold zonality we get here, where it can flicker between snow and mild a few times on one week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

Absolutely beautiful afternoon here in NCD.

The birds were all singing their hearts out and lovely to see all daffodils in park getting ready to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I'm yet to see a daffodil. Hopefully they are freezing their bulbs off over the next couple of weeks.

The grass is still brown here too. Not convinced we are done with the snow and cold, could be cold again before two weeks is up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

Beautiful day in Leitrim. Sunshine and blue skies. First daffodils in bloom. Springtime..... bring it on. Grass starting to dry out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

It’s bloody cold in that breeze :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Sleet and snow likely in parts of the west and northwest overnight tomorrow night. Might give a couple of cm's inland Connaught, west Ulster by morning. Rain for the rest of us.

lol i'm expecting wet snow at best. And I think even that will be a push, unless the evaporative cooling is intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A real sense of spring in the air over the past few days, still chilly but the days have a brightness now that you just don't get in December or January. I guess with the sun being that much higher in the sky again

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

still brightness in the sky at 6pm, it only seemed like a few weeks ago it was getting dark just after 4. The stretch in the evenings is really noticeable since the mild weather has come back because we actually have the sun shining at times and blue skies which we haven't seen in such a long time!.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭esposito

I see Athens has got its heaviest snowfall in a decade. Again Greece getting a snowy period. Seems to be an annual thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Don’t think I’ve heard rain as heavy in a long time - absolutely beating against the window here!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

heavy thundery bursts west of Killarney now. few strikes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The weather for the rest of the week is not as bad as it looks...alot of the rain seems to be coming during the nights...if only we could get all our rain like this

The showers coming in for tonight look fairly heavy on the radar...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,826 ✭✭✭appledrop

Gonzo wrote: »
    still brightness in the sky at 6pm, it only seemed like a few weeks ago it was getting dark just after 4. The stretch in the evenings is really noticeable since the mild weather has come back because we actually have the sun shining at times and blue skies which we haven't seen in such a long time!.

Gonzo I thought the same this evening you could still see slight blue tinge at 6pm.

The sky was so stunning in NCD this afternoon with only slight wispy clouds. Had me dreaming that we could get a great spring again but doubt we will be that lucky again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

And could you imagine how great it would be if we were in Irish Standard Time all year round! We'd already have usable daylight until about 7pm and I could've done some pre-spring gardening after work today and yesterday but there was no point with the current setup as sunset was very shortly after I finished work.

Clocks should go forward end of February/early March. Dunno why we wait until the end of March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Spherics recorded off the coast of Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

A real sense of spring in the air over the past few days, still chilly but the days have a brightness now that you just don't get in December or January. I guess with the sun being that much higher in the sky again

My grandmother used to call days like this in February a 'pet day'.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Turning into a blustery night now in Kildare. 9°

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Wind wilding, rain ravaged. Deafening squalls on the windows. Bitter chill. Shiver me timbers and shiver everything else. Using ear plugs to sleep..

We are way behind you you where eg daffodils are involved, I will check later anyways.

But spring will come! It always does.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

highdef wrote: »
    And could you imagine how great it would be if we were in Irish Standard Time all year round! We'd already have usable daylight until about 7pm and I could've done some pre-spring gardening after work today and yesterday but there was no point with the current setup as sunset was very shortly after I finished work.

Ugh, no thanks, the mornings would be dark until nearly 10am, if we have to change then it should be winter time all year round or as the older people called it 'old time'.
    Personally I like the dark days of winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭highdef

Pangea wrote: »
    Ugh, no thanks, the mornings would be dark until 10am, if we have to change then it should be winter time all year round or as the older people called it 'old time'.
    Personally I like the dark days of winter.
    It's all down to personal preference and various Irish polls that have been carried out have resulted in far higher support for all round Irish Standard Time versus Winter Time.

It's mid February now. It's just gone 07:30. The light outside is usable. However, at a personal level I have very little requirement for daylight before my working day. I don't do any DIY or painting or gardening before work as I'd have to get up at about 5/6am in order to get enough work done and to clean up afterwards to justify it. Much better to do all that work after work, in any case.... For me anyway.

I often go for a short walk (20/30 minutes) before work. Whether it's in brightness or darkness does not bother me..... High Viz and torch if it's dark, no torch if it's not dark. The morning walk is more a requirement for the dog rather than a leisure activity for me.

But to be able to get out gardening after work (from about 17:30/18:00) from early February onwards Monday to Friday, when weather permits, would be a godsend. That's two extra full month's of possible outdoor work that can be done in a year.

Then there's that absolutely horrible feeling of being thrown into the depths of winter when the clocks change in October. All of a sudden, it's dark all too early.

• Advertisement

This is why we should end wintertime now (mid feb). The sunrise would be at 8:40, like Jan, but getting earlier mich more rapidly. And there would be some brightness until 7.

All year summertime would have 9:40 jan sunrise in Dublin, later in the west. Still the better solution though if there’s one time all year.

Advertisement