Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Billcarson wrote: »
    But before ww1 was standard time not winter time in Ireland, like most places?

It was, yes. But it isn't now. What was the case over a half century ago is not relevant to the point at hand currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

highdef wrote: »
    My sister in law swims at Portmarnock beach every morning at sunrise. She sometimes sends me some photos or video. Just checked some recent ones where it's not cloudy and I've a video from the 9th and 28th of January. In both, the sun has just come up over the horizon and the skies are clear all the way from horizon to the viewpoint looking east so your question is answered...... That bank of cloud is not always there in the morning.

Ok then, frequently it's there. This picture was taken about 35 mins before sunrise. I have another similar picture from October at 06:58am.

Screenshot-2021-02-17-at-19-54-21.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,454 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

What planet is that roughly a quarter of the way down from the moon?

Anyone know?

What planet is that roughly a quarter of the way down from the moon?

Anyone know?

It was Venus at the time.

Billcarson wrote: »
    But before ww1 was standard time not winter time in Ireland, like most places?

It changed in 1968 or so. Irish time wasn’t British time before 1916 anyway. Dublin mean time was the Irish standard - about 25 mins behind.

In fact a half hour later would be a compromise between the two camps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

re the cloud photo looking east.

The marine layer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_layer

zisdead wrote: »
    re the cloud photo looking east.

The marine layer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_layer

Thank you , that was exactly what I was looking for.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Still pouring here in Kerry, just gone over 25mm now, most from this evening.

lastradar_uk_hjl6.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Horrible evening in meath after a lovely day of sunshine, rain just pelting off the roof now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Blustery conditions here now, i expect it'll be a very windy few hours for east Leinster before the surface front clears around 4am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Wind picked up the last hour here in Wicklow. Nothing crazy but making itself known

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A sudden wild spell out here after a calm and blissfully quiet night

The mighty ocean is roaring and crashing rocks around on the nearby shore. Lovely, primeval music. old as time itself and deeply comforting,

West Mayo offshore

Pangea wrote: »
    Studies show that extra daylight in the morning is more important for overall wellbeing than the evening, a natural way to start the day. The summer nights here can be after 11 before it gets dark , an hour shaved off that would suit me. It will be interesting to see what happens, ultimately I think we will stick with the UKs time zone.

As I've said, the subject is very much a personal preference thing. Whilst studies have shown what you have mentioned, the vast majority of the Irish public decided otherwise in polls.

Personally, I MUCH prefer daylight later in the day than early. If I was asked that in the depths of winter, I had a choice of sun above the horizon between 11:00 and 19:00 (or thereabouts, depending on the exact month) or 08:00 and 16:00 with corresponding summer times of between 07:00 and 23:00 or 04:00 and 20:00, I would without any doubt whatsoever pick the former in both cases.

As I have said, that is MY personal preference. Everyone is an individual and nobody is right or wrong with their decisions but ultimately, we live in a democratic country and a decision like this would be one that would need to be chosen by the public.

Agreed though about your comment that ultimately, the British monarch led non-EU empire will most likely be what determines the choice made by the Irish republic, as silly as that is.......when we should really be trying to synchronise with our fellow EU state members!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I've always loved dark winter evenings I have to say. We get enough evening daylight for pretty much the rest of the year.

I agree with others that leaving summer time untouched wouldn't be a good thing, especially for us in the west/northwest when often on dark rainy mornings does not get bright till almost, and sometimes beyond 9am, will have to wait instead until 10am so see a bit of light. People at work and kids in school need a bit of daylight to wake them up. And anyway, what good will an extra hour of daylight be in the evening in winter anyway? the weather is still going to be, more often than not, pretty crap.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Serious rain last night. Ground is saturated, again. Leitrim.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

after a horrible wet and windy night the ground is starting to get saturated again. Plenty more Atlantic muck to come over next two weeks as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,066 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Mostly dry here in Castlebar today with good spells of sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Gonzo wrote: »
    after a horrible wet and windy night the ground is starting to get saturated again. Plenty more Atlantic muck to come over next two weeks as well.
    Carlow Weather says there is a possibiity of a settled period next week but despite him being the best of the bunch I'm not holding my breath. The puddles are all back in the fields in South Kildare again. I'm strongly thinking of shopping for a wetsuit and boat online because of the way things are going.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

highdef wrote: »
    As I've said, the subject is very much a personal preference thing. Whilst studies have shown what you have mentioned, the vast majority of the Irish public decided otherwise in polls.

Personally, I MUCH prefer daylight later in the day than early. If I was asked that in the depths of winter, I had a choice of sun above the horizon between 11:00 and 19:00 (or thereabouts, depending on the exact month) or 08:00 and 16:00 with corresponding summer times of between 07:00 and 23:00 or 04:00 and 20:00, I would without any doubt whatsoever pick the former in both cases.

As I have said, that is MY personal preference. Everyone is an individual and nobody is right or wrong with their decisions but ultimately, we live in a democratic country and a decision like this would be one that would need to be chosen by the public.

Agreed though about your comment that ultimately, the British monarch led non-EU empire will most likely be what determines the choice made by the Irish republic, as silly as that is.......when we should really be trying to synchronise with our fellow EU state members!

You can “synchronise” with your “fellow” EU state members. However, the reality is that you are WEST of Great Britain and are not connected to the European Mainland in terms of solar noon times. That is a geographical fact.

It makes much more sense to align with GB’s time zone if not use a timezone an hour earlier. As that is this islands natural position, not CET. It is not “silly” to have the same timezone as GB. It IS stupid and inane to have the same timezone as Germany, France, Switzerland due to wanting to do the opposite of GB for political motivations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Any weather talk in here or just clocks?

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I've always loved dark winter evenings I have to say. We get enough evening daylight for pretty much the rest of the year.

I agree with others that leaving summer time untouched wouldn't be a good thing, especially for us in the west/northwest when often on dark rainy mornings does not get bright till almost, and sometimes beyond 9am, will have to wait instead until 10am so see a bit of light. People at work and kids in school need a bit of daylight to wake them up. And anyway, what good will an extra hour of daylight be in the evening in winter anyway? the weather is still going to be, more often than not, pretty crap.

The best solution is to extend summer time to November and start it in early March. We just can’t have CET year round.

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    You can “synchronise” with your “fellow” EU state members. However, the reality is that you are WEST of Great Britain and are not connected to the European Mainland in terms of solar noon times. That is a geographical fact.

It makes much more sense to align with GB’s time zone if not use a timezone an hour earlier. As that is this islands natural position, not CET. It is not “silly” to have the same timezone as GB. It IS stupid and inane to have the same timezone as Germany, France, Switzerland due to wanting to do the opposite of GB for political motivations.

Spain do it and western Spain has the same longitude as Ireland.

Of course they get ten hours sunlight in winter so the sunrise is not so late. The benefit is late sunsets in summer, same as here in many cases, with shorter days, so later sunrises ~ 7 am.

Wouldn’t recommend European time here though.

Spain do it and western Spain has the same longitude as Ireland.

Of course they get ten hours sunlight in winter so the sunrise is not so late. The benefit is late sunsets in summer, same as here in many cases, with shorter days, so later sunrises ~ 7 am.

Wouldn’t recommend European time here though.

Good for them. I still think the best approach is to lengthen DST.

I'm as guilty as going as off-topic as anyone else here so I would suggest that if anyone here wants to continue talking about clocks changing, we should do so here...... Page 1: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057906815 Most recent page:https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057906815&page=34 and we can get back to talking about the winter season in this chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Plenty of blue sky and sun in Dublin today, pretty windy but the sun feels so good on my face it almost has me drooling...
    Going to park soon when I finish up work to soak some more up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

Another lovely, yet cool day. Dry after last night's rain and some blue sky. Plenty done outside and to be honest the best 4 or so days of weather this year.
    All change tomorrow I believe.

South Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A quietening day and a peaceful evening. All very healing and appreciated after the high volume and violent week it has been.

West mayo offshore

6:04pm and full on daylight still!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

We have been very lucky in Dublin this week.

Blue skies all week it has just been brilliant.

We got out for another trip to park this evening, it was good to go later as only time playground is relatively quite.

My son has had a great week, and I have a large pile of mucky clothes to prove it!

Advertisement