Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

An idiotic policy, can't believe there are people still suggesting this.

I don't want covid, I don't know anyone else who wants it either. Maybe you do but it's bizarre if you do
    . We need to stop the virus spread, minimise the number of people getting this potentially deadly virus with unknown long term consequences even for those who are not very sick with the virus itself.

Honestly, "let it spread" what is going on in people's heads.

Ive no issue getting it.

Wont know I have it quite likely, will have to be told I have it.

Then I can be part of those numbers on the news.

Then I will be a Covid survivor like that pillar of democracy Ryan Tubridy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What's your plan if the hospitals are overrun?

Our hospitals are constantly overrun and few give a toss when people were dying on hospital trolleys, but now we all suddenly have to be concerned about it!!!!

AdamD wrote: »
    Mental

A) May not be true.

B) May not have any.

Because I have had minimal contact with people outside of my family, I also have vulnerable family members who I have contact with so if I got it they would at best be very very sick or worse. I have not gone to a restaurant or pub, I have not met a single friend since early march etc

I have also had a test (mandatory for medial procedure I was having I didn't have symptoms) which would have shown up if I had any sign of it in my system for the previous weeks and prior to that I really was having almost no interaction with anyone outside the house.

I also use the tracker and have not shown as a close contact or I have no been contact traced to any confirmed case.

I suppose you'd have to have a friend to meet a friend eh NOX. You have family members who are vulnerable because they have to suffer your PHD stories at Xmas, they're probably putting up Covid-19 stay away buntings when they see you coming over, very sick of listening to you maybe. you had a personality test and it came back negative. the only tracker you use is for the women on campus you once tagged for sport,:D

but you're some craic I tell ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Because I have had minimal contact with people outside of my family, I also have vulnerable family members who I have contact with so if I got it they would at best be very very sick or worse. I have not gone to a restaurant or pub, I have not met a single friend since early march etc

I have also had a test (mandatory for medial procedure I was having I didn't have symptoms) which would have shown up if I had any sign of it in my system for the previous weeks and prior to that I really was having almost no interaction with anyone outside the house.

I also use the tracker and have not shown as a close contact or I have no been contact traced to any confirmed case.

So you don’t know you haven’t had it. That’s all you had to say.

• Advertisement

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Our hospitals are constantly overrun and few give a toss when people were dying on hospital trolleys, but now we all suddenly have to be concerned about it!!!!

So **** it, have at it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Zebra3 wrote: »
    A) May not be true.

B) May not have any.

He has friends, they just all look, act, dress talk and think the same as him, all he has to do is put 3 mirrors in the kitchen and it's like being in the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

Ive no issue getting it.

For the vast majority of people, it is the equivalent of someone telling you your hair is sticking up at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

So **** it, have at it

At 17 cases in ICU out of 10,000 current active cases - I think we'll manage unless "Covid19 part2 - Revenge of the NPHET" is released in time for the Christmas market.
    PM me when that happens.

paw patrol wrote: »
    At 17 cases in ICU out of 10,000 current active cases - I think we'll manage unless "Covid19 part2 - Revenge of the NPHET" is released in time for the Christmas market.
    PM me when that happens.

The argument for Covid is over.

There has been 3 months barren of deaths.

In the midst of a second wave 17 in ICU which may or may not be due exclusively to Covid, the data is not available, 70 cases came from a pub in Cork though.Thats definite.

Its a nothing event at the minute, the news is dominated by a few young lads chasing young ones around the Spanish arches last night.

Despecible scenes are some of the headlines from mickey mouse journalists. All the while Larry Goodman and Séamus Wolfe continue as they were.

Its a complete abdication of common sense to be replaced by hysteric paranoia.

• Advertisement

paw patrol wrote: »
    PM me when that happens.

Alright will do. Let's hope it never happens, and you don't come down with something that requires a routine operation like appendicitis at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭AUDI20

Ive no issue getting it.

You may have no issues getting it, but you may have issues when you do get it, you just don't know how it will effect you. I know of two people who got it, both are middle forties, one had only mild symptoms will the other just survived after been in ICU for 5 weeks. both were fit men with no underlying conditions. Unfortunately you even may not even be a survivor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Alright will do. Let's hope it never happens, and you don't come down with something that requires a routine operation like appendicitis at the same time.

This is just stupid, what sort of response is that? You do know people die and get sick all the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

AUDI20 wrote: »
    You may have no issues getting it, but you may have issues when you do get it, you just don't know how it will effect you. I know of two people who got it, both are middle forties, one had only mild symptoms will the other just survived after been in ICU for 5 weeks. both were fit men with no underlying conditions. Unfortunately you even may not even be a survivor.

If anecdotes are to be believed our ICUs are peppered with fit young men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/casesinireland/epidemiologyofcovid-19inireland/COVID-19_Daily_epidemiology_report_(NPHET)_20200928%20-%20Website.pdf

Your friend admitted to ICU was one of 139 in total in that age group admitted to ICU. There have been 11,813 total confirmed cases in the 35-54 age group (obviously the actual total is likely to be much higher), meaning, at an extremely conservative estimate, your friend was in the 1.17% of that age group who needed to go to ICU.

Now that isn't to take away from his suffering but it is to dismiss your suggestion outright that "you just don't know how it will effect you", you can make a pretty informed estimate as to how you might be impacted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

June: Cases (487), Average 16.23 Cases Per Day - Deaths (87) - Death to Case % (17.86%)
    July: Cases (563), Average 18.16 Cases Per Day - Deaths (38) - Death to Case % (6.75%)
    August: Cases (2695), Average 86.93 Cases Per Day - Deaths (14) - Death to Case % (0.52%)
    September (to date): Cases (6566), Average 234.5 Cases Per Day - Deaths (25) - Death to Case % (0.38%)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

In fairness the odds are massively in your favour to survive if you are under 65 and don’t have a chronic illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

The media have been frantically searching around to find and interview people who, sadly, had a bad time and slow recovery from Covid and that's fair enough. However, I haven't seen an interview of even one of the many, many thousands who either never even noticed that they had it or saw it through with a bit of a sore throat or a runny nose.

The difference in terms of numbers must be phenomenal but don't expect NPHET to release those stats any time soon!

dubdaymo wrote: »
    The media have been frantically searching around to find and interview people who, sadly, had a bad time and slow recovery from Covid and that's fair enough. However, I haven't seen an interview of even one of the many, many thousands who either never even noticed that they had it or saw it through with a bit of a sore throat or a runny nose.

The difference in terms of numbers must be phenomenal but don't expect NPHET to release those stats any time soon!

It's not just in Ireland. I watched the BBC news last night. It was all about the huge rise in cases. It was cases, cases, cases and more cases. Right at the end of the report the newsreader more or less mumbled the number of deaths under his breath.

polesheep wrote: »
    If anecdotes are to be believed our ICUs are peppered with fit young men.

Im thinking we could host an ICU hurling championship.

The amount of fit young lads who ended up in there is nothing short of unbelievable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

My 62 year old neighbour got it two weeks off work , four months on no issues. Incedently she is the only person I know that got it. I guess it's only fit young men that end up in ICU not being smart but that is certainly the impression I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Penfailed

dubdaymo wrote: »

I'd be extremely surprised if the media interviewed someone with no/minor symptoms. It's a non-story.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

Penfailed wrote: »
    I'd be extremely surprised if the media interviewed someone with no/minor symptoms. It's a non-story.

Well then when they interview somebody with issues, they should inform the public of the data.

Balanced reporting.

Point out that the interviewee is one of 99% and we've been witnessing a cover up and it becomes the biggest story of the year.

Point out that the interviewee is one of 99% and we've been witnessing a cover up and it becomes the biggest story of the year.

It's not yet clear what the data is on people suffering from 'long Covid'.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

It's not yet clear what the data is on people suffering from 'long Covid'.

And it's not yet clear if the universe will stop expanding, therefore nobody claims that it will. There is no evidence for 'long covid'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

There's a huge difference between the public perception of the mortality rate of the virus and the actual rate.

In the poor city of Manaus in Brazil the virus went through the population fairly quickly with an estimated 66% catching the virus. The rapidly falling infection rates are believed to be due to the widespread immunity in that region.

https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/09/22/1008709/brazil-manaus-covid-coronavirus-herd-immunity-pandemic/

The interesting thing here is that the overall death rate from catching the virus there is 0.28% or 0.18% of the overall population.

Contrast this with surveys in developed countries such as in the UK where people believe that 7% of the population have already died from the virus or the US where people believe 9% have died. These beliefs are out by a factor of 38 times and 48 times respectively.

And it's not yet clear if the universe will stop expanding, therefore nobody claims that it will. There is no evidence for 'long covid'.

...apart from all those stories that you are hearing about in the media?

...apart from all those stories that you are hearing about in the media?

I'll wait for the peer reviewed data, thanks.

• Advertisement

This is just stupid, what sort of response is that? You do know people die and get sick all the time?

Not sure what you're confused about that warranted such a snarky response.

If the hospitals are overrun, even more people will die of routine illnesses that would otherwise be easily avoided. Such as your appendix bursting.

Are you stupid/thick/curtain twitcher/granny killer etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement