Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part V - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

I couldn't care less what the youth do, Covid has allowed me to get on with a higher quality of life.

I fear for other people though.

Those two sentences in bold are not compatible. As for Covid bringing you a higher quality of life, no offence, but I think you really need to do some deep thinking about where your life is at.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Doesn't mean lockdown but it also doesn't mean we behave like we don't care which we are right now

Speak for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Considering it takes up to six months to get a verdict on suicide, we are still in Sept. Virus is only here around 6 months

Sadly i went through it

No figures have been released whatsoever for suicide deaths for 2020. None.

You’re talking nonsense. They’ve even suppressed the self harm database that used to be online and up to date.

Please refrain from making up “facts”. It adds nothing to the conversation

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I really should stop listening to the radio in the morning.

- next 2 weeks are critical
    - more counties being threatened with lockdown
    - rolling restrictions for at least the next 6 months (with notifications from the Indo and IT to reinforce it)
    - selective statistics from hospitals
    - another interview with the small number of people who suffer after effects of infection
    - businesses under threat

^^^ This!

I think this is the last resort when the Government and NPHT know they are losing the battle, especially with younger people. TWICE yesterday Covid survivors were pulled out of their recuperation to be interviewed live on TV for everyone to see. One was a woman of 33 who cant run 5 times a week like she used to, and that man I think was in his 40's. This is fear mongering of the highest order.
    People also get this sick from flu every single year, they are left with long lasting effects like brain fog and muscle weakness. There are SO few of these people yet RTE and Newstalk find them and drag them out to make examples of them.

When people are terminally ill from cancer they also can't walk, they also get breathless, they also die (the above Covid people will eventually recover).

I was at Yoga yesterday and my teacher was upset. She said her brother has been diagnosed with terminal cancer this week, he got his symptoms in March and was afraid to go to the doctor :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭prunudo

I see the us vs them attitude is alive and well, exactly what the government want, deflect from the neglect of the health service. At the start they tried to blame the young children for spreading this, don't bring kids to the supermarket etc. Now they've switched it to blaming the young adults, using the 'they're old enough to know better' tactic.
    But how could you blame them for getting on with their lives, we've been told for months that by and large it only effects older and frail people.
    And let's not forget, we are being told we are at a very critical point because of 18 people in icu with covid. 18 people out of population of 5m. Around this time every year we're told there's a crisis in the health sector, difference this year is management can control the population to make sure they don't look bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

I was at Yoga yesterday and my teacher was upset. She said her brother has been diagnosed with terminal cancer this week, he got his symptoms in March and was afraid to go to the doctor :(

Oh chríst above that's so sad. Have had one or two scares like that and always was afraid but eventually did go to the doctor. That's a nightmare :(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

She said her brother has been diagnosed with terminal cancer this week, he got his symptoms in March and was afraid to go to the doctor :(

And thats the governments fault?

Unfortunately men often dont get check ups often enough for years before covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,290 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Isnt it bizzare whats happening.

People are referring to youths out and about, their life was on hold for 6 months plus and with no end in sight they have taken it on themselves to start living again.

Doesnt suit some seemingly, didnt realise some of us were born at 60 years of age

^^^ This!

I think this is the last resort when the Government and NPHT know they are losing the battle, especially with younger people. TWICE yesterday Covid survivors were pulled out of their recuperation to be interviewed live on TV for everyone to see. One was a woman of 33 who cant run 5 times a week like she used to, and that man I think was in his 40's. This is fear mongering of the highest order.
    People also get this sick from flu every single year, they are left with long lasting effects like brain fog and muscle weakness. There are SO few of these people yet RTE and Newstalk find them and drag them out to make examples of them.

When people are terminally ill from cancer they also can't walk, they also get breathless, they also die (the above Covid people will eventually recover).

Ah thats terrible.

Im sure some sociopath will blame that guy for not diagnosing himself while cancer screening was stopped.

pjohnson wrote: »

P thats is disgusting.

You know full well cancer screening was halted.

I cant believe the attitude of blaming the victim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Then enjoy that certain businesses wont be able to open, you will cause businesses to collapse.

Maybe when the rates and mortgage breaks stop, people may have to grow up and focus on more than house parties.

Eventually people are going to open up. There are currently no laws forcing anyone to keep closed.
    Most pub licenses are renewed this month. If I own a pub that’s going under I’d be reopening as soon as I have my shiny new licence, and I’d be packed. Might as well make some money before my business is destroyed by our incompetent government. Are they going to ban all pubs? Force them all to close? Get the army in to enforce closures??

its not the Government's fault that this man got cancer. But the Governments message from DAY 1 in March was stay at home, don't go to the doctor, GP's were on air saying DON'T come to the surgery, ring us instead, don't turn up in A&E !!
    In March this man's symptoms were persistent back ache and a burning feeling in his stomach. That's it. It could have been a dozen different things. If you are being told every single day on every bloody Ad break "Don't go to the doctor, ring instead , we are in the middle of a Pandemic" etc etc, then you wont go!
    He treated himself with Gaviscon.

He finally went in July as soon as things opened up in hospitals, got scanned, got the news it was cancer. At that stage they thought it was treatable. Scans this week said it has spread everywhere. Too late. This is not directly the Government's fault and you are being pedantic if that is your only argument! But if there was no Covid, no Government messages to STAY AT HOME in March, this man would not be terminallly ill now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Really so the pubs and restaurants in Dublin are currently booming? Thats news to me. Really goes against the narrative of the supposed economic ruin that is so prevalent in this thread.

Can you point out where me or anyone for that matter said pubs were booming?

The fact is the hospitality industry along with several other industries is on its knees, and what little money is being made is almost exclusively coming from the young! That little money may be the difference between a pub or restaurant riding this out a few more weeks or closing it’s doors for good!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,463 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

P thats is disgusting.

I wouldn't reply to him. This is a guy who'd have the gardai freely come into your house and arrest you for having 4 mates over.

polesheep wrote: »
    From what you deem to be right, you mean. The tail has wagged the dog for long enough. As is always the case, it's young people that are bringing change and good luck to them.

The only change they are brining is changing our virus numbers upwards, changing us from level 2 to level 3 and very likely changing the law to enable the guards to hit these idiots much much harder.

Listening to local radio in Galway this morning its clear to hear but the presenter is also highlighting that in his decades on the radio he has never had such a reaction to anything before as to the student idiots last night, there is massive anger among the people, the phones are jammed and messages system inundated.

Massive calls for the army to get out on the streets also and put manners on these total pigs who can't do what they are told and stay at home. NUIG have also said expulsions are planned for anyone caught breaching the regulations.

These idiots should be at home in their home houses around the country not in Galway and definitely not out on the streets drinking or going to house parties.
    Young people aren’t doing any economic damage. Our government is doing all the damage

You and clueless, selfish idiots who do what you do including these students last night are directly to blame for jobs losses and restrictions. You are to blame you!!! The sooner that sinks in the sooner we might see an actual route to ending restrictions.
    Those two sentences in bold are not compatible. As for Covid bringing you a higher quality of life, no offence, but I think you really need to do some deep thinking about where your life is at.

It has been clearly stated by many that lockdown was a positive period of time for many people, myself included so there is no need for "deep thinking".

its not the Government's fault that this man got cancer. But the Governments message from DAY 1 in March was stay at home, don't go to the doctor, GP's were on air saying DON'T come to the surgery, ring us instead, don't turn up in A&E !! .

That is not true, they were saying the exact opposite! They were begging people to go to their doctor or go to A&E if they needed. NEPHET were saying it many nights in their briefing that they were very concerned at how quiet A&E was and how people need to go and get checked if needed.

This was further highlighted when Tony Holohan had to go to A&E himself and the next day really begged people to not be afraid to get checked and to go to doctors or hospital if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

P thats is disgusting.

Screening programmes for the "well", like bowel and breast check was halted. Healthcare for those that presented with symptoms was not stopped.

I remember Tony Holohan saying that people should not postpone healthcare, that he was in A&E and it was unusually quiet. In fact he urged people who needed to see a doctor for non covid illness to see one.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Can you point out where me or anyone for that matter said pubs were booming?

The fact is the hospitality industry along with several other industries is on its knees, and what little money is being made is almost exclusively coming from the young! That little money may be the difference between a pub or restaurant riding this out a few more weeks or closing it’s doors for good!

To be fair, out my way in North Kildare last Saturday night you couldn't get a booking into any of the local pubs or restaurants from about 2pm onward. They were all booked up for the evening.

Good to see I guess......I'm just worried what this will mean for cases in Kildare in 2/3 weeks.

UK scientists forecast up to 35,000 excess cancer deaths within a year due to the pause in cancer treatment. It’s an insane number but COVID deaths are all that matter these days

UK scientists forecast up to 35,000 excess cancer deaths within a year due to the pause in cancer treatment. It’s an insane number but COVID deaths are all that matter these days

It's a real tragedy, heartbreaking. What do you propose those in charge do?

• Advertisement

I really should stop listening to the radio in the morning.

- next 2 weeks are critical
    - more counties being threatened with lockdown
    - rolling restrictions for at least the next 6 months (with notifications from the Indo and IT to reinforce it)
    - selective statistics from hospitals
    - another interview with the small number of people who suffer after effects of infection
    - businesses under threat

.. And that's only in an hour! It's no wonder many are terrified of this virus. You'd think it was a flesh eating bacteria from all this, not the non-issue it is for 95% of the population.

You absolutely should take a break from the news. You're gonna develop an underlying condition.

The only change they are brining is changing our virus numbers upwards, changing us from level 2 to level 3 and very likely changing the law to enable the guards to hit these idiots much much harder.

Listening to local radio in Galway this morning its clear to hear but the presenter is also highlighting that in his decades on the radio he has never had such a reaction to anything before as to the student idiots last night, there is massive anger among the people, the phones are jammed and messages system inundated.

Massive calls for the army to get out on the streets also and put manners on these total pigs who can't do what they are told and stay at home. NUIG have also said expulsions are planned for anyone caught breaching the regulations.

These idiots should be at home in their home houses around the country not in Galway and definitely not out on the streets drinking or going to house parties.

You and clueless, selfish idiots who do what you do including these students last night are directly to blame for jobs losses and restrictions. You are to blame you!!! The sooner that sinks in the sooner we might see an actual route to ending restrictions.

It has been clearly stated by many that lockdown was a positive period of time for many people, myself included so there is no need for "deep thinking".

On the contrary, you would have to be a damaged person to have seen lockdown as a positive time.

Screening programmes for the "well", like bowel and breast check was halted. Healthcare for those that presented with symptoms was not stopped.

I remember Tony Holohan saying that people should not postpone healthcare, that he was in A&E and it was unusually quiet. In fact he urged people who needed to see a doctor for non covid illness to see one.

He should have passed that message on to the doctors who weren't seeing patients. And screening is aimed at discovering those who are NOT well although they might believe they are. You obviously don't understand screening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I was just coming here to post about that disgraceful behaviour and say how it clearly shows level 3 or more is needed to curb these idiotic gatherings.

Every single person in the group is a moron, brain dead fools. Should all be expelled from their university. Not even an ounce of respect for the fact we are in the middle of a pandemic, can’t believe I’ve come in here to find someone defending it people really have lost the plot.

About 10 different people have WhatsApp’d me that pic and commenting how is an absolute disgrace. We need to give the guards power to hit these financially and the universities need to kick them out.m

The anti restriction posters really are blind and deaf to the situation we are in, pure selfish and don’t give a damn really that we simply should not be mixing with other people at all or they simply don’t understand how serious this virus is.

Wow. You are one of the most self righteous sanctimonious posters I’ve ever seen on Boards. Tripping over yourself in a frenzy to show how caring of other people you are. You couldn’t care less about anyone or anything but yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Wow. You are one of the most self righteous sanctimonious posters I’ve ever seen on Boards. Tripping over yourself in a frenzy to show how caring of other people you are. You couldn’t care less about anyone or anything but yourself.

Personally I think they're Trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

From the Indo..

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/rolling-lockdowns-a-way-of-life-for-up-to-nine-months-as-more-counties-suffer-rise-in-covid-19-cases-39571393.html

There you have it folks. Our unelected, out-of-his-depth, medical overlord has no interest in getting the country back to normal, and is so suffering from tunnel vision that he can't see any alternative to the current hugely damaging "strategy", pinning all his efforts on a vaccine that may not arrive for years if at all.

And this is the guy advising a weak fractured Government that is so poor it has Eamon Ryan as a minister :rolleyes: so no leadership or real pushback expected there!

How long before we start seeing Irish Water-style mass protests I wonder, because I think what we've seen already will only increase as the financial, social and mental health impacts get worse over the next few months

And just what the heck has whether Glynn is elected or not got to do with anything ? I mean seriously, wtf.
    Who are posters on here to say he's out of his depth, just because they don't like what's going on ?
    Anyone with even half a brain knows we can't go back to normal anytime soon, the fact that he has to point this out says more about some people than him IMO.
    I really do think we're showing that we're a collection of selfish individuals at heart rather than a society.

Edit, mind you I do agree about Ryan as minister :)

It's a real tragedy, heartbreaking. What do you propose those in charge do?

Address Covid differently.

He should have passed that message on to the doctors who weren't seeing patients. And screening is aimed at discovering those who are NOT well although they might believe they are. You obviously don't understand screening.
    My wife suffered from a serious illness (not covid) in April. She was seen to by her GP over the phone initially, then a physical consultation, then a hospital appointment. I wasn't allowed to attend with her though.

But to say healthcare wasn't available is not correct. It was available and back open by early April (I don't think it ever stopped).

Screening is for the "well" in that those that are screened would generally consider themselves not suffering from x disease and not presenting symptoms. This differs from testing for those that are suffering symptoms.

To my knowledge, only screening programmes were halted.

Address Covid differently.

Go on, outline your policy. I'm all ears.

I'm sure the HSE would like your expertise too, so don't keep all these great ideas to yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I see signs on here that we will soon be moving into the revisionist stage where people try to rewrite history.

Its a good thing really, it means we have reached the point where even the most blinkered can no longer deny the reality that Covid isn't the global killer it was made out to be. So now they need to revise history to try and justify the hysteria of the past 9 months.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement