Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

DubLad69 wrote: »
    So whats going to happen to all of your stuff?

I am a practical teacher so everything is in a store room apart from
    Students’ JC projects which are in a cabinet.
    Cabinet needs to be emptied as cabinet will be removed from class.

Storeroom will be left as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Laughable that teachers must return to classroom 2-3 weeks early, to "get rid of everything" to create more space!
    How many other professions are giving up their holidays to do work that they will never be reimbursed for?

Hard to believe that some idiotic Principals are still going with Normas directives of base classrooms....a breeding ground for all sorts not alone Covid. Local arrangements serve schools best.
    Why change thoroughly the one bit of normality a student may have ?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭hi!

jackboy wrote: »
    That is for one day.

I would be interested in hearing nurses opinions on the impact of mask wearing for extended periods.

I’m a nurse - so I’ll chime in. We’ve been wearing maskS for 12-13 hour shifts since April I believe it was. I’ve been working 39 (sometimes 48 hours a week) in a busy environment, wearing a mask and have had no ill affects other than some acne (which I get anyway it’s just a bit worse now). Are they uncomfortable? Yes. Do I like wearing them? No. But my mask protects my patients and my colleagues. We all have our part to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Anyone else have to go in to clear out their room yet? Had to do it today,.not nice.

Did it last week. I didn't find it too bad but I'm only in the school 3 years. Other teachers had 30 years of stuff built up to clear out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    Did it last week. I didn't find it too bad but I'm only in the school 3 years. Other teachers had 30 years of stuff built up to clear out!

Is the idea of moving stuff just to make more space for desks? I'm in a lab with fixed desks so I really hope I don't have to empty cabinets, it wouldn't be making more available floor space, it would just be a lot of work 🙈

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Is the idea of moving stuff just to make more space for desks? I'm in a lab with fixed desks so I really hope I don't have to empty cabinets, it wouldn't be making more available floor space, it would just be a lot of work ��

Yes pretty much. I'm also in a lab. We had two filing cabinets which are moveable but everything else was fixed bar the fume hood which we obviously need. There isn't much you can do with a lab.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

hi! wrote: »
    I’m a nurse - so I’ll chime in. We’ve been wearing maskS for 12-13 hour shifts since April I believe it was. I’ve been working 39 (sometimes 48 hours a week) in a busy environment, wearing a mask and have had no ill affects other than some acne (which I get anyway it’s just a bit worse now). Are they uncomfortable? Yes. Do I like wearing them? No. But we’ve been doing this since Covid started. Teachers need to accept this (as does everyone!). My mask protects my patients. We all have our part to play.

Teachers aren't complaining about the use of masks. We've been asking the government to make them mandatory for weeks. That poster has been trolling the thread saying they affect health without any evidence whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Just having a look at some of the answers regarding the Return to School FAQs on the ASTI page.I have the following concerns: 
    As far as possible students would remain in the classroom and teachers would move between rooms.  
    Having spoken to many teachers I find it hard to agree with some of the answers given and as it happens many teachers are not liking and are actually totally against the BASECLASSROOM IDEA.Why?:Breeding ground for disease including Covid,no aeration,no discipline,bullying between classes,no supervision between classes
    Hand washing and/or sanitising would be required when moving between classes by both teacher and students.
    Agree with the hand washing totally but the facilities do not exist.Again we have teachers being harassed back to work without any break since last March where we were pursued weekly by ETBs among others for daft paperwork /forms to be filled in weekly.NO TRUST BY EMPLOYERS!
    Easter was ruined by some idiotic stuff from the Unions,yes ,no apologies about it.Having to write up a list of stuff on Easter Sunday to try and put our point of view across when the shambles of WEARING THE GREEN JERSEY was in the news.
    Then we had the MEDIA changing the exams and then getting rid of them altogether.
    And now we are back at work 3 weeks before we are due because a shambles has once again come to pass.Its not rocket science,we follow safeguards but DEFINITELY NOT THE CRAP THAT SOME PEOPLE TELLS US.
    We saw where that got us as regards exams now we have to endure working conditions that willl MOST DEFINITELY lead to another outbreak of COVID and other diseases.
    Scant regard for Mental Wellbeing....other than ticking a few boxes here and there.
    Staff are now told to come in and rid their rooms of teaching aids built up over 20 -30 years and that ,wait for it! ...a skip has been ordered,yes a skip....not a portacabin where these resources could be stored safely.
    I ask you were there any classroom teachers at all involved in drawing up these plans.
    I can understand why many teachers  are waiting for 1st October so that they can run out the door and retire from a profession that has been downgraded beyond repair.
    Teachers are hurting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Is the idea of moving stuff just to make more space for desks? I'm in a lab with fixed desks so I really hope I don't have to empty cabinets, it wouldn't be making more available floor space, it would just be a lot of work 🙈

Yes! I am a home ec teacher so really the only cabinet I have is for storage for SEC projects.

Teachers aren't complaining about the use of masks. We've been asking the government to make them mandatory for weeks. That poster has been trolling the thread saying they affect health without any evidence whatsoever.

Apologies I’ve edited my post- I misread based on what that previous poster was saying.

• Advertisement

Ye should 100% be pushing for masks for teachers and students. The last few months I’ve seen a lot of asymptotic carriers in the hospital! I don’t see how the schools can stay open and outbreak free without them.

hi! wrote: »
    Ye should 100% be pushing for masks for teachers and students. The last few months I’ve seen a lot of asymptotic carriers in the hospital! I don’t see how the schools can stay open and outbreak free without them.

All teachers and post primary students will be recommended to wear them, not ideal language but hopefully it results in the majority wearing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭jackboy

That poster has been trolling the thread saying they affect health without any evidence whatsoever.

You are letting yourself down throwing around personal insults like that.

It is common sense that restricting the airways for extended periods of time will eventually have long term health effects. We will just have to wait and see how things pan out in the next few months. I am expecting the constant mask wearing to take a toll on the health of teachers and absenteeism to go significantly higher than for a normal winter.

If I am wrong, then great, no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

It is common sense that restricting the airways for extended periods of time will eventually have long term health effects. We will just have to wait and see how things pan out in the next few months. I am expecting the constant mask wearing to take a toll on the health of teachers and absenteeism to go significantly higher than for a normal winter.

There are many doctors out there who will be happy to tell you that masks have no ill effects on health. So you have been alredy proved wrong and as I pointed out to you, I had to wear masks for long periods in the hospital and never sufffered any ill effects.

Here is Dr. Mark O Tuathail
    https://abc7.com/doctor-in-ireland-face-masks-oxygen-levels-do-affect/6324845/

Do masks constrict airway?
    https://www.lung.org/blog/covid-masks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You’re letting yourself down peddling shite like that here.

Your airway is not restricted by wearing a mask. Although the oxygen getting to your brain might be at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Wearing a mask will create difficulties in teaching but if it's required so be it. Can you take it off occasionally in the class ? Can students ? If people finding it hard to breathe?

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Wearing a mask will create difficulties in teaching but if it's required so be it. Can you take it off occasionally in the class ? Can students ? If people finding it hard to breathe?

My colleagues and I were discussing this yesterday. If 2m is attainable (small class group spread out, teacher at the board and distanced from others) then can the masks be removed? I suppose the issue then is the safe removal and storage of masks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

If you're 2m away from the students you can take it off apparently.

I'll have mine off whilst teaching the classes to be honest. I'll be 2m away and I just don't think I'd be able to get my voice across with a mask on. I'll take the gamble.

If you're 2m away from the students you can take it off apparently.

I'll have mine off whilst teaching the classes to be honest. I'll be 2m away and I just don't think I'd be able to get my voice across with a mask on. I'll take the gamble.

I suppose the issue isn't that you're taking a gamble, you're gambling on behalf of your students. But if you're far enough away I think that's OK, that's what I'm talking about, from my board and my demo desk I'm a big distance from my students but how long can I stay up there without circulating I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I suppose the issue isn't that you're taking a gamble, you're gambling on behalf of your students. But if you're far enough away I think that's OK, that's what I'm talking about, from my board and my demo desk I'm a big distance from my students but how long can I stay up there without circulating I don't know.

I would love to know this for sure, the difference in transfer from 1m to 2m is pretty impressive but it's not zero, I'm wondering if being over 2m and using a screen angled between me and students would be enough without a mask. I've ordered a microphone too. I'm going to put perspex I think in front of my desk myself. I have a huge room thankfully with good ventilation and a desk on a plinth.

I think initially I'll just do everything, mask, 2m distance, perspex and see as research comes out what the story is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Mate, just stop. You're making a fool out of yourself.
    Increased absenteeism is going to be because of the global pandemic that's ongoing.

ECDC Dr on Sarah McInerney just said that visors were not appropriate for schools.

If people find it hard to breathe in a mask, they probably shouldn't be in closed environments like classrooms.

I would love to know this for sure, the difference in transfer from 1m to 2m is pretty impressive but it's not zero, I'm wondering if being over 2m and using a screen angled between me and students would be enough without a mask. I've ordered a microphone too. I'm going to put perspex I think in front of my desk myself. I have a huge room thankfully with good ventilation and a desk on a plinth.

I think initially I'll just do everything, mask, 2m distance, perspex and see as research comes out what the story is.

The aerosol transmission stuff that has kicked off the focus on ventilation in recent weeks is all because 2m indoors with no masks is not enough. Especially in an environment where we will be projecting our voices. There will be a mandatory mask policy in my classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

There will be a mandatory mask policy in my classroom.

And how will you enforce that?

Sure the department yesterday confirmed to a primary principal I know that they cannot ask children that they know have been abroad within 14 days to stay at home and quarantine.

Whole situation is riddled with holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Sure the department yesterday confirmed to a primary principal I know that they cannot ask children that they know have been abroad within 14 days to stay at home and quarantine.

Whole situation is riddled with holes.

And yet in other workplaces, before being allowed back on site, people have to submit a form confirming that in the last 14 days they haven't travelled abroad, haven't been in close contact with a diagnosed or suspected case pending testing, have not themselves been referred for testing or waiting a test result, etc....

But in schools, which are more congested than most other workplaces, none of this applies :rolleyes:

I don't think I can suspend reality for long enough to be able to hope it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

And yet in other workplaces, before being allowed back on site, people have to submit a form confirming that in the last 14 days they haven't travelled abroad, haven't been in close contact with a diagnosed or suspected case pending testing, have not themselves been referred for testing or waiting a test result, etc....

But in schools, which are more congested than most other workplaces, none of this applies :rolleyes:

I don't think I can suspend reality for long enough to be able to hope it all works out.

It's on our return to work form alright but think parents should have to fill one in for their children as well. Just find it very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭pandoraj09

It's on our return to work form alright but think parents should have to fill one in for their children as well. Just find it very strange.
    It wasn't on my return to work form. No mention of being abroad at all. I'm planning on wearing a visor for small classes where I can be 2m or more away from anyone else and a mask for the bigger classes. I've ordered a mic too. My issue then will be the fogging of the glasses but sure I'll cope. Still wondering what we will do if a kid comes in with no mask/refusing to wear one....Ours are great for the notes in the journal saying they have allergies/sensory issues etc etc that mean they can't wear the school jumper. I'm sure that will be extended to masks too.

Did you not read my reply? You wanted to hear from a nurse- it has no affect on health. No one I know who has been wearing them for long shifts has had ill health. I’ve been wearing them since April and have only had to take one day sick leave - as I was waiting for a swab result, not because of mask wearing.

Same as I enforce the other safety equipment that I deem necessary in my class. It's not new to Science teachers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Starkystark

It’s all a half baked plan. I’m sick at the thought of going back more than any other year. Our school has had to take in 50 more first years this year. We are crammed to capacity. Try look for a free room at anytime last year and there is nothing! Students were without any hand soap last year for weeks whilst the deputy and principal gets their offices kitted out like something you’d see in the cooperate world. It already had been alluded that they’re struggling to find funding for hand sanitisers. I am done!

Advertisement