Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭jackboy

We’re getting visors apparently. I’ll still be wearing a mask under it for my bigger classes at least based on my reading of the science

If a lot of teachers wear masks then we will see massive absenteeism in a couple of months. Wearing masks for a large part of the day is physically and mentally draining and likely health damaging. It all sounds great in theory but it won’t be sustainable for very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

jackboy wrote: »
    If a lot of teachers wear masks then we will see massive absenteeism in a couple of months. Wearing masks for a large part of the day is physically and mentally draining and likely health damaging. It all sounds great in theory but it won’t be sustainable for very long.

Doctors and nurses wear masks for 12/14 hour shifts. This has been shown repeatedly not to be true. Masks are annoying, very annoying but they are not dangerous. I was at an art class and wore one for 3 hours, had lunch outside, then another 3 hours. I forgot I was even wearing it in the end.

Doctors and nurses wear masks for 12/14 hour shifts. This has been shown repeatedly not to be true. Masks are annoying, very annoying but they are not dangerous. I was at an art class and wore one for 3 hours, had lunch outside, then another 3 hours. I forgot I was even wearing it in the end.

That is for one day.

I would be interested in hearing nurses opinions on the impact of mask wearing for extended periods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Where are you getting all this from?

That is for one day.

I would be interested in hearing nurses opinions on the impact of mask wearing for extended periods.

Any ER nurse or doctor would wear them for large parts of the day. Often 2 n95s or n99s and a visor. There are loads of studies on this. Masks are literally designed to be worn all day, by scientists, who carry out testing. The Facebook rubbish about masks was hilarious for anyone who ever worked in a lab or in a hospital. Go work in virology, microbiology or any infectious disease environment. You'll wear a mask all day not a bother. Masks are safe and they will stop the spread of aerosolized particles.

They are annoying, that is a different issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Is your principal suggesting visors alone?

The masks will make teaching more difficult for sure. Be hard to project your voice etc. but, same as you, from the research I just can't see a visor offering enough protection, for me or the kids.

I do have a demonstration desk in my lab and I'm half tempted to get a big sheet of perspex or shatterproof acetate and fix it to it so I could do demonstrations behind it without a mask, be a lot of cleaning but it might be worth it. I'd be well over 2m from the nearest student up there but I'd be worried that youd get down spray without the screen

Yeah visors alone I think. I’ve picked up a belt mic pack. Volume is good at a quick test this morning. Going to check it properly later

khalessi wrote: »
    I know one secondary school getting 7ft high perspex for the teachers desks and for voice projection maybe a voice amplifier with microphone could be useful, at least it could be worn with a mask

I know our school just won't do this. Management are not that organized. I'd be interested in doing it myself though. The microphone would be necessary I think with the perspex too, the rooms are big. I strain to be heard as is and I am certainly not quiet.

I wonder about the perspex with circulating air. The kids wearing masks certainly makes it much safer for sure. I haven't seen any good studies on air flow and those perspex box units like on shops, be interesting just to know how much protection they really offer

Any ER nurse or doctor would wear them for large parts of the day. Often 2 n95s or n99s and a visor. There are loads of studies on this. Masks are literally designed to be worn all day, by scientists, who carry out testing. The Facebook rubbish about masks was hilarious for anyone who ever worked in a lab or in a hospital. Go work in virology, microbiology or any infectious disease environment. You'll wear a mask all day not a bother. Masks are safe and they will stop the spread of aerosolized particles.

They are annoying, that is a different issue.

Great, there will be no problem then.

I will say though, pre Covid, docs and nurses in ER did not wear masks for extended periods of time. Anytime I have been there, very little mask wearing was happening. It’s probably totally different now of course.

Yeah visors alone I think. I’ve picked up a belt mic pack. Volume is good at a quick test this morning. Going to check it properly later

I'm gonna order one today I think, before they all sell out

I'd be very nervous about visors alone, the data is very sketchy on their effectiveness. Better than nothing for sure though ☺️

I will say though, pre Covid, docs and nurses in ER did not wear masks for extended periods of time. Anytime I have been there, very little mask wearing was happening. It’s probably totally different now of course.

No there won't be a problem wearing them. You should be careful about spreading misinformation though, in a time like this bad science causes deaths

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

That is for one day.

I wore a mask and what essentially was a welding helmet for a week Monday to Friday, 8am -5pm, when I worked in the SSD or sterilising department and it did not cause any health problems, the mask was fine but the helmet stifling, I did not suffer from low oxygen or any other issues. The welding helmet was to stop me getting steam burns from the ovens. It was a hot environment.

I would not have an issue wearing one in class as you get used to them very quickly. If worried about your ears get a mask that ties at the back or one of the slides you can put elastics onto to stop ears getting sore.

No there won't be a problem wearing them. You should be careful about spreading misinformation though, in a time like this bad science causes deaths

We will see how this statement looks in a couple months time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

They wear them for hours in an operating theatre, it's fine.

We will see how this statement looks in a couple months time.

What health danger do you understand there is? This smacks of generalised "I don't like new things" nonsense. Please inform us what impact it's likely to have on my health? Other than maybe localised acne outbreaks....

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭pandoraj09

Could you please post a link to the belt mic pack? Does it have to be connected to a lap top or something or does it just work independently?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

We project our voices far better than the average person, we will be totally fine teaching through a mask imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

We project our voices far better than the average person, we will be totally fine teaching through a mask imo.

I dunno, I've met people when I've been wearing my mask and had to repeat myself regularly because the mask muffled the sound, and I have no problem projecting my voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    Could you please post a link to the belt mic pack? Does it have to be connected to a lap top or something or does it just work independently?

They are battery operated, about the size of a walkman and have a headset like someone in a call centre would wear.

If you put 'belt mic amplifier' into amazon you'll find loads of examples.

Having run the test that’s definitely the case for me. Bear in mind I got criticised in my HDIP for being too loud speaking. I’m a singer and project well. I also have very good diction. That’s not meant as a boast just as background.

I bought this : Retekess PR16R Voice Amplifier with Microphone, FM Radio High Power 12W Voice Amplifier 1200mAh Rechargeable Batteries for Tour Guid, School, Super Market, Meeting, Training https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MGL31NW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_df.lFbGXMP40B

I ran some audio tests in the kitchen. Distance from phone to me about 4 feet. You can hear my kids and husband sorry! I tried my mums three layer home made mask and the euro shop single foam layer masks. I know I automatically got louder on the first once I pulled down the mask but remembered to stay the same on the second. I’ve attached the files.

I’ve had a load of PMs so hopefully that’s useful

I’m also getting myself this style mask so it doesn’t sit on my ears as with glasses, hearing aid and mic when needed then they’ll be a tad over crowded!

Edit: Eek boards had a canary. Fixing now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Newbie20

I think with regards to wearing the mask, I hope everybody has to wear them, teachers and students. It will be annoying for sure but make everyone feel a bit safer. What I noticed from wearing them in hospital recently is if the room is well ventilated they are ok but if they room is stuffy you mightn’t feel great. That’s one problem is classrooms (well ours anyway) are often very stuffy. But overall I’d come down on the side of wanted them worn across the board.

This is the face mask style. I wear my hair mostly in a pony tail so this will work well for me

https://www.reclaimedstitches.com/product/black-pink-drawstring-face-mask/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Thanks for that - just had a listen. Appreciate you sharing.

And you are right, you do have great diction!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Will a certain standard of mask be required? I bought one recently and it’s a single layer of thin fabric, very light, and no filter but grand for the hot weather.

It’s fine for going shopping as I wouldn’t be in close proximity to anyone - that’s my view anyways. However if students or staff had something similar it wouldn’t be of much benefit.

Would be useful if a certain type was recommended by DES. Maybe I missed if it was.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Thanks for that - just had a listen. Appreciate you sharing.

And you are right, you do have great diction!

Church cantor will do that for you lol

Teach30 wrote: »
    Will a certain standard of mask be required? I bought one recently and it’s a single layer of thin fabric, very light, and no filter but grand for the hot weather.

It’s fine for going shopping as I wouldn’t be in close proximity to anyone - that’s my view anyways. However if students or staff had something similar it wouldn’t be of much benefit.

Would be useful if a certain type was recommended by DES. Maybe I missed if it was.

I doubt they will go that far, too difficult to police. But HSE advice is that it should be at least two layers of fabric (cotton or silk):
    A cloth face covering should cover the nose and go under the chin and:

▪︎fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
    ▪︎be secured with ties or ear loops
    ▪︎include at least 2 layers of fabric
    ▪︎allow for breathing without restriction

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/face-masks-disposable-gloves.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Teach30 wrote: »

It's almost like they should be providing us with adequate PPE to return to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

I doubt they will go that far, too difficult to police. But HSE advice is that it should be at least two layers of fabric (cotton or silk):

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/face-masks-disposable-gloves.html

Yes two layers prob best. It’s just a thought as I Bought my one online and didn’t notice it always single. Tbh I’ll use it in school if it’s hot as I find the heavy cotton ones make me light headed if wearing for 30 min or more in the shops. I’m unlikely to be that close to kids now anyways.

Must practice wearing the thicker one more I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭pandoraj09

Just back from Tesco. Wore one of those blue disposable masks. My main issue with them is my glasses steaming up. The optician said there's no way around it. The specsavers stuff someone recommended here didn't work. I can't wear contacts. The kids will be having great craic watching me trying to teach with a mask, a visor and steamed up glasses.....

• Advertisement

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    Just back from Tesco. Wore one of those blue disposable masks. My main issue with them is my glasses steaming up. The optician said there's no way around it. The specsavers stuff someone recommended here didn't work. I can't wear contacts. The kids will be having great craic watching me trying to teach with a mask, a visor and steamed up glasses.....

Have you tried placing strips of tissue under the top edges of the mask under your eyes?

Advertisement