Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

DubLad69 wrote: »
    So if the previous advice was to only wear a face mask if you can't keep the 1m distance does that mean that now that we are all going to be wearing all masks at all times then the schools dont really have to stick to keeping us 1m away from each other?

My reading of it is that everything else stays the same, this is an addition to it. Unless we are 2m from them at all times we must wear a mask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

My reading of it is that everything else stays the same, this is an addition to it. Unless we are 2m from them at all times we must wear a mask

And so must they (students) at post primary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭Rosita

Principal just emailed us at 5pm on a Friday seeking a person for the LWR, but he can confirm that they will not be able to give them 2 hours off their timetable, but will give them 2 hours off S&S.

Can't see anyone doing it.

I guarantee you there’ll be people who’ll take the role in hope of currying favour for some job/hours/interview down the road. That’s how it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

pandoraj09 wrote: »
    I don't know. I'm emailing management to find out...There are a group on our staff that always shout loudly about coming back as early as possible.

They must be on every staff, we have them too ☹️Always seem to be in a rush back !! I can never understand why, the day you go in the summer ends, why rush that, esp for a full day of Croke Park hours.

How are parent teacher meetings to operate this year? I don't see any reference in the documents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

How are parent teacher meetings to operate this year? I don't see any reference in the documents.

I would imagine that they would be as normal, just with a 2m difference, Sanatiser at each door, and face coverings

I would imagine that they would be as normal, just with a 2m difference, Sanatiser at each door, and face coverings

Seems like a lot of unnecessary mixing with extra people. A huge extra risk of having teachers exposed risking school shutdowns. Vast majority of these meetings are a waste of time and a written report would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Just clarifying ... masks are still not mandatory at second level, is that right? It is just recommended that they are worn?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I'm still struggling with the idea (as mentioned before) that in 3rd level a 17/18 year old must maintain a 2m distance. But in second level that same 17/18 year old its 1m distance. I didn't know the virus was so picky when it came to distance.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Just clarifying ... masks are still not mandatory at second level, is that right? It is just recommended that they are worn?

It's not mandatory from the Dept. But it leave schools the option to make them mandatory. And many will. It will be included in the codes of behaviour for this teaching year.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

I think they are, I read somewhere that only students will medical exemptions won't be required to wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

The only way I could see them operating would be assigning teachers to a room like they do at primary level and parents move from room to room
    In theory it might work if there are enough rooms
    In reality you will have teachers who rabbit on for no reason causing long queues and parents who won’t respect SD and chat away and congregate
    They may have to move online ..........
    I can’t think of another profession at the moment that are holding such large meetings indoors
    With good reason

Again . No guidance in the document BUT for this part there is time yet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I think any school that doesn't amend their relevant code of behaviour/policy would be silly. They need to take any chance to protect their staff.

Just reading the circular that was dropped tonight (on a Friday would ya believe??)

I see that Covid sick pay comes into play if you either have Covid-19 or if you have been recommended to self-isolate.

I would imagine that if you present to your GP with flu-like symptoms and are sent for a test, you are recommended to self-isolate while you wait for the results, would that be right?

Is it the same if you find yourself needing to get tested, yet you are asymptomatic?

Just reading the circular that was dropped tonight (on a Friday would ya believe??)

I see that Covid sick pay comes into play if you either have Covid-19 or if you have been recommended to self-isolate.

I would imagine that if you present to your GP with flu-like symptoms and are sent for a test, you are recommended to self-isolate while you wait for the results, would that be right?

Is it the same if you find yourself needing to get tested, yet you are asymptomatic?

Yes, for example if you are identified as a close contact. But you remain available for remote work too.

Yes, for example if you are identified as a close contact. But you remain available for remote work too.

Ah yes I see it now and you are classified as 'Personal leave' with a sub-category of Covid-19 Restricted Movement.

So, whether you are Restricted Movement, Self-Isolation or Diagnosed, you are not eating into your regular sick pay.

Well that is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

It was hinted to us that they won't be happening - in person anyway. No parent teacher meetings and no open night obviously. Haven't heard officially from management yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    It was hinted to us that they won't be happening - in person anyway. No parent teacher meetings and no open night obviously. Haven't heard officially from management yet though.

A 10-minute video doing a virtual walk through school shud be enuf to cover open night. Those things too drawn out as it is.

Each school trying to keep up with the Joneses is about all they are anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Buy your own mask/visor ! ,
    according to Todays Independent.

Another expense .......so much for a 2% pay increase in October!!!

The only profession that has to kit themselves out for work!

Just make us self employed but contracted to the Dept....much more money,much more fun!

Are we ever going to cop on!

Where do we think things will stand regarding school staff refusing to wear face coverings? There will be some, I can already see some getting very worked up about their rights etc. If the employer, following government guidelines, mandates face coverings as part of the safe reopening strategy then how will these people be dealt with? You can't refuse to follow PPE policy in any other workplace situation afaik. Could it result in disciplinary action?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Where do we think things will stand regarding school staff refusing to wear face coverings? There will be some, I can already see some getting very worked up about their rights etc. If the employer, following government guidelines, mandates face coverings as part of the safe reopening strategy then how will these people be dealt with? You can't refuse to follow PPE policy in any other workplace situation afaik. Could it result in disciplinary action?

Yeah seeing this on twitter as well. You can bet these teachers are the same idiots who cause scenes at shop doors when staff ask them to mask up. They will be in the minority, I hope. Should be written into the relevant school policy and then they have no choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Yeah seeing this on twitter as well. You can bet these teachers are the same idiots who cause scenes at shop doors when staff ask them to mask up. They will be in the minority, I hope. Should be written into the relevant school policy and then they have no choice.

They might argue they can maintain a SD of 2 metres
    The guidance is once again too vague
    “Recommended “

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

We're in the middle of a global pandemic and still the only clear instructions that DES issues are to do with our sick pay being used like it's business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭Rosita

If the employer, following government guidelines, mandates face coverings as part of the safe reopening strategy then how will these people be dealt with? /QUOTE]

There's no way they'll "mandate" it especially in a practical sense. It'll be an advisory and most will wear them out of social peer pressure if not actual belief in their necessity. They'll (Dept of Ed or local management) will never put themselves in a situation where they are in a Mexican stand-off with a member of staff or student over a face-covering. That's not to say that 'soft' solutions might not be found around location, class-size, timetable etc., but there'll never be a 'you must do this or else' moment I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I’d be sympathetic to someone who doesn’t want to wear a mask all day, teacher or student. I’ve been wearing them in shops, and if I’m shopping for a while, I feel physically quite tired when I get out. I can’t imagine how I’d feel if I had to wear one for a whole day’s work, and I’m relatively young (emphasis on “relatively”) and relatively fit, compared to a lot of teachers.

I wonder will it void your entitlement to Covid sick pay if you ended up catching Covid and it could be proven that you didn't make a reasonable effort to protect yourself from it (ie: wearing a mask)?

It will be interesting to see if we are asked to submit it in writing (or something like that) to the principal if we opt out of wearing a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,846 ✭✭✭gifted

Looks to me thsthst t the Dept of Education is wiping it's hands of this problem....get the kids back to school, any issues the principals and teachers can deal with it.....nothing to see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We’re getting visors apparently. I’ll still be wearing a mask under it for my bigger classes at least based on my reading of the science

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

We’re getting visors apparently. I’ll still be wearing a mask under it for my bigger classes at least based on my reading of the science

Is your principal suggesting visors alone?

The masks will make teaching more difficult for sure. Be hard to project your voice etc. but, same as you, from the research I just can't see a visor offering enough protection, for me or the kids.

I do have a demonstration desk in my lab and I'm half tempted to get a big sheet of perspex or shatterproof acetate and fix it to it so I could do demonstrations behind it without a mask, be a lot of cleaning but it might be worth it. I'd be well over 2m from the nearest student up there but I'd be worried that youd get down spray without the screen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Is your principal suggesting visors alone?

The masks will make teaching more difficult for sure. Be hard to project your voice etc. but, same as you, from the research I just can't see a visor offering enough protection, for me or the kids.

I do have a demonstration desk in my lab and I'm half tempted to get a big sheet of perspex or shatterproof acetate and fix it to it so I could do demonstrations behind it without a mask, be a lot of cleaning but it might be worth it. I'd be well over 2m from the nearest student up there but I'd be worried that youd get down spray without the screen

I know one secondary school getting 7ft high perspex for the teachers desks and for voice projection maybe a voice amplifier with microphone could be useful, at least it could be worn with a mask

Advertisement