Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

LW2018 wrote: »
    New circular out to allow for payment of additional supervision & substitution that is extra to the S&S duties. All aimed to help monitor social distancing within the school and because of staggered break and lunch times. Paid at an hourly rate - will help Principals for sure

Different rates for pre/post 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

New circular out to allow for payment of additional supervision & substitution that is extra to the S&S duties. All aimed to help monitor social distancing within the school and because of staggered break and lunch times. Paid at an hourly rate - will help Principals for sure

I assume that this is optional? As in teachers will have to be asked first?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

I presume so? Part time staff are given first priority and then full time staff who have not opted out of S&S but I’d imagine that it will be optional. Most likely there will be an additional supervision rota based on those opting for extra hours. Hard to give over more slots with a full teaching timetable when you could already be called for a lot of the weekly S&S slots you’ve already offered over. Supervision will be needed in the mornings etc though, but still needs the buy-in. It is disappointing that even this is still pre and post 2011 pay rates though. Continuing on that divide when they need such a buy-in is completely wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pursefan

Hi all, seriously stressed after seeing the social distancing plans on my school. They are talking about spacing kids " shoulder to shoulder ". Not even one metre apart. I measured it. Students desk right up near teachers desk and less than 3 feet from white board. I feel we will be lambs to the slaughter here and principals will say because they are putting in screens in front of the teachers desk, there is no need for social distancing. Madness. Tempted to send the photos to a newspaper to show parents what their kids will really experience in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Pursefan wrote: »
    Hi all, seriously stressed after seeing the social distancing plans on my school. They are talking about spacing kids " shoulder to shoulder ". Not even one metre apart. I measured it. Students desk right up near teachers desk and less than 3 feet from white board. I feel we will be lambs to the slaughter here and principals will say because they are putting in screens in front of the teachers desk, there is no need for social distancing. Madness. Tempted to send the photos to a newspaper to show parents what their kids will really experience in school.

We got some pics emailed on our classroom layouts as well. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Students with their backs completely to the board. Students about a foot apart if that, at double desks. Crazy stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Post primary? Any chance of sharing? I have no idea what our school will look like. It doesn't look like there's any changes yet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

If you opted out of s and s can you opt into these extra hours ?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭themusicman

Bobtheman wrote: »
    If you opted out of s and s can you opt into these extra hours ?

Yes
    And it doesn’t mean you have opted into the s and s rota

It’s to be a completely separate and additional layer...but it’s only supervision...no substitution allowed from the fund

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pursefan

We got some pics emailed on our classroom layouts as well. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Students with their backs completely to the board. Students about a foot apart if that, at double desks. Crazy stuff
    It is just surreal. My colleague rang the ASTI and they seem fine with all this!! Have they all totally lost their minds???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Keep a careful eye on how many classes are supervised for Covid Vs regular S&S.

I think there will be many many 'mixups' of teachers down for S&S but in fact covering a period which should be paid.

Watch this space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

For student based classrooms, what are schools doing for the time between a teacher leaving & one arriving? Is this what the new scheme is for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Icsics wrote: »
    For student based classrooms, what are schools doing for the time between a teacher leaving & one arriving? Is this what the new scheme is for?

Just remember, once the bell rings and you're timetabled, you are acting in loco parentis.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Blondini wrote: »
    Just remember, once the bell rings and you're timetabled, you are acting in loco parentis.

Loco parents has to be predicated on being reasonable. If it's not possible for a teacher to be physically present in the next class a split second after the previous classes finishes, then it's simply not possible.

This would probably fall back onto the school's responsibility for not taking due care in arranging the timetable appropriately.

If you are walking between classes are you in loco parentis in the corridors also?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

It is just surreal. My colleague rang the ASTI and they seem fine with all this!! Have they all totally lost their minds???

I asked this last week on here. Some posters believe that the silence from the unions is strategic. That's clearly not the case.

The social distancing requirement of 2m should be non-negotiable. Face masks non-negotiable rather than recommended. Our employer has a duty of care for our health. It's absent at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Icsics wrote: »

I asked in our school and got a noncense reply. If you are off the next period the hope is you'd stay around until next teacher comes :rolleyes: . Of course this forgets the fact that most teachers won't be off and will need to get to another room themselves. We are also being asked to supervise them in the class during their 11 break.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I asked in our school and got a noncense reply. If you are off the next period the hope is you'd stay around until next teacher comes :rolleyes: . Of course this forgets the fact that most teachers won't be off and will need to get to another room themselves. We are also being asked to supervise them in the class during their 11 break.

That's ridiculous, and if you have a school with say 30 classrooms occupied, then everyone would be supervising at breaktime. That means teachers would never get a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Are they not even allowed to go out for fresh air at small break ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Are they not even allowed to go out for fresh air at small break ?

I'd say keeping students in a room at break will cause more problems than it will prevent. They need to leave the classroom environment for a break. Students that don't have any friends in a particular class group will be very isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭Rosita

I asked in our school and got a noncense reply. If you are off the next period the hope is you'd stay around until next teacher comes :rolleyes: . .

I think this is as good a sign as any of the seat-of-the-pants nature of the planning. There are so many basics which have no plausible answer.

There's extra money available to supervise outside your S&S so if youre asked to supervise the students at break time they can pay you for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I'd say keeping students in a room at break will cause more problems than it will prevent. They need to leave the classroom environment for a break. Students that don't have any friends in a particular class group will be very isolated.

I was even thinking for their health. Wouldn’t they safer walking outdoors than sitting in the same air as others. I know windows can be opened but in some places very fresh little air gets in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    I was even thinking for their health. Wouldn’t they safer walking outdoors than sitting in the same air as others. I know windows can be opened but in some places very fresh little air gets in.

I definitely agree. What about students getting some actual fresh air and a break from mask wearing? I know I'll be going out for fresh air breaks when I'm free.

When they talk about blended learning and the removal of some students from class to overflow areas what exactly is the proposal? I can’t see how that works in Maths for example? I can’t just say ‘correct your homework from the back of the book, read the example and do the next questions x, y and z’. That’s not realistic or fair. But equally I can’t teach a full timetable and continue to pre-record all the corrections and demonstrations? I’d be burnt out by midterm or divorced

When they talk about blended learning and the removal of some students from class to overflow areas what exactly is the proposal? I can’t see how that works in Maths for example? I can’t just say ‘correct your homework from the back of the book, read the example and do the next questions x, y and z’. That’s not realistic or fair. But equally I can’t teach a full timetable and continue to pre-record all the corrections and demonstrations? I’d be burnt out by midterm or divorced

As far as I can see from our school there will be nobody sent to any room. We're putting 30 in a room if we have to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

As far as I can see from our school there will be nobody sent to any room. We're putting 30 in a room if we have to

Same. We can't facilitate taking 6 or so kids from each class every 40 minutes. Where do they go? Who supervises them? How do they participate in the class?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

Love this... burnt out or divorced! So true though...even when you are asking if anybody has any questions - are they supposed to shout across / put hands up through zoom etc.? I think this has been mooted for our place but we don't have a free room no matter what they try as space is always tight so an 'overspill' room for even one class is extremely unlikely.

Do people think there will be an issue photocopying and handing out notes to classes? I use too many notes and was looking forward to being able to physically hand bits out to them but unsure if that will be appropriate now?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭WWMRD

So it seems our boss has taken the return to school document and implemented everything on it. New principal so wants to
    Impress!

Our school has been divided into zones for each year group. Then each class group within each year has their own base room for core subjects and then leave that room for options only. Their lockers will also be in their base room.

Teachers will be moving rooms with trolleys!! They will have work rooms as many have lost their own rooms.

A lot of S&S expectations of our staff for the coming year which I suppose in the grand scheme of things has to be done.

Breaks and lunches have been staggered and this is going to be great craic to get used to for everyone.

Still not feeling too good about going back but at least what can be done in our school has been done.

The emails have started to fly again and still 2 weeks left so might put an out of office on my email hahaha

WWMRD wrote: »
    So it seems our boss has taken the return to school document and implemented everything on it. New principal so wants to
    Impress!

Our school has been divided into zones for each year group. Then each class group within each year has their own base room for core subjects and then leave that room for options only. Their lockers will also be in their base room.

Teachers will be moving rooms with trolleys!! They will have work rooms as many have lost their own rooms.

A lot of S&S expectations of our staff for the coming year which I suppose in the grand scheme of things has to be done.

Breaks and lunches have been staggered and this is going to be great craic to get used to for everyone.

Still not feeling too good about going back but at least what can be done in our school has been done.

The emails have started to fly again and still 2 weeks left so might put an out of office on my email hahaha

Do you mind me asking what are the s and s expectations? Ours seem to be avoiding those sticky points yet. No decision on staggered starts or How break time Is done yet

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭WWMRD

Do you mind me asking what are the s and s expectations? Ours seem to be avoiding those sticky points yet. No decision on staggered starts or How break time Is done yet

We are asked to do 10 mins every morning we are on first class and 10 mins early back after lunch each day all for supervision of the base rooms.

Then asked to give up ALL our blank spaces for S&S but will only be called for the allowed amount each week. We have been told that extra money is there if we go over our allotted time and our deputy will be drawing up the timetable for it all where previously we were allowed choose before/after school, break, lunch etc

Also supervision of canteen needed for break times....so much will be asked of so few (or something along the lines of Leo’s speech!)

Staggered break for us mean that teachers are starting class and then stopping 10 mins in to break (15mins) then start again for 30 mins! Won’t go down well for practical subjects! All the staggering is year group based so 2nd/TY/5th break today 1st/6th together etc

On paper it’s a super plan that took many many many hours with zero consultation from staff so let’s hope in reality it will work!

• Advertisement

WWMRD wrote: »
    We are asked to do 10 mins every morning we are on first class and 10 mins early back after lunch each day all for supervision of the base rooms.

Then asked to give up ALL our blank spaces for S&S but will only be called for the allowed amount each week. We have been told that extra money is there if we go over our allotted time and our deputy will be drawing up the timetable for it all where previously we were allowed choose before/after school, break, lunch etc

Also supervision of canteen needed for break times....so much will be asked of so few (or something along the lines of Leo’s speech!)

Staggered break for us mean that teachers are starting class and then stopping 10 mins in to break (15mins) then start again for 30 mins! Won’t go down well for practical subjects! All the staggering is year group based so 2nd/TY/5th break today 1st/6th together etc

On paper it’s a super plan that took many many many hours with zero consultation from staff so let’s hope in reality it will work!

We usually did 35 minutes S and S a week in two slots. A jump to 100 minutes like you’ve described would be a lot! and are you supervising the 15 minute break too for those who aren’t going to the canteen?

We always had to rank the ten and even thought
    it was hoped to be from your top five there was no guarantee so that wouldn’t be too different

Advertisement