Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭WWMRD

We usually did 35 minutes S and S a week in two slots. A jump to 100 minutes like you’ve described would be a lot! and are you supervising the 15 minute break too for those who aren’t going to the canteen?

We always had to rank the ten and even thought
    it was hoped to be from your top five there was no guarantee so that wouldn’t be too different

We would have done 50mins previously each week! For me I will be doing 80 mins just by going to class 10 mins before start of school and at lunch. I think cause I’m gone over the 50 mins I won’t have to do the canteen supervision but if deputy is stuck we are obliged to help out!

For the breaks that are staggered in classes...the start stop start one...that is my break time so I definitely will be locking the door during those 15 mins!

We always ranked top 9 and then 5 chosen that we could get ‘caught’ for so we always had 5 definite classes off which are needed for sure and even more than ever now....So this is a big change for us and tough for those who managed to have first or last class off....it looks like we are required to be in there all the time I’m afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Ah ok I get you, the slots will always have to be available now as opposed to your ‘regulars’. That’s ok with me but yeah I can see itbeing annoying for anyone who used to nip off early and work at home. I always preferred to work in the building as much as possible.

Big changes to everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Ah ok I get you, the slots will always have to be available now as opposed to your ‘regulars’. That’s ok with me but yeah I can see itbeing annoying for anyone who used to nip off early and work at home. I always preferred to work in the building as much as possible.

Big changes to everything

I dont have children myself but I'd feel sorry for those who used to be able to work their childcare costs around those slots off

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

LW2018 wrote: »
    Do people think there will be an issue photocopying and handing out notes to classes? I use too many notes and was looking forward to being able to physically hand bits out to them but unsure if that will be appropriate now?

We were told no handouts of any kind allowed. Photocopiers are also not in use.

Alex86Eire wrote: »

Yikes, that’s hard going if the kids don’t have devices. We’re one to one so would be ok enough

• Advertisement

Yikes, that’s hard going if the kids don’t have devices. We’re one to one so would be ok enough

Yeah we aren't an iPad/device school. It's going to be interesting..

Yeah we aren't an iPad/device school. It's going to be interesting..

Yeah I can see that being very annoying for maths tests even when we are 1:1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Wow! A school I know sent letter to kids saying lockers have been removed so only a minimum amount of books will be required. This is gonna be so tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

This is going to be an utterly depressing year for many students. Class after class of note taking and PowerPoints (a full day of this would strain anyone). No real face to face contact with any teacher, not getting outside (many of our students would get to go around the school when moving between class periods) etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

This is going to be an utterly depressing year for many students. Class after class of note taking and PowerPoints (a full day of this would strain anyone). No real face to face contact with any teacher, not getting outside (many of our students would get to go around the school when moving between class periods) etc etc
    I agree, absenteeism is going to be a very serious issue. Teachers are going to be cranky with no breaks. No group work - maybe no practical work. I am dreading it.

• Advertisement

Wow! A school I know sent letter to kids saying lockers have been removed so only a minimum amount of books will be required. This is gonna be so tough.

Yes students are also not bringing textbooks to school. So no textbooks or handouts. We'll be using ebooks on the teacher computer I guess. Its totally against my teaching style and I'm not looking forward to it.

The poor students.

WWMRD wrote: »
    We are asked to do 10 mins every morning we are on first class and 10 mins early back after lunch each day all for supervision of the base rooms.

Then asked to give up ALL our blank spaces for S&S but will only be called for the allowed amount each week. We have been told that extra money is there if we go over our allotted time and our deputy will be drawing up the timetable for it all where previously we were allowed choose before/after school, break, lunch etc

Also supervision of canteen needed for break times....so much will be asked of so few (or something along the lines of Leo’s speech!)

Staggered break for us mean that teachers are starting class and then stopping 10 mins in to break (15mins) then start again for 30 mins! Won’t go down well for practical subjects! All the staggering is year group based so 2nd/TY/5th break today 1st/6th together etc

On paper it’s a super plan that took many many many hours with zero consultation from staff so let’s hope in reality it will work!

Has any school asked had any consultation with staff about their plans. I find it really insulting. We are at the coal face and are being given absolutely no opportunity to have our voices heard on this

• Registered Users Posts: 12,238 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Has any school asked had any consultation with staff about their plans. I find it really insulting. We are at the coal face and are being given absolutely no opportunity to have our voices heard on this

Yeah we've had staff meetings and staff voting on plans. We're very involved. The way it should be.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,238 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I agree, absenteeism is going to be a very serious issue. Teachers are going to be cranky with no breaks. No group work - maybe no practical work. I am dreading it.

No coffee...... I pity the first student who pisses me off.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

I do hope this isn’t the case... I know we can email notes to students but I think they prefer them in front of them in hard copy (in my school anyway) and I don’t want to put pressure on families if their son/daughter wants all the notes printed out at home. Care could be taken to sanitize hands before handing out and then their responsibility to keep them... especially for them to have bits for remote learning if we have to use blended learning. I know it’s a small thing but trying to get to some normality for how we actually teach will help all

I do hope this isn’t the case... I know we can email notes to students but I think they prefer them in front of them in hard copy (in my school anyway) and I don’t want to put pressure on families if their son/daughter wants all the notes printed out at home. Care could be taken to sanitize hands before handing out and then their responsibility to keep them... especially for them to have bits for remote learning if we have to use blended learning. I know it’s a small thing but trying to get to some normality for how we actually teach will help all

This is just my school. Yours may have different rules. We're still using Google Classroom so we can throw the notes up there. It isn't the same I agree but our school wasn't willing to take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Where does it say students are not allowed outside?

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Where does it say students are not allowed outside?

Of course they are, but most will have little opportunity. More double classes, year groups being in same area. I meant moving between classes.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭ascophyllum

We've received our plan from management for the year, zero consultation with staff, students stay in base classes mostly apart from some options, they keep to their own part of the school, they can take break outside or stay in their own room, presumably they can't move around the room so on the many many rainy days, they'll be sitting in their seat for over 6 hours I guess, no mention of how we share hardware, there's a pc in every room that I guess we'll log into each time. No mention of staffroom, photocopy room, where we work, keep our resources etc. I'm guessing in our car?
    Oh and they also repeated the line about not stealing any cleaning equipment from the Dept of Education's document. :mad: Bye bye goodwill.

It's pretty much online learning but we're supervising them doing it so their parents can be dragged back to work by their employers. All about the money. Some parents in my group of friends are not sending theirs back. One friend has to send her boy back because she will lose her job otherwise. The guilt she feels is immense. Horrible to see. I'm nervous enough for myself and I don't have children. My heart goes out to parents

• Advertisement

Oh and they also repeated the line about not stealing any cleaning equipment from the Dept of Education's document. :mad: Bye bye goodwill.

I'm going to be very patient with my management team this year. This has been hard on us all but they have really been put through the ringer. But so help me God, if that line comes out of one of their mouths ......

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I'm going to be very patient with my management team this year. This has been hard on us all but they have really been put through the ringer. But so help me God, if that line comes out of one of their mouths ......

This made me laugh a lot. So true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Love this... burnt out or divorced! So true though...even when you are asking if anybody has any questions - are they supposed to shout across / put hands up through zoom etc.? I think this has been mooted for our place but we don't have a free room no matter what they try as space is always tight so an 'overspill' room for even one class is extremely unlikely.

Do people think there will be an issue photocopying and handing out notes to classes? I use too many notes and was looking forward to being able to physically hand bits out to them but unsure if that will be appropriate now?

I assume photocopies are out for the year? I'm paranoid (realistic) about remote learning so I've made a plan for all my classes until Christmas broken down week by week and have almost everything printed and put in folders. Just gona leave them in the room for the next week and then give leave them on the kids desk first class back. It's mostly Maths homework sheets, worked examples, I give self corrected test in class a lot so these are in envelopes, sealed and labelled in the folder. At least if they are at home they have everything and we could still do normal things like the little class check ins and homework in the format they are used to with the graph on the page and diagrams they can draw on.

We have a Teams page but some stuff is easier if it's physically in front of you

I assume photocopies are out for the year? I'm paranoid (realistic) about remote learning so I've made a plan for all my classes until Christmas broken down week by week and have almost everything printed and put in folders. Just gona leave them in the room for the next week and then give leave them on the kids desk first class back. It's mostly Maths homework sheets, worked examples, I give self corrected test in class a lot so these are in envelopes, sealed and labelled in the folder. At least if they are at home they have everything and we could still do normal things like the little class check ins and homework in the format they are used to with the graph on the page and diagrams they can draw on.

We have a Teams page but some stuff is easier if it's physically in front of you

You aren’t alone. I think I’m going to go in next week and record the demo problems on the white board for the first few chapters for each year group. I’ve already a full plan done out for most of my music including full new powerpoints with active links etc. The thoughts of blended learning or trying to mind my kids and give online lessons again simultaneously makes me nauseous even thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

I'm just trying to get ahead of it, same as you. I found the first few weeks of remote learning hell and I've no kid to look after,. Had 4 exam classes be last year and I felt there werent enough hours in the day. Hopefully the bit of prep will pay off, at the very least it'll make the mornings easier

I'm wondering about exams though, HL maths at LC is just impossible to do online. Maybe they do it and take a pic and I could correct online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

Funnily enough, in my place, if management dared to look for official meeting before return to August time, the uproar would be deafening and union called etc. I understand staff consultation etc, that's what the LWR and union reps and bom nominees are for. It is indeed valuable, but the principal isn't working as an island (most of the time). If you open it up to everyone's opinion you would get absolutely no consensus and it would just spiral and spiral (like a covid thread!). I'd prefer to trust our p, and point out issues as they arise rather than lash into them for the DES failings. Sure the parents are probs doing that already!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Smacruairi wrote: »
    Funnily enough, in my place, if management dared to look for official meeting before return to August time, the uproar would be deafening and union called etc. I understand staff consultation etc, that's what the LWR and union reps and bom nominees are for. It is indeed valuable, but the principal isn't working as an island (most of the time). If you open it up to everyone's opinion you would get absolutely no consensus and it would just spiral and spiral (like a covid thread!). I'd prefer to trust our p, and point out issues as they arise rather than lash into them for the DES failings. Sure the parents are probs doing that already!!!

It’s fine for a principal to have to make a final decision on something but it can really disenfranchise staff when they are the ones who have to implement a policy that they had no say in.

And then there are the power hungary fascist principals. If they were an island I’d say they were Tristan Da Cunha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

It’s fine for a principal to have to make a final decision on something but it can really disenfranchise staff when they are the ones who have to implement a policy that they had no say in.

And then there are the power hungary fascist principals. If they were an island I’d say they were Tristan Da Cunha.

Oh I agree, but I would imagine a lot of that could be done quickly as you return to school. A long staff meeting to thrash out the suggested plan rather than starting from scratch. Depends on the working relationship with the SMT though to be fair which, as you said, can range from DES sycophant to Archbishop McQuaid wannabe. I just have experience of working with ppl who have the opinion (sometimes correctly!) that if it's not in their required hours they don't doing it. Hard one to judge for some.

I don't know where I stand on base classes for example. Do I want kids in situ looking at their own area and minimising choke points on stairs etc, but less supervision and more stagnation of air. Or do I want teachers staying in rooms but everyone moving to give them a bit of a break but you've 600 ppl moving every second and the constant need to wipe down a chair at start end of lesson. It's a hard one.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭emilymemily

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    We’re all in for an interesting September anyway. I’ve no bother with giving the desks a disinfect between classes but I have a lot of doubt that my colleagues would keep it up or if the kids are to do it themselves, they’ll do it properly. Any news what’s happening with staff rooms ?

Just on this, I disinfect the tables twice a day to stop the spread of germs anyway, ive often stayed in the class during my lunch break to spray the tables and clean other areas of the class, reason being I catch everything going during the school year, I am often continuously sick between November and February.
    Even with regular disinfecting tables, door handles etc, I still get sick. It makes very little difference in the spread of colds and flus in schools.

What worries me is class groups are big but the classes are small, often students are crammed into rooms and nearly sitting on top of one another, how are they meant to socially distance when there isnt enough classroom space?

How are the kids in the autistic unit expected to socially distance? I have a handful of students that do not like the sensation of soap or gels on their hands. How can they be expected to come to school and stay safe when they are already so vulnerable and at a disadvantage?

The department and ETB's handling of this is disgraceful, we are being thrown into the line of fire. For the first time I am thankful that I dont have a contract as I am questioning whether or not I will go back to work this year as I dont feel safe to do so.

• Advertisement

I'm just trying to get ahead of it, same as you. I found the first few weeks of remote learning hell and I've no kid to look after,. Had 4 exam classes be last year and I felt there werent enough hours in the day. Hopefully the bit of prep will pay off, at the very least it'll make the mornings easier

I'm wondering about exams though, HL maths at LC is just impossible to do online. Maybe they do it and take a pic and I could correct online

It’s impossible to physically correct everyone’s maths individually, you will burn out. It takes far longer to correct online than in the copy. What I did was record the full solutions for the homework in video. The first part of the each virtual class was to use the video to correct any questions that went wrong. They had to upload their work so I could see they wrote out the solution/fixed their work. Then I recorded the demonstration for whatever we were doing that day. They could watch/rewatch it. And then set them questions to do. Rarely I used someone else’s YouTube video for demonstrations but I found it never quite worked as well-they are used to me and my way of speaking/teaching. If they still couldn’t figure out a problem then they messaged me

It worked fairly well. Obviously not as good as a classroom by any stretch but it was ok. However it was incredibly time consuming to prep/record particularly without a proper whiteboard. I ended up preparing the document with screen shots of the problems then writing on that. But creating that document took time. So did the recording etc. There’s no way I could do it for three maths class groups on top of teaching a full timetable

Advertisement