Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

On top of all the issues, our school have had to order a couple of hundred single desks that won't be here for September, are we just not going to open up for however long it takes to get desks for the adequate social distancing (or pretend social distancing really with class numbers)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

The school secretary was saying that the local community employment scheme is offering cleaners through the CE scheme to wipe down surfaces when classes swap over.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

On top of all the issues, our school have had to order a couple of hundred single desks that won't be here for September, are we just not going to open up for however long it takes to get desks for the adequate social distancing (or pretend social distancing really with class numbers)

I would have thought most schools won't be able to get 1m between students in a classroom regardless of the type of desk used. We certainly won't be. I assume you will open prior to the desks arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ethical

Any way to find out what % of schools are ignoring "base classroom" with all their issues in favour of teacher based rooms where there is more control and a much more manageable situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

ethical wrote: »
    Any way to find out what % of schools are ignoring "base classroom" with all their issues in favour of teacher based rooms where there is more control and a much more manageable situation?

This is what I would like to know too. The Principal & his aide seem to have decided on student based classroom, no consultation & are now citing 'best practice' & 'in line with' return to school doc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I know of four schools doing a student base room approach.

Three schools continuing with teachers change rooms.
    And two schools doing a hybrid approach. All year groups confined to certain corridors and teachers given baserooms in that area.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

Is it unusual that we still don't know who our LWR is, or if students will have a base room yet?

Does the LWR go back in before other staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

DubLad69 wrote: »
    Is it unusual that we still don't know who our LWR is, or if students will have a base room yet?

Does the LWR go back in before other staff?

LWR will be back before other staff (we were told) depends on school.

Base room also depends on school. Some yes, some no.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

LWR has to be elected by staff so no reason they need to be back before school starts

The Aide will be back, many will probably have already started work. It's being split in our place, so 2 people doing 7.5 days or something.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

If people find it hard to breathe in a mask, they probably shouldn't be in closed environments like classrooms.

It's not a continuous thing but it's generally harder to breathe with a mask on. I think that's pretty clear. It's one thing popping in a shop or walking on a street.. Another to wear it for hours

• Advertisement

Is the LWR paid? Another layer of bureaucracy? In my experience principals largely do what they want. The new mgt posts and all their attached bull**** provide a contraceptive layer between them and the proletariat!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

LWR gets two hours off their timetable, different arrangement if they are not a teacher. I'd be onto the Union if it isn't an elected position

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

We are going to be pushing it tight with only two and a bit weeks to go. So much work to be done tbh. A good lot of classrooms being modified, built in countertops and cabinets all being pulled out. Doing most of it myself as well.

It's going to be frightening for the girls when they come back. I actually feel sorry for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

We are going to be pushing it tight with only two and a bit weeks to go. So much work to be done tbh. A good lot of classrooms being modified, built in countertops and cabinets all being pulled out. Doing most of it myself as well.

It's going to be frightening for the girls when they come back. I actually feel sorry for them.

I honestly think they need to consider pushing out the return date by a couple of weeks if they want a safe return for all

km79 wrote: »
    I honestly think they need to consider pushing out the return date by a couple of weeks if they want a safe return for all

You're right. However the "plan" should have been released weeks and weeks earlier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

If you had a child who was vulnerable or high risk, would you allow them to return to school with what we know presently?

If you had a child who was vulnerable or high risk, would you allow them to return to school with what we know presently?

Not a hope, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

You're right. However the "plan" should have been released weeks and weeks earlier.

The plan is ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I wouldn’t let them return to school at all, until this is under control, if they’re “high risk”. I certainly wouldn’t trust schools to guarantee the child’s safety.

The plan is ****.

That is also true, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

Not a chance. I live with a high risk person and they will be moving out until there is a vaccine or I am working from home.

If it was my child, I wouldn't even have anything to think about. They would not be going back into the school building until there is a vaccine, or class sizes are halved.

If I had a child who was medium or high risk they would be staying home until there is a vaccine. But I also wouldn't be allowing them to play on the street with friends without social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Newbie20

We are keeping our own classrooms so very happy with that. All students will have to wear a mask and teachers will wear mask or visor. Happy with that too, makes me feel slightly safer going back.

I had to wear a mask for about 10 hours straight in hospital recently. What I found was that because the room was well ventilated, it didn’t really bother me too much. However, when I was in another day for just 2 hours, the room was very stuffy and I struggled a bit that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Icsics wrote: »
    This is what I would like to know too. The Principal & his aide seem to have decided on student based classroom, no consultation & are now citing 'best practice' & 'in line with' return to school doc.

We, as a staff, are always consulted about decision in school and given a chance to have an input. We were not given that with student based classrooms which is so disappointing. I know from speaking to other teachers in the school that we would all feel much more comfortable and safe in a teacher based class. We have got rid of lockers, pushed towards double classes when possible and staggered breaks. The student based classrooms just seems like a token policy pushed in at this point. I think many schools will move away from it by mid term. More draw backs than positives to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

We, as a staff, are always consulted about decision in school and given a chance to have an input. We were not given that with student based classrooms which is so disappointing. I know from speaking to other teachers in the school that we would all feel much more comfortable and safe in a teacher based class. We have got rid of lockers, pushed towards double classes when possible and staggered breaks. The student based classrooms just seems like a token policy pushed in at this point. I think many schools will move away from it by mid term. More draw backs than positives to it.

I'm not PP level but I can see the reversal of the student based classrooms alright. To me it makes zero sense and creates far more issues than it solves. These will become blatantly apparent once school is back. Things might look okay on paper but the reality will be different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

As someone who was bullied in school myself basing kids in their own classroom and rotating the Supervision was my worst nightmare. I hated those minutss

As someone who was bullied in school myself basing kids in their own classroom and rotating the Supervision was my worst nightmare. I hated those minutss

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that. I suppose kids moving can create opportunities too? Our principal sees the value in keeping our rooms but didn't consult.
    The union in our school declined as people fell over their colleagues to get promotion. Then a lot of new teachers felt let down by the dual pay scales. Thus most principals ain't afraid of the unions.
    However we are still better off than meat workers. The fact that agency staff are the main employer says it all. But after 100 years of center right government that's what you get. Though the disunity and sometimes farcical policies of some left wing parties doesn't help.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I'm genuinely sorry to hear that. I suppose kids moving can create opportunities too? Our principal sees the value in keeping our rooms but didn't consult.
    The union in our school declined as people fell over their colleagues to get promotion. Then a lot of new teachers felt let down by the dual pay scales. Thus most principals ain't afraid of the unions.
    However we are still better off than meat workers. The fact that agency staff are the main employer says it all. But after 100 years of center right government that's what you get. Though the disunity and sometimes farcical policies of some left wing parties doesn't help.

Yes but it’s much easier to tag to someone who is nice and you are on the move often with the teacher in the corridor on the way to her class too. It was infinitely better when we had science or a subject we had to leave the room for tbh

Yes but it’s much easier to tag to someone who is nice and you are on the move often with the teacher in the corridor on the way to her class too. It was infinitely better when we had science or a subject we had to leave the room for tbh

Good points.

I believe they did eventually move to classrooms for Teachers. There was a lot of time lost to set up by staff as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LW2018

New circular out to allow for payment of additional supervision & substitution that is extra to the S&S duties. All aimed to help monitor social distancing within the school and because of staggered break and lunch times. Paid at an hourly rate - will help Principals for sure

Advertisement