Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post primary return to schools roadmap

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭DubLad69

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Note that you are entitled to 2hrs off your timetable 'where possible' (or something to that effect) so careful there

It also says elsewhere in the document that if the principal is unable to provide those two hours then they will need to explain why, and explain to the whole staff that this person is not able to be the LWR and they will have to elect another person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

DubLad69 wrote: »
    It also says elsewhere in the document that if the principal is unable to provide those two hours then they will need to explain why, and explain to the whole staff that this person is not able to be the LWR and they will have to elect another person

I did see that and I don't know why but I got the impression it was worded a little bit like 'if we can give you the 2hrs we will, if not we will see what else we can do and sure if that doesnt work we will have to find someone else' but I probably got that wrong as I was reading it late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I did see that and I don't know why but I got the impression it was worded a little bit like 'if we can give you the 2hrs we will, if not we will see what else we can do and sure if that doesnt work we will have to find someone else' but I probably got that wrong as I was reading it late at night.

Very ambiguous is what it is. Double speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

DubLad69 wrote: »

Keep voting until ye elect the principal‘s choice ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Sounds a bit like that doesn't it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

2011abc wrote: »
    Keep voting until ye elect the principal‘s choice ?!

Do not allow an online Google docs/forms vote whatever you do, there is zero transparency or mightn't guarantee anonymity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

I'm a science teacher - what will my class room look like in terms of practical work? Same for Home Ec and other practicals.

Will students be able to engage in experiments if they wear gloves? And will students be able to use that same equipment in the next class?

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Moody_mona wrote: »
    I'm a science teacher - what will my class room look like in terms of practical work? Same for Home Ec and other practicals.

Will students be able to engage in experiments if they wear gloves? And will students be able to use that same equipment in the next class?

What do you think?

Again
    Another huge gap in the "plan"
    The way things are going I think it will be irrelevant by the end of September sadly.
    As a country we need to prepare ourselves for a very very long winter. I am despairing at the lack of any remote teaching guidelines. I have been banging this drum since March. It is absolutely incredible there is not even a skeleton plan in any of the documents. Scary....

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

What do you think?

Also a science teacher. We were told no practical work this year by management. Only teacher demos allowed. I assume it'll be up to your school to call it. No mention of it in the official plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

km79 wrote: »
    Again
    The way things are going I think it will be irrelevant by the end of September sadly.
    As a country we need to prepare ourselves for a very very long winter. I am despairing at the lack of any remote teaching guidelines. I have been banging this drum since March. It is absolutely incredible there is not even a skeleton plan in any of the documents. Scary....

"Do the same as you did in March. Be grand"

That's probably what will happen.

I don't think we will experience schools shut down for a while. I think the government will want to keep things open for as long as possible and shut down schools on a case by case basis for a couple of weeks if when there is an outbreak.

They will probably capitulate on the wearing of masks in schools over the next week or so. I don't think they'll have much choice.

While the number of cases are rising at the moment, they are heavily concentrated in a few places. This will probably be line to continue with the plan to reopen schools.

Once September comes if schools reopen people will be travelling less everyday naturally. No more off to the seaside for a week. Hopefully that will also mean less chance of transmission....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

Thanks for your views guys! No active engagement is just soul destroying, that's how you experience science. Will follow management and what feels safe, just wanted to see if anyone else had guidelines. Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Alex86Eire wrote: »
    Also a science teacher. We were told no practical work this year by management. Only teacher demos allowed. I assume it'll be up to your school to call it. No mention of it in the official plan.

And yet, the document on teaching and learning states:
    It is essential that, right from the start of the school year, a broad range of active learning experiences is provided for all students. This should include:

•Prioritising practical lessons to enable students to demonstrate skills and knowledge developed during remote learning

•Providing learning experiences based on pair work and group work that support student interaction and engagement in meaning-making; this will help in achieving learning outcomes/objectives across the curriculum, particularly in the areas of language, mathematics, business, science and technology and the arts

How this ties in with health and safety advice is anyone's guess though.

What do you think?

I think you will be told that anything is possible, "where possible"

There is actually a line in the roadmap saying that music students can't share instruments but if they must then to give them a swipe down (I assume it was a wipe down they were going to say, whoever wrote it stopped mid sentence and never finished the paragraph. Maybe that was because they were spitting their tea out at the absurdity of what they were typing!)

It's basically a case of "You mustn't, unless you must. Then you can." :rolleyes:
    km79 wrote: »
    Again

If our start up days this August do not involve ICT instruction and support for those who struggled first time round I will be horrified.

If there isnt an emphasis made on getting all kids set up on whatever platforms we will be using and ironing out issues in that first week then we are taking the p1ss. Fair enough last time round but if we get back into the classroom for even 2 weeks, there is time to set them all up and explain your expectations etc.

I don't know what we are going to do if the schools close again though. I don't have kids so I'm okay, but some of my colleagues and good friends of mine in other sectors were at their wits end trying to WFH and look after kids. It's problematic opening up the schools but I do genuinely feel it is more problematic keeping them closed.

What do you think?

A perspex screen has been put on the teachers desks in our science labs. That's all the guidance we've been given. :rolleyes:

Once September comes if schools reopen people will be travelling less everyday naturally. No more off to the seaside for a week. Hopefully that will also mean less chance of transmission....

See I think the opposite. You'll have the mams who drop the kids to school and then go for breakfast/brunch to a cafe. Grandparents who do the school runs who now are out and about more by necessity. Alot of these may have been keeping their circles quite tight. Even if they went to the beach for a week they kept to themselves. I'm of the opinion that once schools are back there will be an even greater air that things are back to normal and this will lead to the further dropping of guards. My fear is this will lead to localised outbreaks within communities.

See I think the opposite. You'll have the mams who drop the kids to school and then go for breakfast/brunch to a cafe. Grandparents who do the school runs who now are out and about more by necessity. Alot of these may have been keeping their circles quite tight. Even if they went to the beach for a week they kept to themselves. I'm of the opinion that once schools are back there will be an even greater air that things are back to normal and this will lead to the further dropping of guards. My fear is this will lead to localised outbreaks within communities.

Oh I agree, I don't doubt that there will be localised outbreaks but hopefully there will be less chance of spreading it nationally if people are not travelling far from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I think the large number of teachers commuting big distances to Dublin may be an issue though. Most Dublin schools are full of teachers living in Kildare, Meath, Westmeath etc. They will be at risk of bringing infection from home up to Dublin, or from school in Dublin home to their local community.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

I think the large number of teachers commuting big distances to Dublin may be an issue though. Most Dublin schools are full of teachers living in Kildare, Meath, Westmeath etc. They will be at risk of bringing infection from home up to Dublin, or from school in Dublin home to their local community.

I was thinking this listening the CMO this evening. What happens if they lockdown Offaly for example and you teach in another county?

Already posts on twitter tonight from teachers who live in the counties surrounding Dublin worried about localised lockdowns and wondering how it might impact them.

khalessi wrote: »
    I was thinking this listening the CMO this evening. What happens if they lockdown Offaly for example and you teach in another county?

We will get the passes similar to the ones healthcare workers had during the lockdown. These will allow people to pass through any checkpoints they encounter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

A perspex screen has been put on the teachers desks in our science labs. That's all the guidance we've been given. :rolleyes:

There is no guidance in the Department documents on it sure ?
    That’s the point being made
    “Local arrangements “ so
    Then the schools take the blame
    Not good enough. Should not be accepted . Not seen the unions raise this particular issue . Or the lack of remote teaching guidelines

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

I am also hoping for some discussion and instruction on online learning when we go back. This is our chance to nail it down as a staff and make sure we are on the same page.

I wonder will those croke park days be in person though? There’s mention of staff meetings being online. A lot of us won’t have our own room to go to for a zoom meeting come 26th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

......Lead Worker Roles
    .....I see schools are providing “lead workers” who can be teaching or non-teaching staff,....teachers get 2 hrs off their timetables but can’t see any other details of compensation,for what could turn out to be a bit of hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I’m not a teacher. Reading this however i really do feel for you all. It looks like this is going to be a nightmare!

Wait until the first teacher contacts the virus..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

What happens if a teacher displays symptoms? Obviously organises to go for a test and stays home...

But getting results can take a week (or more)

Does that count as 7 days sick leave?

sandyxxx wrote: »
    ......Lead Worker Roles
    .....I see schools are providing “lead workers” who can be teaching or non-teaching staff,....teachers get 2 hrs off their timetables but can’t see any other details of compensation,for what could turn out to be a bit of hassle!

That's because there isn't any. Even before these were announced I maintained that there should have been a special AP1 or 2 post given to every school to cover something like this, just for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭derb12

What happens if a teacher displays symptoms? Obviously organises to go for a test and stays home...

I don’t know about the whole sick pay situation but test results seem to be quicker now. A friend got her result back within 36 hours last week (Dublin).

I know this isn't the point, but it just made me wonder.

Does anyone here have income continuance with Cornmarket and does anyone know if it can be used for any illness related to Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

See rte posting that schools in Germany had to close as a teacher tested positive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

derb12 wrote: »
    I don’t know about the whole sick pay situation but test results seem to be quicker now. A friend got her result back within 36 hours last week (Dublin).

Friend had to stay home from work tested on the MOnday or Tuesday and test results on the Friday, week out of work. That was Monaghan.

Advertisement