Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭EO2019

Are these going to be recorded similarity to the aptitude tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭natc

I wonder has anyone who placed outside top 500 for open in Dublin but inside top few hundred in interdepartmental been called for E-tray. Looks like up to possibly 500 were called from the open comp to the next stage but if interdepartmental were called the number was far less. Wonder what the reasoning for that would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Anonire

natc wrote: »
    I wonder has anyone who placed outside top 500 for open in Dublin but inside top few hundred in interdepartmental been called for E-tray. Looks like up to possibly 500 were called from the open comp to the next stage but if interdepartmental were called the number was far less. Wonder what the reasoning for that would be?

If they called 500 from the interd the people numbers 300 to 500 for example would bypass the people on the open even though there would have been people finish stronger than them on the open that hadn't been called. It's one interview for both panels so it doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭gestappo

Anonire wrote: »
    If they called 500 from the interd the people numbers 300 to 500 for example would bypass the people on the open even though there would have been people finish stronger than them on the open that hadn't been called. It's one interview for both panels so it doesn't matter.

This is not true.

If you accept to be interviewed, you're immediately taken off the other panel.

ETA: Apologies I misread the above post to mean County Panels instead of Open & Interdepartmental.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭MrsBean

gestappo wrote: »
    This is not true.

If you accept to be interviewed, you're immediately taken off the other panel.

Are you sure? I recently interviewed for a different open competition, was successful, and was given an OOM for both interdepartmental and open. Whichever they reach first will be my first offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭gestappo

MrsBean wrote: »
    Are you sure? I recently interviewed for a different open competition, was successful, and was given an OOM for both interdepartmental and open. Whichever they reach first will be my first offer.

Apologies, I misread it about County Panels instead of Open & Interdepartmental.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Marie20201

Hi everyone,

I got my invite for the etray yesterday. Can anyone recommend any practise ones as I have never done one before? I don't mind paying (as long as its not too obscene!)
    Sorry if this was asked before its hard to keep up with the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

So my OOM was 17XX. Am I definitely going to be sent an etray, or is it possible they might only send it to the top 500 or so for open in Dublin? I don't mind if they're doing it in batches or whatever but I'd just like to know if I should eventually expect an etray or whether to just not keep my hopes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 little mrs

I've just emailed PAS about other counties and the upcoming E-Tray and when will the 2019 Panel expire. This was the response..

For EO 2020, will be holding stage 2 testing (E-Tray exercise) for a limited number of Dublin stream candidates next month. We have no plans for the other locations at the minute.
    The EO 19 competition will remain open until such time that we are in a position to interview candidates from the EO 2020 competition.

Hope this is of some help to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

I placed in the 1800s for Dublin for this competition.

I am I right to assume I have absolutely zero chance to land a job? Or is there a glimmer of hope?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Fbjm wrote: »
    So my OOM was 17XX. Am I definitely going to be sent an etray, or is it possible they might only send it to the top 500 or so for open in Dublin? I don't mind if they're doing it in batches or whatever but I'd just like to know if I should eventually expect an etray or whether to just not keep my hopes up.
    Gus Ivey wrote: »
    I placed in the 1800s for Dublin for this competition.

I am I right to assume I have absolutely zero chance to land a job? Or is there a glimmer of hope?

Lads, read back a bit in the thread this isn't reddit :pac:

In 2018 they went down into the 4000s in OOM and recruited over 650 EOs.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

I'm late 600s and I was thinking the same. Must be 500 and under. Hopefully we in the second batch get called soon enough after.

Inside 500 and nothing here yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

Just did the practice etray there and didn't find it too helpful! It was too easy pretty much and nothing like what I suspect the real one will be like. You had to write an email reply in relation to an angry customer phone call, you had two examples of offering instructions to subordinates (both of which gave you the answer, lol) you also had an email query from an applicant re a non response from a colleague that you had to advise the best course of action in relation to. And finally you had a list of appropriate advice actions to a colleague you are supposed to be mentoring (there is no answer given to this one).

All in all you are advised to take forty minutes to complete, but they give you up to two hours! You'll finish it in fifteen minutes. There's no comparable pressure to the real thing I suspect. My advice to people is to get a hold of some proper etrays online but bear in mind the format will likely follow the example one but it will be much more rigorous and demanding.

I think the question setters like lulling people into a false sense of security with their soft ball examples!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Joekell

Has anyone appealed their results and been successful?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 allisgrand

Joekell wrote: »

Not this stage. You can try but it is an electronic test. The answers you gave cannot be disputed. Unless you have some other grounds! I have, in a different competition, appealed the etray and got a higher score but still did not pass. :(

Aleece2020 wrote: »
    Inside 500 and nothing here yet.

In other competitions they have called people based on the total score. For those that have been called, did they mention the total score?

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Aleece2020

allisgrand wrote: »
    In other competitions they have called people based on the total score. For those that have been called, did they mention the total score?

I haven't heard anything from them at all regarding total scores, OOMs being called etc.

I'll be absolutely devastated if I don't get called to the next round despite being within the top 500 in Dublin. The last campaign I heard they called well into the 3000s for interviews alone; so I'm trying to be optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Darren1881

I haven't heard anything from them at all regarding total scores, OOMs being called etc.

I'll be absolutely devastated if I don't get called to the next round despite being within the top 500 in Dublin. The last campaign I heard they called well into the 3000s for interviews alone; so I'm trying to be optimistic.

I wouldn't be too concerned this is just the first wave. There may be many that are unsuccessful with the etray and then may also fail at the interview stage. I'd say the chances you are brought to the next stage are very high you'll just have to be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 TommyBatatheon

If you're in the top 500 you'll be called for the next stage for sure. Do a good e-tray and you'll get an interview soon after too. Don't worry, you may have to wait a bit longer but you'll get your opportunity.

This is a long haul competition. Often people are called well over a year after the first stage. Certainly the top 500 will get called to the etray. It may just take some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Joekell wrote: »

Why would you appeal your results?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MonikaB

Skweefie wrote: »
    Im in late 500's for Dublin on open competition and I didnt get the etray familiarisation booklet. Batch must be 500 and under maybe?

I'm 300 Dublin interdepartmental and didn't get anything yet, not aure how big the batch is

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Darren1881

MonikaB wrote: »
    I'm 300 Dublin interdepartmental and didn't get anything yet, not aure how big the batch is

I was 245 on the interdepartmental for Dublin and also haven't heard anything so it seems to be smaller batches for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

Just did the practice etray it seemed ok but as said before the live test will obviously be much harder.

But at least you get a good background and feeling of what it will be like.

One downfall for me might be that emails coming in dont make a sound just a notification in top left hand corner. I tend it get stuck into a task and forget other things.

Good luck to everyone next week and to those still waiting hopefully things will move quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

Good luck to everyone doing their eTray next week.
    Please let us know how it goes and what you think 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Jay328 wrote: »
    I tend it get stuck into a task and forget other things.

Given my experience of some of the EOs in my place, you're not alone in monotasking! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Jay328

Given my experience of some of the EOs in my place, you're not alone in monotasking! :pac:
    Hopefully I will be able to multitask in live test. Usually I can rely on the outlook notification sound so I can shift my focus and prioritize important emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 briancummins79

gestappo wrote: »
    Info Booklet for anyone interested.

Thanks for the familiarisation information.
    My sister in law is an EO and said the e-tray is tough. It's a lot of information being thrown at you quickly , to see how well you can cope with it. It's all about prioritising the work and knowing which person to answer first etc. She said it actually does roughly simulate a typical hour of her job.
    I notice it didn't say anything about having to use the camera again.
    Does anyone know if we have to use the camera like in the previous test? I presume we do
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Gus Ivey

Thanks for the familiarisation information.
    My sister in law is an EO and said the e-tray is tough. It's a lot of information being thrown at you quickly , to see how well you can cope with it. It's all about prioritising the work and knowing which person to answer first etc. She said it actually does roughly simulate a typical hour of her job.
    I notice it didn't say anything about having to use the camera again.
    Does anyone know if we have to use the camera like in the previous test? I presume we do
    Best of luck

Do you mean you should always be replying to the most senior person first?

Or probably it should be about striking a balance between urgent matters and responding to senior management?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Josuke

Anyone get sent an e-tray for Limerick or Galway? Looks like it could be all over for me at the 150 mark

Advertisement