Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2020 Executive Officer Civil Service

Options
1214215216217218220»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Dublintigger

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sbibii121

I've joined AGS 3 years ago as an EO and actually enjoy it. I've had opportunities to work in different areas and because of this gained experience which assisted me in a promotion to HEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 thisprocessisnuts

Is anyone coming from private sector and struggling with their placement?

i feel there is a ‘cover your arse’ culture resulting in extra work. some people do nothing and bring morale down for rest of team. Employees not taking you serious as their manager . Ask them to do anything and they complain and don’t do what you ask. They are guarded with what information they share. Driving change is almost impossible especially when around ‘lifers’. I’m pretty easy going and worked in private sector as a manager, never had issues with staff motivation &taking on work.

im gobsmacked by amount of admin and lack of procedures. Feel like I’m going back in time.

the amount of people pulling sick days. And not just one or 2 but weeks&months at a time.

really struggling, not sure It’s for me long term .

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

Like yourself I came from the private sector. My placement is interesting enough, and we're busy. I guess you have been unlucky and have been placed in a department with a poor culture. From what I can see people that have been promoted to HEO fairly quickly where I work are those that have worked in the private sector before joining the Civil service, so you'll have a good chance to jump up a grade after the 2 years service. If you don't think the Civil service is for you long term and you're not long in the job that could be really demotivating so might be best to start looking for a switch back to the private sector. Id rather not say publically where I got placed but PM me if you like

• Registered Users Posts: 13 thisprocessisnuts

I’m so motivated and see and enjoy a challenge. It’s the mindset in people there long term that I am mainly struggling with. They just don’t want to know. It’s taken so long to get into the civil service I don’t want to give up yet . I’ll give it the year I think.

be great if you could pm me the area you are in and I’ll look at a transfer. I’m not sure how to pm on boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭divillybit

@thisprocessisnuts you might have to change your profile privacy settings to allow users to PM you. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

. dlete this my mistake

Post edited by solidasarock on

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Marls17

Hi all, just wondering would anyone on here be able to tell me if they were on the Louth panel batch 2 and oom 4 or above if they were placed off this competition?? Thanks in advance for any info

• Registered Users Posts: 15 MWManifest2023

Hi, I have been also allocated the Dept of Justice. Stephens Green, Dublin, but dont start until early June, just wondering have you settled in , is there WFH options, any insights :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭BSK

Open Stream OOM is what number you placed on the panel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 AlpineAdventurer

Hi All,

If you're top of a panel in your chosen location (OOM 1) and you've been asked for eligibility (education) and location preferences within your county, does that mean you're basically guaranteed an offer? It sounds like it but ...

In one of the emails it said "before we can begin pre employment checks we need to check your eligibility for this competition" - fyi this (eligibility and location preferences) all happened within a couple of days of the interview results being released (last ten days)

The required information (location and education) was then emailed to clearance mailbox and receipt was confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭apkmbarry

I'd definitely consider not bringing up a thread from 2020.

To answer your question, there may NOT be a job ready BUT they are having you on hand for when there is. You're being called into clearance, where they'll Garda vet etc and essnetially have you ready to be assigned when a position does come up. Now on the other hand, there could be, I'm just giving the other scenario too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AlpineAdventurer

Thanks for the info! Apologies, I meant to post in 2022 thread! Admin - please delete!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭apkmbarry

Yeah being called into Clearance is a good sign. Generally anyone called into clearance will be given a position, the timeline is just not anything they can confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jmd1234

Hi, has anyone hear been allocated to the courts service as an EO?

I’ve just been allocated im looking for some information, and honest opinions.

Will flexitime be available? Also am I expected to work late when court is on?

would really appreciate if any could kindly let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭336699

An EO in the Courts Service is a Registrar/Court Clerk. Taken from the careers section of the Courts website -

• Registrar/Court Clerk - The Registrar/Court Clerk sits in front of the judge and records orders made by the judge. He/she is responsible for administrative matters and is in charge of court documents and exhibits. They also record the names of witnesses, swears in the jury and records the decision of the case.

This is taken from the Information Booklet for the recent Open competition for appointment to the position of Court Registrar Executive Officer Grade -

2.THE ROLE

The Courts Service is currently seeking people to join their team as Court Registrars within the Family, Criminal, and Civil court offices. Being a Court Registrar offers a unique insight into the running of the Irish courts system. This role presents dynamic and fulfilling challenge where each day brings new experiences.

The role of Court Registrar is key to the efficient running of the court and requires good organisation skills. As the official record keeper for the Court, this includes providing support pre-court, in-court and post-court to the Judge and the parties.

The Registrar is the key link between the Court Office and the Court. The Court Registrar is responsible for communication between all parties, feeding back on issues and working with their office team to ensure the administration of Justice. 

Teamwork is a key feature of this role. In this role, you will gain invaluable exposure to court practice and procedure, legislation, litigation, and decision making.

In some offices Court Registrars will manage staff. This will include assigning tasks, probation, performance management and training and development. 

The experience gained as a Court Registrar is transferable and beneficial to afulfilling and rewarding career within the Courts Service.

There is no hybrid or remote working. On occasion you may be expected to travel to other court offices within reason.

3.KEY RESPONSIBILITIES  

• Attend court as Registrar and is responsible for all associated court work. Such work includes drawing and perfecting enforceable Court Orders & warrants,making accurate written notes of daily court proceedings in a timely and efficient manner and with a high degree of accuracy. 

• Networking and liaising with Court stakeholders including, the Judiciary, An Garda Siochana, the Prison Service, members of the legal profession and members of the public in the provision of an efficient user-friendly service.

• Provide support to the judiciary in the daily management of a wide variety of lists and hearings.

• Maintain the record of Court outcomes. This information is essential for the effective management of court records, to advise court users and to support provision of management information and statistics, which all supports the administration of justice.

• Operate all courtroom technology including Videolink, Video Conferencing and Digital Audio Recording (DAR) within the court room when required.

• Administer the oath to witnesses, interpreters and juries.

• Develop an in-depth knowledge of the Courts Service Modernisation Programme and contribute to its growth. This will include:

I. attending workshops, 

II. being a member of project groups, 

III. carry out stakeholder engagement, service design, testing.  

I don’t work in the Courts Service but my understanding is that you are expected to work late while the court is in session and may have to work afterwards too.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Jmd1234

Thank you so much for the reply

I was hoping it would be in the court office, I really would feel out of my comfort zone doing that role

Advertisement