Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

polesheep wrote: »
    So if I buy a new car and it turns out to be a lemon I shouldn't pursue the car dealer as it's entirely my responsibility for having decided to buy that car?

That's the worst analogy I've ever came across in the context of talking about something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    It's behind a paywall

Can you paste?

Weird, it was accessible to me when I copied the link. Wonder what happened there. Now I can't copy it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Weird, it was accessible to me when I copied the link. Wonder what happened there. Now I can't copy it!

I just got a "you have been blocked" message from a Boards bot for trying to paste the article here too

Strange!

I'm getting this when I tried pasting the Wall Street Journal article

I'm presuming it has some code a Boards bot doesn't like
    You have been blocked

Why have I been blocked?

This website is using a security service to protect itself from online attacks. The action you just performed triggered the security solution. There are several actions that could trigger this block including submitting a certain word or phrase, a SQL command or malformed data.

Best to just read the article here http://archive.ph/Id9tw

It has some great points and data

(3 min read max too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

US2 wrote: »
    Scrap the vaccine so. no point going ahead with it if you can still get reinfected

Right get on to the lads at Oxford so. Make sure to let them know you're from boards.ie, pull rank a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭majcos

There are numerous epidemiological reports listing ethnicity as a risk factor. C-19 is strongly suspected at this point to disproportionately affect black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) population. This can be linked to socioeconomic factors but has also been shown within the specific grouping of healthcare workers to have more severely affected BAME staff compared to Caucasian staff so cannot entirely be explained by socioeconomic factors. Over 60% of doctors in UK are white but over 90% of doctors who have died in UK are BAME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

cnocbui wrote: »
    But it's not out of the DM, now is it? :rolleyes:

You do realize you posted a daily mail article link?

All good, valid points Rain

But the point still stands that the Irish get no Vitamin D from the sun for half the year

So we have to top it up from September to March with supplements and a better Vitamin D led diet
    I think Rain is referring to the even higher incidence of vitamin D deficiency in people of darker skin tone who live in Ireland. Black and Asians get even less vitamin D than the white people living here as the high melanin in their skin blocks the production of Vitamin D compounded by now living in a country with less sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

majcos wrote: »
    There are numerous epidemiological reports listing ethnicity as a risk factor. C-19 is strongly suspected at this point to disproportionately affect black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) population. This can be linked to socioeconomic factors but has also been shown within the specific grouping of healthcare workers to have more severely affected BAME staff compared to Caucasian staff so cannot entirely be explained by socioeconomic factors. Over 60% of doctors in UK are white but over 90% of doctors who have died in UK are BAME.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/04/health/coronavirus-neanderthals.html

Possible genetic connection..

A stretch of DNA linked to Covid-19 was passed down from Neanderthals 60,000 years ago, according to a new study.

Scientists don’t yet know why this particular segment increases the risk of severe illness from the coronavirus. But the new findings, which were posted online on Friday and have not yet been published in a scientific journal, show how some clues to modern health stem from ancient history.

“This interbreeding effect that happened 60,000 years ago is still having an impact today,” said Joshua Akey, a geneticist at Princeton University who was not involved in the new study.

This piece of the genome, which spans six genes on Chromosome 3, has had a puzzling journey through human history, the study found. The variant is now common in Bangladesh, where 63 percent of people carry at least one copy. Across all of South Asia, almost one-third of people have inherited the segment.

Elsewhere, however, the segment is far less common. Only 8 percent of Europeans carry it, and just 4 percent have it in East Asia. It is almost completely absent in Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

petes wrote: »
    That's the worst analogy I've ever came across in the context of talking about something else.

When he dries his eyes a bit that'll be you *ignored* next.

• Advertisement

Over 60% of doctors in UK are white but over 90% of doctors who have died in UK are BAME.

That's a mental stat. They're doctors, so a poor income doesn't come into it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

I heard a doctor from Pakistan say on BBC news that the black and brown doctors were sent to attend the covid ward, while the white doctors were giving NHS advice over the phone.

He was very upset about it and I don't blame him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Poor income generally doesn't factor into nosocomial infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I heard a doctor from Pakistan say on BBC news that the black and brown doctors were sent to attend the covid ward, while the white doctors were giving NHS advice over the phone.

He was very upset about it and I don't blame him.

Link

Miike wrote: »
    Poor income generally doesn't factor into nosocomial infections.

Poor income factors into living conditions in many countries

And Covid loves to spread in cramped living conditions where there's, for example, far too many people in one bedroom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Poor income factors into living conditions in many countries

And Covid loves to spread in cramped living conditions where there's, for example, far too many people in one bedroom

Sorry perhaps I've not been clear; in relation to the doctors acquiring COVID19 - It happens in a hospital / clinical environment (nosocomical infection) and income doesn't play a role in hospital acquired infections (generally speaking).

Right. You’d hope poorer income would not be the explanation for a difference within a specific group as income should be the same but this may not be entirely the case. I don’t have any specifics/figures on it but it is possible that the BAME staff are in lower level medical positions compared to white colleagues and therefore more exposed to patients directly. Sadly there has been some accusations from the BAME medical staff of poorer access to PPE and pressure to do more direct frontline duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,816 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    You do realize you posted a daily mail article link?

So what? You don't seem to know how news on the internet works or what 'source' means. The DM is not the source of this news, they are just one of many relay stations for the original source, all echoing and reporting on the original article - which if you read the article, the DM has link to:
    The Times of Israel reported.
    Which apart from telling you the source of the article, is also a link to it: https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-doctor-diagnosed-with-virus-after-apparently-recovering-from-covid-19

So yes, I realise I posted a link to a DM article, and I don't see a problem with that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,577 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Does the post count fall off match the rate of daily cases. It seemed a few months ago we have a new thread every few days. The R number of posts may be a reliable indicator of the current spread of the virus?
    I reckon there's a fairly constant rate of traffic across the main thread and the relaxation of restrictions one. The Restrictions thread has seen a drop-off in posts as the restrictions have been relaxed, but the main thread has picked up the slack. Thread XIX lasted 22 days versus 33 days for thread XXIII. All pointing towards a second wave....:eek:

There is also a higher risk of hypertension in black population. 1.8 times as likely to be hypertensive compared to Caucasians as per this paper

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/hypertensionaha.110.163196

This has been related to ACE gene

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0204127

And ACE gene which has been linked to C-19.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1684118220301092

• Advertisement

African originals are more susceptible to hypertension, which is also linked to the ACE2 receptor: listen from 13:50

https://www.thirteen.org/openmind/science/the-pandemics-prophet/6416/

Given underlying hypertension is probably the most significant risk factor for SARS-2 related death...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Ha, ha, ha. Go tell it to those who have been reinfected.

Winning the Euromillions is highly unlikely, but guess what?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

HSE Daily Operations Update

14 in hospitals, no change.
    1 admission/confirmed case in Drogheda today and 2 overnight in Vincents and Tallaght.
    6 in ICU, down by 1.
    1 death in the past 24 hours.
    4 being ventilated, down by 1.

Testing positive again does not necessarily mean you are infected or infectious to others again. The viral PCR swabs can detect ‘remnant’ RNA particles for many many weeks in some patients even though they may no longer be infectious.

Publication in Nature showed virus could not be grown from the nose and throat after day 8 even when the viral nucleic acid could still be found, i.e. swabs were still positive.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2196-x?fbclid=IwAR0dxTczGh6zOK3e0mvBEtNPOIdO5rK9na6RNpd2LPS5cCorbiViL8a9XlU

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

In terms of how infections and conditions can affect different people, different ethnicities and people with co morbidities, the role of precision medicine with focus on data analytics, computational modelling and utilisation of AI is key for developing better treatments and better patient outcomes.

This is becoming increasingly important and is changing the way we treat people from cancer to diabetes to viruses , even on a singular level, which can have an impact on quality of life and outcomes. The approach of a one size fits all approach has it's limitations.Some great research programs tackling this both here and internationally at the moment.

How much of your 49.5 million are you willing to donate to research?

In terms of how infections can effect different people, different ethnicities and people with co morbidities, the role of precision medicine with focus on data analytics, computational modelling and utilisation of AI is key for developing better treatments and better patients is becoming increasingly important and is changing the way we treat people from cancer to diabetes to viruses which can have an impact on quality of life and morbidity. The approach of a one size fits all approach has it's limitations and this field if medicine is a rapidly expanding one.
    Yes. Medicine should become eventually more tailored to the individual patient so better treatments with less side effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Yes. Medicine should become eventually more tailored to the individual patient so better treatments with less side effects.

Yes definitely, basically a systems biology approach, no one person is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭Ardent

There is also a higher risk of hypertension in black population. 1.8 times as likely to be hypertensive compared to Caucasians as per this paper

https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/full/10.1161/hypertensionaha.110.163196

This has been related to ACE gene

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0204127

And ACE gene which has been linked to C-19.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1684118220301092

There was concern for a time that blood pressure medication might be responsible for severe covid symptoms. However, multiple medical and scientific reports are showing that blood pressure medication is actually beneficial against covid. The current thought behind the reason for this is that the increased ACE2 receptors lead the disease away from the receptors in the lungs, effectively sending it up a cul-de-sac.

Here's a recent NYT article on it:
    http://archive.ph/foba2

Regarding severe illness in BAME folks, the widely accepted view behind the cause of this is vitamin D deficiency.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement