Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XX-26,644 in ROI (1,772 deaths) 6,064 in NI (556 deaths) (08/08)Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Seamai wrote: »
    Because you wouldn't find it.
    It was weeks ago, as i said i couldn’t be bothered or care for that matter. I said what i wanted to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

is_that_so wrote: »
    Is that travelling into Ireland, within Ireland or both?

Within

• Registered Users Posts: 14,375 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I know what unfortunately means, it seemed a little out of context when in the same sentence you were condeming travel to green list countries abroad and throughout Ireland.

I don't think people should travel, but I'd rather it was a decision made and left to people's choice and personal responsibility, because the alternative - a government that has the authority to stop people travelling under any circumstance - is a hallmark of a totalitarian state and we aren't there yet, fortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Micky 32 wrote: »
    It was weeks ago, as i said i couldn’t be bothered or care for that matter. I said what i wanted to say.

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't think people should travel, but I'd rather it was a decision made and left to people's choice and personal responsibility, because the alternative - a government that has the authority to stop people travelling under any circumstance - is a hallmark of a totalitarian state and we aren't there yet, fortunately.

In a way, we are. If you are a public servant you cannot travel to a 'green' country on holiday without being forced to take two weeks annual leave upon your return.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

In these uncertain times at least we can rejoice with this .........

https://twitter.com/RTEOne/status/1285964381227024391

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Ryanair just send me a notification. "YOU HAVE GOT THE GREEN LIGHT TO TRAVEL" and a list of prices for flights to Malta, Italy etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

polesheep wrote: »
    In a way, we are. If you are a public servant you cannot travel to a 'green' country on holiday without being forced to take two weeks annual leave upon your return.
    I can't see the unions letting that go unchallenged tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jmm111

Advice is for Normal Precautions if travelling to one of the 15 countries

Following a meeting of the Cabinet this evening, the Government has agreed that the following locations be included as Normal Precautions on the Department of Foreign Affairs Travel Advice: Malta, Finland, Norway, Italy, Hungary, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Cyprus, Slovakia, Greece, Greenland, Gibraltar, Monaco, and San Marino.

Anyone arriving into Ireland from these countries will not have to restrict their movements. Passengers from any other country outside of those with a Normal Precautions advisory are asked to restrict their movements for 14 days.

The list will be reviewed on a fortnightly basis, based on advice from officials including public health experts.

statesaver wrote: »
    In these uncertain times at least we can rejoice with this .........

https://twitter.com/RTEOne/status/1285964381227024391

I knew COVID had a purpose

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

So the Green List thing is a completely pointless exercise

But!

What if someone goes on a holiday to Spain and their boss is aware of that. Is a company legally obliged to ask them to not return for 2 weeks after they return?

Too much grey area again by our soft "government"

They're like a dithering oul wan on too many matters; masks and travel included

In a way, we are.If you are a public servant you cannot travel to a 'green' country on holiday without being forced to take two weeks annual leave upon your return.

No we're not.

That's a choice people can make for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,901 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Yet more evidence infection might not confer immunity, leading to re-infection:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8549517/Israeli-doctor-diagnosed-coronavirus-TWICE.html
    A doctor in Israel has been diagnosed with Covid-19 twice, months apart and after testing negative in between the two swabs, according to local media.

The medic, who had been working at Sheba Medical Center in the city of Ramat Gan, four miles east of Tel Aviv, reportedly recovered from her first bout of coronavirus.

She had tested positive in April but recovered from the illness, which has infected around 55,000 in Israel, and then tested negative twice in May and June.

But this month, after coming into contact with an infected patient, the unnamed doctor has tested positive for Covid-19 again.

The case is one of a number of possible 'reinfections' that raise questions about the immunity people develop after catching the coronavirus, and whether people can get it more than once.

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    So the Green List thing is a completely pointless exercise

But!

What if someone goes on a holiday to Spain and their boss is aware of that. Is a company legally obliged to ask them to not return for 2 weeks after they return?

Too much grey area again by our soft "government"

They're like a dithering oul wan on too many matters; masks and travel included

Place I work for has taken the view that you are making yourself unavailable for work unless you can show it’s essential. I do know of someone who has been approved to go visit sick parent and will be on paid leave when they return, but others who are going abroad and have been told they wont

Same where I work as well. Anyone who travels abroad is taking a two weeks without pay sabbatical when they return.

cnocbui wrote: »
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8549517/Israeli-doctor-diagnosed-coronavirus-TWICE.html

Still to see a case when someone got ill for the second time. As far as I know antibodies confer immunity and t-cells resistance. So if you did not develop antibodies you may catch the virus again but t- cells deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Santy2015

My company will enforce annual leave to quarantine on anyone that leaves the country green list or no green list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

Still to see a case when someone got ill for the second time. As far as I know antibodies confer immunity and t-cells resistance. So if you did not develop antibodies you may catch the virus again but t- cells deal with it

I certainly wouldn't trust a word out of the daily mail anyway. Theyd put an article about reinfection up and then two articles down have one about how x% of the population is naturally immune or something.

Place I work for has taken the view that you are making yourself unavailable for work unless you can show it’s essential

So your workplace is enforcing 2 weeks of quarantine at home after a non essential holiday before you can return to the workplace?

cnocbui wrote: »

Scrap the vaccine so. no point going ahead with it if you can still get reinfected

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Arghus wrote: »
    No we're not.

That's a choice people can make for themselves.

Nope. Some people wouldn't have any annual leave left. Therefore it will be two weeks at their own expense. Most people couldn't afford to lose two weeks wages, so they have no choice but to cancel their holiday and not travel. It's an underhanded way for the government to say "You cannot travel".

So your workplace is enforcing 2 weeks of quarantine at home after a non essential holiday before you can return to the workplace?

Yes, and if you don’t have the holidays to cover it, you won’t be paid. If the trip is deemed essential you will still have to quarantine but will be paid

you dont have to tell your employer if your leaving the country, how are they to know ?

Yes, and if you don’t have the holidays to cover it, you won’t be paid. If the trip is deemed essential you will still have to quarantine but will be paid

Proper order from your boss there to keep the rest of you safe. Fair play to them

Is that a rule for people who go to non Green List countries? Or is it enforced for any country they holiday in?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Public servants have been told the same even people already working at home.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40016498.html

US2 wrote: »
    you dont have to tell your employer if your leaving the country, how are they to know ?

Everyone has been “trained” to the company policy. If they were to find out I would say they could have grounds for dismissal.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    I certainly wouldn't trust a word out of the daily mail anyway. Theyd put an article about reinfection up and then two articles down have one about how x% of the population is naturally immune or something.

But it's not out of the DM, now is it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,689 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

US2 wrote: »

They won't but guess personal responsibility comes into it. And if you said you were staying in Ireland and came back tanned after a week of rain here, might be fairly obvious :pac:

I have seen a case of an American woman who was ill, got better, then got ill again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,522 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Nope. Some people wouldn't have any annual leave left. Therefore it will be two weeks at their own expense. Most people couldn't afford to lose two weeks wages, so they have no choice but to cancel their holiday and not travel. It's an underhanded way for the government to say "You cannot travel".

Holidays are non essential travel. That has been clear from day one. Nothing underhand - they have been delivering this message for months .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement