Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Lads have cows in by night out by day, jaypers the sh!ttin their doing! Is it the same with all herds atm?

My cows would **** for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

In the parlour their terrible atm, just wondering is it normal atm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Ha, was milking with the brother last night it was like a game of dodgeball!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Toetohand

Dispersal sale- I’m just looking for advice on dispersal of herd. 50 cows with average EBI of 160. What’s the best route to go with them? Mart privately or with Grasstec or similar company. ( really don’t want private route due to hassle, covid etc)
    We had hoped to wait and sell them next April but due to circumstances they may have to go sooner. Scanning done and herd test November. They may have to go after that.
    Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Toetohand wrote: »
    Dispersal sale- I’m just looking for advice on dispersal of herd. 50 cows with average EBI of 160. What’s the best route to go with them? Mart privately or with Grasstec or similar company. ( really don’t want private route due to hassle, covid etc)
    We had hoped to wait and sell them next April but due to circumstances they may have to go sooner. Scanning done and herd test November. They may have to go after that.

I'd probably go with grasstec . A neighbour went with them last year & was very happy. Their net is so wide, if you sell in your local mart the pool can be small. They're well able to charge but everything is done for you.

• Advertisement

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I'd probably go with grasstec . A neighbour went with them last year & was very happy. Their net is so wide, if you sell in your local mart the pool can be small. They're well able to charge but everything is done for you.

Thanks Duke.Any idea what there commission or rates are?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭Grueller

To be honest ebi is quite good and there are loads of new entrants knocking about this year. I would put up an ad for the whole herd as one lot explicitly stating that it will be split under no circumstances. I know I would have been all over that deal last year.

Grueller wrote: »
    To be honest ebi is quite good and there are loads of new entrants knocking about this year. I would put up an ad for the whole herd as one lot explicitly stating that it will be split under no circumstances. I know I would have been all over that deal last year.

Thanks Grueller. Very genuine herd couple of old timers pulling EBI down. Would you advertise through Grasstec? Tbh putting a value on them ourselves is an issue. I’d love to see them go as a herd- make it easier on man and beast.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks Grueller. Very genuine herd couple of old timers pulling EBI down. Would you advertise through Grasstec? Tbh putting a value on them ourselves is an issue. I’d love to see them go as a herd- make it easier on man and beast.

A neighbour here paid 1350 for in-calf heifers recently if that’s any type of reference. Not sure of EBI.

It’s no use to you but I’ll be in the market for 15 of what you’re selling this time next year

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I think Grasstec is something like 5% commission on each side? Don't quote me on that, but it certainly isn't cheap. Very good service and stress free through. Donedeal your other route, you can easily enough get the animals valued privately, good few lads doing this for TB animals the whole time, 13/14/1500 in around what I'd expect however could be more or less depending on the stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Don't forget about David Clarke livestock.

He deals in large dairy herds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Depending on part of the country, a well advertised mart sale may do well esp for a dispersal sale.
    May be worth selling any lower value stock separately earlier, older stock etc that way the main bunch can have a higher average.
    I guess putting a value on the herd ye would be happy with and then deciding which route to go with by achieving it. If grasstec can get ye what ye want after commission is taken ye would both be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

You'd have nothing to loose by talking to them anyway. They seem to be a fairly sound bunch. They appear to be dealing in a fairly large amount of animals so I'm sure that they'd be able to give you a reasonably accurate estimate as to what they'd be able to get for them and you could then decide how to proceed from there

Thanks Duke.Any idea what there commission or rates are?

I think its 4%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I think its 4%.

2% buyer 2% seller afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭Grueller

If it's any help a man locally to here bought 8 heifers last week with average EBI of €190.

He gave €1550 for the ones in calf to sexed semen and €1500 for the ones in calf to Angus. All calving from 28 January to 14 February.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Probably a summer of heavy wet covers. You should see what it does to sheep....:rolleyes:

On a related note - what are the chances of buying 2nd or 3rd lactation cows this time next year, or in Jan/Feb/March any year?

Are there always some few around? Or would you be very lucky to find them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A bit more from Bruce Thompson and dung beetles.
    https://twitter.com/Friesian_man/status/1321017874274750464?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A bit more from Bruce Thompson

He's a gas card! :D

He's done more to raise awareness of dung beetles in Ireland among the beneficiaries of dung beetles than anyone came before him.

And done great work highlighting what a Nuffield scholarship can mean.
    Other years you wouldn't even hear tell of a Nuffield scholars work unless you were in the Nuffield circle.

And all in a difficult year.. (with a few puns thrown in).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

2 of the manhole lids slipped into the slurry tank here today, and very near miss when I left one wide open, and all the milkers weren't locked into their paddock this morning and ran into the yard. Ffs Tim go buy a whole new set of covers and stop pricking around like this before luck runs out.

Anyone waiting to do the Nutrient Use Efficiency and Soil Fertility course this year, it's going to be online this year and you can still book your place with Teagasc.

Just received notification of our ones next week.

Anyone waiting to do the Nutrient Use Efficiency and Soil Fertility course this year, it's going to be online this year and you can still book your place with Teagasc.

Can anyone attend or do you need to be a Teagasc client?

Can anyone attend or do you need to be a Teagasc client?

No idea, Siamsa. Afaik, we have to pay for the course but I haven't asked when it's due. If you ring your local Teagasc office, they should be able to sort you with a link for it as there's no limits on zoom courses. The price though, I have no idea of, I have to do the course either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

No idea, Siamsa. Afaik, we have to pay for the course but I haven't asked when it's due. If you ring your local Teagasc office, they should be able to sort you with a link for it as there's no limits on zoom courses. The price though, I have no idea of, I have to do the course either way.

It's 90 quid, it's for farms in derogation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Clear-All-1-scaled_690x450_acf_cropped.jpg

Just wondering if anyone has something like this installed. Dry dung tends to just sit on the slat. Looks like a good idea.

The grid moves back and forth with the track.

Housed the first lot today. About half the weanling heifers broke out a few days ago, led by the two Jex witches I was unlucky to have here.

They broke and tore down about 5 sections of wire bringing them in to separate out the two leaders so now they can all fecking stay inside till 2045:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭straight

I've to do a sustainability and environmental course over 2 days. 5 hours in total and 90 euro. Fecking money racket. It's farmers that should be giving the sustainability course and not taking it. Will have to set up a zoom course for my father too and he'll have to pay another 90 euro. No way he's going to pay attention to a course for 2.5 hours though. Leave it play away on mute on the table I'd say.

straight wrote: »
    I've to do a sustainability and environmental course over 2 days. 5 hours in total and 90 euro. Fecking money racket. It's farmers that should be giving the sustainability course and not taking it. Will have to set up a zoom course for my father too and he'll have to pay another 90 euro. No way he's going to pay attention to a course for 2.5 hours though. Leave it play away on mute on the table I'd say.

All courses nowadays seem designed more to support as many off farm jobs as possible. Tbh, I have no idea wtf is going on in a lot of the schemes because I'd be a few months just reading the terms and conditions, never mind actually doing the work required on the scheme:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭1373

timple23 wrote: »
    Clear-All-1-scaled_690x450_acf_cropped.jpg

Just wondering if anyone has something like this installed. Dry dung tends to just sit on the slat. Looks like a good idea.

The grid moves back and forth with the track.

That looks like it is outside of where there is livestock . Might be hard on feet if installed inside

Advertisement