Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭straight

Yer dreaming lads.primary producers don't get paid all over the world. Just accept it and don't be driving yerselves mad. I see Tesla made 380 million dollars (I think) but none of it came from selling cars. They made their money by selling carbon credits to other companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭Water John

So they want your milk, beef and sh1te as cheap as possible.

Water John wrote: »
    So they want your milk, beef and sh1te as cheap as possible.

And they're getting it. My wife's job is subsidising my farming.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

straight wrote: »
    And they're getting it. My wife's job is subsidising my farming.

And your farming and cheap oil have been subsidizing the world's population for the last 50 years.
    One of those two is about to change however.

And your farming and cheap oil have been subsidizing the world's population for the last 50 years.
    One of those two is about to change however.

Remember the bio ethanol in the states when it was made law to include so much of it in fuel. It must be nearly 10 years ago. Food became scarce and there was food riots in the third world countries and the law was reversed. At least I think it was reversed. I'd love farmers to be able to get into the energy sector but somebody has to produce the food.

• Advertisement

The lisduff sale is on tomorrow in corrin mart. Streamed on LSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

The lisduff sale is on tomorrow in corrin mart. Streamed on LSL.

Serious herd there had eyes on 3 lots but my herd has become restricted because an ainmal I sold in March was killed last week and had legions .....have to do full herd test now .will watch sale on line

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Serious herd there had eyes on 3 lots but my herd has become restricted because an ainmal I sold in March was killed last week and had legions .....have to do full herd test now .will watch sale on line

I'm short on replacements this year and am tempted but I've a closed herd and am a bit nervous about buying in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭alps

Check your herd risk status after this.. Friend of mine went from C10 to C1 over this exact scenario, even though he tested clear after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I'm short on replacements this year and am tempted but I've a closed herd and am a bit nervous about buying in.

How would they compare to the type of cows in your herd now or what you want to have the future
    Super herd of cows no doubt but they wouldnt fit in with our herd here any way
    Herd full of little goats here :D

• Advertisement

How would they compare to the type of cows in your herd now or what you want to have the future
    Super herd of cows no doubt but they wouldnt fit in with our herd here any way
    Herd full of little goats here :D

They'd fit in alright. If I had them I'd cross them back with a smaller Fr. I'd be interested in having a couple in the herd to know how their performance compares to my own girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Yeah, that's the kind of one here. Mine is the bones of 30 years old now and I bought it from some place in Cork making them.

They're good for small areas but you'll know about it in bigger areas fairly soon. We just use it for a small holding yard in the exit from the parlour that's too narrow for the tractor and scraper. We used to use it for an isolated cubicle house that was only half stocked but it would have to be done twice a day or you'd be all day pushing and grunting to get it sorted.

Sorry I'd say it's o Neills in balinadee. They make the o Neill feeders too. Give them a buzz, I'd say they'll sell you a rubber for the scraper no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Sorry I'd say it's o Neills in balinadee. They make the o Neill feeders too. Give them a buzz, I'd say they'll sell you a rubber for the scraper no bother.

That's them alright!

Thanks for that, couldn't think of the name at all:rolleyes:

They'd fit in alright. If I had them I'd cross them back with a smaller Fr. I'd be interested in having a couple in the herd to know how their performance compares to my own girls.

I was there a few years ago doing a hoof trimming course, lovely animals and well looked after.

I'd be a bit like yourself, a bit wary of buying in from outside. My big fear would be bringing in mortellaro, that would absolutely wreck my head:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭alps

That's them alright!

Thanks for that, couldn't think of the name at all:rolleyes:

Ask them if they sell a white blade replacement for the large scraper? It's a soft type of rubber/silicone or something, but they do it for the small scraper and the ease of pushing along the ground is quiet incredible...absolutely unbelievable until you get to handle it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

alps wrote: »
    Ask them if they sell a white blade replacement for the large scraper? It's a soft type of rubber/silicone or something, but they do it for the small scraper and the ease of pushing along the ground is quiet incredible...absolutely unbelievable until you get to handle it..

I've been meaning to try one of those! Doesn't look like they have it on website for wheelie scraper. On a side note, am I right in saying that was Caroline O'Neill in journal last week as a grass 10 finalist?

In Texas, farmers with more than 300 animal units (200 mature dairy cows) on one site in certain areas are required to do an 8 hour course on animal waste management when they apply for their license to keep said stock.
    Then an additional 8 hours is required every 24 months.

https://frontporchnewstexas.com/2020/10/23/2020-northeast-texas-fall-dairy-conference-scheduled-for-october-28th/

They should have just signed up to Bord Bia.

Will Armitage is at the very top of his game.
    Milking 1,200 cows in an organic system.

https://www.fwi.co.uk/livestock/grassland-management/how-dairy-farmer-gets-14t-ha-dm-of-grass-with-minimum-inputs

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Lisduff sale postponed due to technical difficulties with on-line job. Disaster poor John OSullivan has to haul all the cows back home and get them milked. The stress on man and beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Lisduff sale postponed due to technical difficulties with on-line job. Disaster poor John OSullivan has to haul all the cows back home and get them milked. The stress on man and beast!
    LSL is down nationwide. 16 livestock marts and one machinery sale affected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,241 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What's the plan now? The monamore sale is on next Saturday

whelan2 wrote: »
    What's the plan now? The monamore sale is on next Saturday

They'll have to reopen the marts. Today was an animal welfare issue on top of everything else and it's bound to happen again. It looks like the system can't handle the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭orm0nd

They'll have to reopen the marts. Today was an animal welfare issue on top of everything else and it's bound to happen again. It looks like the system can't handle the numbers.

most marts were up and running after 2 hours , I know I was a lot happier sitting by the kitchen table than trying to avoid idiots who want to talk sh1te about nothing in particular & think talking into your face from 6 inches is acceptable

2 loads of weanlings landed home before 7 pm and other than those looking for their mothers I can't see any welfare issues

orm0nd wrote: »
    most marts were up and running after 2 hours , I know I was a lot happier sitting by the kitchen table than trying to avoid idiots who want to talk sh1te about nothing in particular & think talking into your face from 6 inches is acceptable

2 loads of weanlings landed home before 7 pm and other than those looking for their mothers I can't see any welfare issues

I was under the impression that most animals had to return home to where they came from. That was the case in Corrin mart. A stressful day for cattle at the mart and also a biosecurity hazard

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I was under the impression that most animals had to return home to where they came from. That was the case in Corrin mart. A stressful day for cattle at the mart and also a biosecurity hazard

If I were the owners of Lisduff I’d be fair pissed off tonight ,some serious workAnd cost went into preparing all the stock for sale and transporting them in etc to then have to turn around and take them back home and no cheque ....
    I’d have no issue buying on line at sale like that as herd is very well known and all had records comming out there ears .very unfourtnatel today was the day system went on holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The one from one of the marts on the news clips on today fm could have spoken better as well

If I were the owners of Lisduff I’d be fair pissed off tonight ,some serious workAnd cost went into preparing all the stock for sale and transporting them in etc to then have to turn around and take them back home and no cheque ....
    I’d have no issue buying on line at sale like that as herd is very well known and all had records comming out there ears .very unfourtnatel today was the day system went on holidays

Our internet provider is imagine, their service nationwide went down last night. I'd say people streaming the liverpool game and there was a fight on too. We really need to do something with the whole broadband system in this country. It can't cope

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Lads have cows in by night out by day, jaypers the sh!ttin their doing! Is it the same with all herds atm?

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Lads have cows in by night out by day, jaypers the sh!ttin their doing! Is it the same with all herds atm?

I only worry when they stop sh!ttin, kev:D

• Advertisement

We have a problem with dry ****s atm.

Advertisement