Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I prefer Yamaska myself and having watched Monamore sale today where a few yamaskas were sold.. im verry happy wth my choice

Their nicer put together animals alright, but his fertility is very average, he should be minus fertility on ebi by right, as his american figures are after crashing fertility wise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭straight

I prefer Yamaska myself and having watched Monamore sale today where a few yamaskas were sold.. im verry happy wth my choice

It's just that Perseus is easy calving and sexed for heifers. I use yamasaka on cows alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

And not one mention of EBI. Makes a joke of the sales that won't allow you enter your stock if it's under a certain EBI figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

straight wrote: »
    And not one mention of EBI. Makes a joke of the sales that won't allow you enter your stock if it's under a certain EBI figure.

Ebi is nothing only a number now and picking bulls based on the highest possible ebi should come with a health warning .milk records of back pedigrees is where decisions should be based

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Had a zoom course this morning. If you have a zoom meeting, make sure to figure out how to mute your microphone before the meeting starts. We can hear you giving out about the course and making the tae.

That's todays public service announcement. :P

I got a call from the milk recording that I'll be missing the results of a few cows. Apparently the sampling got blocked due to high fats in one sample and it wasn't noticed in time that 11 cows had the same fat and protein levels. It seems to be common this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭cosatron

the dam was breed by the leagh herd. that was a good investment for Monamore. Its obscene the amount of money thrown around by these big herds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

cosatron wrote: »
    the dam was breed by the leagh herd. that was a good investment for Monamore. Its obscene the amount of money thrown around by these big herds.

I often wonder though are these big amounts just going back and forth between the big breeders to raise the profile of their sales. As in one breeder buys off another and the compliment is returned down the line. Just say for the craic I could arrange with a friend to pay me 10K for a heifer, make the headlines, and then happen to have a nice group of heifers for sale soon after that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭cosatron

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    I often wonder though are these big amounts just going back and forth between the big breeders to raise the profile of their sales. As in one breeder buys off another and the compliment is returned down the line. Just say for the craic I could arrange with a friend to pay me 10K for a heifer, make the headlines, and then happen to have a nice group of heifers for sale soon after that...

i think so. I was watching the Ardnasalem reduction sale and Tom Kelly of Monamore bought a second lactation cow that he breed and obviously sold as a calf or hiefer to Ardnasalem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Vast majority have little to no debt if I'm not mistaken
    But 13k a cow is obscene amount of money, it's a good bit of work to get a decent sum of money from banks these days, you wont get it unless your business is capable of it imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,976 ✭✭✭alps

I got a call from the milk recording that I'll be missing the results of a few cows. Apparently the sampling got blocked due to high fats in one sample and it wasn't noticed in time that 11 cows had the same fat and protein levels. It seems to be common this year.

There's always a problem with fats in those meters..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

But 13k a cow is obscene amount of money, it's a good bit of work to get a decent sum of money from banks these days, you wont get it unless your business is capable of it imo

Extremes are there in every system, however saying x amount of farms have no debt should not be an excuse to reduce milk price. Processors will have to realise that in order for farms to be sustainable return must be there to take a salary and pay down debt, and will have to factor this in

alps wrote: »
    There's always a problem with fats in those meters..

My first time coming across it, alps. We're using DIY since the first year and often recorded at the end of November.

I wouldn't mind but I'm given out to for having low fats in my breeding back from fat quota days:)

Over 20% of farms are running debt levels north of 10k in euros a cow out their at the minute, banks are terrified to move in and repo farms as land values would crash and they would be lucky to recover 40% of debts outstanding, new enviromental regulations coming in is the icing on the cake for alot of guys who simply wont be able to access the required funds to be compliant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,152 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

13 k fairly severe alright but in Holland often 30/40 k per cow and they get on with it but a lifetime of debt .we’re still paying thru the nose for debt here in comparasion to European farmers but thankfully we now have milk flex and sbci loans etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Over 20% of farms are running debt levels north of 10k in euros a cow out their at the minute, banks are terrified to move in and repo farms as land values would crash and they would be lucky to recover 40% of debts outstanding, new enviromental regulations coming in is the icing on the cake for alot of guys who simply wont be able to access the required funds to be compliant
    Sorry but I just don't see that being a realistic figure at all, where are you pulling those figures from? One in every five farmers owing a million per 100 cows, not a chance. A state of the art conversion wouldn't cost half that. Land purchase might get you to that level alright but there ain't that much land changing hands. Why would banks want to repossess farms, milk price has been stable, what were the repayments for these massive loans based on? And as for environmental regulations, surely if lads have spent 10k a cow there farms must have oodles of storage!

Sorry but I just don't see that being a realistic figure at all, where are you pulling those figures from? One in every five farmers owing a million per 100 cows, not a chance. A state of the art conversion wouldn't cost half that. Land purchase might get you to that level alright but there ain't that much land changing hands. Why would banks want to repossess farms, milk price has been stable, what were the repayments for these massive loans based on? And as for environmental regulations, surely if lads have spent 10k a cow there farms must have oodles of storage!
    Exactly my thoughts

Because they are going to have to reduce their huge stocking rates. Slurry storage will be the least of their concern. 500k doesn't take you as far as you would think on a dairy setup now. I worry for some lads that are getting led up the garden path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

jaymla627 wrote: »

I’m going into dairy next spring. Now I owned the land, had enough cubicle space and had stock to overset some of the new stock cost but the debt outside that is €2k/cow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭green daries

Re read Jay's post again carefully i made the Same mistake as the you the first two times I read it 😅

Re read Jay's post again carefully i made the Same mistake as the you the first two times I read it 😅

I read it a few times, 20% of dairy farms with 10k per cow borrowed and still not compliant is not correct at all
    banks here are not lending that much out to farmers, youd get 5k at a push with land purchase but youd want a good business to handle it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I read it a few times, 20% of dairy farms with 10k per cow borrowed and still not compliant is not correct at all
    banks here are not lending that much out to farmers, youd get 5k at a push with land purchase but youd want a good business to handle it

I’d say Jay might be referring to the debt levels in New Zealand and not Ireland...

I was referring to New Zealand, all figures quoted are from their financial institutions, first line of my original sentence said "out their" and was in reply to your false statement that the vast majority of kiwi dairy farmers had little to zero debt, which was wrong.. .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Anyone having the opposite of the usual problem with milk recording results? BF results coming back a good bit higher than bulk tank results. Samples taken in the morning

Mooooo wrote: »
    Anyone having the opposite of the usual problem with milk recording results? BF results coming back a good bit higher than bulk tank results. Samples taken in the morning

My milk recording results are always higher than the bulk tank. Don't trust my Co-Op.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Green&Red wrote: »
    I’m going into dairy next spring. Now I owned the land, had enough cubicle space and had stock to overset some of the new stock cost but the debt outside that is €2k/cow

Similar figure here. I'm aiming to start in Spring 2022 and pricing a lean-to onto existing cubicles for the parlour.

Some stock sorted and a second-hand 8-unit parlour also sourced. Roadways and paddocks in place. Land owned.

Nothing fancy any where but I'm still facing into €1,500-2,000 per cow.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

My milk recording results are always higher than the bulk tank. Don't trust my Co-Op.

Get this with corn the whole time, is there an independent testing service available?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

we are milk recording with years, protein and butterfat always higher with milk recording than coop figure, i was talking to someone in the labs and they told me the machine for testing can vary your result by 0.01% as its not 100% accurate i.e protein of 3.4 could return a result of 3.5 or 3.3....review your last 10 years youl be up some years and down others

glanbia dismiss milk recording results as they only sample for 1 milking, when you take a sample of bulk tank on two day collection thats dismissed as you cant take an even sample like their bulk tanks:) cant win:)

Advertisement