Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

«134567315

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 26,844 ✭✭✭✭ whelan2


    Great name for the thread


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,694 ✭✭✭ Dakota Dan


    Free Martin heifer ovulating? Does this mean she can be bred?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭ Buford T. Justice XIX


    Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Free Martin heifer ovulating? Does this mean she can be bred?

    Yeah, she can be bred. The problem with heifers with a bull as a half twin is that sometimes they can share a blood supply with each other. It has little effect on a bull but the blood supply from the bull contains testosterone and that causes problems with the ovaries of the heifers, iirc, and causes them to be infertile.

    Some heifer half twins don't share a common blood supply and they can be bred away as normal as there's no damage to their ovaries.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭ cosatron


    anyone pull the bull yet. Pulling our lad on tomorrow, everything gone 3 weeks bar 3 late calvers and 1 c**t whose going to be burgers by the looks of things.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭ Mooooo


    Was planning on pulling him the end of the week but he will stay for another 2 now as had a good few repeats. Handier as will be testing in that period and he's a pain in the arse to put up the crush when on his own so at least he may follow the cow's thru it. Have a bull with the heifers who will stay till testing as well, hoping they are ok but whenever I check em there is a lot of messing, no standing just half jumps but he takes no notice so hopefully just heifers being heifers. Will stick the two together in a small paddock and hope they don't go hell for leather then.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭ cosatron


    Mooooo wrote: »
    Was planning on pulling him the end of the week but he will stay for another 2 now as had a good few repeats. Handier as will be testing in that period and he's a pain in the arse to put up the crush when on his own so at least he may follow the cow's thru it. Have a bull with the heifers who will stay till testing as well, hoping they are ok but whenever I check em there is a lot of messing, no standing just half jumps but he takes no notice so hopefully just heifers being heifers. Will stick the two together in a small paddock and hope they don't go hell for leather then.

    we stuck our 2 together last year and we hadn't a bit of bother. In all fairness the 2 bulls we have are very placid animals. 1 he and 1 aa. We pulled the AA from the heifer after 6 weeks, they seem to be all in calf.


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭ Grueller


    cosatron wrote: »
    anyone pull the bull yet. Pulling our lad on tomorrow, everything gone 3 weeks bar 3 late calvers and 1 c**t whose going to be burgers by the looks of things.

    Was going to pull him the weekend but have 1 cow who has been served 4 times was bulling this morning. 1 other who wasnt bulling 3 weeks ago was yesterday so I might leave it a week. The bull is easy handled anyhow, he waits in the paddock for the cows and doesn't come to the collecting yard at all. That would give an end of april finish to calving. A late calver is still worth more than an empty cow and I have plenty fodder and cubicle space.


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭ Mooooo


    These two are grand as bulls go, fella with cow's was prob petted two much in previous place as he'd stand for a rub, makes him more stubborn out of just not wanting to go up the crush as opposed to aggressiveness as such. Either way a reason to be mindful with em. Should be enough of a size difference that there should be no fighting hopefully. Have 2 fr vasectomised bulls in with a few culls and an old aa who got hurt which will be for the road, they are getting noisy now they've gone ahead of the old bull in the pecking order. But facilities are ok where they are to manage them along with the cows


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭ cosatron


    Grueller wrote: »
    Was going to pull him the weekend but have 1 cow who has been served 4 times was bulling this morning. 1 other who wasnt bulling 3 weeks ago was yesterday so I might leave it a week. The bull is easy handled anyhow, he waits in the paddock for the cows and doesn't come to the collecting yard at all. That would give an end of april finish to calving. A late calver is still worth more than an empty cow and I have plenty fodder and cubicle space.

    spoken like a true dairy farmer. you have turned over to the dark side grueller:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭ Grueller


    cosatron wrote: »
    spoken like a true dairy farmer. you have turned over to the dark side grueller:D

    Ha, the youngsters here now call the sucklers the peasants.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,844 ✭✭✭✭ whelan2


    Last calf gone today. Had 3 surprise June calvers. No more until beginning of September.....


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭ mf240


    cosatron wrote: »
    anyone pull the bull yet. Pulling our lad on tomorrow, .

    Would you need to put him in the crush for that.:eek::D


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭ cosatron


    mf240 wrote: »
    Would you need to put him in the crush for that.:eek::D

    Ha, we will see how it goes, I’ll wow him first with nuts


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭ Buford T. Justice XIX


    Just off the phone from a lad I sold calves to last year. He was fierce upset with me for selling him a calf without doing a BVD test on it and he needed me to pay for the test because the Dept told him that both himself and me would be getting inspected because of it.

    So I said I'd get it sorted. I changed my phone last week and luckily all my BVD results were transferred to the new one. And there was the negative result for my calf from last year. And I couldn't have gotten a movement cert or be allowed sell through a mart unless there was a negative test there?

    I'm starting to get sick of this sh!t, tbh. Surely the Dept have the results in front of them and all the possible loopholes closed off? I've probably lost a good customer for my calves now, ffs:mad:


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,898 ✭✭✭ Base price


    Just off the phone from a lad I sold calves to last year. He was fierce upset with me for selling him a calf without doing a BVD test on it and he needed me to pay for the test because the Dept told him that both himself and me would be getting inspected because of it.

    So I said I'd get it sorted. I changed my phone last week and luckily all my BVD results were transferred to the new one. And there was the negative result for my calf from last year. And I couldn't have gotten a movement cert or be allowed sell through a mart unless there was a negative test there?

    I'm starting to get sick of this sh!t, tbh. Surely the Dept have the results in front of them and all the possible loopholes closed off? I've probably lost a good customer for my calves now, ffs:mad:
    I'm not saying that he is a dope - but he is a dope. You cannot do a movement for a calf unless it has a negative BVD result. Just phone him back and tell him the calf was negative and it's obviously something wrong with DAFM. Take a screen shot of the calves tag number showing the negative (green) status and send it to him.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭ Gawddawggonnit


    Base price wrote: »
    I'm not saying that he is a dope - but he is a dope..

    Lol.
    Class!


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭ Say my name


    Not as advanced as some here with no artificial nitrogen applied for the year.

    But I'm on my second round of grazing with no fertilizer applied.
    Going out now with seaweed and molasses while the going is good. (You have to spray while the plant is active and healthy).
    Difference now from when I applied it about 50 days ago is before it only showed on the second grazing after application now it's showing a few days after spraying. Must be longer days and warmer temperatures.
    Who needs nitrogen.:pac:

    Your secrets out Organic folks! :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 7,999 ✭✭✭ Mooooo


    What stocking rate are you at?


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭ Say my name


    Mooooo wrote: »
    What stocking rate are you at?

    2.5/ha

    Edit : it's 3.5/ha. 2.5 is a cow to the acre. I was thinking after I hadn't an acre for every cow and bull grazing. The calculator came out then. Again.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭ cosatron


    2.5/ha

    Is that the whole farm or grazing ground. Sounds very interesting considering what lies ahead


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭ Say my name


    cosatron wrote: »
    Is that the whole farm or grazing ground. Sounds very interesting considering what lies ahead

    That's grazing ground atm.
    It'd be a bit lower when all the silage ground comes in play.

    It's what more farmers are going to have to play around with.
    Life = protein = nitrogen.

    They say the organic guys it takes two years for conventional ground to repair itself to cope without N applied.
    I've been playing around with this stuff for the past two years. This year it's gelling together nicely and hopefully I should have my lowest amount of fert applied this year.

    The father keeps telling me you'll have to apply nitrogen.
    I reply "Sure didn't the Bull McCabe fertilize his Field with seaweed?"
    Shuts him up anyway. :pac:


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭ Buford T. Justice XIX


    We had our first on farm discussion group meeting today, social distancing and all. It was good to meet up again and meet the new lads in the group for the first time.

    I'm not sure it's going to stay happening listening to what's going on in the tourist towns down here though.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭ Siamsa Sessions


    That's grazing ground atm.
    It'd be a bit lower when all the silage ground comes in play.

    It's what more farmers are going to have to play around with.
    Life = protein = nitrogen.

    They say the organic guys it takes two years for conventional ground to repair itself to cope without N applied.
    I've been playing around with this stuff for the past two years. This year it's gelling together nicely and hopefully I should have my lowest amount of fert applied this year.

    The father keeps telling me you'll have to apply nitrogen.
    I reply "Sure didn't the Bull McCabe fertilize his Field with seaweed?"
    Shuts him up anyway. :pac:

    Would it be a very personal question to ask how you make up the mixture?

    I tried to make seaweed fertiliser on a small trial scale before but it didn’t work out too well


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭ Say my name


    Would it be a very personal question to ask how you make up the mixture?

    I tried to make seaweed fertiliser on a small trial scale before but it didn’t work out too well

    No that didn't work out too well for me either.
    Let that water into the slurry tank if you have one and keep topping back up and repeat. It'll work with the slurry.

    This is a commercial seaweed flake. Then mix with molasses if you want or whatever takes your fancy.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭ GrasstoMilk


    Not as advanced as some here with no artificial nitrogen applied for the year.

    But I'm on my second round of grazing with no fertilizer applied.
    Going out now with seaweed and molasses while the going is good. (You have to spray while the plant is active and healthy).
    Difference now from when I applied it about 50 days ago is before it only showed on the second grazing after application now it's showing a few days after spraying. Must be longer days and warmer temperatures.
    Who needs nitrogen.:pac:

    Your secrets out Organic folks! :D

    We spread our first bit of bag in 4 weeks last week. Stocked at 3.6.
    Not much room for experiments


  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭ Say my name


    We spread our first bit of bag in 4 weeks last week. Stocked at 3.6.
    Not much room for experiments

    That's your own choice.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,386 ✭✭✭✭ Timmaay


    2.5 mp sr definitely gives alot more room for hmm experiments to go wrong tho ha. But agreed in general always time for some sort of experiments, I would however like to see alot more work from teagasc etc pushing all this, giving more of an incentive and removing some of the risk from the farmers, say your currently taking on the full risk yourself now, and I you already admitted some of the salt water completely backfired on you?


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭ mahoney_j


    Timmaay wrote: »
    2.5 mp sr definitely gives alot more room for hmm experiments to go wrong tho ha. But agreed in general always time for some sort of experiments, I would however like to see alot more work from teagasc etc pushing all this, giving more of an incentive and removing some of the risk from the farmers, say your currently taking on the full risk yourself now, and I you already admitted some of the salt water completely backfired on you?

    I’m a big fan and very interested in what say my name is doing and it’s something we all should be paying attention to with all the nitrates changes comming another guy I’m very interested in as regards his take on n applications soil health and n use in spring/back end is graise consulting goes against tegasc advice on lot of stuff but makes sense


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭ cosatron


    Timmaay wrote: »
    2.5 mp sr definitely gives alot more room for hmm experiments to go wrong tho ha. But agreed in general always time for some sort of experiments, I would however like to see alot more work from teagasc etc pushing all this, giving more of an incentive and removing some of the risk from the farmers, say your currently taking on the full risk yourself now, and I you already admitted some of the salt water completely backfired on you?
    agreed but when a professor from teagasc recommends using protected urea as way to combat emissions, you know this type of research is not going to happen. Also i think its about time teagasc got out of the fertilizer companies back pocket.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,541 ✭✭✭ Say my name


    mahoney_j wrote: »
    I’m a big fan and very interested in what say my name is doing and it’s something we all should be paying attention to with all the nitrates changes comming another guy I’m very interested in as regards his take on n applications soil health and n use in spring/back end is graise consulting goes against tegasc advice on lot of stuff but makes sense

    I can say too much too. :pac:

    A few visitors just after leaving there.
    Genuinely seemed interested in a different approach and the whole visit was about the above.
    I could be famous yet! :p


Advertisement