Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭straight

timple23 wrote: »
    Clear-All-1-scaled_690x450_acf_cropped.jpg

Just wondering if anyone has something like this installed. Dry dung tends to just sit on the slat. Looks like a good idea.

The grid moves back and forth with the track.

No way here anyway. Asking for trouble. Use the handscraper to move the heap and work it in if it's annoying you

• Registered Users Posts: 29,220 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Plenty of water. I have a couple of taps set up in my new shed. Makes a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

straight wrote: »
    Asking for trouble.

In what way?

Have used water to wash it down but doesn't suit setup. Ultimately trying to reduce daily workload.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Thinking of changing my username to Clear air hole. Press select:mad:

timple23 wrote: »
    In what way?

Have used water to wash it down but doesn't suit setup. Ultimately trying to reduce daily workload.

Damaging cows legs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,209 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Thinking of changing my username to Clear air hole. Press select:mad:

Poor fungi anyway.

I see perseus is gone proven. Great news for me as I've used him more heavily here than any other bull. He's handy for the heifers with the easy calving. I think I'll use more proven bulls from now on as some of the heifers coming through end up being a bit disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I see perseus is gone proven. Great news for me as I've used him more heavily here than any other bull. He's handy for the heifers with the easy calving. I think I'll use more proven bulls from now on as some of the heifers coming through end up being a bit disappointing.

What type of cow are you trying to breed? He has alot of milk

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Being a small bit parochial here but how come the fella with the lowest tbc and somatic didnt win the ndc quality award.tbc 4 and cell count of 37 is fantastic

I like what UCD Lyons farm are trying to achieve. 600kgs per cow. I have a herd of friesians that have been bred through high EBI/bull of the day for 30 years but I'd like to put more milk in them. I'm putting high production holsteins in my smaller cows and my intention is to cross them back again with a high EBI straw the next time. Will stock them at about 1 cow to the acre and strive for 550kg+ per cow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,111 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

And a lot of kgms which ultimately is how our milk is paid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

K.G. wrote: »
    Being a small bit parochial here but how come the fella with the lowest tbc and somatic didnt win the ndc quality award.tbc 4 and cell count of 37 is fantastic

I think it's not just about having the lowest figures. It's about having a farm and farmer that you can put up as an advertisement for the industry. Sustainability, animal welfare etc that projects a positive image of dairy farming would be part of the judging criteria also I would guess.

Going simillar here too will still use genomic but will look far deeper into figures than just overall ebi .yamasaka ,prince ,Albert ,method conti,Lisduff perception and praser tick the boxes for what I want

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the judges take a broader view on it.
    They look at how that farmer can communicate, how the farm will be able to host an open day and what the overall impression of the farm will be to visitors.
    Some coops use those impressions too as well as results when picking their nominee.

I like what UCD Lyons farm are trying to achieve. 600kgs per cow. I have a herd of friesians that have been bred through high EBI/bull of the day for 30 years but I'd like to put more milk in them. I'm putting high production holsteins in my smaller cows and my intention is to cross them back again with a high EBI straw the next time. Will stock them at about 1 cow to the acre and strive for 550kg+ per cow.

Sounds good
    I'm trying to get high Kgs by chasing %s
    I feel you dont need litres to get high kgs
    Wont be a million miles from 550kg this year, we dont focus much on breeding for litres

7000l @4% protein and 4.7 fat is my goal here
    Let the herd mature and do some culling and I might not be far off it

Tomorrow is the last day to submit your ai serves and scanning details to icbf to be able to get the expected calving report.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Boldi armour is miles ahead milking his heifers here and their real standout stock, have a heap of peresus to calve down this year aswell but going of his American daughter figures they wont be as good

Sounds good
    I'm trying to get high Kgs by chasing %s
    I feel you dont need litres to get high kgs
    Wont be a million miles from 550kg this year, we dont focus much on breeding for litres

7000l @4% protein and 4.7 fat is my goal here
    Let the herd mature and do some culling and I might not be far off it

I'm between two stools here. Aiming for a blend of everything and just trying to hurry it on a bit. My milk recording has me between 530 and 540 the last few years. My CO-OP report hangs around the 500. Those American bulls seem to have great health figures and good for feet, legs and udder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Making a bit of progress on protein but bf isn't budging for me, stuck at 4 for the year. Have switched from split to spring only and lost a good share of good cows to tb so building back up again numbers wise but annoying that the bf hasn't moved in a number of years. Protein has increased from 3.5 to 3.63 or thereabouts

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think the judges take a broader view on it.
    They look at how that farmer can communicate, how the farm will be able to host an open day and what the overall impression of the farm will be to visitors.
    Some coops use those impressions too as well as results when picking their nominee.

Not so much now but there was places around(mostly where women were in charge of milking) here that used tiun out savage milk out of fairly rough set ups.often in the places but never the overall awards

• Advertisement

I'm between two stools here. Aiming for a blend of everything and just trying to hurry it on a bit. My milk recording has me between 530 and 540 the last few years. My CO-OP report hangs around the 500. Those American bulls seem to have great health figures and good for feet, legs and udder too.

7500/8000 litres with 600/650 kgms is achievable in spring milk but over last 2 years for me high ebi bulls will not do it ,they will regress both in solids ,milk and type the reliability or accuracy in figures for most part is not there on ebi figures .the ammount of high ebi bulls that turned out to be duds over last few years should set alarm bells

Not so much now but there was places around(mostly where women were in charge of milking) here that used tiun out savage milk out of fairly rough set ups.often in the places but never the overall awards

I'm not bragging but a few years ago I had better quality results than the Glanbia nominee.
    At an open day I could see why they and their farm were chosen though.

There was a co-op meeting once one evening on milk quality just after the nominee was chosen and we were asked to sign our name and tbc and cc for the year. I put mine down and passed on the sheet to the next farmer. Four farmers after, that farmer called one of the girls would have the microphone and complained about putting their results on a sheet for it to be passed around.
    It was announced after that, that only their name was needed. :p

whelan2 wrote: »
    Tomorrow is the last day to submit your ai serves and scanning details to icbf to be able to get the expected calving report.

That's just the deadline for the pocket notebook I'd say.

That's just the deadline for the pocket notebook I'd say.

Ye but the notebook is handy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I prefer Yamaska myself and having watched Monamore sale today where a few yamaskas were sold.. im verry happy wth my choice

I prefer Yamaska myself and having watched Monamore sale today where a few yamaskas were sold.. im verry happy wth my choice

How did the sale go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

whelan2 wrote: »
    How did the sale go?

serious money paid for stock... between 2-3k... calves making 1k and more

serious money paid for stock... between 2-3k... calves making 1k and more

His farm isn't far from me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭cosatron

The halo hiefer for over 4k was a serious animal for a feb calf

• Advertisement

cosatron wrote: »
    The halo hiefer for over 4k was a serious animal for a feb calf

Was there over 7k paid for one cow?

Advertisement