Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭straight

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Oh sorry buddy, it's just that it sounded like a disparaging remark on a fellow hard working farmer, who might be doing things differently to you, but is still worth listening to all the same. I was on that farm a few years ago and you can rest assured his contractor, feed and building costs are under control so your 'assumptions' are well off the mark.

I certainly don't mean to be dragging down a fellow dairy farmer but sometimes I feel sorry for some lads being wheeled out by companies as the shining example to us all. Each to their own I say but don't be leading anyone astray regards profitability, workload, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

No doubt that man has worked hard to get where he is and that we could all take something from his operation, I just feel if they want to put out what lic, or anyone elses genetics, or systems or whatever are doing, all info has to be shown really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Seeing as we're getting close to dryoff time, AHI has a new sheet on responsible antibiotic use for mastitis control.
    https://twitter.com/animalhealthire/status/1318222243768553473?s=19

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I spoke to Arrabawn yesterday about potentially supplying them and the rep said they'd be no issue taking me as a new entrant. They are already collecting from 3 others in our area.

One thing came up was becoming a shareholder in the co-op. I didn't press him as to whether it was mandatory or merely nice-to-have, but the bottom line was 0.5c/litre would be retained by them to pay for my shares.

The number of shares I'd need to have is tied into the amount of milk supplied.

Is this a common approach for new entrants in other co-ops?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I spoke to Arrabawn yesterday about potentially supplying them and the rep said they'd be no issue taking me as a new entrant. They are already collecting from 3 others in our area.

One thing came up was becoming a shareholder in the co-op. I didn't press him as to whether it was mandatory or merely nice-to-have, but the bottom line was 0.5c/litre would be retained by them to pay for my shares.

All coops have various levels of shareholding required per x litres supplied. Once you've reached that level the 0.5c will be stopped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

I’m not sure but it seems reasonable to me. I think if you want to utilise the facility’s of an organisation it’s only fair you make a contribution towards getting your milk processed. It is a co-op after all.
    The beauty of it from your perspective is if you ever want to get out of milk you will have your shares to sell.

Mooooo wrote: »
    All coops have various levels of shareholding required per x litres supplied. Once you've reached that level the 0.5c will be stopped

Is there a yearly dividend paid on those shares as well, Mooo?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭orm0nd

yes it's mandatory and that's a fair deal as opposed to other co-ops

they also have a bonus share dividend where you get shares when you buy feed from them, maybe not be an option in your case

I'm pretty close to their mill and don't deal with them ,

Thanks for the replies.

I’m not too close to them but they said they’d deliver feed if it was a decent-sized order and yes, there’d be some shares for every purchase I’d make from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Thanks for the replies.

I’m not too close to them but they said they’d deliver feed if it was a decent-sized order and yes, there’d be some shares for every purchase I’d make from them.

Think their on the lower end of investing in shares as a new entrant. Remember lads changed over to glanbia and dairygold and had to invest a nice bit in shares iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, Arrabawn were fair to deal with for those lads in Cork who moved to them and gave them time to build up shares. I think it was €700 initially. Know some get their meal and fert from them but there is no tie in.

Water John wrote: »
    I think it was €700 initially. Know some get their meal and fert from them but there is no tie in.

Correct and correct - €700 was mentioned as the initial sum required to get going with the shares and there is no requirement to buy fertiliser/feed from them, beyond using it as a way to build shares. I think 2 shares per €100 might have been mentioned but I can't remember the figures exactly.

The total number of shares you need is a multiple of the cows being milked, with an assumption of 5,000 litres/cow. I think the numbers are something like this:

50 cows = 250,000 litres = 10,000 shares

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

You’ll have to build up to a shareholding of 4000 1 euro shares for every 100 k litres supplied .0.5 cent/litre deducted till u reach that level .have a long hard think about it and don’t make a rash decision .as a coop we have a serious ammount of issues not making massive profit ,historically are poor payers on milk price and are heavy in debt

mahoney_j wrote: »
    You’ll have to build up to a shareholding of 4000 1 euro shares for every 100 k litres supplied .0.5 cent/litre deducted till u reach that level .have a long hard think about it and don’t make a rash decision .as a coop we have a serious ammount of issues not making massive profit ,historically are poor payers on milk price and are heavy in debt

Thanks. I spoke to Glanbia a few weeks ago too, so will try to balance the pros and cons of both before deciding what way to go.

I told the reps from the two co-ops that I'd give them a shout in the New Year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Farm365

Thanks. I spoke to Glanbia a few weeks ago too, so will try to balance the pros and cons of both before deciding what way to go.

I told the reps from the two co-ops that I'd give them a shout in the New Year again.

What is Glanbia criteria for new entrants?

Farm365 wrote: »
    What is Glanbia criteria for new entrants?

I'm not 100% sure to be honest.

We are shareholders in the co-op from my father's time so I don't know if that makes us genuine new entrants or not. We didn't get into too much detail on this during my initial chat with their rep, but it's something to cover in our next chat.

I have it in my head from the time of the Glanbia share cancellation a few years back that a figure of 2,500 shares was mentioned, but I don't know if this was in total per supplier, or per 100k milk supplied, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

I'm not 100% sure to be honest.

We are shareholders in the co-op from my father's time so I don't know if that makes us genuine new entrants or not. We didn't get into too much detail on this during my initial chat with their rep, but it's something to cover in our next chat.

I have it in my head from the time of the Glanbia share cancellation a few years back that a figure of 2,500 shares was mentioned, but I don't know if this was in total per supplier, or per 100k milk supplied, etc.

Is the Strathroy lorry passing near you

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If I was in the market to supply milk, I would look elsewhere than Glanbia or DG. It's not just about price, which is important, but a bit of respect for the farmer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'd be looking at msa s, some are tying u down for 5 years. I think arrabawn dont even expect u to sign msa as an existing supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I'd be looking at msa s, some are tying u down for 5 years. I think arrabawn dont even expect u to sign msa as an existing supplier.

Think at this stage the msa is not much of a worry Kev ,if you’ve a milk flex loan your tied on for 8 years .movement beteween coops is now next to impossible bar maby to strathroy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

If I remember correctly, Glanbia have you in a 2 year rolling msa, so you give notice today that you want to stop supplying them you have to wait 2years. Bit like getting a divorce but having to wait 2yrs before you'd can move apart from eachother lol. In terms of shares, I'm fairly sure it's 2500 5e shares (so 10k) per supplier, but nothing about a requirement per 100kl etc. Strathroy you have no msa.

Just opened the first 5 bales of winter 2020. Cows have collapsed in milk and are not content at grass so they'll get the bales at milking time with 4 kg of 16% dairy nuts. Funny how the good cows could still milk away but the bad ones just take their opportunity to nosedive. I'm short on replacements this year but I'm looking forward to getting rid of a few cnuts next year.

Quick question, does anyone know where to get replacement rubber skirt for a wheeled hand scraper, about 51 inches wide?

I have it so long I can't even remember who made it first day

I see gentleman agri in ballyheigue sell these scrapers so they would have the rubbers for them I guess

straight wrote: »
    I see gentleman agri in ballyheigue sell these scrapers so they would have the rubbers for them I guess

I actually picked one up at the creamery store today, only 2 showing on the system and one of the lads collected one and brought it to the local store for me.

I often give out about the company but the lads I deal with are really top notch lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Very interesting developments re the dairy co-ops looking to set-up digesters countrywide, will probably mean a major push by co-ops to have a certain % of larger herds housed year round in high output systems to guarantee a constant supply of good quality slurry

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Very interesting developments re the dairy co-ops looking to set-up digesters countrywide, will probably mean a major push by co-ops to have a certain % of larger herds housed year round in high output systems to guarantee a constant supply of good quality slurry

I hope someone will explain to the anti-farming types why more “industrial farming” as they call it is needed to make green energy

The farmer won't get paid anyway so I wouldn't get too carried away

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

But the white butter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭jaymla627

straight wrote: »
    The farmer won't get paid anyway so I wouldn't get too carried away

They cant make lads buyin to this their going to have to give real financial incentives to get buy-in at a big enough scale of farmers, if you look at germany it's the renewable energy side of things that keep the lights on for a lot of farms financially wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭cosatron

They cant make lads buyin to this their going to have to give real financial incentives to get buy-in at a big enough scale of farmers, if you look at germany it's the renewable energy side of things that keep the lights on for a lot of farms financially wise

if they give me 40 cent a litre for my milk and sh*t ill sign up straight away:D

Advertisement