Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭straight

UPDATE: So my cow with the digestive upset was doing ok for about 2 weeks. Was eating away and had about half her milk. 2 days ago, she went out after milking and lid down immediately. Black tarry poop behind her in the morning and couldn't come in with the herd. After milking there was black blood flying out her ass and she was panting and weak. Burst ulcer in the digestive system. Gave her a full bottle of K1 as a coagulate. And 2 bottles of maalox a day for acid in her stomach. She was way better the following day as the bleeding thankfully stopped. She's roaring to be milked now and to go back with the herd but no way. She's being dried off now and going on an early holiday. 9 years old. Vet said she'll lose the calf. It always seems to be the good ones but so glad to have saved her so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The preliminary results of the Ballyhaise extended grazing v normal grazing trials are posted below. Every extra day at grass is worth an extra €2.30 a cow.

https://www.teagasc.ie/news--events/daily/grassland/ballyhaise-extended-grazing-trial.php

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Lads we changed the tank in the last few years. Now as we get start the dry off cows next month the agitator in the tank won't be low enough to stir the milk and we'll start to fail milk tests. Has anyone adapted their agitator to get around this? The father is thinking of putting an attachment on the end of a cordless drill and turning the tank on and off to stop it freezing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

why will you fail tests?
    used to happen us with old tank, you need to wash out tank manually with hose to remove frozen milk before washing
    could you get a bigger plate cooler and have the milk going in tank at 4 degree and turn on after second milking

why will you fail tests?
    used to happen us with old tank, you need to wash out tank manually with hose to remove frozen milk before washing
    could you get a bigger plate cooler and have the milk going in tank at 4 degree and turn on after second milking

The milk doesn't get stirred so it starts to freeze and defrost. Then it splits. After that it ends up failing milk teats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

How oversized is the tank? One here is big, for us, at 14.5k litres but only needs 1% in it afaik for cooling. Have ye space for a small tank to use instead in late autumn/ early spring?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,241 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

rounders wrote: »
    The milk doesn't get stirred so it starts to freeze and defrost. Then it splits. After that it ends up failing milk teats

How often is the milk collected

Mooooo wrote: »
    How oversized is the tank? One here is big, for us, at 14.5k litres but only needs 1% in it afaik for cooling. Have ye space for a small tank to use instead in late autumn/ early spring?

It's the perfect size for normal times of the year but since it's a lot rounder than the last one the agitators don't reach the bottom 5 inch's

Unfortunately we don't have room for a second tank

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

How often are you all running auto scrapers?
    Every 2 or 3 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,241 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Every 2 or 3 hours?
    Every 4 hours , but passageway is 10 links long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Every 2 or 3 hours?

2hrs for milkers, 4hrs for drys

Have ours set at 3 hours but think it's too long, cows tend to drag alot of dung onto the beds when stepping up

Joe Kirwan talking about changing his breeding from high output Holstein to crossbreed Jersey and what his output were. About 18 minutes long.

https://twitter.com/LICIreland/status/1318069575263596546?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Have ours set at 3 hours but think it's too long, cows tend to drag alot of dung onto the beds when stepping up

ours are set at 3 hr intervals with 26 years and hopefully will be that way for another 26 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

ours are set at 3 hr intervals with 26 years and hopefully will be that way for another 26 years

Dairy power

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Joe Kirwan talking about changing his breeding from high output Holstein to crossbreed Jersey and what his output were. About 18 minutes long.

That's something they could play to me in Gitmo to get me to talk. :P

Gillespy wrote: »
    That's something they could play to me in Gitmo to get me to talk. :P

I thought it was interesting the way he was focused on the ratio of kgs solids produced to kgs liveweight.

And having a cow weighing in at 384kgs, nearer the weight we would be bulling heifers at than calving down cows at. That must have been some reset in outlook, going from 700kgs average liveweight down to under 500kgs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I thought it was interesting the way he was focused on the ratio of kgs solids produced to kgs liveweight.

Bit like weaning efficiency for ewes (or sucklers). I think Wrangler was saying on here he'd only retain replacements from ewes that'd wean their own weight in lambs, so if a ewe was 80kg she'd have to have 2 lambs that were 40kg each at weaning.

Is that the aim with kgs solids here too? A cow gives her own weight in solids?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Quick question, does anyone know where to get replacement rubber skirt for a wheeled hand scraper, about 51 inches wide?

I have it so long I can't even remember who made it first day

Why doesn't he just milk goats altogether. Has the man any self respect.

• Advertisement

Quick question, does anyone know where to get replacement rubber skirt for a wheeled hand scraper, about 51 inches wide?

I have it so long I can't even remember who made it first day

Is that one like this? I've been thinking of getting one for the holding yard. Are they a good job?

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Manual-Yard-Scraper-with-Pumped-Wheels-40in/9002303?gclid=Cj0KCQjw8rT8BRCbARIsALWiOvRilYpECVXmRZawb_kS7ktA-D1wIqdTvOAgLCDgOgIcSOOwqtQCN9caAkWjEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

straight wrote: »

Supplying 2000kgs/ms/ha and growing 18T grass! You need to educate yourself before throwing up comments like that

Yeah, that's the kind of one here. Mine is the bones of 30 years old now and I bought it from some place in Cork making them.

They're good for small areas but you'll know about it in bigger areas fairly soon. We just use it for a small holding yard in the exit from the parlour that's too narrow for the tractor and scraper. We used to use it for an isolated cubicle house that was only half stocked but it would have to be done twice a day or you'd be all day pushing and grunting to get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Interesting interview but whole farm stocking rates, feed bought in etc basically the whole picture would want to be there rather than just headline figures. Grand saying your heading for 4 cows/ ha or 2000kgsms/ ha but that's not the whole story at all. Comparison can only be given in whole farm scenarios and how it's managed really

Mooooo wrote: »
    Interesting interview but whole farm stocking rates, feed bought in etc basically the whole picture would want to be there rather than just headline figures. Grand saying your heading for 4 cows/ ha or 2000kgsms/ ha but that's not the whole story at all. Comparison can only be given in whole farm scenarios and how it's managed really

Its full of propaganda picking the figures that suit LIC. Says that only figure he cares about is kg MS/Ha and then starts on about how many cents per litre he's getting over the average but no mention about the lower litres. No mention of all the cost of extra cubicles, storage, etc. He talks about 23% empty rate from the holsteins which is not representative of the breed. He said he had nothing out of the 70 cows after all the bills were paid which sounds about right but he didn't say how much he has out of the 2 hundred and whatever he has now. I'd say the man letting him the land is the only one winning plus his builders, contractors, LIC and a few more living off his back.

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Supplying 2000kgs/ms/ha and growing 18T grass! You need to educate yourself before throwing up comments like that

Relax lad, it was a joke. Call it banter if you will.

Yeah, that's the kind of one here. Mine is the bones of 30 years old now and I bought it from some place in Cork making them.

They're good for small areas but you'll know about it in bigger areas fairly soon. We just use it for a small holding yard in the exit from the parlour that's too narrow for the tractor and scraper. We used to use it for an isolated cubicle house that was only half stocked but it would have to be done twice a day or you'd be all day pushing and grunting to get it sorted.

That's great service. I might get one for the holding yard/slats here. I clean it every morning with the 24 inch scraper and it takes me 15 mins. I'd say the co-ops sell them replacement rubbers

Well above the national average any way
    Effiecent herd I would say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭C0N0R

rounders wrote: »

I’ve attached an ice cream lid with vice grips to a tank agitator before which worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Relax lad, it was a joke. Call it banter if you will.

Oh sorry buddy, it's just that it sounded like a disparaging remark on a fellow hard working farmer, who might be doing things differently to you, but is still worth listening to all the same. I was on that farm a few years ago and you can rest assured his contractor, feed and building costs are under control so your 'assumptions' are well off the mark.

Advertisement