Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Makes the whole 'At least Trump did what he said he was going to do' even more laughable.

From getting Mexico to building the entire wall to only building a few sections with all showing signs of failing within his term is just further evidence of his incapacity to do the job he said he was going to do.

I need to apologize. I misread some of the article. This is a grifter who worked with the Bannon scam to raise $$ for the wall, not a government contract. Still, it's falling down. So this bit's not on the #IMPOTUS.

Still amusing though and the grifter is someone that sang the #IMPOTUS praises on Fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Igotadose wrote: »
    Seems that the Fox news sycophant who got one of the #IMPOTUS border wall contracts built a wall that's going to fall down. This isn't terribly new, I remember a story from earlier this summer about it. But, as there's no amount of taxpayer dollars that are too much to spend on an #IMPOTUS vanity project, there's now been an engineering study confirming the tiny bit of wall built through the butterfly reserve will fail, just a matter of a big enough rainstorm.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/09/02/texas-private-border-wall-study/

Is this not the wall built by the Steve Bannon fraud crowd?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I need to apologize. I misread some of the article. This is a grifter who worked with the Bannon scam to raise $$ for the wall, not a government contract. Still, it's falling down. So this bit's not on the #IMPOTUS.

Still amusing though and the grifter is someone that sang the #IMPOTUS praises on Fox.

No , you are right..

He is the guy that built the wall funded by the Bannon scam . He ALSO got several billion dollars worth of Government contracts despite not following the correct procedures around procurement etc.
    The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is responsible for contracts relating to the border barrier project. The agency solicits competitive bids to ensure meritorious award, free from insidious political influence. FSG was one of six applicants to build border wall prototypes in the San Diego area during 2017. Their concrete design lacked a transparent aesthetic desired by officials at the Department of Homeland Security. Fisher then pivoted to a steel design which the Army Corps said ‘’did not meet its standards and lacked regulatory approvals.’’ The agency added that FSG’s work was also late and over budget. Stymied by bureaucratic red tape, Fisher sued the government after their rejection. The case was dismissed, but the Army Corps added the company to a group of bids in response to pressure from the White House. It has been reported that Donald Trump has repeatedly intervened in the process to steer the contract at issue towards Fisher Sand & Gravel.

Government contracting is intended to be free from political influence to guarantee the best value for the American taxpayer and prevent any untoward favoritism. In this case the most logical inference is that strategic political influence was exerted to elicit such special treatment. It is highly irregular for a president to personally intervene in the award of a major government contract. According to administration officials, speaking on the condition of anonymity, Trump has done that repeatedly on behalf of Fisher to leaders at the Department of Homeland Security and the Army Corps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gintonious wrote: »
    It gets worse!

twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1301641141981511681
    It's not just a helicopter. It's Marine One.

Most likely a Sikorsky VH-60N or maybe a Sikorsky Sea King so almost certainly a type used by the Coast Guard or US Navy for ALL weather Search And Rescue.

But if it was an Osprey then fair enough "…and don't fly in anything with a Capissen 38 Mark II engine - they fall right out of the sky…"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Seems that the Fox news sycophant who got one of the #IMPOTUS border wall contracts built a wall that's going to fall down. This isn't terribly new, I remember a story from earlier this summer about it. But, as there's no amount of taxpayer dollars that are too much to spend on an #IMPOTUS vanity project, there's now been an engineering study confirming the tiny bit of wall built through the butterfly reserve will fail, just a matter of a big enough rainstorm.

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/09/02/texas-private-border-wall-study/

The big question is was it a new section of wall ?

The internets suggest that it parallel's an existing section. I CBA looking it up because it can't imagine that any part of this project would be an improvement on what was already in place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Remember that Covid19 thing? Well USA today managed to surpass Sweden (577 vs. new USA 579) in deaths per million and are making great strides to fight it out at the top of the charter... Let's look at some of the worst hit countries such as Brazil and Chile and let's see if we can spot a difference in how they are doing vs USA...

Brazil
    Brazil.jpg

Chile
    Chile.jpg

USA
    USA.jpg

All data and images from worldometer.info

Trump; a president who don't need a war to kill his own people and **** over the economy! Vote Trump and make USA great again by ensuring your own citizens dies without even bothering to leave the country! After all an American death beats being killed in Afghanistan or Iraq.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

it seems that story about Trump disrespecting veterans is not all that it made out to be according
    to Kayleigh McEnany at a press conference

• Registered Users Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

it seems that story about Trump disrespecting veterans is not all that it made out to be according

What else did you expect her to say? She's a serial liar, like her boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Really? Well, I am shocked that she is saying something like that. Shocked. I mean, that changes my whole opinion on it, what with her being a bastion of truth in this beacon of integrity we call the Donald Trump White House....

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Hahaha, according to Kayleigh McEnany.
    Colour me surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Batmannn wrote: »
    Sad but interesting to see all the people who fell for Goldbergs story.
    Anonymous sources, cmon man.

Fox News Channel reporter confirms it all...is that good enough? Read the full twitter thread...

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1301977053261172737

• Registered Users Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Water John

WP and AP have confirmed The Atlantic story.
    Have we heard anything from Gens Kelly and Mattis?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Ludo wrote: »
    Fox News Channel reporter confirms it all...is that good enough? Read the full twitter thread...

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/1301977053261172737

But.....but......fake news.......LOCK HER UP!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,551 ✭✭✭✭briany

Thank you oh newly registered one.

I've always found the proportion of new regs who are "red-pilled" to be suspiciously high.
    PropJoe10 wrote: »
    But.....but......fake news.......LOCK HER UP!

"This doesn't agree with my assumptions and biases, so it's FAKE NEWS." That's about the standard of critical thought among some these days.

Trump bad mouthing Gen Kelly. Saying he was burned out and not able to handle the pressure of the job. Must suspect that Kelly is the source.

Really dangerous, sounds like the time Pee Flynn made similar comments about Gilmartin on the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,485 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So Trump comes out all guns blazing, calling the peddlers of the story regarding his behaviour during the French cemetery visit and it's cancellation liars.

He said he was so upset by having to cancel the cemetery visit that he rang home and spoke to Melania to express his disappointment!

Except...
    Trump told reporters yesterday that he "called home" to Melania Trump at the time and told her how upset he was for not being able to visit the cemetery. At the time, the White House said he was unable to attend and had to cancel the visit because of bad weather.

Trump claims he "called home, I spoke to my wife and I said 'I hate this. I came here to go to that ceremony.' And to the one that was the following day which I did go to. I said I feel terribly. And that was the end of it."

Facts First: Melania Trump was on the same trip with the President and was scheduled to attend the cemetery visit. She was not in the US.

A readout from the first lady's office at the time said that "Due to inclement weather, the First Lady and President were unable to visit the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery and Memorial in Belleau, France."

Scumbag can't even bother to consult his diary before he spouts more lies!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Could we finally be seeing the crack we've been waiting for?

Him attacking Kelly must mean that they think Kelly is about to come out and confirm the story.

This has blown up very quickly and the silence from anyone on the GOP outside the WH is telling.

Where are Tom Cotton or Dan Crenshaw or even Pompeo as ex Military defending him??

This is definitely going to damage him and if Kelly comes out and confirms it, I think the dam breaks and all the "anonymous sources" will go public about all the crap he's been denying for the last 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,071 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Water John wrote: »
    Trump bad mouthing Gen Kelly. Saying he was burned out and not able to handle the pressure of the job. Must suspect that Kelly is the source.

Really dangerous, sounds like the time Pee Flynn made similar comments about Gilmartin on the LLS.

Without being pushed he basically confirmed Kelly as a source. This is crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

banie01 wrote: »
    So Trump comes out all guns blazing, calling the peddlers of the story regarding his behaviour during the French cemetery visit and it's cancellation liars.

At this stage a strong denial from Trump, especially one that calls others liars, is pretty much just a roundabout way of getting cofnirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Could we finally be seeing the crack we've been waiting for?

Him attacking Kelly must mean that they think Kelly is about to come out and confirm the story.

This has blown up very quickly and the silence from anyone on the GOP outside the WH is telling.

Where are Tom Cotton or Dan Crenshaw or even Pompeo as ex Military defending him??

This is definitely going to damage him and if Kelly comes out and confirms it, I think the dam breaks and all the "anonymous sources" will go public about all the crap he's been denying for the last 4 years.

Trump has survived about a zillion stories/events that would've sunk a normal politician, and no doubt he'll survive this. His 40% base genuinely don't care about anything. There'll be fake narratives circulating about Kelly's (or whoever the source is) credibility by the morning news cycle and Trump will just keep on truckin' as normal.

• Advertisement

Geoffrey Glodstein doesn't write for The Atlantic, Jeffrey Goldberg does.
    He's also its Editor in Chief. Get the basics right.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

No Trump support will believe a story on the Atlantic by Geoffrey Goldstein

Will they believe it if Gen. Kelly comes out and confirms it? Or will that still be "fake news". Btw, the silence in here tonight from the usual suspects is deafening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Batmannn

Water John wrote: »
    Geoffrey Glodstein doesn't write for The Atlantic, Jeffrey Goldberg does.
    He's also its Editor in Chief. Get the basics right.
    Just heard the name on npr radio and spelled it phonetically

Just heard the name on npr radio and spelled it phonetically

In journalism it's called, fact check.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Detritus70

No Trump supporter will accept any bad story about Trump, because supporting Trump is about dogma, not logic.
    This means that the opinion of anyone who wears The Hat is not worth considering and the person is not worth engaging with.
    All the things that come out about Trump don't serve to sway his followers, because that is not possible. They serve to swerve normal, decent, intelligent people, the moderates who may consider voting for Trump because they think they may get something out of it. The current death toll and unemployment rate may be the best argument though .
    The narrative you're hearing is entirely ignoring Trump's hardcore fans, because they are as indoctrinated as members of a sect, so it's not worth engaging with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can't see this making any difference. This isn't even new, video footage and tweets of Trump bad mouthing McCain and POWs posted here before, it's in the wild; his penchant for bad-mouthing the military as "losers" for death or capture is noted. Factual. The gold star Khan family won't be surprised by any of this, that's for sure. Maybe this latest will sway more Undecideds but even proper military families within the Trump Base will sniff about Fake News and keeping hugging their maga hats. Says a lot though that even Fox News are corroborating the story.

And to be truthful: while I find America's cultural obsession with military service to be bordering on the fetishistic and zealous, I still respect those who serve and put their lives on the line for something beyond themselves. Still takes much to put yourself in harm's way and would never demean the individuals; only their paymasters who send them to war. Trump's ignorance to even respect that choice or strength speaks volumes to his sociopathy / psychopathy (delete where appropriate). His barometer of "weakness" is pathetic, and you know were captured he'd be the first to fold. The first to spill the plans to the enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,544 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

It seems Trump has decided to save the Stars and Stripes newspaper according to MSN following a tweet from him that "the United States of America will NOT be cutting funding to @starsandstripes magazine under my watch" yesterday afternoon. Thing is one has to ask if it was a manufactured "good deed" story to rescue his falling re-election approval ratings due to the amount of such produced stories from within his Admin.

I think his statement about retired General J Kelly and the leaks referencing his own disparaging remarks about the U.S military who fell in France in WW1 is to smoke out those within his Admin team he sees as acting against him. The one quoted graveyard remark asking "who were the good guys?" doesn't sit well when looked at as it implies some other people [the enemy they died fighting] were possibly the good guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I agree.

What you may not realise is, nobody really cares anymore what the trump support believe or don't believe, law of diminishing returns. It simply ain't necessary or even possible given the time constraints to worry about what trump supporters believe or try to "save them" from themselves, that part is over.

It's the majority of the eligible voters that are important, not the 30+% of them that will clap if the guy takes a **** on the desk in the oval.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,441 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Without being pushed he basically confirmed Kelly as a source. This is crazy stuff.

Well Maggie habberman of the New York Times tweeted when the article in the Atlantic came out that she hoped general Kelly would confirm this story on the record which could mean he’s confirmed it off the record.

• Advertisement

"Don't look at this, look at that."

Convince me that he isn't Putin's patsy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54039710?intlink_from_url=&link_location=live-reporting-story
    President Donald Trump has refused to condemn Russia over the poisoning of opposition figure Alexei Navalny, saying he had not seen proof.

He said the case was "tragic" but urged reporters to focus instead on China, which he said was a bigger threat to the world than Russia.

Nato and Germany say there is "proof beyond doubt" that Mr Navalny was attacked with a Novichok nerve agent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement