Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,050 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

You know he's gonna boast about that stat though at some point - you just know it

"You know I had half, if not more, at least half, thats 50% or 55%.... Nobody's ever seen numbers like it, and it was so perfect, so beautiful. Many people said, I had people coming up to me saying excuse me Mr President do you know that you have more than anybody else in history. I didn't know that, but a lot of people have been saying it and its not a small number its a landslide, the numbers are incredible by far the most of any President"

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It’s the highest from a sitting President's own party ever.

The four not voting for him count when the vote is tallied, as they helped make the majority vote bigger.

Watching images of Nat Gd troops in uniform being given a guided tour around the statue hall in the Capitol building a week after the insurrectionists rampaging through the same building is settling after a fashion. If they try a 2nd rampage bid, they won't be met with the reception from last week. As a warning, it should settle into insurrectionist heads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

aloyisious wrote: »
    Watching images of Nat Gd troops in uniform being given a guided tour around the statue hall in the Capitol building a week after the insurrectio-nists rampaging through the same building is settling after a fashion. If they try a 2nd rampage bid, they won't be met with the reception from last week. As a warning, it should settle into insurrectionist heads.

Are they screening such new troops for Qanon etc leanings I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Rjd2 wrote: »
    A lot of the House republicans are genuinely scared of the Trump base from a violence POV. Yep they are some who are merely seeking to advance their career, but others are genuinely scared of been killed.

Its all well and good from boards.ie to pontificate but its much more complicated than many suggest.

I'd bet no small amount of money Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib have been under a comparable level of threat since taking office though. I've no doubt the threat is legitimate, but it's a threat they fostered and continue to. They had a chance to neuter him with significant moral cover among middle America, but they arguably let him off the hook instead. It's hard to see how this stabilises the situation for the next few days, and I really don't think the mob was going to be overly discerning about who got a pat on the head and who got hurt last week.

Every day the GOP doesn't take any real step to deal with their pet monster it grows, and it's not always predictable who becomes its target next. They could come to regret letting the opportunity to act with this level of public support pass them by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,798 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

strandroad wrote: »
    Are they screening such new troops for Qanon etc leanings I wonder?

I'd say it would be a prudent decision. Reading comments from Parler is scary stuff, a lot of these angry types seem to be Vets or connected to the military.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

It's supposedly the 300 Spartans' response to the Persians when they told them to lay down their arms ie surrender. Fine, cool, I get the relevance, but the Persians went on to do exactly that, they slaughtered the Spartans to a man and did, in fact, take their weapons at their leisure from the corpses afterwards? So as a badass battle cry it's rather hollow.

I know that kind of nuance is lost on them, but it's just another one of those things you have to narrow your eyes at every time you see it. Their weird Sparta fetish is absurd in every dimension - show me Sparta on a map today, I can show you Athens no problem.
    The Sparta stuff is 100% because Gerard Butler was all muscley and hyper sexualised by Zack Snyder, and shouted where they were before kicking a man down a hole.

That's it. That's all it has to do with. They have no idea that if there was a "bad guy" in that debacle, it was the Spartans (who weren't exactly all about the will of the people, to put it mildly).

I see they stuck him in front of the teleprompter again, hopefully his supporters listen to him. Of course he didn't mean a word of it, we know that, but they do seem to just go on whatever the last thing he said was forgetting the past. Keep him locked up now for he week and leave that be his last words on the matter!!

Tried to watch fox, failed.

He has disavowed the people who stormed the capitol building, he has said no supporter of his can engage in violence and must respect the laws.

Was that so hard like?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Biden must be very frustrated that this clown is going to dominate the early days of his presidency.

Not ideal, but it does need to be done. It can't be allowed to set precedent for what is acceptable from a president. The incitement and the election tampering.

Manchin made some good points yesterday about delaying the trial in the senate and doing it right because he didn't want a re run of the last one. Again, can't see Biden wanting it to drag on for the first 3/4 months of his administration though.

I see they stuck him in front of the teleprompter again, hopefully his supporters listen to him. Of course he didn't mean a word of it, we know that, but they do seem to just go on whatever the last thing he said was forgetting the past. Keep him locked up now for he week and leave that be his last words on the matter!!

Tried to watch fox, failed.

He has disavowed the people who stormed the capitol building, he has said no supporter of his can engage in violence and must respect the laws.

Was that so hard like?

To say stuff he clearly doesn't believe and was obviously written for him by someone like Mitch, I'd say he felt like he was choking

• Advertisement

DubInMeath wrote: »
    To say stuff he clearly doesn't believe and was obviously written for him by someone like Mitch, I'd say he felt like he was choking

Nah he's always just playing a role, it's a reality TV gig to him. He doesn't give a flying **** about what he says once he can continue to do what he wants if that makes sense. Self preservation is his only motivation there.

What most have really hurt today though was not having the ability to live tweet the impeachment session. Must have absolutely killed him!

I'd imagine that statement tonight was crafted by the white House counsel so it can be pointed to as evidence the president has disavowed violence and those who commit violence in his name, throwing those people under the bus is water off his back sure. He does not give a rat's ass about anyone or anything.

I'd bet he is on full on self pity mode at the moment tbh.

Biden must be very frustrated that this clown is going to dominate the early days of his presidency.

Not ideal, but it does need to be done. It can't be allowed to set precedent for what is acceptable from a president. The incitement and the election tampering.

Manchin made some good points yesterday about delaying the trial in the senate and doing it right because he didn't want a re run of the last one. Again, can't see Biden wanting it to drag on for the first 3/4 months of his administration though.

If he does a Gerald Ford a lot of people will never forgive him.
    Sure the trump supporters aren't going to be happy but nothing he does will make them happy anyway.
    I know he wants to try and be seen as bringing back some form of unity, but if he does pardon trump or anyone associated with his administration it's just sends out the wrong signal to these type of people.

Nah he's always just playing a role, it's a reality TV gig to him. He doesn't give a flying **** about what he says once he can continue to do what he wants if that makes sense. Self preservation is his only motivation there.

What most have really hurt today though was not having the ability to live tweet the impeachment session. Must have absolutely killed him!

I'd imagine that statement tonight was crafted by the white House counsel so it can be pointed to as evidence the president has disavowed violence and those who commit violence in his name, throwing those people under the bus is water off his back sure. He does not give a rat's ass about anyone or anything.

I'd bet he is on full on self pity mode at the moment tbh.

It does make sense. But it also makes sense, at least from what we've all seen of him that he had to say what he said because he doesn't believe it and it was plainly written by someone else. That and the fact that he had to stick to the script and not have a rant, must have been choking him*.

*In my opinion anyway.

Not a hope Biden does anything in the situation, he's too long in the game to get involved. Behind the scenes he would be urging them to get this done asap though I'd be sure of that. He would like this all to just go away now he has enough **** to walk into day 1 without this dominating the agenda for too long.

The game is up for trump, professionally and personally imo. I just think most of us, never mind most of the people who need to clean up his mess just want this to be over and we can stop hearing from trump and about trump on a daily basis.

Not a hope Biden does anything in the situation, he's too long in the game to get involved. Behind the scenes he would be urging them to get this done asap though I'd be sure of that. He would like this all to just go away now he has enough **** to walk into day 1 without this dominating the agenda for too long.

The game is up for trump, professionally and personally imo. I just think most of us, never mind most of the people who need to clean up his mess just want this to be over and we can stop hearing from trump and about trump on a daily basis.

You are correct that he's got a lot of work to do and a good bit of that will be tidying up after trump and his administration. But will be a while before we stop hearing about him, a lot of people are waiting in the wings for him to become a private citizen again and finish what they have had to put on hold.
    If any of that happens Biden is going to be asked about it regardless of the topic he's actually discussing, sure he has the savvy to not get bogged down in it but it's going to be frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Any link to his speech?

Making and holding certain serving senators and congresspersons liable for the consequences of their actions is governed by sections of this article of the constitution...

https://www.heritage.org/constitution/articles/1/essays/26/privilege-from-arrest

Privilege from Arrest
    ARTICLE I, SECTION 6, CLAUSE 1
    The Senators and Representatives...shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony, and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same....

The Privilege from Arrest Clause provides a Member of Congress a privilege from civil arrest only, but not from other civil processes. Even the privilege from civil arrest would be valid only while Congress is in session.

I looked for information on this to see what and how the FBI would be obliged to behave towards senators and congress persons in respect of the Capitol attack investigation and any possible assistance knowingly given to the insurgents in advance of the attack should relevant evidence come to attention of the FBI from any source during or after the investigation.

Edit: Now that we're past the actual election and it been read into the U.S national record, mine above probably doesn't fit in with or apply directly to the thread topic, so if the moderators want to remove this post, work away. It'd probably fit in better with technicalities of his trial on any thread covering his trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,547 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The Washington Post is reporting that Trump doesn't want to pay Rudy Guiliani for his services in defending him during all the trials.

WH staffers are apparently blocking Rudy's calls to the president.

It's well known Trump has often never paid contractors.

Looks like Rudy is learning the hard way. And after all he went through and humiliating himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Any link to his speech?

Wonder how his supporters who are looking down the barrel of federal convictions feel after him telling them about 176 hours ago that he would never back down, or never surrender.

The Washington Post is reporting that Trump doesn't want to pay Rudy Guiliani for his services in defending him during all the trials.

Looks like Rudy is learning the hard way. And after all he went through and humiliating himself!

It might be that his White House advisors told him that having a personal lawyer representing him in the senate trial claiming "my client had nothing to do with the Capitol attack" after the lawyer had mouthed off to the attackers about trial by combat wouldn't go down well with the jurors there.

I had been waiting for the moment the other lawyer, Alan Dershowitz, supposed to be representing him there, the expert on constitutional law, turned to the jurors and told them that as they were victims of the attack "you are biased either way about my client and cannot render a true verdict on him" but...

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/trump-impeachment-defense-in-crisis-with-giuliani-named-in-evidence/ar-BB1cJoYS

Trump will have to do without the services inside the Senate chamber of prominent constitutional lawyer Alan Dershowitz, who joined his team last year and appeared in the Senate chamber. 'I will be defending the First Amendment in the court of public opinion, not in the Senate,' Dershowitz told DailyMail.com. He didn't say whether Trump had asked him to serve in his defense.

The present White House Counsel, Pat Cipollone, who was with Trump at his 1st trial, might not be there either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This was the big thing about why Trump couldn't go ahead with pardoning Rudy because he owed him so much to him a pardon could be prosecuted as a payoff of his debts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Wonder how his supporters who are looking down the barrel of federal convictions feel after him telling them about 176 hours ago that he would never back down, or never surrender.

Not a problem...:rolleyes:they will see this as (and it is!!) him reading of a prompter to say things to make him look good and try keep him out of jail. They know he is racist pig and he has their back and he is one of them. But sometimes you have to hide your racism when in polite company or give a speech to the nation on national TV.

The ignorant mom and pops who got caught up in this cult and went with flow with the mob to the Capital Building I feel a small bit sorry for, nah I don't, but the rest of the crazies they see getting arrested as being a matter pf pride. They really do think they are the next patriots eg its 1776

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

It is like an entirely different person- an extraordinary about turn in tone and content. The Q Anons in particular must feel completely betrayed as he appears to be almost literally a deity to them. They will be choking on their organic prison food for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

hirondelle wrote: »
    It is like an entirely different person- an extraordinary about turn in tone and content. The Q Anons in particular must feel completely betrayed as he appears to be almost literally a deity to them. They will be choking on their organic prison food for years to come.

LOL just give it five minutes for them to pivot to explain its because hes under duress from the rest of the GOP, being bribed or its just a deepfake

• Registered Users Posts: 15,499 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Telling that he didn't mention the policeman that was killed by name. Or even particularly allude to the fact. He has in the past invited gun-toting neighbours that threatened protesters simply because they cam close to their house.

He also makes it very clear to draw a clear parallel between the event of Wednesday and the BLM protests. Both sides!

There is no current threat anticipated by the FBI from BLM. No BLM has attempted to storm the capital and potentially kill congress members.

This is nothing more than an attempt to distance himself from the monster than he created. If anything does happen he can refer back to this and claim he did everything he could.

He calls for peace and unity, yet cannot even bring himself to go to the inauguration? He still hasn't congratulated Biden and Harris on their win. He has offered to do everything he can do make their term a success, as their success is America's success.

He hasn't admitted that he played a role in fomenting these peoples disenfranchisement with the system and that he now will work with all parties to help heal the country.

It a CYA video, nothing more.

Edit : and yet another example of Trump being completely wrong. At what point to his supporters realise that on almost any subject, Trump will end up having to utrun and back track.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

The main takeaways from a Senate Impeachment conviction are Trump loses:
    • His Presidential Pension
    • His Secret Service detail
    • The ability to run again in 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 11,163 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Inquitus wrote: »

The title of president too I think

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Inquitus wrote: »

He can keep the SS detail for awhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,668 ✭✭✭✭josip

Expected Senate numbers in favour of impeachment are what, min 55 - max 60 ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Igotadose wrote: »
    He can keep the SS detail for awhile.

I'd expect they only get stood down for the duration of any prison sentence. Regardless of anything else it is still in the interests of the country that nobody shoots or kidnaps him as he's still a former president whatever.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement