Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

Even Tom has probably unfriended him by now.
    The only online account he has left is his Eir account.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Rep Greene, the QAnon representative, just gave her speech on the floor of the House of Representatives, broadcast live on CNN, while wearing a facemask saying "censored".

Not sure it gets more hypocritical than that.

Yesterday she wore a mask saying 'Molon Labe' which translates as 'Come and Get them'

A week after congress was overrun with second degree fantacists in cosplay gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yesterday she wore a mask saying 'Molon Labe' which translates as 'Come and Get them'

A week after congress was overrun with second degree fantacists in cosplay gear.

Incredibly broken country.

This year will be eventful.

Covid isn't the half of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It's so strange to me that right wing gun nuts latched on to that phrase.

It's supposedly the 300 Spartans' response to the Persians when they told them to lay down their arms ie surrender. Fine, cool, I get the relevance, but the Persians went on to do exactly that, they slaughtered the Spartans to a man and did, in fact, take their weapons at their leisure from the corpses afterwards? So as a badass battle cry it's rather hollow.

I know that kind of nuance is lost on them, but it's just another one of those things you have to narrow your eyes at every time you see it. Their weird Sparta fetish is absurd in every dimension - show me Sparta on a map today, I can show you Athens no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

It's so strange to me that right wing gun nuts latched on to that phrase.

It's supposedly the 300 Spartans' response to the Persians when they told them to lay down their arms ie surrender. Fine, cool, I get the relevance, but the Persians went on to do exactly that, they slaughtered the Spartans to a man and did, in fact, take their weapons at their leisure from the corpses afterwards? So as a badass battle cry it's rather hollow.

I know that kind of nuance is lost on them, but it's just another one of those things you have to narrow your eyes at every time you see it. Their weird Sparta fetish is absurd in every dimension - show me Sparta on a map today, I can show you Athens no problem.

It's similar to the popular NRA slogan 'I'll give you my gun when you pry it from my cold, dead hands'.

It's not that strange when you consider that much of their rhetoric and symbolism seems more appropriate to that of a violent death cult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

listermint wrote: »
    Incredibly broken country.

This year will be eventful.

Covid isn't the half of it

There's going to be 400K recorded deaths by the time Biden is inaugurated.
    There were 407K US military deaths in WW2 across 4 years and about 105K since then.

They have spent over 30 Trillion in that time on the military with their rhetoric of 'fighting for our freedom'. Last year saw a refusal to act on Covid with claims of 'we have to protect the economy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

One Republican from Ohio broke ranks, that'll annoy Jim Jordan.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Only 7 Republicans in Congress so far have voted for impeachment

The rest are all hostage to the base

• Registered Users Posts: 53,977 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Some of them are afraid of what Trumps base would do to them too it seems

Sickening they are such cowards

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Up to nine now, can't see any more switching sides but it's still surprising.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

So, if he doesn't lose his protection detail on the 20th but the authorities make an arrest, will they have someone from the Secret Service sit in a cell with him so he doesn't get shivved to death for a Mars Bar?

Headshot wrote: »

To be fair from their perspective I can see why.

Voting against Trump for most of them is a turkey voting for Christmas.

Problem is not so much the politicians as Trump's hold on key voters for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

That's a very sad political system that we're watching. There's still near total support in the Republican house caucus for a man that encouraged an attack on the US capitol. Mind boggling.

That's it now. Happy Impeachment Day!

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    That's a very sad political system that we're watching. There's still near total support in the Republican house caucus for a man that encouraged an attack on the US capitol. Mind boggling.

That's it now. Happy Impeachment Day!

They literally have no choice. Hostages to Trump's psychotic base.

They vote to impeach and not only are they toast but chances are someone worse gets put in instead.

Can't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So there are double digit GOP congressmen and women who have voted to impeach Donald trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So there are double digit GOP congressmen and women who have voted to impeach Donald trump.

So only 10 who have any kind of conscience.

So basically all those who voted against the impeachment move voted for the man who brought the insurrectionists into the house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,954 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Sexual impropriety warranted impeachment in the eyes of Clinton era republicans but stoking actual insurrection? That's simply politics apparently. What a broken, sad and miserable system that fails to do even the bare minimum in the name of itself. And ultimately, this is just more grist for the mill, this can't be the first belligerent move by those embracing the far right. This rot will only continue if the likes of Cruz choose to encourage it. IMO this isn't over by a long shot and may get worse before it gets better.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,977 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

aloyisious wrote: »
    So basically all those who voted against the impeachment move voted for the man who brought the insurrectionists into the house.

Who's responsible for the deaths during the attack on the capital

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭banie01

4 GOP abstentions and 1 Dem, weird vote to miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

banie01 wrote: »
    4 GOP abstentions and 1 Dem, weird vote to miss.

Isn't one of the Dems isolating with Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

They can all vote by proxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think that last Dem came in just at the very last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,677 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

embraer170 wrote: »
    So only 10 who have any kind of conscience.

It’s the highest from a sitting President's own party ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Yep, but as Jeff has said she had been due to vote by proxy.
    Looks like it has been tallied to the count now and it leaves 4 GOP abstentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,813 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

"I could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn’t lose voters” Trump 2016

Judging from the reaction of the GOP and it's voter-base, Trump could get banned off every social media platform, incite an insurrection and be impeached twice and still have a chance of winning in 2024. Calling it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Trump is getting good at these Impeachments. Twice in 12 months. He now has 50% of all Impeachments, ever. 50%, that's better than votes he got in both elections....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do not get me started.

There were 300 Spartans AND 700 Thespians.

The Spartans were eventually defeated by the Sacred Band of Thebes. The GOP would not approve.

It looks like the upshot will be that the/any trial will begin after Joe Biden is sworn in as president and Mitch McConnell has stood down as senate majority leader leaving Mitch with the best of results: it's NOT a GOP run trial but he and other republican senators who want to dump Trump from links with the GOP can vote with their consciences clear as they are NOT trying a GOP president, just a former president.

It might seem semantical but the history books can end up recording an Aye vote as being against a strongly disliked former president not a sitting GOP president and if Mitch & Co on the senate GOP seats leave it like that without partisan rancour, the Dems and OTHER Aye voters will merely be convicting a former president of a federal crime against the U.S constitution and people, ridding the GOP of the millstone around it's neck and honour satisfied on both sides. The way should be clear for non-partisan deals in the senate for Joe and Mitch there. A lot of slagging was made about Trump's orange skin-tone in the past, just imagine how he would look in an orange jumpsuit.

If any GOP congress persons act up physically against the result, they can be dealt with federally without hope of a friendly president or judges and end up wearing orange jumpsuits for a decade or two. The law enforcement community would be happy to provide security for those from the house responsible for the death of two CPD cops into the bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,028 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Headshot wrote: »

A lot of the House republicans are genuinely scared of the Trump base from a violence POV. Yep they are some who are merely seeking to advance their career, but others are genuinely scared of been killed.

Its all well and good from boards.ie to pontificate but its much more complicated than many suggest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement