Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If he flies into a US Air Base on the 19th then of course she can't stop him.

What happens on the 20th or 21st when he fancies some golf is the question.
    Tbh, it doesn't really matter.

One way or another he will still be a former President and entitled to a diplomatic passport.

The UK (or any other European country) is not going to try to arrest or deport him on some petty charge like breaching quarantine. The US will still defend the dignity of the Presidential office even if it's already a clown show.

They may go to the U.S. embassy and ask them to do something about it, but aside from bringing AF1 and their security agents home, the U.S. isn't going to do anything unless he gets charged with something serious at home.

These are all amusing "can you imagine it" scenarios, but it's fantasy IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55643774

Trumps YouTube channel suspended, this year just keeps getting better

Delighted. Not that I knew he had one.
    Water John wrote: »
    If he's impeached, in the future he won't have a protection detail.

Not just impeached but impeached a second time remember and the only US president ever to be impeached twice. I really hope it happens seen as that coward Mike Pence would not do the 25th amendment. He is just as bad as Trump maybe worse even.
    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    If I read it right , he loses the budget/allowance that is used to cover "Security & Travel" - This is about a million a year.

Not sure if that means that he can still have a security detail , but he now has to pay for it himself though.
    I would be delighted for him. Be a bit hard to pay a million a year when your basically bust and whatever funds you have are going down not up and even if his supporters funded him for a while I would say they too will eventually get bored of doing that and stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,567 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Watching Ken Buck [R] on CNN doing his worst to say it's Joe Biden behind the impeachment move. The interviewer is rebuffing his moves by pointing out that congress members are behind the charge and Ken then changes his approach slightly by saying "i'm suggesting to you". He has made reference to the people who came to Washington being responsible for the Capitol event.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,532 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I agree with Pence on the 25th though. Having unelected people decide that a POTUS is tossed aside is not a path that any democracy should be looking to go down.

It is there, primarily in my opinion, to deal with sickness, kidnapping etc. Where basically the person is unable to carry out their duties and obligations. While Trump may not be carrying out properly, or even at all, he could and as such the role of the 25th isn't really in play.

Thus the impeachment is the right way to go. It should be up to the other strands of government to make such a decision, hence impeachment.

That is not to say that is the reason Pence isn't doing anything, much more likely that it is simply self-preservation and not wanting to be the one to pull the trigger, but the end is the same

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If he flies into a US Air Base on the 19th then of course she can't stop him.

What happens on the 20th or 21st when he fancies some golf is the question.

And don't forget, on the 20th Biden can order AF1 to fly back to Washington either with or without citizen Trump.

Scottish authorities could possibly arrest Trump on the 20th for entering the country illegally and even deport him.

I'm not saying this will happen just throwing out possible scenarios, although the way this year has gone so far who knows what might happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I agree with Pence on the 25th though. Having unelected people decide that a POTUS is tossed aside is not a path that any democracy should be looking to go down.

It is there, primarily in my opinion, to deal with sickness, kidnapping etc. Where basically the person is unable to carry out their duties and obligations. While Trump may not be carrying out properly, or even at all, he could and as such the role of the 25th isn't really in play.

Thus the impeachment is the right way to go. It should be up to the other strands of government to make such a decision, hence impeachment.

That is not to say that is the reason Pence isn't doing anything, much more likely that it is simply self-preservation and not wanting to be the one to pull the trigger, but the end is the same

The fact that you need to have a majority of your own cabinet, and the VP, and 2/3 of the House and Senate to all agree that he would need to be removed would make it one of the most robust measures for fairly removing a head of state one could imagine. It pretty much cannot be abused. The only circumstance where all would agree would be if it were genuinely merited.

Sure, in Ireland you can collapse the government or remove the Taoiseach with a simple majority in the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,813 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Excuse my ignorance here, but what's to stop a future e.g. GOP house repeatedly attempting to impeach a Dem president? (as a nuisance measure)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If I read it right , he loses the budget/allowance that is used to cover "Security & Travel" - This is about a million a year.

Not sure if that means that he can still have a security detail , but he now has to pay for it himself though.

I seem to remember something about Clinton (Bill) changed the rules regarding what level of protection ex-presidents and their families got and for how long or who paid for it, but that it only applied to those that followed him. Can't remember what exactly the change was though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Dohnjoe wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance here, but what's to stop a future e.g. GOP house repeatedly attempting to impeach a Dem president? (as a nuisance measure)

Technically nothing , politically dangerous though.

If the GOP were to take control of either chamber in 2022 I fully expect them to initiate an absolute deluge of "committees" investigating Biden but more likely Harris is an effort to disparage her in advance of her likely Election run in 2024.

Exactly like they did with Clinton over Benghazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

They certainly can try. The issue is that you need a majority of the House and a 2/3 majority in the Senate to do so successfully.

For the next two years at least, they won't have the opportunity to try, and beyond that, they'll need a majority in the House to even set the ball rolling. It's virtually impossible that a Republican senate will ever have the votes to convict if its purely along partisan lines.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,966 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-55643774

Trumps YouTube channel suspended, this year just keeps getting better

Hmmm so is that him completely deplatformed then? Seems like every major social media network has canned his account - is there anyone mainstream left? There's always Vimeo I guess, ha

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Probably nothing, just like there was nothing to stop them from making a mockery of the previous impeachment trial in the senate by not calling any witnesses and just pretending that it wasn't actually happening.

The Supreme Court would probably then get brought in to play and as they are not tied to any particular president or party, as they have already shown despite Trumps best efforts, they would put a halt to whatever nonsense is going on.

Prior to last week , he was absolutely going to hold a rally on the 20th, rambling on about the stolen election etc. etc.

He would still probably love to do that , but you'd have to guess that his legal team are expending a huge amount of effort to talk him out of that now.

If he does (and he probably will, because he's a petulant child) he will expose himself to even further charges of sedition and incitement.

And , if he holds the rally and someone somewhere does something dangerous , which is sadly a near certainty then he'll be responsible for that too.

I could imagine the security searching on any of the rally participants if it was held in the DC area would be strict with no excuses taken if embargoed items were found in their possession, whatever for the security checks at out of town sites. Re the standard set here for events, the seizure of flag-poles and banners would be amusing to behold [sorry, nothing likely for use as a weapon allowed beyond this point].

His lawyer costs must be huge, even for him, with his likely loss of income to be factored in, what with Rudy providing [maybe] his legal services Pro-bono.

CNN has an interview now with a sister and brother [he has two of each] of Rep Goser [R] calling for his removal from congress office [if he himself does not resign] after Ali Alexander linked him in personal conversations to the planning of unlawful actions against Govt locations similar to the Capitol. Rep Goser's sister and brother said they cant explain his radical attitude, that he's changed in the past years. It's a reflection of the times that more families are being torn apart by the current internal GOP political attitude/loyalty to Trump, the Conway family split being an earlier version.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

It's not holding the rally - As you say , that's just utterly classless, but not illegal.

It's the fact that no matter what script he's handed , he will absolutely veer off and rant about Corruption and how the Presidency was stolen etc. etc.

He will also not be able to stop himself talking about "keeping up the fight" or similar language.

I am pretty sure trump does not see the point of peaceful demonstrations

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm so is that him completely deplatformed then? Seems like every major social media network has canned his account - is there anyone mainstream left? There's always Vimeo I guess, ha

Bebo?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

duploelabs wrote: »
    Bebo?

He may have an old MySpace account...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭volchitsa

aloyisious wrote: »
    CNN has an interview now with a sister and brother [he has two of each] of Rep Goser [R] calling for his removal from congress office [if he himself does not resign] after Ali Alexander linked him in personal conversations to the planning of unlawful actions against Govt locations similar to the Capitol. Rep Goser's sister and brother said they cant explain his radical attitude, that he's changed in the past years. It's a reflection of the times that more families are being torn apart by the current internal GOP political attitude/loyalty to Trump, the Conway family split being an earlier version.

Gosar is the guy whose siblings already released a campaign ad against him before the election. Mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

aloyisious wrote: »

They campaigned on behalf of his opponent during the election, as I recall they were in an ad the opponent ran. Gosar is certifiably nutz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

A president that doesn’t commit treason and incite terrorism for his own seditious needs

If it were that simple it would be good, but you should have definitely get the hint from the Republicans over the past week that they will do *anything* to grab power. I'd say a few frivolous impeachments wouldn't be off the radar if they got the numbers in the house to put it to a senate vote.

Having said that, it's worth remembering a week and a half ago that yer man's recorded call to the Georgia Sec of State should have been enough to trigger an impeachment hearing in any event. I'm wondering where that event will leave Trump legally speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Christy42

check_six wrote: »
    If it were that simple it would be good, but you should have definitely get the hint from the Republicans over the past week that they will do *anything* to grab power. I'd say a few frivolous impeachments wouldn't be off the radar if they got the numbers in the house to put it to a senate vote.

Having said that, it's worth remembering a week and a half ago that yer man's recorded call to the Georgia Sec of State should have been enough to trigger an impeachment hearing in any event. I'm wondering where that event will leave Trump legally speaking.

I mean they probably will try and impeach Biden for the fun of it if they get the numbers to do it safely.

However they will do that whether or not this current impeachment goes ahead so it largely seems irrelevant.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I mean they probably will try and impeach Biden for the fun of it if they get the numbers to do it safely.

However they will do that whether or not this current impeachment goes ahead so it largely seems irrelevant.

Jim Jordan, who is now trying to get Liz Cheney demoted from her position in the GOP leadership as she is pro the Trump impeachment, is the chair of the House Judiciary Committee so he would have to approve any such move against the other party's president. He is a total supporter of Trump and is against any impeachment move against Trump. To get the chair of the judiciary committee, he stood down from the chair of the House Oversight Committee which can investigate the activities of Govt agencies AND the President. I get the notion that that particular chair would be very uncomfortable for him right now, even though it would have been handy to suppress any house investigation into his friend's words and deeds last Wednesday. It's worth noting Jim got the Medal of Freedom from Trump on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,088 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

check_six wrote: »

I'd wonder if they can go after him for federal crimes when he leaves office for the phonecall attempting to steal the election.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,679 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Jesus Jim Jordan has found a suit jacket.

So Jim Jordan is giving a greatest hits and lying.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Jesus Jim Jordan has found a suit jacket.

This is one of the worst speeches I have ever heard.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd wonder if they can go after him for federal crimes when he leaves office for the phonecall attempting to steal the election.

They probably could and ironically (poetically?) , the charge would be Attempted Election Fraud

What has any of this got to do with trumps conduct ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Podge_irl wrote: »
    This is one of the worst speeches I have ever heard.

He's talking about breaking the sound barrier and going to the moon.

I am not 100% sure what exactly this has to do with Trump. But its the predictable plea for unity from someone who a week ago was refusing to recognise the results of the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i don't think the senate will convict.

• Advertisement

froog wrote: »
    i don't think the senate will convict.

The impeachment will pass because the house will vote for it.

Edit: seems there was a ninja edit. I think it may not pass but it may get very close.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement