Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

From the man himself. Or do his own words not count when it's him in the firing line?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/398887965302091776?s=20

Remember that thing you said 7 years ago?

I'm holding that against you now. Flakey at best

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭feelings

Exactly right. Now you're getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Of course they do. They aren't held to account enough in most cases. We rumble on from scandal to scandal here.

In the American case Trump was very poor from the start. Always one eye on the election and economy. He doesn't give a hoot about the common man or woman.

If you want to throw Trump under the bus I'd suggest throwing the governors in there too. The mayor of New York goes in second

"What about the states' governors?" is just that, whataboutery. I agree they've done badly, and that lots of countries did poorly too. How does that make Trump's behaviour okay? They all wanted to be in power, and that means taking responsibilty - it's the grown up definition of political power (as opposed to the toddler one, of having subordinates to pander to your every whim, which seems to be Trump's view).

For all of them, IMO, their records should be thoroughly examined and they should have to answer for their mistakes. The time for that may be after the main panic is over, but it needs to be done.

In the meantime, even a cursory glance shows that Trump has been particularly disastrous. He's in another league from most heads of state - probably only his pal Bolsonaro has done worse. If some of the state governors end up in that basket too, so be it. It's possible that Cuomo made a huge mistake with the care homes, and if so, he should pay the price too.

volchitsa wrote: »
    "What about the states' governors?" is just that, whataboutery. I agree they've done badly, and that lots of countries did poorly too. How does that make Trump's behaviour okay? They all wanted to be in power, and that means taking responsibilty - it's the grown up definition of political power (as opposed to the toddler one, of having subordinates to pander to your every whim, which seems to be Trump's view).

For all of them, IMO, their records should be thoroughly examined and they should have to answer for their mistakes. The time for that may be after the main panic is over, but it needs to be done.

In the meantime, even a cursory glance shows that Trump has been particularly disastrous. He's in another league from most heads of state - probably only his pal Bolsonaro has done worse. If some of the state governors end up in that basket too, so be it. It's possible that Cuomo made a huge mistake with the care homes, and if so, he should pay the price too.

You first sentence said looking at state governors (in a federal system) is whataboutery

Next paragraph says they should be investigated in time.

Which is it?

If you quickly skim through this you will get an idea how a federal system works. Might clear up some areas.

https://www.lawteacher.net/free-law-essays/constitutional-law/the-federal-system-of-government-constitutional-law-essay.php

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Christy42

You first sentence said looking at state governors (in a federal system) is whataboutery

Which is it?

If you quickly skim through this you will get an idea how a federal system works. Might clear up some areas.

https://www.lawteacher.net/free-law-essays/constitutional-law/the-federal-system-of-government-constitutional-law-essay.php

How do you think Trump (see thread title) is handling the pandemic. Especially with regards to minimising the severity of it. Encouraging places to open too soon, discouraging the use of masks, attempting to discredit the CDC and attempting to hold massive indoor events?

He does not have all the power in the US but can you deny he has a lot of it? Oh feel free to add on a bit about him threatening governors who didn't follow the Trump line. I believe there was a nice prayer day in there somewhere. So he can have effect. If he has had a positive effect in terms of keeping numbers lower at any point feel free to stick that in as well.

Your posts come off as desperately trying to talk about anyone but Donald Trump in the Donald Trump thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,052 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Which is it?

No, I'm saying that at this stage using the alleged record of one leader (state governor or another country altogether) to mitigate actual failings by someone else - in this case Trump, who is the subject of the thread - is whataboutery.

Secondly, after the main crisis is over, they should all have to explain and justifiy their failings. Obviously one can't have the same expectations from the head of a poor country with an ailing heath service as if the richest country in the world - especially one that we were being told just before this struck, with a flourishing economy.

Similarly with state governors compared to the POTUS - they all have their level of responsibility and powers. I don't think Trump should be blamed for actions that were within the remit of the state. I do think he should be blamed for his own actions. As should they.

But their separate failures don't justify failures by anyone else. Patterns of failure are interesting though. Female leaders seem to have done better than average, "alpha male" leaders, worse than average. Again, that can be looked into after the fact, for now it's just a remark.

Christy42 wrote: »
    How do you think Trump (see thread title) is handling the pandemic. Especially with regards to minimising the severity of it. Encouraging places to open too soon, discouraging the use of masks, attempting to discredit the CDC and attempting to hold massive indoor events?

He does not have all the power in the US but can you deny he has a lot of it? Oh feel free to add on a bit about him threatening governors who didn't follow the Trump line. I believe there was a nice prayer day in there somewhere. So he can have effect. If he has had a positive effect in terms of keeping numbers lower at any point feel free to stick that in as well.

Your posts come off as desperately trying to talk about anyone but Donald Trump in the Donald Trump thread.

Iv made about 8 posts in the last hour. I mentioned trump in at least 6 of them

What about this one:

"I don't like Trump whatsoever. The billionaire who cares about the little guy. Yeah right. His election campaign played a blinder. He will be out on his ear by end of election no doubt. He has helped make the world a worse place.

Trump won because people are desperate. The economy of the world relys on constant growth. People are being left behind. Trump ran on a campaign of blaming the other guy. People fell for it"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭uptherebels

No, it's about not holding others to a higher standard than you hold yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,080 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

You will never agree with me and I will never agree with you.
    Iv accepted it, time you did so too.

Nice little poem

You miss the point.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You’ve posted about something Biden did in the 60s and things presidents did longer than 8 years ago. Trump also gave out about Obama playing golf should that also not count as it happened before he played much more golf? I get your not a Trump fan but it’s this kind that happened in the past thing that lets him away with a ridiculous amount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,454 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Trump spent years slating Obama on Twitter, There's a saying these days when it comes to Trump,

There's always a Tweet.

Because he said it in 13 it's not relevant now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Christy42

Iv made about 8 posts in the last hour. I mentioned trump in at least 6 of them

What about this one:

"I don't like Trump whatsoever. The billionaire who cares about the little guy. Yeah right. His election campaign played a blinder. He will be out on his ear by end of election no doubt. He has helped make the world a worse place.

Trump won because people are desperate. The economy of the world relys on constant growth. People are being left behind. Trump ran on a campaign of blaming the other guy. People fell for it"

And yet you seem committed to arguing for him at every turn. Sure people can't be held accountable for what they said before they realised they wouldn't just be a hurler on the ditch.

And some of those posts are sure Trump is bad but we should talk about X. We have seen it 100 times before. Clinton, Biden, Obama, MSM, now the governors. It frequently comes on the form ah yeah I agree about Trump but how about we focus on something else.

You can argue you are not a Trump supporter all you like. I don't really care. I still disagree with your arguments that he shouldn't be held to his statements he made a few years before he was out into power. Or that he is powerless in a pandemic. Indeed his influence over the US is such that he is likely the most powerful person in the US as a whole even if governors have a little more in individual sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

Trump spent years slating Obama on Twitter, There's a saying these days when it comes to Trump,

There's always a Tweet.

Because he said it in 13 it's not relevant now?

No, because ever since he is POTUS he just does whatever he critizised Obama about constantly and he never takes responsibility for negative things... it’s not about being „flakey“ - this always was his MO. Deflection is another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I love that he's now saying it's great to wear a mask. Now, I'm wondering whether a) he genuinely doesn't remember saying the stuff he has said about masks because he has some sort of mental deficiency or b) he knows that his general support base is so dumb that they won't either remember or care that he's refused to wear a mask thus far. Another interesting and confusing day in Trump-land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I love that he's now saying it's great to wear a mask. Now, I'm wondering whether a) he genuinely doesn't remember saying the stuff he has said about masks because he has some sort of mental deficiency or b) he knows that his general support base is so dumb that they won't either remember or care that he's refused to wear a mask thus far. Another interesting and confusing day in Trump-land.
    I'm gonna go with option b

abGVXM9_700b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Can anyone explain to me what was wrong with Trump’s July 4th speech at Mount Rushmore?

I’ve heard nothing from the media but how “dark” and “divisive” and yada yada. I listened to the speech. Frankly it was a generic patriotic speech that any generic Republican could have given.

There was not a single reference to the Confederate “dead traitors” that Senator Tammy Duckworth accused Trump of defending in the speech. How in the hell can anyone describe the speech as “dark” is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

PropJoe10 wrote: »

There are plenty of bootlickers like this one, just when you think they cannot any more disgusting.

https://twitter.com/KwCongressional/status/1282074636168167424

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    I have no doubt in my mind, the US is heading towards some form of civil war. A narcissistic megalomaniac like Trump simply won't walk away from this. He would rather see the country tear itself apart than admit defeat.

Recent example: His response to Coronavirus

I think civil war is too strong a term to use but I can see a situation developing post election where Trump goes rabble rousing about a fixed election and tells his base to hit the streets, complete with their automatic machine guns. Youve all these weekend warrior militia types in the US and it would only take one of them to take a pot shot at the National Guard who will respond in kind and then it could really kick off. Id imagine the FBI and CIA are already war gaming a scenario like this taking place in preparation for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"intensely masculine" Jesus Christ what kind of "beta" male sycophantic insecurity nonsense is this? Is it really any wonder America's recent CoVid curve is a ski slope with this kind of rationalisation about the most basic common sense approach to prevention. What hope have the sensible when it becomes a question of "manhood". And were I inclined to judge pillars of manliness, Trump wouldn't rank on the list. More like the puffing pretension of power. Hookers, gold leaf and the hair dye of those incapable of ageing with dignity

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

FrostyJack wrote: »
    There are plenty of bootlickers like this one, just when you think they cannot any more disgusting.

https://twitter.com/KwCongressional/status/1282074636168167424

Isn't this exactly what rightwingers would describe as a "cuck"? Sounds like that guy would gladly give his wife to Trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,624 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

"intensely masculine" - definitely sounds like someone that wears make up, fake tan and lifts in his shoes because he's so insecure about his height.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

"intensely masculine" - definitely sounds like someone that wears make up, fake tan and lifts in his shoes because he's so insecure about his height.

Sounds like Roger Stone if you've read much about him

• Registered Users Posts: 81,992 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You’re talking about the same crowd who used to project vociferously about cuckolding. Do you really want to lift that veil?

Overheal wrote: »
    You’re talking about the same crowd who used to project vociferously about cuckolding. Do you really want to lift that veil?

KW Miller isn't our leader. We ran him long ago

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,768 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Mod: A few posts have been deleted. Please refrain from posting snappy comments.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 81,992 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I’m not familiar with who that is?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,657 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Our leader ? I don't follow old chap. That name doesn't even remotely ring a bell.

Edit: after a brief google search it appears KW miller is a Florida politician who is as mad as a box of frogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,256 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

pixelburp wrote: »
    "intensely masculine" Jesus Christ what kind of "beta" male sycophantic insecurity nonsense is this? Is it really any wonder America's recent CoVid curve is a ski slope with this kind of rationalisation about the most basic common sense approach to prevention. What hope have the sensible when it becomes a question of "manhood". And were I inclined to judge pillars of manliness, Trump wouldn't rank on the list. More like the puffing pretension of power. Hookers, gold leaf and the hair dye of those incapable of ageing with dignity

American politics is basically a big convention of absolute window lickers. I genuinely fear for the future of that country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Very interesting thread here by journalist Adam Davidson who has previously done work on Trump's links to Azerbaijan for the New Yorker.

The jist of it is that Trump has been laundering hundreds of millions of dollars through his failing golf courses in the Scotland, Ireland and Florida since around 2010. But whose money? The implication is that the money is Russian and/or Azerbaijani.

https://twitter.com/adamdavidson/status/1282288622134341633

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

pixelburp wrote: »
    As is usual with fascism, there's a deep seated sexual anxiety aspect to Trumpism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement